Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i have roughly zero excitement for this expansion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Awesome! posted:

So uhhh the same as every other expansion, then.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

no?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Awesome! posted:

I got news for you: this thread (and the western playerbase) has been basically dead for a while now. Alice and Spawn tag-teamed it and it never recovered.

Shadowverse Next has to revitalize the game because competing with hearthstone (in Asia) is one thing but competing with motherfucking DRAGON QUEST is another. That reached half the total downloads of SV in one week. (SV's best chance seems to hope DQ:rivals implodes due to it being pretty drat p2w, from what i've heard)

trucutru fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 8, 2017

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

I thought the thread went pretty dead when it was Lightning Blast and Eachtar spam in TotG?

Anyways, Trucutru, can you write a primer on how to play fairies? I tried the deck out and it just didn't feel right, like I'm wondering if I'm loving up mulligan decisions (probable) or just not being aggro enough and knowing when to face vs when to kill their board with brambles.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yukari posted:

I thought the thread went pretty dead when it was Lightning Blast and Eachtar spam in TotG?

Anyways, Trucutru, can you write a primer on how to play fairies? I tried the deck out and it just didn't feel right, like I'm wondering if I'm loving up mulligan decisions (probable) or just not being aggro enough and knowing when to face vs when to kill their board with brambles.

ok!

1) You obviously want to have 1 drop, and should consider a hard-mulligan for one if you don't have one. Still, there are some 2 drops that are really, really good and you should keep them: Always keep song, Keep Liza against slow decks with both cheap spells and board clears (usually rune and dragon), consider keeping brambles against aggressive decks if you go second (if you go second there is a smaller chance of totally bricking your 1 drop, and brambles is key against aggro). The 1 drop is vital when going first so look for it aggressively.

2) You want your 1 and 2 drops to work well together. The best thing in your opening hand are a water fairy and a song plus another 2 drop, so here are the mulligan tips for them:

a) If you have song: Always keep water fairy, circle, whisperer, and brambles. (remember, you also want a one drop, so don't mulligan away a gobbo to look for a water fairy, it's just that the water fairy is better here). You want to generate tokens for the song and always keep in mind that you want to activate it in turn four (as long as you have at least 2 followers on board) so plan for that. If that means dropping a brambles on 3 and saving the fairies then do so.

b) if you have a water fairy: Always keep brambles, Liza, song. Keep in mind that the water fairy can be killed to give you another 1pp card to activate the song.

c) Other good combinations against aggro decks: Any 1 drop follower plus brambles, any one drop plus barrage (and may, if possible, always keep may against aggro if you have a 1 drop), specially if going second. Brambles, may, and barrage are how you can get the board back against aggro going second.

3) The game plan has two phases, first you want to go wide, pressure, and do enough damage for your finishers to work. Optimally you have 3 followers already on board in turn 4, and then you drop another 2 plus song, followed with Ipiria on 5 but you don't always get the nuts. So by turn four/five you must decide how are you going to finish the game *against decks that can wipe your board* and that means counting the damage you can do out-of-hand (Ipiria kinda counts as this). If you have a roach and a barrage in hand then you start planning for the roach combo, and keep a healthy amount of low-cost cards on hand. If you have a driver then you plan for that instead and start hoarding fairies if possible. This is the most important thing, good decks will inevitably deal with all your poo poo on board with their powerful cards, so you must be able to deal with them with your Iguanas and out-of-hand damage.

4) Liza: She lets you win games that you have no chance of winning otherwise, so learn when she's the most effective and use her at that moment (6pp against dragon and burn rune, just after you have 3 fairies on board against blood) if possible. But don't be afraid to drop her on two if you have nothing else or to protect your one drop if you have a good song hand and are facing stuff like dragon or rune.

5) Against aggro you fight for that board if you can get good or free trades (If you cant then you go face and pray). Brambles lets you get insane value against lots of things, and barrage helps you deal with bigger stuff. You can even use barrage on the brambles to keep the party going for longer sometimes.

