Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Cicero posted:

Ahahahahahahaha, oh my God

https://www.extremetech.com/electronics/254979-pour-one-juicero-now-defunct-bagjuice-squeezing-company

$120 million in VC funding, to build a product that nobody asked for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Butcher posted:

I'm just logging this one for posterity.

I hope you get rich, good luck!

Leaving Bitcoin out of it, are you suggesting that the only time to invest is during a recession or something?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

Leaving Bitcoin out of it, are you suggesting that the only time to invest is during a recession or something?

It's not the only time, but it's a pretty good time to get underpriced assets if you can wait it out.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BigDave posted:

It's coming. Not as hard hitting as the 2000's, but VC funding is starting to dry up.

What market/stage/sector do you have in mind here? Generally VC activity in the US is up in both round count and deal size quarter over quarter since Q4 2016 (I haven’t seen a good report on Q3 yet, probably this month). That certainly matches my firm’s anecdotal experience and what I hear from other VCs and LPs. Angel and seed rounds are growing in amount quickly, too.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Subjunctive posted:

What market/stage/sector do you have in mind here? Generally VC activity in the US is up in both round count and deal size quarter over quarter since Q4 2016 (I haven’t seen a good report on Q3 yet, probably this month). That certainly matches my firm’s anecdotal experience and what I hear from other VCs and LPs. Angel and seed rounds are growing in amount quickly, too.

Uh... :stare: Yes?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BigDave posted:

Uh... :stare: Yes?

I don’t follow. What did you mean by VC drying up?

E: it’s been pointed out that I may be overestimating how far this conversation can go!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Subjunctive posted:

E: it’s been pointed out that I may be overestimating how far this conversation can go!

I think you've encountered one of those opinions that is more of a "feeling" than any quantifiable trend borne out in actual, meaningful data.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I think you've encountered one of those opinions that is more of a "feeling" than any quantifiable trend borne out in actual, meaningful data.

Yeah, that’s possible. Usually feelings are based on something, though, and it’s so far from my own belief that I’m interested in the source.

My usual assumption when there’s a big gap is that both sides are missing some context the other has, so I figured I’d offer mine and try to learn BigDave’s!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, that’s possible. Usually feelings are based on something, though, and it’s so far from my own belief that I’m interested in the source.

My usual assumption when there’s a big gap is that both sides are missing some context the other has, so I figured I’d offer mine and try to learn BigDave’s!

My own friends who are in finance - which is obviously quite far from my home industry - have actually been saying something similar to BD for some time, but when I challenge them on it (I have a startup play I'm developing) they collapse against the same arguments you make. The line of reasoning is just "SURELY this must slow down/stop at some point" while my own experience has been VC and seed investing seeking much more organized, mature startups in areas that have shown demonstrated returns - blockchain, weed, healthcare, tech.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Subjunctive posted:

What I meant was that VCs are more selective then they were even two years ago, so we're gonna see fewer magical flying unicorn startups and stupidity high amounts of R1 funding

Less "We want $500 million for a new Reddit, but on Instagram!" and more of "We want $750k to make a new kind of wireless router."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

evobatman posted:

It's not the only time, but it's a pretty good time to get underpriced assets if you can wait it out.

Oh absolutely, but if you're just sitting in cash waiting for a huge drop for 8 years then you missed the boat on all the growth you could have had in the meantime. Trying to time the market can bite you in the rear end both ways.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

My own friends who are in finance - which is obviously quite far from my home industry - have actually been saying something similar to BD for some time, but when I challenge them on it (I have a startup play I'm developing) they collapse against the same arguments you make. The line of reasoning is just "SURELY this must slow down/stop at some point" while my own experience has been VC and seed investing seeking much more organized, mature startups in areas that have shown demonstrated returns - blockchain, weed, healthcare, tech.

Seed now is what A was 3-5 years ago: 1.5M rounds on 4-6M pre, into companies with demonstrated progress. You can raise $500K out of angels if you’re connected at all, and if you need that much to fund progress (most get by with $250K or less in pre-seed capital). You’re seeing the accelerator scene (500 Startups, TechStars, regional ones) get more effective too as they expand their networks. Companies coming out of those are safer bets than they were a while back.

