Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
If you have the patience and want to spend an evening programming, I personally recommend hammerspoon. I use it all the time, couldn't live without it. They have a bunch of user configs as well. It's a really great tiling manager and I have dedicated keys to opening applications.

I do not think it is able to control safari tabs directly, although it does support AppleScript.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Do you actually need it to be Bootcamp? You can always use VirtualBox (or VMWare/Parallels if you want to spend on it) and just set up a dynamic VM.

Personally I use VMWare for work stuff with a bunch of different Linux and Windows VMs run off a USB3.1 T3 SSD Drive. Since the T3 uses USB C, you can get a USB3.1 cable and it's really loving fast.

EDIT: Actually, get the newer T5 drive. It's cheaper and smaller in physical size than the older T3 with same data performance.

Since this came up on the last page. I am trying to decide between VMWare and Parallels I tried using Virtual Box but was met with resounding failure.

From doing some reading it looks like Parallels is easier to use but it seems like they have moved to a yearly subscription?

Is one much better over the other or are they both pretty much the same at this point?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Since this came up on the last page. I am trying to decide between VMWare and Parallels I tried using Virtual Box but was met with resounding failure.

From doing some reading it looks like Parallels is easier to use but it seems like they have moved to a yearly subscription?

Is one much better over the other or are they both pretty much the same at this point?

Parallels is my preferred choice-- it works really well and I can even play some virtualized matches of Unreal Tournament 99 and 2004. But yes, they abandon support for older versions of Parallels for newer versions of macOS.

So, for example: you can buy Parallels 13 now, it will work with High Sierra, but once the next version of macOS comes out, Parallels 13 is likely to break and not be fixed, forcing you to get their next update. If you stay on High Sierra, you'd be able to use Parallels 13 indefinitely, but you'd be stuck on an older version of macOS.

That's how I understand their updates anyway. Parallels 12 took a huge poo poo in High Sierra and wouldn't work until you upgraded to Parallels 13. But it still worked fine in Sierra. Upgrades are cheaper than buying new outright

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

MarcusSA posted:

I used VMWare Fusion while I was still in school, a few years back. It worked pretty well, but I've heard Parallels performs better. VMWare was good for Visual Studio and this somewhat intensive car tuning software I use that's Windows-only. I didn't find it lacking nor difficult to use at all; plenty of options regarding storage/RAM divvying, multiple VMs, full port support, swipes between VMs like any other virtual desktop.

Virtual Box sucks, but it's free so I can't knock it too much. Also, I think VMWare Fusion is deprecated? Last I heard, the team that built it was disbanded. EDIT: Can't find any info on that, but it seems VMWare is still getting updated as of October, so no big deal.

enojy fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 6, 2017

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Parallels is my preferred choice-- it works really well and I can even play some virtualized matches of Unreal Tournament 99 and 2004. But yes, they abandon support for older versions of Parallels for newer versions of macOS.

So, for example: you can buy Parallels 13 now, it will work with High Sierra, but once the next version of macOS comes out, Parallels 13 is likely to break and not be fixed, forcing you to get their next update. If you stay on High Sierra, you'd be able to use Parallels 13 indefinitely, but you'd be stuck on an older version of macOS.

That's how I understand their updates anyway. Parallels 12 took a huge poo poo in High Sierra and wouldn't work until you upgraded to Parallels 13. But it still worked fine in Sierra. Upgrades are cheaper than buying new outright

Yeah this is my biggest reservation about going with Parallels. I like all of the features that they offer but having to upgrade every year seems kinda lovely IMO.

I guess I'm going to have to chew on it for a while.

Thanks for your reply on Parallels.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: High Sierra 10.3.2 has dropped. :siren:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208179

Apple posted:

The macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 Update improves the security, stability, and compatibility of your Mac, and is recommended for all users.

This update:

Improves compatibility with certain third-party USB audio devices.

Improves VoiceOver navigation when viewing PDF documents in Preview.

Improves compatibility of Braille displays with Mail.

