Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

1stGear posted:

Maybe the real dinosaur is...man.

I'm convinced that the original plan for the Indominus Rex "twist," back when it was called Diabolus Rex, was that it had human DNA because Wu decided humans were the biggest monsters of all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Detective No. 27 posted:

The entire movie is the internal company investigation. There are no dinosaurs in the entire run time.

I would watch this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

I'm convinced that the original plan for the Indominus Rex "twist," back when it was called Diabolus Rex, was that it had human DNA because Wu decided humans were the biggest monsters of all.

The drat movie should've focused on Wu.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Timby posted:

There's absolutely no way this wasn't in an earlier script. Hell, they should have left it in.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's a bunch of concept art floating around of half human/half dino hybrid creatures (some with cybernetically attached guns) that were allegedly created for an unmade JP4 film so they were apparently leaning heavily into that at one point. The human/raptor hybrid looked like the lovely CGI Lizard from the Amazing Spider-Man movie.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/41330/meet-raptorman-an-extinct-species-of-concept-art-from-jurassic-park-4
http://jurassicpark.wikia.com/wiki/Dinosaur-human_hybrid

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's a bunch of concept art floating around of half human/half dino hybrid creatures (some with cybernetically attached guns) that were allegedly created for an unmade JP4 film so they were apparently leaning heavily into that at one point.

Yeah, that's from when John Sayles and William Monahan were writing, ostensibly for Joe Johnston to direct.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

There's a bunch of concept art floating around of half human/half dino hybrid creatures (some with cybernetically attached guns) that were allegedly created for an unmade JP4 film so they were apparently leaning heavily into that at one point. The human/raptor hybrid looked like the lovely CGI Lizard from the Amazing Spider-Man movie.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/41330/meet-raptorman-an-extinct-species-of-concept-art-from-jurassic-park-4
http://jurassicpark.wikia.com/wiki/Dinosaur-human_hybrid

Holy poo poo why are we not getting The Island of Doctor Wu

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

God Created Dinosaurs. God Destroys Dinosaurs. God Creates Man. Man Destroys God. Man Creates Dinosaurs. Dinosaurs.... Become Man

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The drat movie should've focused on Wu.

McSpanky posted:

Wu will definitely be back in JW:FK and there's a bunch of chatter online speculating on how his research may have proceeded after JW based on certain bits of info that people have dug up ....

There's a supposed new type of hybrid dino called an Indoraptor that will be in JW:FK which sounds a lot like the smaller weaponised version of the Indominus Rex that Hoskins was talking about at the end of JW. One of the film's producers accidentally posted the word Indoraptor in a tweet instead of Indominus a few days ago and hastily changed it (someone still managed to screencap it before he changed it) and a fan noticed that Amblin has also taken out several merchandising trademarks on Indoraptor.

Edit: spoilered because I'm not sure if this info is official yet

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Everything outside of what we've seen in the teaser is a re-shoot of Theodore Rex.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
The dinosaurs of Jurassic Park are unnatural genetic-monstrosities, abominations against the gods. What I'm trying to say is that the logical thing for sequels to do is have them destroyed by a kaiju.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, the human-dino hybrid would have been stupid as gently caress and I would have absolutely loved it. If you're going go down the route of genetically inventing new dinosaurs, don't just give us a larger T-Rex. I want to see some weird rear end poo poo.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

McSpanky posted:

His knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by his zest for kung-fu treachery.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Yeah, the human-dino hybrid would have been stupid as gently caress and I would have absolutely loved it. If you're going go down the route of genetically inventing new dinosaurs, don't just give us a larger T-Rex. I want to see some weird rear end poo poo.

