Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
Are there any good guides or tips for new players? Like I get the beginning, and getting up to green science pots automated, but I'm not sure what where I should go next.

Trains?
Oil?
Sulfur?
Various hydrocarbon stuff?
Robots?

I'm enjoying the game a lot but I'm pretty overwhelmed as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Finagle posted:

Are there any good guides or tips for new players? Like I get the beginning, and getting up to green science pots automated, but I'm not sure what where I should go next.

Trains?
Oil?
Sulfur?
Robots?

Get some basic blue science going (<= 0.5/min) to start unlocking better tech like advanced oil, then focus on expanding your iron production. You'll run out at your first base far faster than you realize once you push past blue science. I like to decentralize my infrastructure ASAP, but it can be very tempting to keep trying to feed and constantly redesign your original base. Just abandon it once it can produce the things you need to build elsewhere and before you run out of your starting resources.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Snak posted:

Yeah, I struggled with trying to make that post sound as little like an attack as possible. I don't blame you, I was just trying to describe why your friend probably wasn't into it.

I hope your friend gives it another shot.

It's all good man. I hope he does as well, but he's notorious for ragequitting games. He'll put a mental barrier up and then every time he tries it, he'll just be miserable about it instead of giving it a shot.

I'm really excited for artillery trains. Will make clearing out areas surrounding distant outposts much less of a chore. I also turn off biter respawns, so biters never expand (since that's an absolute pain in the rear end). Based off of their reasoning for manual vs automatic range differences, I think the reason they're not going for artillery stations you can place on the ground is down to the fact they want a bit more player involvement. Having artillery in your base that can wipe out any and all biter nests way outside of your pollution cloud range would mean you'd never have to do anything. Whereas with the train, you need to lay down the track, build little bunkers, head out and actually be involved in the process.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I wonder if it'll use special shells or the standard ones. Here's hoping for the obvious, that you can load it with nukes.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Finagle posted:

Trains?
Oil?
Sulfur?
Robots?

Biggest tip I can give: Stop caring about doing perfectly, especially on the first time. Get something working together so you can see how the parts work then move on with your factory. You'll figure out better ways to do stuff later.

Chaos Mode: Inflict an AngelBob's game upon yourself, barely make it to level 2 (white) chips, come back to vanilla and wonder why you were ever afraid of vanilla oil.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Finagle posted:

Trains?
Oil?
Sulfur?
Robots?

I usually go for trains first. As well as future-proofing my base against my initial iron and copper resources running out, oil doesn't spawn in the starting area, so you may need to go a fair way out to get some. Trains help with that.
Oil is a prerequisite for everything else going forward, so you're going to want to focus on that next - and you are quickly going to feel the need for both fluid handling and advanced oil processing to deal with all the excess heavy/light fuel that you don't need much of yet.

After that, just go for what you think you need. Are you building a lot of new base all the time? Maybe focus on construction robots to make it easier. Power becoming unwieldy? Get solar panels and accumulators going. Biters causing you trouble? Beef up your military (and you are probably going to want tanks to bring the fight to them as you expand). If you don't feel like you actually need anything yet, just go for whatever gets you closer to the next research tier and the requirements will start to expose problems for you to solve.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Some actual advice on oil since many new players find it daunting:

There's three ways of making oil. Standard processing, advanced processing and coal liquefaction. The latter two are, technically, unnecessary but you're still going to want to get the tech for Advanced Oil Processing as soon as possible anyways because it makes life so much easier for two reasons.

-Reason one is better ratios. Processing crude gives you three resources: heavy oil, light oil and petroleum gas. The important one is Petroleum Gas since that makes your plastics (which you need a fuckton of) and sulfuric acid (which requires only a smaller rear end-load). Meanwhile Light is mainly used to make solid fuel (technically all three can be used to make solid fuel but Light's the most efficient and has no other real use) and Heavy is used to make lubricant (used in electrical engines and level three belts). Both of these you only need so much of whereas your factory will slow to a crawl making mid-to-high tier items if you only have a trickle of petrol.

-Reason two is fuel cracking. Chemical plants can use water to crack heavy to light oil, and light to petrol. This means the entire output can be reduced to delicious, delicious petroleum. This is extra juicy because Advanced Fuel Processing gives a lot more light oil which means you're only cracking once for the most part.

