Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
When me and my friend play red alert 2 my friend tunnels into the wall and by the time I find him he shoots me. It's unfair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i think Quest for Glory is the best point and click adventure series, its better than Monkey Island and its better than Sam and Max and its better than Indiana Jones, Quest for Glory is possibly the best computer game series of the 90s and very underrated

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

hamtaro posted:

Civilization is way worse than other 4x games

civ peaked with civ2

hamtaro
Oct 7, 2008

Das Butterbrot posted:

civ peaked with civ2

it peaked with SMAC

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

poverty goat posted:

shut the gently caress up you retard

80% of why a PC is better is that you can install whatever software you want, including third party software that enables you to use your gamepad of choice

I straight up said in my post that I installed 3rd party software to get my dual shock to work on my PC dude. Just saying its annoying because if I want the prompts to change to DS4 buttons I gotta fiddle with every game.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

In fact I made that exact point earlier in the thread about PC being better because it is more flexible when I made my post about it allowing for modding, but also allowing for hacking.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Mods are a joke, i don't need to put titties on the rear end of my main character or give them fox ears or whatever, I don't need a bunch of unbalanced extra weapons and i definitely don't want poorly voiced fan fiction quests

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Sorry you failed the platform purity mines. You’re sentenced to Mac gaming now

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Caesar Saladin posted:

Mods are a joke

Reported.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Caesar Saladin posted:

Mods are a joke, i don't need to put titties on the rear end of my main character or give them fox ears or whatever, I don't need a bunch of unbalanced extra weapons and i definitely don't want poorly voiced fan fiction quests

"some of the most popular FPS of all time are a joke"

- a very smart person

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

fruit on the bottom posted:

Sorry you failed the platform purity mines. You’re sentenced to Mac gaming now

I really like the look of old mac games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y01lZbrxxb0

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Caesar Saladin posted:

I was nodding in agreement with you until i realized you werent talking about Something Awful Moderators

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Das Butterbrot posted:

- a very smart person

they were relevant at some point but not anymore, all the games that they spawn are competitive pc trash like mobas and pubgs and cs anyway. I stand by it, all of those games are joke games.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Das Butterbrot posted:

- a very smart person

Just because it's popular doesn't mean its good

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Caesar Saladin posted:

they were relevant at some point but not anymore, all the games that they spawn are competitive pc trash like mobas and pubgs and cs anyway. I stand by it, all of those games are joke games.

Mods are cool on a lot of games. XCom 2 and Total War: Warhammer both have kickass mods available for them. The best way to play any Civ game ever is the modded Fall from Heaven 2 conversion for Civ 4. You're right that a lot of the more cringe poo poo is sucky, but there are still some pretty cool mods out there.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Blazing Ownager posted:

Nothing and I mean NOTHING compares to the current state of Grand Theft Auto: Online. The cheating is more rampant and frequent there than it was in Diablo 1 when they started selling cheats in the loving Wal-Mart. On PC it's a sometimes unplayable experience where every single server has at minimum a single cheater.

Worst part is they are boring cheats and everyone does the same 5 things rather than having any creativity like they did when the game came out. No more raining dogs or ferris wheel rides of doom, now it's all "Teleport everyone to one point, blow them. Put them in a cage. Drop money on them. Maybe make them drop their ammo, crash their game or gently caress their displayed level if they're feeling mean." I'm not kidding you can't go a single server without this poo poo happening. It makes me sometimes consider paying to transfer my character to PS4 just to get away from this poo poo, since modders exist but are WAYYYYYYY less common there.

The problem of course is peer to peer servers. Aim bots and wallhacks are all we had to deal with in games before companies decided to cheap out and go P2P with no oversight. That's how you get situations where "Whatever I type into my console is law, even if I'm loving with the stats of other characters" is true.

Yeah I read the GTA Online thread in games sometimes and a lot of PC players complain about cheaters all the time, I've been playing for years on ps4 though and have never seen a hacker.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

poverty goat posted:

shut the gently caress up you retard

80% of why a PC is better is that you can install whatever software you want, including third party software that enables you to use your gamepad of choice

Come on man, be honest. Gamepads that are identical to console controllers were around for decades without people using them. It was only when Microsoft made one that was plug n play convienent that people started using them in any real number and games started getting designed to support them.

Saying you can hack together a third party solution is ignoring that 99% of the user base is too lazy for that.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Caesar Saladin posted:

Usually true[edit and probably a popular opinion], but the exposure mod for skyrim that decreased health if you didn't eat and stay warm and dry really changed the game for me in a big way. Survival immersion and exploring with a broadsword is up my alley. Mods can make a boring game next level awesome

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Das Butterbrot posted:

civ peaked with civ2

Wrong

It peaked with Beyond the Sword. Best Civ game now and apparently forever.

a bone to pick posted:

Yeah I read the GTA Online thread in games sometimes and a lot of PC players complain about cheaters all the time, I've been playing for years on ps4 though and have never seen a hacker.