Yeah they're being suuuuuuper careful about slowly getting the audience used to the idea of crazy weird dinos. They spent a whole lot of time preparing the audience for it in JW by dropping in little bits and pieces about loving around with dino DNA throughout the first half of the film and then stopping the plot halfway through so two minor characters could sit and have a conversation about it and then at the very end of the film they showed some freaky combo lizards in the lab and some combo dinosaurs images on monitors:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Proposition Joe posted:

The dinosaurs of Jurassic Park are unnatural genetic-monstrosities, abominations against the gods. What I'm trying to say is that the logical thing for sequels to do is have them destroyed by a kaiju.
Cracked had a neat video about a fan theory that there are no dinosaurs in Jurassic Park -- and that this is an intentional deception by Hammond (and that he partly shows his hand when he tells his flea circus story).

https://youtu.be/ND7IYPM37fs

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Are you sure that wasn't an SMG post?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

Cracked had a neat video about a fan theory that there are no dinosaurs in Jurassic Park -- and that this is an intentional deception by Hammond (and that he partly shows his hand when he tells his flea circus story).

https://youtu.be/ND7IYPM37fs

This is dumb and terrible.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Naw, its basically the text of the series. The dinosaurs are more corporate designed mutant freaks than actual dinosaurs.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mantis42 posted:

Naw, its basically the text of the series. The dinosaurs are more corporate designed mutant freaks than actual dinosaurs.
Well yeah, but the fan theory is that this is an intentional con by John Hammond, career con-artist, who doesn't bring science experts there to test the safety of the park, but to test the believability of the park.

It's less about changing the text of the first movie and more about changing the motivations behind John Hammond's character. In the first movie, as far as science knew it, dinosaurs looked and acted (mostly) the way they did on-screen. Sure in retrospect we know this isn't the case, and that's why it becomes text in Jurassic World when Dr. Wu throws it in Masrani's face that the dinosaurs in the park are genetically engineered fakes that look the way they do because that's what the public expects.

And it's true in real life, too - the filmmakers said they went with "classic" dino designs for Jurassic World because that's what the audience expects to see in a Jurassic Park movie. poo poo, I'm an example of it - I think dinosaurs are cool as heck and have since I was a kid, and it's why Jurassic Park had a huge impact on my childhood. But I like my childhood's depiction of dinosaurs; I think feathered dinosaurs are loving retarded and will continue to do so until the day I die. I don't give a poo poo that the T-rex might not have been able to run fast enough to chase a jeep, or that raptors literally looked like giant turkeys and weren't dolphin-level geniuses, or that brachiosaurs can't lean on their hind legs, because all of that makes dinosaurs less cool than they were when I was a kid in the 90s. poo poo, it's right there in the name of the park - why is a park filled with dinosaurs from the Cretaceous period called Jurassic Park? Because Cretaceous Park sounds retarded.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That theory is one small take away from what was written in the original novel. Wu and Hammond talk towards the end about making changes to the next series of animals, with Wu pointing out that they're all just mutant frogs already so what's the harm in making them a bit slower and docile for safety? However, Hammond wants them to be as realistic as possible.

Anyway, JW was godawful and this movie looks even worse. I didn't even believe it was real at first and thought it could be some sort of elaborate, expensive joke.

If you guys haven't watched the new Westworld series yet you should check it out. I've always maintained that it's a very close Jurassic Park remake, only with more of the novel.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Well to be fair the original Westworld was basically a proto-JP.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Professor Shark posted:

That theory is one small take away from what was written in the original novel. Wu and Hammond talk towards the end about making changes to the next series of animals, with Wu pointing out that they're all just mutant frogs already so what's the harm in making them a bit slower and docile for safety? However, Hammond wants them to be as realistic as possible.

Anyway, JW was godawful and this movie looks even worse. I didn't even believe it was real at first and thought it could be some sort of elaborate, expensive joke.

If you guys haven't watched the new Westworld series yet you should check it out. I've always maintained that it's a very close Jurassic Park remake, only with more of the novel.

I thought Hammond wanted them to be scarier?

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Peanut President posted:

I thought Hammond wanted them to be scarier?