Until you get advanced refining you'll likely want to set up a fuel depot area with tanks for all three. If you start backing up on Light and Heavy while still needing petrol you can start barreling them, or converting them into solid fuel to feed to your boilers or trains. You'll need solid fuel eventually to make into rocket fuel.

Coal Liquefaction is mainly important if you're in a map with a fuckton of coal and a limited amount of oil since it turns coal/steam/heavy oil into more heavy oil and a dash of light.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Dec 9, 2017

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Coal Liquefaction is mainly important if you're in a map with a fuckton of coal and a limited amount of oil since it turns coal/steam/heavy oil into more heavy oil and a dash of light.

When/if you move off coal-powered boilers for power (to either solar or nuclear) you'll have more coal than you ever need (on any map).

Also, coal liquefaction produces (if you ignore the 25 heavy oil that the recipe requires) 10 heavy, 15 light and 20 petrol - which in terms of balance between the 3 outputs, is between basic and advanced oil processing. It's not just more heavy oil.

However in terms of refinery time effectiveness it's under half as useful as oil processing - CL gets you 45 products, OP gets you 100, AOP gets you 110 - all of them take 5 seconds.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Huh, I swore when I read the wiki earlier when making that post that the wiki said there was no petroleum produced. But yeah, CL is mainly for if you're short on oil and/or you're drowning in coal.

I'm curious now...can you use nuclear boilers to make the steam for coal, or is it low-pressure steam only?

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Huh, I swore when I read the wiki earlier when making that post that the wiki said there was no petroleum produced. But yeah, CL is mainly for if you're short on oil and/or you're drowning in coal.

I'm curious now...can you use nuclear boilers to make the steam for coal, or is it low-pressure steam only?

You can, but it's a bit of a waste. Nuclear steam is 500°C, boiler steam is 165°C, and coal liquefaction uses the same amount in either case.

(That said once you have nuclear power running, the amount of steam heat "wasted" by coal liquefaction is a rounding error.)

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
What'd be a good video to show someone you think would be interested in this? They already like openttd etc.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Just watching the trailer was enough to get me hooked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR01YdFtWFI
Also, there's a demo on the official website.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Gadzuko posted:

Just watching the trailer was enough to get me hooked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR01YdFtWFI
Also, there's a demo on the official website.

The amazing thing is that while that trailer is rather staged, and the graphics are a few iterations behind...it's such a hilariously accurate representation of the game itself. Especially the spaghetti.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I remember watching that trailer and thinking that was a crazy huge complicated factory, and playing my first game and being completely unable to build anything so cool-looking. But now I look at it and think "holy poo poo what a tiny, terribly-designed base."

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Finagle posted:

Trains?
Oil?
Sulfur?
Robots?

All of them. Oil is necessary for progression, and sulfur and hydrocarbons come hand-in-hand with that. Trains will become necessary as your early ore deposits run low and you begin to range farther out in search of more resources. Robots aren't really necessary, but they can add convenience in various ways.

I'd suggest prioritizing trains, because it becomes more difficult and annoying to build a train network if you wait until after you run out of iron.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

DontMockMySmock posted:

I remember watching that trailer and thinking that was a crazy huge complicated factory, and playing my first game and being completely unable to build anything so cool-looking. But now I look at it and think "holy poo poo what a tiny, terribly-designed base."

It's effective as a kind of time-lapse representation of the game's progression though

I don't know how to find it, but I remember one of the developers posting some of their creations where he said he didn't like bus designs, and instead built everything as this insanely tightly packed, convoluted mess where the main objective seemed to be to leave as few empty tiles as possible. It looked pretty cool. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

super fart shooter posted:

It's effective as a kind of time-lapse representation of the game's progression though

I don't know how to find it, but I remember one of the developers posting some of their creations where he said he didn't like bus designs, and instead built everything as this insanely tightly packed, convoluted mess where the main objective seemed to be to leave as few empty tiles as possible. It looked pretty cool. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

You are talking about this:
https://imgur.com/a/qDDs1

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Yeah I think it was featured in an FFF, and xterm gave like a 2 hour tour. It's impressive.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I feel like this is a bad time to ask since there's a new version coming soon, but what mods do people run nowadays? Both gameplay addition wise and quality of life/must have mods.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

For me, I try not to mod the game too much when it comes to altering gameplay so most of mine are QoL mods.