Whatever you are picturing, it's worse. I know it sounds like a joke when I say "you can't go a server without a hacker" but I mean this in a completely literal sense. All it takes is one rear end in a top hat in 24 to ruin the whole party for everyone and screw everyone over, so the more people that login.. you're gonna get a hacker. Virtually guaranteed.

Have fun having your 12 hours worth of gun supplies blown up by the same old boring hack you've seen for 5 straight years.. the best you can hope for is a white hat hacker that will either crash and lock up the bad hacker (this literally happens, since bad hackers can crash you too) or just does funny stuff for laughs. They're the minority though. Most are assholes most often from China running the exact same mod menu.

ED: If it wasn't for my friends list I'd cashed out and transferred my character to PS4 just to get away from it.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 8, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Caesar Saladin posted:

Join me, everyone, in mourning Doom 2016's multiplayer mode for not living up to the original, or the game it was bundled with for that matter.

Why has noone just made a mod for it to turn it into straight up 1997 Doom with better graphics?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Beyond the Sword is so dang good

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
Soul caliber and to the same extent street fighter both suck as fighting games, both of them are entirely determined by first who has the longer reach and then secondly by who can land the first punch and stunlock the opponent.

once you're hit the game is practically over, there's no blocking or combo breaking so you're just hosed

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I don't think breast physics are a bad thing

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Magius1337est posted:

im more of an rear end physics guy myself

edit: i was just kidding but I guess that is actually a thing

https://i.imgur.com/9WFkxNl.mp4

edit edit

https://i.imgur.com/MoNDmJG.mp4

:eyepop:

DrPossum fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 9, 2017

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
dead or alive beach volley ball is just trashy fun and I don't think really contributes to a climate of sexism in games

I don't think videogames are inherently trying to be sexist either

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Magius1337est posted:

I agreed with this until I remembered the physics in Dead or Alive: Beach Volleyball. There such a thing as too much jiggle physics.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
This game needs a steam release:

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/12/05/senran-kagura-peach-beach-splash-basically-splatoon-bikini-girls-water-guns/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC5yr5WYfTE

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

:shepface:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Im suprised it didnt get one, theres other Senny Ran games on steam

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

FoolyCharged posted:

Come on man, be honest. Gamepads that are identical to console controllers were around for decades without people using them. It was only when Microsoft made one that was plug n play convienent that people started using them in any real number and games started getting designed to support them.

Saying you can hack together a third party solution is ignoring that 99% of the user base is too lazy for that.

if you're too lazy to install a piece of software how did you even get the game onto your pc :confused:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DrPossum posted:

im more of an rear end physics guy myself

edit: i was just kidding but I guess that is actually a thing

https://i.imgur.com/9WFkxNl.mp4

edit edit

https://i.imgur.com/MoNDmJG.mp4

:eyepop:

If your butt does that, you need to get checked.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

poverty goat posted:

if you're too lazy to install a piece of software how did you even get the game onto your pc :confused:

Because it wasn't "just installing some software" and you know it. Most games didn't support a controller so I had to map half the buttons to keyboard presses and then manually rebind the controls for each game to the controllers assigned keys. It was a pain in the butt and there was a reason it went from me being the only guy with a controller to everyone having one when the 360 came with plug n play support and a bunch of games that utilized it automarically

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
what game doesn't support third party controllers?

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Caesar Saladin posted:

i think Quest for Glory is the best point and click adventure series, its better than Monkey Island and its better than Sam and Max and its better than Indiana Jones, Quest for Glory is possibly the best computer game series of the 90s and very underrated

QFG1 Was ok, QFG2 &3 sucked, and QFG4 was one of the best games I have played.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
Quake 3 Arena's guns sucked compared to quake 2

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

dont even fink about it posted:

If your butt does that, you need to get checked.

Agreed. incidentally i am a Butt Inspector

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I miss old school deathmatch maps where you had to track down and find your opponent while laying various traps and poo poo, everything now is just killbox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP6lSjRA4hA

everything now is just spawn and die/kill someone in 30 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4NnAM4Rpos

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
its like, what's the point of team deathmatch when the level are so small it doesn't matter if you work as a team or not and its not like other players are offering any advantage/disadvantage anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Magius1337est posted:

I miss old school deathmatch maps where you had to track down and find your opponent while laying various traps and poo poo, everything now is just killbox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP6lSjRA4hA

everything now is just spawn and die/kill someone in 30 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4NnAM4Rpos

At one time I was good enough with the underslung grenade launcher in HL1 that I could bullseye a coin out of the claws of a passing bird. Kinda miss those days.