Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Someone explain to a dummy like me how diet coke is so bad for you? I thought it was basically caffeinated soda water with some nutrasweet or whatever is the rage these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Artificial sweeteners are bad because they taste horrible.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

not caring here posted:

Someone explain to a dummy like me how diet coke is so bad for you? I thought it was basically caffeinated soda water with some nutrasweet or whatever is the rage these days.

It's not, not really. There's not actually a whole lot of concrete scientific material saying so.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

not caring here posted:

Even diet soda can cause damage to dental enamel: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/diet-soda-erodes-teeth-as-much-as-meth-crack-case-study/

And there's strong evidence that artificial sweeteners can make you gain weight: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/artificial-sweeteners-weight-gain-time-review-studies/story?id=48676448

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
dont drink sodas unless its the only way you can choke down some lovely liquor at a wedding

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

not caring here posted:

Someone else may have a stronger background but my college cell bio and orgo classes told me that:
1: humans can't break down artificial sweeteners (we lack the enzymes) so we can't extract the nutritional/energy benefits, making it great for adding flavor without adding additional calories
2: artificial sweeteners are many times (as in thousand-fold) sweeter than sugar (sucrose) so you need a lot less of it for the same amount of sweet (you can go on about how people insist that mexican cola and US cola taste differently because HFCS vs. cane sugar but that's a bit beside the point)

Conventional wisdom tells us that foreign compounds (especially ones the body can't break down) in the body may lead to adverse effects (especially when the body tries to dispose of them), but in the case of artificial sweetners they're generally FDA-regarded as safe because only very small amounts are used. However, there are many animal studies showing that giving mice/rats large quantities of these fake sugars can cause cancer etc. (eg. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20886530). They're not outright toxic for you (these animals are often fed only artificial sugars, or amounts close to their body mass, and obviously the regular cane sugar you have is p bad too) so it's more a matter of weighing the risks/rewards

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

BigDave posted:

And there's strong evidence that artificial sweeteners can make you gain weight: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/artificial-sweeteners-weight-gain-time-review-studies/story?id=48676448

Correlation/causation

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

not caring here posted:

Short version is that there's a bunch of neurochemical stuff that happens when we eat that's more complex than calories in/out. In a laboratory setting it's probably more or less the same as water as far as impact on weight gain is concerned, but in the real world the effect on reward pathways, feelings of fullness, etc may result in different outcomes.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

not caring here posted:

There are also the old jokes about people ordering a supersize meal at McDonald's and having a diet coke with it. Which, I never understood the humor, because a large or extra large pop is going to add 800-1000 calories on top of the meal, with no nutritional value.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

SimonCat posted:

There are also the old jokes about people ordering a supersize meal at McDonald's and having a diet coke with it. Which, I never understood the humor, because a large or extra large pop is going to add 800-1000 calories on top of the meal, with no nutritional value.

lol more like 300 for a large. 1000 calories is like 2/5ths of your daily caloric requirement. Probably less than 300 because the ice takes up a lot of space.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

not caring here posted:

I *think* one of the problems is it normalizes you to sugary tastes if you're drinking it constantly. So while the diet soda itself doesn't make you fat, you end up eating stuff with added sugar.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

If my semesters of organic chemistry and biology have taught me anything, everything is probably bad for you in large quantities, so consume everything in moderation. Namaste.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 9, 2017

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

KildarX posted:

If my semesters of organic chemistry and biology have taught me anything, everything is probably bad for you in large quantities, so consume everything in moderation. Namaste.

I'm ODing on water and air right now. I keep trying to quit them, but I'm hooked. Time to chase the dragon.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Chichevache posted:

I'm ODing on water and air right now. I keep trying to quit them, but I'm hooked. Time to chase the dragon.

you can die from drinking too much water

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KildarX posted:

(H)arm Reduction.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

This was posted over in Airpower, and it's a really dumb article that is a case study in logical leaps, stupid citations, unsupported claims, non sequitur, irrelevant fluff, with a drunk uncle closing rant from a couple retired JAGs.

Their premise is that the reason our COIN fight isn't going well is we've a bunch of squeamish leaders afraid to kill enough people to win.

https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2017-12/cant-kill-enough-win-think-again

From a page or so back. But has there actually been any genuinely successful COIN operations that aren't Malay? Even Malay took 29 years all told, and the British still relinquished control of it in the end?

Bolow fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 9, 2017

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

you can die from drinking too much water

Duh, it's called drowning.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

You just just have weak genes. I metabolize and excrete water rapidly.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Bolow posted:

From a page or so back. But has there actually been any genuinely successful COIN operations that aren't Malay? Even Malay took 39 years all told, and the British still relinquished control of it in the end?
Oman I guess.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Chichevache posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYtpU5b2ALk

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Bolow posted:

From a page or so back. But has there actually been any genuinely successful COIN operations that aren't Malay? Even Malay took 29 years all told, and the British still relinquished control of it in the end?