6) Evolving your iguanas on the turn they drop are a good idea if you know that they can't be killed and you have a way to deal with taunts. So, if you'll be able to kill your foe with it try to save a skill point to deal with wards. Same deal with roaches and drivers: a saved evolve can help you deal with lots of poo poo. So if you are in going-face mode and have a driver (plus fairies) on hand it is a good idea save the evo. Anything you evolve on the field will probably get killed next turn, so you only got 2 extra damage out of it. Meanwhile dropping a driver plus many fairies, then removing a ward with the evolved driver and going face with the fairies can deal much more and, in the worst case, you can still evolve one of the storm fairies for the 2 damage you lost earlier.

7) Control blood: Keep then as low as possible outside vengeance and then look for a OTK finish. Pressure with iguanas, kill with roaches or drivers. Like, if they are at 13hp with 7pp and you drop an iguana they cannot kill it, so you next turn you obliterate their asses. Flooding the board with crap plus Liza also works to get you the extra damage you need.

Play a shitload of non-ranked to get used to the deck, specially to get the hang on when to switch plans from chipping with your gobbos and fairies to saving them for burst.

Extra tip: Barrage is obviously great for roaches but if you have a driver and lots of fairies on hand you can use barrage to rescue the driver after he whips a few worthless insects for another round of healthy fairy slavery.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Do you ever use song for faeries alone or is it entirely a waste to do so? I had a hand that was like... one drop song song and I didn't draw anything for turn 2. Thanks for the help.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yukari posted:

Do you ever use song for faeries alone or is it entirely a waste to do so? I had a hand that was like... one drop song song and I didn't draw anything for turn 2. Thanks for the help.

Only if you're desperate or if it will help you get lethal with roach combos or a driver (song, fairy, fairy, roach). In your example you are desperate enough and the fairies from the first song will help with the second, so you should use it then, just don't expect to win.

edit: According to shadowlog, aggro forest has the second best win rate of all the popular decks at master's (#1 is roach, so it's not a problem if someone confuses them), but sub-50% win rate at low ranks so it's indeed a hard deck to play properly. I mean, for an aggro deck.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 8, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ah yes. Great. Playing a match with one of those complete jerks who always waits 50 seconds before hitting end turn.

e: It's a. I've fought them before. I'm like 98% sure they have a score of 6000~ because they wait for people to leave the match.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
I ran into someone back in February by the name of シノル who never ended their turns manually, so I started doing the same. Took me 45 minutes to win.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ah yes. Great. Playing a match with one of those complete jerks who always waits 50 seconds before hitting end turn.

e: It's a. I've fought them before. I'm like 98% sure they have a score of 6000~ because they wait for people to leave the match.

It's legitimately tilting, even if you play it out. I would kill for a time-bank system or bullet-mode like Chess, because these trolls really ruin the game.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
What rank are you guys talking about? I can't even remember the last time I played against a griefer here in Master.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

BoldFace posted:

What rank are you guys talking about? I can't even remember the last time I played against a griefer here in Master.

C1.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

This new meta is weird but I'm able to play Nep again and do okay enough so I guess it's ok. I miss Atomy though.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

This new meta is weird but I'm able to play Nep again and do okay enough so I guess it's ok. I miss Atomy though.

Meta is pretty good, yeah, all classes have at least a decent deck and some (mainly blood) have a shitload of options.

Who would have guessed that Elana would resurrect to deal with aggro for one last time?

I am waiting for tomorrows shadolog trends to see if I guessed the win rate of some decks properly.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So it seems like the meta has not changed much besides more and more people teching against aggro decks, which still have an overall positive win rate. Aggro forest and roach are still doing pretty fine so I'm now experimenting with kind of a combination of both, which is to say an aggro forest that has a better chance of dealing lethal with roaches (to 1-shot anti-aggro decks and vengeance dudes). Ariana gives you some really surprising burst damage.

Fairy, fairy, ivy, roach, bounce, roach happens really often and it's a solid 12-14 damage out of nowhere for only 8pp.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

so i dont play a ton of rune, tell me how it feels from that side when you rat an entire board of mars+white paladin tokens while ahead on hp and then get killed with your own rats 2 turns later

from the sword side its pretty :discourse:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Awesome! posted:

so i dont play a ton of rune, tell me how it feels from that side when you rat an entire board of mars+white paladin tokens while ahead on hp and then get killed with your own rats 2 turns later

from the sword side its pretty :discourse:

I mean any time you cast a non-lethal mutagenic bolt it's a last-ditch effort to stay alive, you don't do it because you're happy about it

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I won that game. Ask me about the power of Neph.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Heavenly Aegis. Sure. I've dealt with you fuckface before

so the player apologizes

and plays

Themis' loving degree on all of my blockers. :argh:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

sounds about right

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I described this game to my brother as "your hand is full of bullshit instawin cards. You know you can win next turn. But wait! Your opponent has even more bullshit cards! Congratulations you just lost. Want to try again?"