I think we’ll see a macro shift in the next 3-5 years, but that may increase VC activity at first. We have to invest the funds already raised — and people are raising big funds now; we just closed one more than 2x our previous 3 years ago — and companies may be cheaper. It’ll hurt exits a ton, though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Wait who's demonstrated returns on a block chain tech?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Wait who's demonstrated returns on a block chain tech?

Hitmen, drug dealers, organized crime.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BigDave posted:

What I meant was that VCs are more selective then they were even two years ago, so we're gonna see fewer magical flying unicorn startups and stupidity high amounts of R1 funding

Less "We want $500 million for a new Reddit, but on Instagram!" and more of "We want $750k to make a new kind of wireless router."

VC is a big industry. There were like 5000 VC rounds in 2016, and we’re tracking higher this year. Those news-worthy deals were always anomalous, and few in number. If you see 5 fewer of them in 2018 it’ll be a 30% drop or whatever. I don’t know what the trends have been in A valuation, though. I’d be super interested if you do, but it’s very hard information to get.

But again, firms have to deploy their capital according to their strategy, and initial investments typically have to come in the first 3 years of the fund’s lifetime. (The initial-investment period ends when the next fund goes online.)

VCs also, pretty much necessarily, analyze upside more than downside. It’s the nature of the asset class: you need some big wins to return the fund 2.5x and get to raise new funds. Hunter Walk recently wrote something good on this topic, but I’m on my phone and lazy.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

The Butcher posted:

I'm just logging this one for posterity.

I hope you get rich, good luck!

What the gently caress are you talking about?

What I said is just patently true. Did you say the same moronic thing in 2015? Because in the broad U.S. mid-large cap market, you would have lost roughly 50% appreciation. And I recall people giving alarmist "bear market's coming" statements back then, too.

Yes, a bear is coming. Some day. Could be tomorrow. Could be years from now. The point is, the people calling bears (like those in 2014-2015) never point out how much you would have lost listening to them when the market jumps another 50%.

Steady investing over time wins. Internet morons crying "bear" are just as destructive to people as those saying, "You can't lose." Because holding your money out of the market trying to time things is, statistically speaking, a losing proposition over the long haul.

Try to read what I wrote, rather than just blabbering a kneejerk response about "getting rich."

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 9, 2017

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Speaking of VC funding: heard on the news last night that a bunch of horses died in San Diego due to a wildfire at a thorough bred breeding/training/something center which is sad. There are also a bunch of horses in need of veterinary help. The local horse racing track started a gofundme which has raised $443k in 23 hours as of this post.

https://www.gofundme.com/thoroughbredcare

:stare:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Good. I hope those horses get all the help they need. I think they're hilarious and cost bundles of money, but I wouldn't want an animal to suffer just because I think people that can't afford them buy them.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Subjunctive posted:

VC is a big industry. There were like 5000 VC rounds in 2016, and we’re tracking higher this year. Those news-worthy deals were always anomalous, and few in number. If you see 5 fewer of them in 2018 it’ll be a 30% drop or whatever. I don’t know what the trends have been in A valuation, though. I’d be super interested if you do, but it’s very hard information to get.

But again, firms have to deploy their capital according to their strategy, and initial investments typically have to come in the first 3 years of the fund’s lifetime. (The initial-investment period ends when the next fund goes online.)

VCs also, pretty much necessarily, analyze upside more than downside. It’s the nature of the asset class: you need some big wins to return the fund 2.5x and get to raise new funds. Hunter Walk recently wrote something good on this topic, but I’m on my phone and lazy.

I'm assuming this is the kind of stuff you're talking about : https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/11/inside-the-q2-2017-global-venture-capital-ecosystem/

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

No, you should be investing in assets on a regular basis regardless of the business cycle (though there are times when you can pick up some deals if you have cash and others don't). As in things that have value by virtue of generating income.

Even being generous and calling Bitcoin a commodity, it doesn't have any place in an investment portfolio outside of hedging against particular risks that are hard to even identify in the case of Bitcoin. It's a speculative holding and not much more.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Good. I hope those horses get all the help they need. I think they're hilarious and cost bundles of money, but I wouldn't want an animal to suffer just because I think people that can't afford them buy them.

