Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Had a pretty nice sit down with the bosses, looks like I'm off the hook for the BS and I got a "you're an essential part of the team, we don't think we can ever replace you." from them so that was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Had a pretty nice sit down with the bosses, looks like I'm off the hook for the BS and I got a "you're an essential part of the team, we don't think we can ever replace you." from them so that was cool.

Spoiler that poo poo. I was only halfway through your arc.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jesus christ, selling something locally on craigs/kijiji is an exercise in frustration. Thursday afternoon, listed my 980ti at $350 - $50 less than any other one for sale so I could just sell it.

Literally, within moments of posting the ad it began:

"is it still available?"
"card available?"
"will you take $220?"
"WHAT IS YOUR BOTTOM DOLLAR?"
"Trade for an aquarium?"
"I WILL TAKE IT" when I replied "I NEED YOU TO SHIP IT TO QUEBEC". When I say no "WHY NOT?? IT IS REASONABLE AND EASY. GO TO CANADAPOST.CA AND SEE!!" Because, if I wanted to ship the loving thing I'd sell it on ebay or any other number of forums, plus going to the loving post office at christmas would make me purposely forget to get forget to unload my P226 when I clean it.
"Hi - available?"
"260"
"HELLO ME AGAIN ARE YOU SURE YOU WON'T SHIP TO QUEBEC? I WILL PAY YOUR PRICE"
"CARD AVAILABLE?"
"I LIVE IN VAUGHN ONTARIO SHIP IT TO ME OKAY"
"Would you like a snake?"
"Hello I am interested in your video card. Is it still available?" (yes) "Will you take $220?"

End of the day, a guy that simply told me "Hey, I'll take it. I can meet pretty much anytime" so we met in the police station parking lot at 5PM yesterday. He game me $350 cash, no negotiating, no bullshit. I told him to keep a $20 for being my sole glimmer of hope for humanity.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Thanks for all the tripod advice. Spent this morning buying a 2004 Volvo S40, a repossession I bought from the finance company with HPI check so I know the titles clear. Needs tyres and fluids but stress over. Just need to strip bits from the fiat and get it dragged away.
Good you're mobile again. Is that an early or late one, they changed about then, didn't they?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I am going to drive my coworkers crazy.

clack clack clack clack CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACKLACKACLAKC

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

Good you're mobile again. Is that an early or late one, they changed about then, didn't they?

The update. I know it's a thirteen year old car but it didn't look or feel like it. Apart from PO was a vaper and there's a mysterious oily substance inside the centre console. Disgusting twat.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The update. I know it's a thirteen year old car but it didn't look or feel like it. Apart from PO was a vaper and there's a mysterious oily substance inside the centre console. Disgusting twat.
Better than a mysterious oily substance in the fuel tank, though - you got a petrol one, yeah?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah. I learnt my lesson, my wife doesn't do enough miles to warrant a diesel.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Yeah. I learnt my lesson, my wife doesn't do enough miles to warrant a diesel.

That's heresy

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
WEDDING RECEPTION PLAYLIST UPDATE

Four Andrew WK songs thus far. That poor woman has no idea what she's gotten into.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

That's heresy

I once donated an I5 TDI volvo to a tank driving experience fight me.

(2 miles a day some days, she choked the egr because it never actually got warm)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

That's heresy
The problem here is that they pushed diesels as being a better, more economical option, without people really being educated in the nature of the emissions gubbins they attached to them, or their unsuitability for short-journey urban use.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cage posted:

Mechanical keyboards are great, although I'm personally not sold on the LEDs. Cherry blues?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

(2 miles a day some days, she choked the egr because it never actually got warm)

I needed that motor you rear end in a top hat. I still want a I5 TDI for the 5000 Quattro Wagon.

InitialDave posted:

The problem here is that they pushed diesels as being a better, more economical option, without people really being educated in the nature of the emissions gubbins they attached to them, or their unsuitability for short-journey urban use.

NOx on one hand, CO2 on the other, they both suck. Electric is the only true solution (as long as your power provider is not coal/gas)

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cage posted:

I love the keypress feel but i dont love the keypress sound.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

I needed that motor you rear end in a top hat. I still want a I5 TDI for the 5000 Quattro Wagon.
Keep building i5 petrol turbos, like a respectable member of society.

