Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

muscles like this! posted:

FX has announced they're developing a Welcome to Night Vale TV series.

I'm intrigued, I'm guess they are going to do it the same way as they do the books where it's a side story?

This could be a complete clusterfuck or the weirdest thing on TV.

I'm still waiting for a drat "Beyond Belief" TV show though starring Paget Brewster and Paul F. Tompkins.

I wouldn't kick a "Sparks Nevada" show out of bed either Syfy. Just as long as you cast Marc Evan Jackson and Mark Gagliardi.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

tony shalhoub is also astoundingly good in Mrs. Maisel

He really is. I’ve never seen Monk or anything but I caught him on that space bug politics show BrainDead last year and fell in love with the dude

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

muscles like this! posted:

FX has announced they're developing a Welcome to Night Vale TV series.

I kind of feel like to be true to the conceit of the podcast they'd have to stage it as something like The Office for the joke to carry over, unless it's just going to be an anthology show that just uses the title or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

He really is. I’ve never seen Monk or anything but I caught him on that space bug politics show BrainDead last year and fell in love with the dude

Tony Shaloub has been incredible since Wings.

Yeah I loving watched Wings.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

let's be fair, ERW has probably been on speed a lot :j:

No doubt about it!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

Hey there was nothing wrong with Wings. :(. Lowell ruled!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Wings was HUGE in its time and then it just faded out of the culture after it ended, it's so weird. Like it was the product of a genie wish.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Guy Mann posted:

I kind of feel like to be true to the conceit of the podcast they'd have to stage it as something like The Office for the joke to carry over, unless it's just going to be an anthology show that just uses the title or something.

The books are essentially an anthology in the same universe, so it could work that way.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally watched the latest This Is Us and it’s trying to compare race issues and veteran’s issues for some reason

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

McSpanky posted:

Wings was HUGE in its time and then it just faded out of the culture after it ended, it's so weird. Like it was the product of a genie wish.

Yeah I mean it was a solid Taxi-like ensemble sitcom that just disappeared, it's weird. And Tony Shalhoub was def. one of the best parts.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

McSpanky posted:

Murphy Brown had a feud with the Vice-President of the United States once and who remembers anything about Murphy Brown now other than how it had a feud with the Vice-President of the United States once?

I wonder what big shows on right now will leave a memorable legacy once they're gone and which ones will be forgotten? Which ones will be like LOST where they're fairly well-remembered but only as a relic of their time which had a bad impact on other shows?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The only other thing I remember was Jay Thomas was on it (I can’t remember who he played).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh wow, yeah i'd entirely forgotten about Murphy Brown and that show was massive too

maybe later i'll make a "forgotten TV shows" thread. i could have sworn i already did that a few years ago.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

precision posted:

oh wow, yeah i'd entirely forgotten about Murphy Brown and that show was massive too

maybe later i'll make a "forgotten TV shows" thread. i could have sworn i already did that a few years ago.

You did, but we all forgot about it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

There's loads of TV shows that are forgotten but the thing that's notable about something like Murphy Brown or even L.A. Law being forgotten is that those shows were huge in their time. Those were the shows that monopolised the Emmys for about a decade but just aren't talked about at all any more. I'm pretty sure that both of them (and NYPD Blue) got their complete series on DVD in Europe long before they did in America too.

I think one thing a lot of those shows - and they were mostly Steven R. Bochco and David E. Kelley cop and lawyer shows - have in common is that they were in the weird position of being "prestige TV" in the era when even serial dramas were still 22 episode seasons and split between episodic with overarching plots and completely serialised.

The West Wing was the last one of that type which I think was really big, and it was on at the same time as The Sopranos, which introduced the modern concept of prestige TV in my opinion.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Wings was one of the very few NBC Thursday slot-filler shows that managed to survive, much less thrive. It was Cheers' lead-out, then its lead-in, spent a while between Mad About You and Seinfeld and was then strong enough to bounce around the schedule for its final 2 years, to wherever the network was trying to establish a new weeknight comedy block.

These days, you say "Wings" and my mind immediately goes to Seinfeld's first post-show SNL monologue.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

People who have xfinity and the iPhone app: has the recording functions completely disappeared? I can see what’s scheduled, but not delete, and any show page only lets me look up info now, but not record. Insanely annoying!

(Also the bug that shows a difference %age free to the box will forever annoy me).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wings is still in heavy rerun rotation around the country. So it definitely lives on.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Murphy Brown had a feud with the Vice-President of the United States once and who remembers anything about Murphy Brown now other than how it had a feud with the Vice-President of the United States once?

I wonder what big shows on right now will leave a memorable legacy once they're gone and which ones will be forgotten? Which ones will be like LOST where they're fairly well-remembered but only as a relic of their time which had a bad impact on other shows?