Quality of life:
Auto Deconstruct
Autofill
Bottleneck
Long Reach
Quick Start
Resource Spawner Overhaul
Squeak Through
VehicleSnap

Cosmetic:
Bullet Trails
Water Fix

Gameplay:
Electric Furnaces
Vanilla loaders
Side Inserters
Warehousing

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 10, 2017

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Long Reach Research, RSO, Rso radar, squeeze through and bottleneck are required for me.

Nice extras are afraid of the dark (maybe night, on mobile right now), even distribution, auto fill and vehicle snap.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Would a water version of the landfill break the game too much?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nalesh posted:

It basically lets you build indestructible walls.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Nalesh posted:

I think this is part of the normal landfill mod.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I decided to start an angelbobs game. Spent an hour on it, got up to automated red science. Sheesh

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Nalesh posted:

It's the only way to make proper nuclear power plants. Hopefully the new terrain transitions will make it less fiddly.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Sininu posted:

You are talking about this:
https://imgur.com/a/qDDs1

Those double ended trains!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

crabrock posted:

I decided to start an angelbobs game. Spent an hour on it, got up to automated red science. Sheesh

stay with it. After you do it for a while, vanilla seems so relaxing because you've done worse.

At least make your way to level two (white) circuits to experience the madness.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

seravid posted:

It's the only way to make proper nuclear power plants. Hopefully the new terrain transitions will make it less fiddly.

Funnily enough, all my nuke plants sit on reclaimed lakes.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Alkydere posted:

stay with it. After you do it for a while, vanilla seems so relaxing because you've done worse.

I launched a rocket in my first (and probably last) angelbobs game, and this is definitely true.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Jabor posted:

Funnily enough, all my nuke plants sit on reclaimed lakes.

Yeah my first landfill site is dedicated to my nuclear plant, which I takeover a lake for. Really nice that you can landfill on a water pump and it turns into a well.

I'm really excited for the 0.16 experimental release. The artillery cannon is going to be fun!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Dr. Pangloss posted:

I launched a rocket in my first (and probably last) angelbobs game, and this is definitely true.

When I first played vanilla, oil freaked me the gently caress out.

After playing Angelbob's and setting up poo poo like turning naptha into the chemical I could make plastic out of via red catalysts (which require a steady stream of copper ore), vanilla oil is the simplest loving thing.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Alkydere posted:

When I first played vanilla, oil freaked me the gently caress out.

After playing Angelbob's and setting up poo poo like turning naptha into the chemical I could make plastic out of via red catalysts (which require a steady stream of copper ore), vanilla oil is the simplest loving thing.

Hell, after just getting iron plates up and running using metallurgy, literally anything in vanilla is trivial.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Try as I might, I can't quite figure out how the gently caress to do angelbob's just right before white circuit boards. Something right before there just stonewalls me and I'm trying to figure out just what it is.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

NachtSieger posted:

Try as I might, I can't quite figure out how the gently caress to do angelbob's just right before white circuit boards. Something right before there just stonewalls me and I'm trying to figure out just what it is.

What have you already got, and what have you not got?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Am I doing something wrong or is 'autolaunch with cargo' buggy?
The rocket goes through the preparing phase, briefly flashes with the option to manually add a satellite and then launches itself before the fast inserter had a chance to load it:

Edit: I was doing something wrong. The satellite factory and silo shared a requester chest and the silo will accept the first piece of crap that's not a rocket ingredient into its inventory slot (in this case a radar dish). Whoopsie daisy.

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 10, 2017

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
Yeah, you can launch almost anything if you want to. There's a relevant achievement if you haven't already got it!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Really looking forward to the usual burst of MP when .16 comes out!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Brovine posted:

Yeah, you can launch almost anything if you want to. There's a relevant achievement if you haven't already got it!

Also a related easter egg!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Voyager I posted:

Yeah, it is kinda weird that we can put one on a train, but not on the ground.

I would've liked the artillery to be its own thing you can place on the ground, and then had a flatbed train wagon type that you could mount artillery or regular turrets on. Maybe some other stuff too. Lights. Speakers. A drive-on ramp for the car/tank that deploys when stationary. Bot bases? Radars?