Enterprise content:
Improves performance when using credentials stored in the keychain to access SharePoint websites that use NTLM authentication.

Resolves an issue that prevented the Mac App Store and other processes invoked by Launch Daemons from working on networks that use proxy information defined in a PAC file.

If you change your Active Directory user password outside of Users & Groups preferences, the new password can now be used to unlock your FileVault volume (previously, only the old password would unlock the volume).

Improves compatibility with SMB home directories when the share point contains a dollar sign in its name.

Apply through App Store / Software Update, it's 1.66 GB!

Install image has shrunk to 4.8 GB.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 6, 2017

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: High Sierra 10.3.2 has dropped. :siren:

I think I'm gonna wait and see what this breaks before installing again

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I think I'm gonna wait and see what this breaks before installing again

From what I learned today it at the very least breaks Parallels.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Doesn't break VMWare Fusion v.8.5.9 as far as I can tell. :smug:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Apparently it doesn’t fix the 13-month bug. :downs:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The year should be 13 months of 28 days anyway, feature not a bug.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Someone tell Hair Force One macOS is about to flame out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does it fix the broken fix for broken root password thing?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If anyone cares I ended up going with VMware mostly because it lets me do an install on my two Macs where Parallels only lets you run it on one.

So far though VMware is working smoothly and its letting start and nuke my Virtual Machines pretty easily.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

A longtime windows using friend decided to switch to Mac OS this year

I’m the one who recommended Macs to him

I can’t even look him in the eye right now

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Why?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Bought a friend’s 2015 MBA 13” since she was upgrading to a new Pro and the price was right ($500) and she had ordered the highest specs when she got it so it was future proof enough for what I need.

Never had a Mac before so I’m learning, what are decent apps to pick up? I don’t do any gaming, just needed something to store pics/videos/surf the net.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Use Photos.app for pics (unless you are a prosumer/pro photog, then Lightroom). It will handle video files too. Some people prefer Google Photos.

Surf the net - try using Safari, it is the most optimized / battery efficient. If you keep butting heads with Safari, try Chrome or Firefox. I've been enjoying Firefox lately, Chrome is a lot heavier in terms of RAM & CPU usage but it has fewer 'gotchas' (like fullscreen video in Firefox isn't native full screen, and gestures don't work).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Safari primary, Chrome for the odd use case (generally a site stuck in 2005 and needing Flash which it can have self contained, although Safari seems to handle sand boxing Flash pretty well these days). If you have an iPhone, then Safari on both rules for having native OS level passwords in keychain and tab sharing etc. It’s easy to want to use Chrome primarily if you’re a Windows user, but Safari is great.

Most software you use will either have a Mac equivalent or a Mac version. Most sites will use an OS detect script and offer the right one by default.

In the 12 years of using OS X, I still love how much I prefer installing software to windows (unless it’s a lovely port from adobe).

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

Pivo posted:

Use Photos.app for pics (unless you are a prosumer/pro photog, then Lightroom). It will handle video files too. Some people prefer Google Photos.

Surf the net - try using Safari, it is the most optimized / battery efficient. If you keep butting heads with Safari, try Chrome or Firefox. I've been enjoying Firefox lately, Chrome is a lot heavier in terms of RAM & CPU usage but it has fewer 'gotchas' (like fullscreen video in Firefox isn't native full screen, and gestures don't work).

Yeah I'm a big chrome user, even on my 6S, but I've got moderate experience with macOS so Safari is what I'm trying to focus on with this. I guess I never thought that all programs on here you can now download from its own App Store, I thought was more for the phone/tablet market. I've got all my stuff in the google ecosystem for the last 6-7 years, but switching back and forth isn't bad. Feels weird to surf the forums not by app.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Anya posted:

Bought a friend’s 2015 MBA 13” since she was upgrading to a new Pro and the price was right ($500) and she had ordered the highest specs when she got it so it was future proof enough for what I need.

Never had a Mac before so I’m learning, what are decent apps to pick up? I don’t do any gaming, just needed something to store pics/videos/surf the net.