I agree. I think they should be insured for their care however and half a million in 3000ish donations is... Insane.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

SlyFrog posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about?

What I said is just patently true. Did you say the same moronic thing in 2015? Because in the broad U.S. mid-large cap market, you would have lost roughly 50% appreciation. And I recall people giving alarmist "bear market's coming" statements back then, too.

Yes, a bear is coming. Some day. Could be tomorrow. Could be years from now. The point is, the people calling bears (like those in 2014-2015) never point out how much you would have lost listening to them when the market jumps another 50%.

The point is, steady investing over time wins. Internet morons crying "bear" are just as destructive to people as those saying, "You can't lose." Because holding your money out of the market trying to time things is, statistically speaking, a losing proposition over the long haul.

Try to read what I wrote, rather than just blabbering a kneejerk response about "getting rich."

I predicted the Bear market in 2007 and was absolutely certain we were looking at another around 2014. Fortunately for me I did nothing to actually prepare for either market and came out ahead because of it. So trying to guess this stuff is pointless. You just make sure not to have all your money in individual stocks the year before you retire.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
pretty much. the only people dumber than people investing into a bubble are the ones trying to call the bubble. this includes bitcoin.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yet the last several pages is nothing but Expert Opinions. Shut up, y'all.

Here's a fun story to get things back to normal. My unemployed friend's fiance just got her first "solid" job as a video editor for, yep, a start up. This means she's making a dinky 30k for a skillset that should make her much more money (she's good at what she does, her portfolio is actually pretty strong). She has to stretch to cover her needs, as well as those of her manbaby husband and their overpriced 1br apt (my friends mental health demanded that they move out of their rent free arrangement or something who the hell knows)

Well they called me yesterday, sounding a bit bummed and all. We were all supposed to meet up for drinks as she gets paid on Friday but, yep. You guessed it.

No money yet! Her boss is "working to resolve this payroll issue."

Oh also it's a fully remote position so she has never seen her boss or teammates (probably two dudes working out of their apartments themselves, if my previous experience with startups is anything to go by).

So that's fun

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 9, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

Yet the last several pages is nothing but Expert Opinions. Shut up, y'all.

Here's a fun story to get things back to normal. My unemployed friend's fiance just got her first "solid" job as a video editor for, yep, a start up. This means she's making a dinky 30k for a skillset that should make her much more money (she's good at what she does, her portfolio is actually pretty strong). She has to stretch to cover her needs, as well as those of her manbaby husband and their overpriced 1br apt (my friends mental health demanded that they move out of their rent free arrangement or something who the hell knows)

Well they called me yesterday, sounding a bit bummed and all. We were all supposed to meet up for drinks as she gets paid on Friday but, yep. You guessed it.

No money yet! Her boss is "working to resolve this payroll issue."

Oh also it's a fully remote position so she has never seen her boss or teammates (probably two dudes working out of their apartments themselves, if my previous experience with startups is anything to go by).

So that's fun

In almost every case these 'payroll issues' are either resolved super quick because it really was a fluke or become a maze of deceit on a throne of lies that grow bolder and bolder. There was one where the boss managed to string everyone along for a whole extra week because of wire transfers that somehow didn't post. And I'm not talking about a wire transfer into the corporate accounts. He was literally claiming to wire transfer everyone their money rather than just, you know writing a check to the people who are all in the office with him.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Skimming, but yeah basically.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"startup" and vc-backed startup are not the same
if you go around w/ the "startups" your shitfuck people ratio is pretty bad
vc-backed startup, it's a lot better

an excellent exercise if you ever become friends with a vc is to ask to look at their slush pile. most vc's not that not awful have a slush pile that is only sifted through for comedy gold purposes, if ever. it's basically like publishing that way, where everyone will just admit they have a poo poo signal to noise ratio and do things by intros and human handshaking instead

intros and human handshaking 100% caught theranos from the biotech dudes. not one biotech vc fund invested in theranos. it completely failed for dfj, lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bob dobbs is dead posted:

an excellent exercise if you ever become friends with a vc is to ask to look at their slush pile. most vc's not that not awful have a slush pile that is only sifted through for comedy gold purposes, if ever

I have a large set of declined pitches and post-pitch nos, but I try to get back to even the autonomous cooking sorts of people.