Murphy Brown on the other hand is probably one of the more high profile comedies of its era and it seems to have completely disappeared into thin air.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Dammit I didn't know about (Psych movie spoiler) I didn't know about Timothy Omundson's stroke till this thread and I'm not going to lie I literally broke out during his scene. Feel so bad for him, Psych and Galavant are two of my favorite things on TV in the last 10 years.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

X-O posted:

Murphy Brown on the other hand is probably one of the more high profile comedies of its era and it seems to have completely disappeared into thin air.

It baffles me that reruns of Moonlighting don't happen more often. That show still holds up very well imo

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

People who have xfinity and the iPhone app: has the recording functions completely disappeared? I can see what’s scheduled, but not delete, and any show page only lets me look up info now, but not record. Insanely annoying!

(Also the bug that shows a difference %age free to the box will forever annoy me).

I ran into this issue yesterday while trying to schedule a recording from my laptop. Didn't have a chance to check the phone app but that'd be a really weird step backwards.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Wings is still in heavy rerun rotation around the country. So it definitely lives on.

Weren't a lot of the plots based on then-current politics? Maybe that's why it got dumped out of rotation. I mean poo poo, Designing Women is still in reruns but no Murphy Brown.

Designing Women RULED

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Here's the Real Actual Schur Arc:

1. Show launches, reviews well after initial bumpiness, usually about some group of sufficiently multicultural misfits learning how to bond
2. Show hits groove, all pieces are firing - it's a traditional sitcom, but a good one, and show is able to balance its archetypes without exaggeration for at least a little while
3. Show suddenly decides to become focused on some Stakes Changing Plot Development even though Schur can't plot a show to save his loving life
4. Stakes Changing Plot Development occurs. It might, or might not, be conceived and executed well.
5. Show becomes focused on New Stakes.
5a. As soon as New Stakes become focused on Schur realizes that he, again, can't plot a show to save his loving life, usually within a couple of episodes.
5b. Schur immediately attempts to reset show's stakes Back to Normal.
6. Show is reset back to New New Stakes, which is the old standby, prompting the audience to wonder why he wasted all of their loving time on a dumb bullshit Stakes Changing Plot Development if he was gonna put everything back to normal within (pick one) a season/4 episodes/ literally one loving episode.

Oooh ok I get it
1. Leslie is a weird Michael Scott type who is in love with the unlikeable man with the big face and her staff are weird in unlikeable ways
2. The man leaves, Leslie becomes a hypercompetent weirdo with unending enthusiasm, the characters all fit a better archetype
3. Leslie runs for congress or the senate or whatever, Ben and the fit hypochondriac guy become crowd favorites
4. Leslie wins
5. Leslie is a senator or whatever
5a. Leslie loses a recall election
5b. Leslie goes back to parks department but becomes head or something
6. Leslie is back in parks but there’s some added characters

And April and Andy are super annoying despite Audrey Plaza being a hilarious angel and Chris Pratt being super charismatic. It’s too much when they’re together

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lmao these posts are sad

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He's just trying to complain about The Good Place in that post, disregard it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

And April and Andy are super annoying despite Audrey Plaza being a hilarious angel and Chris Pratt being super charismatic. It’s too much when they’re together

I'm sorry you hate fun and cool things

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

J33uk posted:

I ran into this issue yesterday while trying to schedule a recording from my laptop. Didn't have a chance to check the phone app but that'd be a really weird step backwards.

Ugh, yeah it’s really annoying not to manage it while in work or something. I’ll check their forums and see what’s up.

E:

quote:

Due to a legal ruling, for the foreseeable future we are removing the remote scheduling of DVR recording features. We apologize for the inconvenience, we are actively pursuing an appeal of the ruling.

If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it's available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize again for the inconvenience

This screams of patent troll nonsense. You already can’t record the buffer due to that poo poo, once again it’s the consumer that gets screwed over.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 10, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Escobarbarian posted:

You’re probably right. You’re such a good person that I love

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

Have you seen the card trick Chris Pratt does that makes Jenifer Lawrence's panties disappear? Thats peak Chris Pratt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy3Mi8rOB3U

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

Have you seen the card trick Chris Pratt does that makes Jenifer Lawrence's panties disappear? Thats peak Chris Pratt.

holy poo poo

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like real Chris Pratt more than any of his movie roles. Somehow they make him more boring in movies.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I like Chris Pratt a lot, but I think I had Pratt Fatigue or something for a while, typecasting is fine but he was in a lot of big stuff playing more or less the same dude every time. Too much too fast.

I would like for him to be Nathan Drake.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

:vince:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

How about him smashing a Rubik's Cube while talking about GotG2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9RdCwptv-8

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
New trailer for Altered Carbon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrbxOAkQbpQ

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This is now the Chris Pratt love thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAVxvOtIEJw

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 10, 2017

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We don't deserve Chris Pratt in this world :allears:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's also one where he braids a girl's hair while doing an interview

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

There's also one where he braids a girl's hair while doing an interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tHrUr_ozZs&t=66s

Running in high heels?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tHrUr_ozZs&t=66s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

That's really similar to the one good card trick I know, but I'm still waiting for a reaction like that.

• Locked thread