Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Awesome. Is that supposed to be Doug in the back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's Dani Moonstar, Cannonball, Wolfsbane, Magik and Sunspot.

Cypher isn't in it, but Warlock will be.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maisie Williams is going to be a dire Wolfsbane.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lobok posted:

Maisie Williams is going to be a dire Wolfsbane.

:golfclap:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Aphrodite posted:

The team is also just incredibly lame.

I couldn't get over how absolutely unbalanced the Apocalypse team was. Quicksilver is fast but he hits just like a normal person, Mystique can get a surprise attack but that's just about it, Beast can jump really high, Moira is a normal human, Xavier is the worst psychic in the world, Nightcrawler could theoretically get creative with his powers but this is a PG-13 movie, all against a supercharged Magneto, a Goddess of Weather and the Ur-Mutant. In the end, it's up to the only two who could ever actually do anything, Cyclops blasting really hard and Jean Grey phoenixing Apocalypse away.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Channing Tatum will surely get his gambit movie off the ground now!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Wait, what "promise" and "characters" from First Class were there to exploit in DOFP? Because I watched - more accurately, tried to watch - First Class recently, and literally everything beyond Cyclops, Professor X, Mystique sometimes (she was clearly the weakest of the three main characters and the most poorly written), Sebastian Shaw, and Moira McTaggert when she was onscreen was trash.

All the new mutants were trash. They took Nicholas Hoult, a good actor, and stuck him behind terrible loving makeup and a badly written boring as gently caress Beast so he sucked almost every moment he was onscreen. January Jones sucked. The movie is sort of an interesting examination of the dichotomy between Charles and Erik, with a badly-written Action Girl Who Constantly Crushes On Someone Mystique wedged in there, and then a bunch of boring idiots who die. And a fun villain.

Like hoo boy basically nothing outside of the Holocaust/Erik/Charles trying to get the Academy going stuff holds up under any loving scrutiny whatsoever.

So uh are you supposed to be badmouthing the film because you just named like five or more things you liked in it. I meant that's at least worth a "it's okay".

e:

TFRazorsaw posted:

And again, you can have Wolverine in this thing and use Kitty. They made a very deliberate choice here.

The ideal would have been Ellen Page going back in time, and meeting a then Wolverine who she has to convince to leave his hitmanning or whatever shady poo poo he was up to, to help her. It would have made the movie a lot more interesting.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 8, 2017

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Ahh it's driving me crazy who's the handsome guy on the right? He looks so familiar,is it the posh douchebag agent from the kingsman movie who gets left on the tracks?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Ahh it's driving me crazy who's the handsome guy on the right? He looks so familiar,is it the posh douchebag agent from the kingsman movie who gets left on the tracks?

quote:

Fox’s upcoming New Mutants has found its Roberto Da Costa (Sunspot) in 23-year-old actor Henry Zaga of Teen Wolf and 13 Reasons Why fame.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Ahh he's absoloutely not the one i was thinking of lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ahh he's absoloutely not the one i was thinking of lol

the kid from Stranger Things?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Shageletic posted:

So uh are you supposed to be badmouthing the film because you just named like five or more things you liked in it. I meant that's at least worth a "it's okay".

if you consider half a film, generously speaking, being competent and half being unwatchably bad then yeah sure it's "okay"

Like I mentioned 5 things I liked but in most of FC they don't act alone.Shaw is a great villain but in most of his scenes Kevin Bacon is forced to act against January Jones, who should've been able to turn herself into wood over crystal considering her performer's quality. Most scenes with Charles or Erik has to accommodate J-Law being in them, and she's written both terribly and pretty sexist while being acted competently but not some sort of radiant performance that cancels out how poorly she's written or the fact that she has exactly one character motivation.

I could go on. A film isn't some pros and cons list you can just total up and go "there you objectively thought it was good because you liked these five characters and thought virtually everything else was dreck". Movies are more than the sum of their parts, and everything about the film's structure, central premise, main conflict, and progression is really bad. The experience of watching FC, especially now, is loving painful. The movie is just not good.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Shageletic posted:

the kid from Stranger Things?