A friend of a friend keeps the TAM slides from pitch decks, and has a big collection of them now.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

I have a large set of declined pitches and post-pitch nos, but I try to get back to even the autonomous cooking sorts of people.

A friend of a friend keeps the TAM slides from pitch decks, and has a big collection of them now.

i know of multiple VC perpetuum mobile pitch collections

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

i know of multiple VC perpetuum mobile pitch collections

I mostly get software, so they tend toward the stupid instead of the impossible.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Desperate for help. I racked up $3,000 in loans at Advance Financial and I don't know if I can pay it off with such a high interest rate (like 250%).
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7ipjrb/desperate_for_help_i_racked_up_3000_in_loans_at/

quote:

My monthly payments are $244, but evidently that only goes towards fees so I would have to pay much more money to pay off the full loan. I don't know exactly how much per month I would have to pay. I can only really afford to pay $500 or possibly $600 a month, but don't know if that is enough money because interest is like 250%. Can someone please help me figure out if that's enough to eventually pay off the full amount?

Surely 250% APR can't be correct? Yep, it's not:

This is the loan: https://www.af247.com/services/flex-loans

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

H110Hawk posted:

I agree. I think they should be insured for their care however and half a million in 3000ish donations is... Insane.

Most of the horses are, yes. That money is primarily going to the dozens of grooms and assistants who have lost their homes (racehorse grooms live at the tracks/stables they work at), their livelihoods and everything they own in the fast-moving blaze. Grooms are paid low wages, and many of them are undocumented immigrants without resources to rebuid on their own. Most of the item donations requested by Del Mar are for clothing and bedding for humans. In addition two local trainers with small stables (ie not millionaires) who saved horses during the fire were hospitalized with third-degree burns, one of them (Martine Bellocq) is in a medically-induced coma, hence the mention of "medical bills" in the GoFundMe. The other trainer Joe Herrick lost all but one of his horses to the fire, with the remaining filly suffering severe burns herself.

A lot of wealthy people within the Thoroughbred industry are helping of course, for example top racehorse owner Kaleem Shah is writing a personal check of $400 to each groom. But racing fans donating to help the victims of a wildfire is not a case where "lol horses are bad with money" applies.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 10, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Motronic posted:

Desperate for help. I racked up $3,000 in loans at Advance Financial and I don't know if I can pay it off with such a high interest rate (like 250%).
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7ipjrb/desperate_for_help_i_racked_up_3000_in_loans_at/

Nothing wrong with this. I mean it says right there on their site:

totally not a predatory lending practice posted:

This is an expensive form of credit. Only borrow what you can afford to pay back.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nothing wrong with this. I mean it says right there on their site:

Nobody was stating that the company was BWM for offering the loans (morality notwithstanding) but the edit: junkie who accepted a loan of ~$3,000 at 279.50% APR.

Sic Semper Goon fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 10, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

intros and human handshaking 100% caught theranos from the biotech dudes. not one biotech vc fund invested in theranos. it completely failed for dfj, lol

My old employer invested 100 million into Theranos as their big diversity push into biotech. They were not a biotech company.

Apparently neither was Theranos.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Youth Decay posted:

Most of the horses are, yes. That money is primarily going to the dozens of grooms and assistants who have lost their homes (racehorse grooms live at the tracks/stables they work at), their livelihoods and everything they own in the fast-moving blaze. Grooms are paid low wages, and many of them are undocumented immigrants without resources to rebuid on their own. Most of the item donations requested by Del Mar are for clothing and bedding for humans. In addition two local trainers with small stables (ie not millionaires) who saved horses during the fire were hospitalized with third-degree burns, one of them (Martine Bellocq) is in a medically-induced coma, hence the mention of "medical bills" in the GoFundMe. The other trainer Joe Herrick lost all but one of his horses to the fire, with the remaining filly suffering severe burns herself.