And I mean. For every entertaining match where I get to puzzle out a close match as we damage race each other... there's rune. Or dragoncraft whipping out genesis dragons. Or...

Heck with it though, it's fun to play and hilarious when you get to be on the side with the Mordecai.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the Mysteria mechanic in rune looks cool as hell

I'm probably gonna keep playing rune after rotation (in ranked at least, gotta have that sexy image of masters with only wins in one class) but am reasonably likely to give up on my attempts to get into masters playing only Daria. My true rank given my skill level and that limitation is the border of AA2 and AA3.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

cheetah7071 posted:

the Mysteria mechanic in rune looks cool as hell

I'm probably gonna keep playing rune after rotation (in ranked at least, gotta have that sexy image of masters with only wins in one class) but am reasonably likely to give up on my attempts to get into masters playing only Daria. My true rank given my skill level and that limitation is the border of AA2 and AA3.

It is too self-contained, you either play all mysteria cards or just play Mysteria Knowledge in a spell-boost deck. They needed to print at least 10 of them (or make older "mysteria" cards also count) so that players have meaningful choices to make.

Right now, if they are properly balanced, you'll need to play the full synergy set (if you can play less that that, and then they print more in the future, it will become busted), which is fine, but boring from a design perspective.

So, turn 2 Jill, then you *need* to play turn 3 Beryl and suicide the Jill. Otherwise they'll kill the Beryl and stop both sources of value from happening in turn 4.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 14, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I mean I'm assuming that they'll reveal more mysteria cards and maybe add the trait to the old mysteria-themes cards

If nothing else the mysteria legend functions fine with piercing rune and (in unlimited) levi even if she's the only mysteria card you play. She's also, coincidentally, by far the coolest of the bunch and the one I want to play with most

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm just gonna play Mysteria by herself in a dirt deck to make my finisher stronger/

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Aggro forest update: Ariana is really loving good, is a fine four drop outside song, and helps you deal with the latest batch of anti-aggro decks.

I've had a couple of people just straight-up concede when she hits the board and gets the discount.

Good-bye Fairy Dancers, you were the weakest link.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The game crashes during the third tutorial mission, and I can't skip it for some reason. Hm. Cool game.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Looks like the leader version of Cerberus managed to obtain a pair of spats and people are protesting. Will this be the final doom of Shadowverse.tm?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The game would be better if everybody was wearing about twice as much fabric, at least

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Anyways if by "people are protesting" you mean "the subreddit doesn't like it" then good gently caress 'em

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

The game would be better if everybody was wearing about twice as much fabric, at least

:yeah:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Turn the bikinis into sporty outfits, the sporty outfits into full clothing, and the full clothing into extremely intricate frilly nonsense pieces imo

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Turn the lovely bikini armor into real armor too while you're at it. Like what White Paladin and Elf Knight Cynthia have got going.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
They could have done a better job than putting a pair of boxer briefs under her bikini bottom.

Like when they put clothes on Carabosse/Rapunzel it looked good so nobody cared. This looks like they animated the card version of cerb and only afterwards tried to de-lewd it.

There would be very few complaints if they just used the third (!) cerberus card art which is much more dressed than the leader we got.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 21, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Daria kinda looks like poo poo too, she has weird spindly legs. I think they must have phoned the new leaders in a bit.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

cheetah7071 posted:

Actually, the man-candy could do with a little bit less armor.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

trucutru posted:

Actually, the man-candy could do with a little bit less armor.

doubling Leonidas' clothing will still leave plenty of bulge to ogle

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

cheetah7071 posted:

doubling Leonidas' clothing will still leave plenty of bulge to ogle

I just saw the Cerberus leader and that's some 4kids-level of quality re-touching. Ahahahaha.

Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Man, Cerberus lovely costume created more traffic in this thread that all the cards revealed for the next expansion. (They are really boring cards so it's understandable).

• Locked thread