No no i mean the guy on the right looked really familiar then i looked him on Imdb and he's not who i was thinking of, i recognised the kid from stranger things though he's good.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I just recently watched First Class for the first time, I gotta say I was a little disappointed. It had all these cool things, but as a whole it never felt quite right. And wouldn't the US and the Soviet Union fleets teaming up and nearly getting destroyed radically change history? I can't imagine the aftermath of the Cuban Missile Crisis playing out as it did historically with the events of First Class.

I had a thought about Disney buying Fox stuff: Aliens and Predators. Would Disney yank them from Dark Horse like they did with Star Wars? Honestly that'd make me real sad, I wouldn't be into comics if it weren't for Dark Horse and Batman vs. Predator 2.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Shageletic posted:

The ideal would have been Ellen Page going back in time, and meeting a then Wolverine who she has to convince to leave his hitmanning or whatever shady poo poo he was up to, to help her. It would have made the movie a lot more interesting.

You're all looking at this as 'they shouldn't have replaced Kitty Pryde with Wolverine;when really you should be asking 'why the gently caress would they replace Hugh Jackman with Ellen Page?'. He was more marketable, and more watchable.

Not sure what her being Jewish has to do with anything. It's not like anyone who goes to the cinema actually knows or cares that she's Jewish in the comics. Her only characteristic in the film series up to that point was 'have a crush on iceman'.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

That's me.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

BiggerBoat posted:

That's me.

Ah yes now i remember...

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Her only characteristic in the film series up to that point was 'have a crush on iceman'.

Man that reminds me that I'm really looking forward to seeing how the MCU would depict Iceman. :allears:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Man that reminds me that I'm really looking forward to seeing how the MCU would depict Iceman. :allears:

i'd like to see actually-gay iceman rather than metaphorically-gay iceman on screen

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
And holy poo poo, Storm. Look, I liked what Alexandra Shipp managed to do with Storm during X-Men Apocalypse, but I've been ready for a full-out regal Kenyan Goddess Storm for thirty friggin' years now. I'd actually rather see her join the Avengers, just like in the Marvel Adventures comics, more than I would Wolverine (though he was in those too).

...gently caress, they could actually do the Black Panther/Storm romance now. I mean yeah it was pretty cringeworthy in the comics, but can you imagine having that in the MCU?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They had drat well better sell those Lockheed hand puppets.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

No no i mean the guy on the right looked really familiar then i looked him on Imdb and he's not who i was thinking of, i recognised the kid from stranger things though he's good.

Honestly the first few times I looked at that poster I thought the guy on the right was James Franco.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

You're all looking at this as 'they shouldn't have replaced Kitty Pryde with Wolverine;when really you should be asking 'why the gently caress would they replace Hugh Jackman with Ellen Page?'. He was more marketable, and more watchable.

Not sure what her being Jewish has to do with anything. It's not like anyone who goes to the cinema actually knows or cares that she's Jewish in the comics. Her only characteristic in the film series up to that point was 'have a crush on iceman'.

This is what I’ve been trying to say. Thank you.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's good then that we presented a scenario where both characters get to play a role, then.

EDIT - I decided not to engage with the second part. I'm not confident I can give a coherent response to that at the moment.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
That's a pretty spot on Bobby DaCosta, but I'm not sure about Illyana's snear, maybe she's doing Billy Idol in the Asylum talent show?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're doing this:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Aphrodite posted:

They're doing this:

Wow I should have recognized that from the start

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

So can anyone give me the lowdown on those mutants,i've only heard of sunspot before (he was in Dofp right?) what are their gimmicks?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Someone will effort post, but I'm just going to say to look into Chris Claremont's New Mutants. They're a mostly forgotten team after being rebranded as X-Force, but they were quite popular in the 80's. They were the actual students at the Xavier school because the X-Men, besides Kitty, were all adults. Supposedly, they were the inspiration for the Teenage Mutant, like Daredevil inspired the Ninja, in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

So can anyone give me the lowdown on those mutants,i've only heard of sunspot before (he was in Dofp right?) what are their gimmicks?