A lot of wealthy people within the Thoroughbred industry are helping of course, for example top racehorse owner Kaleem Shah is writing a personal check of $400 to each groom. But racing fans donating to help the victims of a wildfire is not a case where "lol horses are bad with money" applies.

Fine. Be a charitable use of money to prevent people from having even more severe hardship from the fires. Harumph.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Youth Decay posted:

I am glad that this money is being raised to take care of people instead of horses owned by the rich.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Motronic posted:

Honestly having worked with short term lending on rough credit profiles that program is not too bad. No late fees, ability to re-borrow up to your limit, low minimum payments. The APR is high but the people borrowing that money have really bad credit and are a high risk of default. It is something that the traditional lending industry is wrestling with trying to figure out how little you can charge to give these people a loan and cover the defaults. The CFPB has come out and said that banks need to have lending products for these borrowers, but they are a mess because they are poor and have chaotic lives. 120% APR would be a lot closer to striking that balance than 270% IMO.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Sic Semper Goon posted:

the edit: junkie who accepted a loan of ~$3,000 at 279.50% APR.

Sorry, did that come out in the reddit thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

therobit posted:

I am glad that this money is being raised to take care of people instead of horses owned by the rich.

The owners are really the only rich ones in horse racing. Trainers and jockeys typically each get 10% of a horse's winnings, plus a nominal day rate/ride fee. Jockey valets (the guys who wash the silks, clean the locker rooms, etc) get 10% of the jockeys' 10%. Exercise riders* just get the ride fee. Grooms, barn managers, assistant trainers get paid $8-12/hr with few or no benefits. Then there are the farriers, track tellers, maintenance workers, stewards/clerks... racing employs an awful lot of "normal" people just trying to make a living. They are completely separate from the BWM show horse crazies we laugh at in this thread.

Make fun of the rich racehorse owners, or bankrupt racehorse owners, all you want though. They deserve it.

Wikipedia article on Ahmed Zayat, American Pharoah's owner posted:

In December 2009, Zayat was sued by Fifth Third Bank for an alleged $34 million in unpaid loans. He had taken out multiple loans from the bank totaling over $38 million between 2007 and 2009. Fifth Third alleged that Zayat was in default because he failed to make two payments in 2009. As part of the loan package, the bank had a security interest in Zayat Stables' horses, prize money, stallion shares and stallion income. Further, the bank added an amended provision to its later loans stating, "if Zayat Stables defaulted on any of the Notes, such default would be considered a default under all of the notes thereby entitling Fifth Third to accelerate the principal balance and all accrued interest due and owing under all of the Notes." While Zayat paid off some of the money owed, the bank contended that he remained in default on one loan.[33] The bank alleged that Zayat had lost $52 million between 2006 and 2008, that he had not reported a previous Chapter 7 personal bankruptcy he had filed under the name Ephraim David Zayat,[3] and the bank attempted to foreclose on his horses.[9]

Zayat filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection in February 2010.[34] He stated that the problem was that the Lexington branch of the bank worked with the Thoroughbred industry and was willing to restructure his loans, while the bank's corporate headquarters in Cincinnati wanted to get out of the equine lending business altogether. Stating that Fifth Third was "reneging on its promises,"[35] Zayat filed a countersuit in April 2010, alleging the bank engaged in deceptive and predatory lending practices.[34] When he thought the bank was willing to restructure its loans, Zayat withdrew 67 horses he intended to sell at Keeneland's 2009 September and November sales and instead purchased 24 more yearlings.[35] He had also paid Fifth Third $4.3 million from the proceeds of the sale of breeding rights to Zensational, all of which left him low on cash when the bank called in its loans. Zayat said the bank was using "scorched earth" tactics and accused it of trying to put him out of business,[36] explaining that had he known the bank would not extend his loans, he would have sold enough horses to make his payments.[37]