IINA and VLC are the go-tos for videos. IINA is super nice and seems to be a thread favourite.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Anya posted:

Yeah I'm a big chrome user, even on my 6S, but I've got moderate experience with macOS so Safari is what I'm trying to focus on with this. I guess I never thought that all programs on here you can now download from its own App Store, I thought was more for the phone/tablet market. I've got all my stuff in the google ecosystem for the last 6-7 years, but switching back and forth isn't bad. Feels weird to surf the forums not by app.

No one really uses the App Store that much. Some applications are on there sure but make sure to check the dev’s website for maybe a cheaper or newer version.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Biggest difference might be terminology. “Programs” are now applications or apps. Motherboard is logic board. Taskbar is now Dock. Etc...

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Edit: I think I found the problem.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 8, 2017

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Biggest difference might be terminology. “Programs” are now applications or apps. Motherboard is logic board. Taskbar is now Dock. Etc...

I haven't heard someone call an app a "program" in at least a decade

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Systray is now Menu Bar.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Pivo posted:

Just wanted to give an additional tip, if you would like to manage photos for yourself, you can also use image capture (this should come with your computer) to download any iPhone/Camera/Scan to a folder you prefer.

Another +1 to iina, you'll probably want iina or vlc if you download/make a lot of different video formats as QuickTime (apples default player) doesn't support some common ones. IINA isn't available on the App Store, and I'm not sure if vlc is. But here are the links if you want either: IINA and VLC.

Also Ublock Origin is a great add block. There are two Ublock's I prefer origin myself.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Data Graham posted:

Closing the last open window of an application no longer automatically quits the application. That took the most adjustment for me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

carry on then posted:

Closing the last open window of an application no longer automatically quits the application. That took the most adjustment for me.

The perennial Mac gotcha; has been that way since the beginning of time. And probably will be for generations of monkeys-on-ladders after the last successful readthrough of a John Siracusa article.

I've never really been able to articulate why the Mac's modal metaphor is better than Windows' idea of every application is a window, but that's the mindset one has to be in: it's an OS that wants you to think of the frontmost application being the one that matters, so it takes over the whole screen context and menu bar, and whether there are any application windows open for that app is not indicative of whether it's running or not.

This made more sense workflow-wise back before multitasking was a fully embraced thing; and just to make things fun, certain classes of apps would auto-quit when their only window was closed, mostly small Utilities type apps. But then major apps like iTunes started doing it too, and who knows anymore. I've long since stopped trying to rationalize there being some grand unifying design about it.

E: it also made sense on a 9-inch Mac screen, but it's downright comical on my ultrawidescreen LCD where I have to reach out to like fully arm's length to get to the menus

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…on the other hand, the infinite-height menu is one of the cleverererest ideas ever and I really hate it when I go over to Windows and have to hunt the menu of whatever window I'm in.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Finally clean installed 10.13 not-beta onto my old rear end MBP4.1

Everything seems to be working fine APFS and all. Posting from same MBP.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I went into system log to see if I could find any evidence of my root account being activated and used and that’s how I learned about the month 13 thing :dogbutton:

What the gently caress is going on in Cupertino?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

iOS 11 was supposed to have a whole bunch of better and more contextually aware Siri stuff, wasn't it? The kind of stuff that might make it actually useful to me?

Let's try it out...

"Hey Siri, wake me up when we get to Suffern"
"OK, what time would you like me to set the alarm for?"

Ugh..

Hey Siri play no more i love use
Let's see...

Just ... hey siri never fuckin mind

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Siri is still useless after like 5 years of existence. I used to make alarms and reminders but eventually stopped. For me it was extremely annoying when she got stuck in “Let’s see...” and it makes you feel extra dumb for talking to a phone robot that doesn’t even work.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Data Graham posted:

The perennial Mac gotcha; has been that way since the beginning of time. And probably will be for generations of monkeys-on-ladders after the last successful readthrough of a John Siracusa article.

I've never really been able to articulate why the Mac's modal metaphor is better than Windows' idea of every application is a window, but that's the mindset one has to be in: it's an OS that wants you to think of the frontmost application being the one that matters, so it takes over the whole screen context and menu bar, and whether there are any application windows open for that app is not indicative of whether it's running or not.