CommieGIR posted:

NOx on one hand, CO2 on the other, they both suck. Electric is the only true solution (as long as your power provider is not coal/gas)
Even if they are, at least the pollution is in one specific place, and more importantly not in the urban areas where people live.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 9, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

:v:

Seriously though over here they are in Volvo's and VW's by the thousand.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Keep building i5 petrol turbos, like a respectable member of society.

TDIs are easier to tune and get power out of, require less electronics, and can make the 5000q into a decent towing vehicle.

Its easier to tune a vehicle when knocking is just what it does naturally.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 9, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

How badly did it damage the tank?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Raluek posted:

Mechanical keyboards are great, although I'm personally not sold on the LEDs. Cherry blues?
I wouldn't do the led thing on my home computer but for work where I really don't type all that much I thought it would be cool mostly for the decoration. I have a LOT of dumb non-work related crap on my desk.

They're blue switches. For $18 it was an easy buy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H6P8ASU/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

slidebite posted:

Jesus christ, selling something locally on craigs/kijiji is an exercise in frustration. Thursday afternoon, listed my 980ti at $350 - $50 less than any other one for sale so I could just sell it.

"is it still available?"
"card available?"
"will you take $220?"
"Trade for an aquarium?"
"I WILL TAKE IT" when I replied "I NEED YOU TO SHIP IT TO QUEBEC". When I say no "WHY NOT?? IT IS REASONABLE AND EASY. GO TO CANADAPOST.CA AND SEE!!" Because, if I wanted to ship the loving thing I'd sell it on ebay or any other number of forums, plus going to the loving post office at christmas would make me purposely forget to get forget to unload my P226 when I clean it.
"Hi - available?"
"260"
"CARD AVAILABLE?"
"Hello I am interested in your video card. Is it still available?" (yes) "Will you take $220?"

End of the day, a guy that simply told me "Hey, I'll take it. I can meet pretty much anytime" so we met in the police station parking lot at 5PM yesterday. He game me $350 cash, no negotiating, no bullshit. I told him to keep a $20 for being my sole glimmer of hope for humanity.

I've got a stack of hdd's here to get rid of after upgrading my NAS and lab boxes, but holy poo poo is it a crap show to try and sell them. I'm probably going to just list them as a lot on eBay and let someone else deal with the flakes/scammers.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I honestly can't wait for bitcoin to crash again so all the buttcoiners gently caress off and graphics cards don't cost $Texas anymore.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

the spyder posted:

I've got a stack of hdd's here to get rid of after upgrading my NAS and lab boxes, but holy poo poo is it a crap show to try and sell them. I'm probably going to just list them as a lot on eBay and let someone else deal with the flakes/scammers.

Be like everyone else and realize electronics are supposed to be disposable* so normal people don't buy them second hand. If you are selling them you will mainly get the crazies and time wasters. If you are fine with that then go ahead.
gumtree cl kjikjijkjik etc work fine when selling stuff normal people buy second hand. I have no hassles with tools, ladders, cars, vintage stuff.

*unservicable, too hard to visually check, no idea if an item being tested gets flakey after 1hr use etc)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

WEDDING RECEPTION PLAYLIST UPDATE

Four Andrew WK songs thus far. That poor woman has no idea what she's gotten into.

So.... "if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough" x 4?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

slidebite posted:

"is it still available?"
"card available?"
"will you take $220?"
"Trade for an aquarium?"
"Hi - available?"
"260"
"CARD AVAILABLE?"

Snake hater.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

redgubbinz posted:

I honestly can't wait for bitcoin to crash again so all the buttcoiners gently caress off and graphics cards don't cost $Texas anymore.

Bitcoin isn't the source of your pain, it hasn't been profitable/practical to mine with GPUs since 2013. Actually, if you can't afford to fill a datacenter with ASIC miners you can't really turn a profit - and those who can are only looking to use bitcoin as a vehicle to move their wealth out of repressive countries like China.

Its altcoins that are driving up the price of GPUs. And considering some of the more recent ones (like etherium) have limitations built in that prevent FPGAs and ASICs from having a substantial edge GPU prices aren't likely to go anywhere any time soon.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 10, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seminal Flu posted:

So.... "if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough" x 4?

don't hate

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Cage posted:

That looks like a quiet keyboard.