IIRC, he wants them to be "authentic," which from his mid-century upbringing and bias does mean fearsome predators and tranquil herbivores. He doesn't seem to understand that there is no way to tell what's an authentic look or behavior vs one that arises from the other bits of frog / bird / lizard /otherwise edited DNA, not to mention the completely different cllimate, plant and other animal life, atmospheric composition, etc. He's convinced that there is a platonic Real Dino that Wu simply isn't working hard enough to discover. Wu is exasperated that Hammond still doesn't understand that what he's doing is mostly guesswork, and that they'd never know an Authentic Dino even if they did recreate one by chance.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 11, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

You know how they've been scattering bits of the original Jurassic Park novel throughout the sequels as narrative opportunities present themselves? About all of them have been action scenes, but I always wanted some version the early sequence where InGen is communicating with Dr. Grant about the dietary requirements and rearing behavior of various dinosaur species. It was couched as research for education films or somesuch but it was clearly them desperately seeking professional help because they were hatching dinosaurs(ish) for the first time and had no idea what the hell they were doing with essentially alien lifeforms.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Turns out dinosaur acted exactly like chickens, just waddling around pecking randomly and making GBS threads on everything and god help any hen dinosaur who was around a rooster dinosaur

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

McSpanky posted:

You know how they've been scattering bits of the original Jurassic Park novel throughout the sequels as narrative opportunities present themselves? About all of them have been action scenes, but I always wanted some version the early sequence where InGen is communicating with Dr. Grant about the dietary requirements and rearing behavior of various dinosaur species. It was couched as research for education films or somesuch but it was clearly them desperately seeking professional help because they were hatching dinosaurs(ish) for the first time and had no idea what the hell they were doing with essentially alien lifeforms.

On the topic of using JP novel moments in the movies, since Blue is being portrayed as "the last velociraptor" then that means the odds of them using the bit where Grant nerve-gasses a Raptor nest or when Muldoon wastes one with a bazooka are probably not going to happen in the new movie. :v:

Having said that, if they use an oversized tranquilizer-bazooka to down big mama T-rex like Muldoon does in the book, I'll be pretty happy. That part in the book always cracked me up - Muldoon and Gennaro go out to try and tranquilize the T-rex, Muldoon hits it with the bazooka-tranquilizer and it doesn't go down and starts to charge them, he gets confused and hits it with a second dose and it still doesn't go down, so Muldoon and Gennaro figure it's prudent that they should flee as the pissed-off T-rex chases them, and Gennaro and Muldoon debate whether he hit the Rex or not. Cut ahead a little bit when the T-rex is trying to get at Grant and the kids as they hide behind the waterfall, and the T-rex just..... passes out, and Grant has no idea what just happened or why. The characters in the control center are able to track the dinosaurs' movements and locations, and Muldoon notices that the T-rex has stopped moving, and he says something to the effect of "I knew I hit that son of a bitch."

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Muldoon was the best. He kinda had to die, but it would have been cool if he didn't too. He would have been a good due to have around in all the sequels.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

On the topic of using JP novel moments in the movies, since Blue is being portrayed as "the last velociraptor" then that means the odds of them using the bit where Grant nerve-gasses a Raptor nest or when Muldoon wastes one with a bazooka are probably not going to happen in the new movie. :v:

One got blown up in Jurassic World via RPG so close enough.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chair In A Basket posted:

Muldoon was the best. He kinda had to die, but it would have been cool if he didn't too. He would have been a good due to have around in all the sequels.

He survived in the book, at least.

But then again the books are weird, in that Malcolm dies in the original and then in Lost World it's handwaved away that he was just delirious or something. But then again so much of Lost World is terrible.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I don't think an actual script was written but a treatment got leaked and it was literally Resident Evil 4 with a lone action hero kind of guy infiltrating/getting captured in a medieval castle that was cover for a dino/human hybrid lab some of which he befriends and helps escape.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
i just want a russian mob boss to reveal he has bought a t-rex and replaced it's arms with guns, okay is that too much to ask

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

I don't think an actual script was written but a treatment got leaked and it was literally Resident Evil 4 with a lone action hero kind of guy infiltrating/getting captured in a medieval castle that was cover for a dino/human hybrid lab some of which he befriends and helps escape.

drat that sounds cool.

With them saying the teaser trailer is all footage from the first 50 minutes I can't help but picture the rest of it is Owen, Claire, and all the dinosaurs taking a nap together in a boat.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Cnut the Great posted:

Which never made much sense because no animal is capable of synthesizing lysine on its own and the only possible way to get it is through diet.