This made more sense workflow-wise back before multitasking was a fully embraced thing; and just to make things fun, certain classes of apps would auto-quit when their only window was closed, mostly small Utilities type apps. But then major apps like iTunes started doing it too, and who knows anymore. I've long since stopped trying to rationalize there being some grand unifying design about it.

E: it also made sense on a 9-inch Mac screen, but it's downright comical on my ultrawidescreen LCD where I have to reach out to like fully arm's length to get to the menus

nah it's actually cool and good op. having the menus always be in the same place is great. it does take a bit of getting used to from windows since their content depends on which window has focus, but as someone who didn't use a mac daily until a few months ago you get used to it real quickly

Data Graham posted:

iOS 11 was supposed to have a whole bunch of better and more contextually aware Siri stuff, wasn't it? The kind of stuff that might make it actually useful to me?

Let's try it out...

"Hey Siri, wake me up when we get to Suffern"
"OK, what time would you like me to set the alarm for?"

Ugh..

Hey Siri play no more i love use
Let's see...

Just ... hey siri never fuckin mind

it actually works pretty well for reminding you of something when you reach a given location and for playing itunes music. you can't set an alarm for when you reach a location though. the fact that you have to specifically phrase the semantics of your request in a kind of stilted way is pretty much proof that siri still hasn't fulfilled its promise tho.

i use it a fair bit while i'm walking around if i need to call or text someone, or set a reminder maybe. still feel like a complete oval office talking to my phone regardless

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 9, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yes, I usually look over my calendar for the day while I'm having breakfast. If I'm going in to the office that day, I use "Siri, remind me I have an early meeting when I get to work". And sure as poo poo, when I pull into the parking lot I get an alert. It's pretty nice.

Siri is nice when you work within its limitations, the problem is sometimes the walls of iOS and/or of Siri's language parser are in strange places and you slam into them face first.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Generic Monk posted:

nah it's actually cool and good op. having the menus always be in the same place is great. it does take a bit of getting used to from windows since their content depends on which window has focus, but as someone who didn't use a mac daily until a few months ago you get used to it real quickly

As a matter of fact it was a much mooter point a few years ago than it is now; but now Google has muddied the waters with its HEY GUESS WHAT THE MENUS ARE IN THE SIDEWAYS DOT DOT DOT THING LOL metaphor, and Windows apps have all but replaced their traditional menus with little hidden treasure boxes too. Oh you have to right-click that thing in the title bar? Who in the gently caress

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I never really use Siri unless I’m driving. But it’s pretty nice to have when driving, as I can request music, ask Siri to read texts, etc.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Siri is still useless after like 5 years of existence. I used to make alarms and reminders but eventually stopped. For me it was extremely annoying when she got stuck in “Let’s see...” and it makes you feel extra dumb for talking to a phone robot that doesn’t even work.

It’s kind of funny Douglas Adams got the annoyance of voice activation spot on.

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0
So long as we are bitching about Siri, I can’t stand how inconsistent it is between platforms.

Today I’m at my Mac and I ask Siri to “Remind me to call Grandma in two hours.”

Siri then brings up a menu asking me to choose from three possible phone numbers. That would be fine except...

None of the phone numbers are my grandma’s
And
There’s no way to not select an option.

I cancelled and then tried the same thing on my phone which just immediately set the reminder and even linked it to the correct phone number without asking me any questions.

Why is phone Siri so much smarter than Mac Siri?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Data Graham posted:

As a matter of fact it was a much mooter point a few years ago than it is now; but now Google has muddied the waters with its HEY GUESS WHAT THE MENUS ARE IN THE SIDEWAYS DOT DOT DOT THING LOL metaphor, and Windows apps have all but replaced their traditional menus with little hidden treasure boxes too. Oh you have to right-click that thing in the title bar? Who in the gently caress

hamburger menu is to ux design as burning poo poo in the garden is to tidying your house