Cannonball is nigh invulnerable when he's blastin'!

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

TFRazorsaw posted:

It's good then that we presented a scenario where both characters get to play a role, then.

EDIT - I decided not to engage with the second part. I'm not confident I can give a coherent response to that at the moment.

I'll be waiting eagerly for your response.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Spelling errors ahoy

Cannonball (dude in baseball cap and sling) - One of the Guthrie children, at least three of which are also mutant or mutant adjacent characters. As stated above can basically make a jet engine out of his legs and is drat near invulnerable while doing so.

Magik - Illayana Rasputin, Colossus' sister - Originally died from the Legacy virus aka Mutant AIDS. Apparently went to Hell, got better, and now has magical mutant powers and a sword.

Lockheed - Pictured as a puppet, pet dragon, mostly of Kitty Pride and Excalibur team. Comic relief for the most part

Sunspot - Robert DaCosta - Basically the human torch from south of the border if you want the Q&D version. Got a power boost in the 90's along with a split personality as a foe of X-Factor. More recently became head of AIM(?)

Wolfsbane - Scooby Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf. Only part accurate as I think there were a few Werewolf Women mutants from around this time

Dani Moonstar - No actual idea. I keep getting her confused with Moon Dragon, who is a bald cosmic marvel chick.

EDIT: If they are doing Warlock as indicated - Shapeshifting Parasitic Space robot. A little less Vision/Data "What is it to be human" and more "Why are humans so neat"?

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 9, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Magik's actual power is teleportation. She just learned magic.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

Spelling errors ahoy

Cannonball (dude in baseball cap and sling) - One of the Guthrie children, at least three of which are also mutant or mutant adjacent characters. As stated above can basically make a jet engine out of his legs and is drat near invulnerable while doing so.

Magik - Illayana Rasputin, Colossus' sister - Originally died from the Legacy virus aka Mutant AIDS. Apparently went to Hell, got better, and now has magical mutant powers and a sword.

Lockheed - Pictured as a puppet, pet dragon, mostly of Kitty Pride and Excalibur team. Comic relief for the most part

Sunspot - Robert DaCosta - Basically the human torch from south of the border if you want the Q&D version. Got a power boost in the 90's along with a split personality as a foe of X-Factor. More recently became head of AIM(?)

Wolfsbane - Scooby Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf. Only part accurate as I think there were a few Werewolf Women mutants from around this time

Dani Moonstar - No actual idea. I keep getting her confused with Moon Dragon, who is a bald cosmic marvel chick.

EDIT: If they are doing Warlock as indicated - Shapeshifting Parasitic Space robot. A little less Vision/Data "What is it to be human" and more "Why are humans so neat"?

I thought Sunspot's power set was absorbing solar energy to become physically stronger (while turning black, literally, it always looked like the inker was having a bad day. Someone probably called him a tracer.). Dani is a mutant illusionist (and ends up an honorary Valkyrie at some point) and Lockheed followed Kitty home from some Brood adventure in the 80's. He remains the best X-man.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
This looks awesome, Lord/Millers(they wrote it) animated Spiderman movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii3n7hYQOl4

lomzus fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 9, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Magik’s magic is tied to Limbo (a hellish dimension) also she’s somewhat crazy.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Nipponophile posted:

Cannonball is nigh invulnerable when he's blastin'!

Don't forget he was an Immortal for like a year during the Liefeld years!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

lomzus posted:

Holy CRAP that looks beautiful.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

lomzus posted:

That looks so good,i've not read much of the miles morales stuff but i'll deffo be watching that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

lomzus posted:

I have zero faith in Sony animation studios, but this looks incredible.

• Locked thread