All cases were resolved with a settlement agreement in July 2010, seven months after the initial suit was filed. Zayat agreed to pay off his unsecured creditors over two years, without interest, and pay off Fifth Third by 2014. Zayat Stables' creditors unanimously approved the repayment plan.[4] Zayat owed about $2.4 million to the Keeneland Association, and $1.2 million to other creditors[38] including clinics, horse transport companies, boarding farms, and trainers—among them Bob Baffert.[35][36][c] He also owed several horse breeders for stud fees.[36] To settle his debts with Fifth Third, he agreed to annual payments based on a percentage of horse sales and proceeds from claiming races.[37] As part of his reorganization plan, he was to sell a number of horses, including 100% of his Grade I-winning horse Eskendereya.[40] Ultimately, consistent with Zayat's tendency to retain a financial interest in his stallions, he sold an undisclosed share in the stallion to Jess Jackson and retained some breeding rights. While the selling percentage and price were confidential, Zayat Stables' reported income to the bankruptcy court for the month the deal closed was $7.5 million.[41][d] Zayat stated, "While Chapter 11 was a necessary step to take ... I look forward to carrying out our reorganization plan, and continuing to develop some of the best horses in the country."[38] Zayat Stables successfully completed the bankruptcy reorganization plan,[32][43] in the process his stable went from a high of 285 horses to a census of 118 in 2012.[4]

quote:

Zayat's bankruptcy revealed other problems. His bankruptcy documents listed four loans he had made to members of the Jelinsky family.[39] Two members of that family, Michael and Jeffrey Jelinsky, had pleaded guilty in 2009 to illegal bookmaking. As a result, the racing commissions in California and Kentucky opened investigations on Zayat;[44] racing licensees are not to associate with bookmakers or convicted felons.[45] Zayat claimed that he had no knowledge of the Jelinskys' illegal acts. He stated that he thought the brothers were professional gamblers and that they had financial need.[44] Further, he said he loaned them money because he knew their father and that the money they owed him was unrelated to gambling; he stated that some of the money he loaned was to assist one of the brothers with a divorce.[45] He was cleared in both states. Although New York also stated that they were investigating,[46] there were no news reports of any adverse action.[e] Zayat stated that he had been visited by federal agents who played tapes where the Jelinsky brothers discussed how they had cheated Zayat out of money by giving him bad betting advice.[32]

In an unrelated case, Zayat was mentioned in a 2013 lawsuit between Freehold Raceway and the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority.[32] The plaintiffs alleged that Zayat was allowed to bet on credit, which was a violation of state law.[47] Zayat had been betting $200,000 a week through New Jersey's online betting system, and the agency allowed him to "float" $286,000 in credit, "as a courtesy."[32] Zayat was not a party to the lawsuit and he paid off all debts owed to the Sports Authority. The records containing Zayat's name were later redacted, but an internal email indicated that Zayat had wagered a total of at least $8.3 million.[48]

On March 10, 2014, a lawsuit against Zayat was filed in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey.[49] The plaintiff, Howard Rubinsky, was an associate of the Jelinskys who had also pleaded guilty in the illegal betting operation. His suit alleged breach of contract, claiming that Zayat failed to pay off a $1.65 million line of credit in 2004. Rubinsky said he extended credit to Zayat with Tradewinds Sportsbook so Zayat could bet on horse races via a gambling website set up in Costa Rica. Zayat's lawyer described the suit as "a meritless claim",[32] filed a motion to dismiss in 2015 alleging lack of evidence,[43] and argued that the statute of limitations of six years had run.[50] Zayat stated in court documents that he had met and loaned money to Rubinsky, but said, "I can say unequivocally that I did not give Mr. Rubinsky any money as payment on any debt ... I agreed to give him money because he told me he was ill and broke."[43] On June 4, 2015, a federal judge in Newark, New Jersey, dismissed Rubinsky's lawsuit, citing both Rubinsky's difficulty in proving his case and the expired statute of limitations.[51][52] In a related matter, June 1, 2015, days before American Pharoah was to run in the 2015 Belmont Stakes, the New York Times reported that Rubinsky's lawyer, Joseph Bainton, filed a $10-million libel suit against Zayat for comments to the press, including the characterization of Rubinsky's other lawsuit as "extortion, a fraud and blackmail."[53] That suit was dismissed on August 5, 2015.[54]

In a post-race press conference after winning the 2015 Belmont Stakes, Zayat stated that he was so anxious about American Pharoah's upcoming race that he neglected to bet on anything.[55]
Or maybe he "forgot" to bet because he was flat broke?