Quebec?

Northern Ireland as well.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Bolow posted:

Arguably:

The American West (yeah... I know)
Philippines
ACW?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Arguably:

The American West (yeah... I know)

The american west is probably the best example because it does work, you just have to go all the way. It was hosed up and I'm not suggesting you should do that, I'm saying you're not gonna win wars through bodycounts unless you're prepared to destroy their civilization and population through whatever means necessary

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

KildarX posted:

I'm working on finding the ld50 for marijuana. While rolling 20 years over the odometer of nonfilter cigarettes.

How long until my lungs just jump out of my chest riddled with cancer and resin.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm working on finding the ld50 for marijuana.
How long until my lungs just jump out of my chest riddled with cancer and resin.

Everything I can find on that subject indicates pounds consumed in less than 30 minutes.

If I had to guess smoking wise you'd die of the smoke entering your lungs before the THC itself kills you.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 9, 2017

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I would argue that the American West was not an insurgency, because the American Indians had no neutral population to hide in.

Bloody sectarian conflict, yes.
Asymmetric warfare against the US Army? Certainly.

But I wouldn't draw any lessons from it unless I was a big fan of Hugo Boss and Skull pins.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

KildarX posted:

If I had to guess smoking wise you'd die of the smoke entering your lungs before the marijuana itself killing you.

COPD is expected. Probably full out emphysema eventually. I'm not even to the screaming/vomiting phase of heavy use, apparently.

And is that marijuana in raw form or thc concentrates like hash? Big difference if it's fresh cut raw or extracts.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

The american west is probably the best example because it does work, you just have to go all the way. It was hosed up and I'm not suggesting you should do that, I'm saying you're not gonna win wars through bodycounts unless you're prepared to destroy their civilization and population through whatever means necessary

And then rapidly colonize with your own people with robust (enough) lines of supplies and communication.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm working on finding the ld50 for marijuana. While rolling 20 years over the odometer of nonfilter cigarettes.

At my lab we're giving people 50mg of synthetic THC and they're still not feeling any effects. We're currently seeking approval to raise that limit too. I don't know about you or Shim but my colleagues have talked with some people who smoke more than 80 joints/day, so you might have a long way to go

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

BigDave posted:

Quebec?

Northern Ireland as well.

I don’t think anyone could claim Quebec ever went into a full on insurgency.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Even more than the american west, China itself is probably the best example.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Suicide Watch posted:

At my lab we're giving people 50mg of synthetic THC and they're still not feeling any effects. We're currently seeking approval to raise that limit too. I don't know about you or Shim but my colleagues have talked with some people who smoke more than 80 joints/day, so you might have a long way to go

How the hell do you smoke 80 joints a day and not just be in a mindless haze the entire time?

I mean, poo poo, I love the green, but I don't think I could smoke that much even if you paid me. Goddamn.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thalantos posted:

How the hell do you smoke 80 joints a day and not just be in a mindless haze the entire time?

I mean, poo poo, I love the green, but I don't think I could smoke that much even if you paid me. Goddamn.

That’s marijuana addiction. Just think of a “functional” alcoholic.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah those dudes don't even feel it anymore.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

And is that marijuana in raw form or thc concentrates like hash? Big difference if it's fresh cut raw or extracts.

Toxicology and Applied Pharamcology circa '73 posted:

For preclinical toxicologic evaluation, Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC), Δ8-THC, and Cannabis extract were administered po to rats, dogs and monkeys as solutions in either absolute ethanol, sesame oil, or sesame oil with 2.5–9.0% ethanol..[in Rats]dosage range of 225–3600 mg/kg, Δ9-THC and Δ8-THC produced the same lethality...In dogs and monkeys, single oral doses of Δ9-THC and Δ8-THC between 3000 and 9000/mg/kg were nonlethal

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0041008X73903104

So if my napkin math is right a dude could consume in a single sitting assuming a 150 pound man and 10% THC in Marijuana about 3 ounces of marijuana at one shot and not die.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Thalantos posted:

Mind you the 80 joints/day is self-reported, but if they're not reporting any high after 50mg of THC, either the pharmacy messed up, or they have a really high tolerance
I have no idea what these people do everyday aside from blazin it

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ed-allegations/

Goddamnit. I’ve been listening to On Point off and on for over 10 years.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Speaking as a former "functional" alcoholic there's no such thing, just a drunk with rationalization.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I know people who drink 70 units per diem and still fully get their 401k match

There is such a thing

Not forever, but there is such a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

I know people who drink 70 units per diem and still fully get their 401k match

There is such a thing

Not forever, but there is such a thing

You just described 80% of back office corporate in the Midwest.

• Locked thread