Repent to the church of the buckling spring.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Listen! Do you smell something?

what?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cage posted:

I wouldn't do the led thing on my home computer but for work where I really don't type all that much I thought it would be cool mostly for the decoration. I have a LOT of dumb non-work related crap on my desk.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H6P8ASU/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wh..where's the 10 key :ohdear:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Cage posted:

I get $26.99. Aww :(

I still haven't got around to finding a suitable mechanical switch to replace the broken one in my XT mechanical keyboard that I was using on the PC. I don't even know how many keyboards I've gotten through since that one. Some cheap ones, maybe 3 or 4 Logitechs and an IP rated one for medical and industrial use.

Just wish I could find my heavy-as-a-brick XT keyboard that beeps with every keypress. Great for infuriating people. It doesn't have an F11 or F12 though. I literally never use the Windows key so I couldn't care less about that.

Dieselchat: I'd love a diesel. It's not uncommon for me to drive 7-800km a day only stopping for the destination in the middle... and fuel. loving cars and their puny tanks. My old ZL fairlane had a long range tank. The NF Fairlane was dual fuel and I could get maybe 900km out of both.

The Niva has horrifying fuel efficiency, but it's what I use for hauling poo poo, running errands and going bush.

The Rav4 really wasn't very efficient. Came in at roughly 11-12L-100km.

The XJ with it's O2 sensor CEL, lots of Km and fairly knobbly A/T tyres still gets the best economy. Go figure.

Two things sell for a whole lot around here. Small, efficient cars regardless of age and diesels. Fuel is very expensive and drives are always long.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Geoj posted:

Bitcoin isn't the source of your pain, it hasn't been profitable/practical to mine with GPUs since 2013. Actually, if you can't afford to fill a datacenter with ASIC miners you can't really turn a profit - and those who can are only looking to use bitcoin as a vehicle to move their wealth out of repressive countries like China.

Its altcoins that are driving up the price of GPUs. And considering some of the more recent ones (like etherium) have limitations built in that prevent FPGAs and ASICs from having a substantial edge GPU prices aren't likely to go anywhere any time soon.

I also seem to recall a lot of online retailers are adding purchase caps where you can get up to 2 GPUs at normal price, but the 3rd one and up cost like $10k a piece when you add them to your cart. Could just be apocryphal though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

In case anyone thought I was exaggerating...

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
What the gently caress. I hate filthy cars and always cringed at the state of the exterior and interior of the exs car, (or my EL falcon when I let her have it before she bought her own commodore to trash)
If you think it's vaping related then it's just glycerin or propylene glycol

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Dec 10, 2017

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Cage posted:

Listen! Do you smell something?

what?

today a man complained to me he couldn't smell the cologne I was selling "because it's too dark in here"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just had a drive in my parents' new car, a brand new Peugeot 308, with the 120hp 1.6 diesel.

I came away thoroughly impressed. Quiet, comfortable, impressive handling and so many toys.

Sensors and cameras everywhere, it reads road signs and even shows a drat overhead view while you're backing up, however they hell the that works. It goes completely crazy with beeps and indicators when you back out of their tight driveway. And of course it nudges you back if you accidentally cross lines on the road. Modern cars, man.

The only thing I can't get used to is the rev counter, which goes counter-clockwise, for some odd reason.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

How did you find the infotainment in the 308? I’ve found PSA’s one to be quite dimwitted, skipping tracks with Bluetooth takes ages.

My wife has a 208 with the 90hp version of the 1.6 diesel, it moves it along quite nicely but feels very neutered if you try to push on.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

slothrop posted:

today a man complained to me he couldn't smell the cologne I was selling "because it's too dark in here"

:thunk:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

slothrop posted:

"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

I now know what half the people in Airplane! felt like. Shouldn't have had the fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

stump posted:

How did you find the infotainment in the 308? I’ve found PSA’s one to be quite dimwitted, skipping tracks with Bluetooth takes ages.

My wife has a 208 with the 90hp version of the 1.6 diesel, it moves it along quite nicely but feels very neutered if you try to push on.

It's not too bad, and Android Auto is pretty cool. But I honestly prefer an AUX cable and the phone in a holder.

• Locked thread