No it’s correct. On Isla Nublar the animals were fed lysine in their diet. The idea being if InGen stopped giving them their prepared food they would die off because they wouldn’t be able to get lysine from any other source on the island. However what they found out on Isla Sorna was the herbivores were eating plants that were lysine rich.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Yeah they're being suuuuuuper careful about slowly getting the audience used to the idea of crazy weird dinos. They spent a whole lot of time preparing the audience for it in JW by dropping in little bits and pieces about loving around with dino DNA throughout the first half of the film and then stopping the plot halfway through so two minor characters could sit and have a conversation about it and then at the very end of the film they showed some freaky combo lizards in the lab and some combo dinosaurs images on monitors:

Can someone who is familiar with Biology and Genetics explain to me what the point of those spinal cords in the fluid are supposed to be for?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Because movie makers believe that in order to clone something you have to build it like you would a car first.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Timby posted:

He survived in the book, at least.

I think he also survived in the comicbook adaptation. They still had the "Clever girl ..." scene where the raptors blindside him but he somehow managed to survive (albeit badly injured) and comes back later.

Edit: yep

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 12, 2017

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

s.i.r.e. posted:

One got blown up in Jurassic World via RPG so close enough.

Oh poo poo, I totally forgot about that. The whole "the Indominus is part raptor and can therefore control them!!!" was some goofy poo poo, but we got to see a pack of raptors go totally apeshit on a bunch of redshirts so I'm pretty okay with it.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Top Gun posted:

Can someone who is familiar with Biology and Genetics explain to me what the point of those spinal cords in the fluid are supposed to be for?

It has nothing to do with actual biology and genetics and everything to do with being easily-digested visual shorthand. That stuff is on screen for maybe a few seconds, so put in everything you can think of to quickly and unambiguously denote "cloning and science" to a lay audience - beakers, flasks, microscopes, animal cages, a computer screen with a nonsensical mishmash of DNA barcodes and random hexagons. Spinal cords floating in big beakers aren't a thing in real labs (none of this is), but it's a visual that people understand immediately to mean "experimental creatures being created."

Body parts preserved in fluid evokes a Victorian, Frankenstein-like image of bringing creatures to life with science - studying and rebuilding gross anatomy. This clashes somewhat with the more modern understanding of clones and edited DNA, which happens at a microscopic scale and inside anonymous, computer controlled, appliance-like machines.

But the I-Rex is a Frankenstein dinosaur, at the genetic and visual level. So the mixed visual metaphor of the lab (generic modern science and Victorian pickled anatomy) is appropriate and effective. Not accurate or correct, but effective.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I know one thing Jurassic Park had was back when the book was published cloning was a very new science with a lot of unknowns. Crichton had a lot of wiggle room creatively as a result (his trademark, really) so I give a pass to some of the stuff that turned out to be goofy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Prolonged Priapism posted:

It has nothing to do with actual biology and genetics and everything to do with being easily-digested visual shorthand. That stuff is on screen for maybe a few seconds, so put in everything you can think of to quickly and unambiguously denote "cloning and science" to a lay audience - beakers, flasks, microscopes, animal cages, a computer screen with a nonsensical mishmash of DNA barcodes and random hexagons. Spinal cords floating in big beakers aren't a thing in real labs (none of this is), but it's a visual that people understand immediately to mean "experimental creatures being created."

Body parts preserved in fluid evokes a Victorian, Frankenstein-like image of bringing creatures to life with science - studying and rebuilding gross anatomy. This clashes somewhat with the more modern understanding of clones and edited DNA, which happens at a microscopic scale and inside anonymous, computer controlled, appliance-like machines.

But the I-Rex is a Frankenstein dinosaur, at the genetic and visual level. So the mixed visual metaphor of the lab (generic modern science and Victorian pickled anatomy) is appropriate and effective. Not accurate or correct, but effective.

That's stupid though because the original film tried to be science accurate when possible. The labs shown in that film didn't have loving spinal cords in jars and poo poo.

• Locked thread