Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

dphi posted:

It wasn't so much about keeping the current class together as it is Cristobal being touted as a really strong recruiter.

I don't know enough about Sumlin to say whether he would be better. Seemed to have an average record without Johnny Football despite having some big time talent, but I wouldn't have been mad at all if he was the hire.

I certainly could be wrong--I think you guys got left late in the cycle and unfortunately Kelly was no longer available (who I am sure would've been your top target).

And I'm not sure Sumlin is the only guy you'd go after. I just struggle to think that, with all your resources, Cristobal is the best y'all could do.

Maybe Cristobal will be great. The players certainly are behind him. It just feels incredibly underwhelming for a very capable and attractive program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Yeah, I used to think that way too but now I think maybe Oregon isn't that desirable of a coaching position after all. Best we could do last year was a coach many (including myself) hadn't heard of - and he bolted after a year.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I don't think there was anyone that would be great for Oregon on the market. To be sure, Oregon is a real good job, but Memphis got Mike Norvell tied down, they came too late in the cycle to get Scott Frost (who likely was always Nebraska-bound), and by the time the dust had settled there was nobody left at the ball. I mean, there were, but clearly they didn't consider them. They could've spun the roulette wheel on Neal Brown (done a great job at Troy), or Ryan Day (a Chip Kelly disciple that's currently Ohio State's offensive coordinator), but other than Taggart, Oregon hasn't really had a head coaching search since Rich Brooks. So I imagine they need new blood in the athletic department, but I don't think this was necessarily a bad hire.

dphi posted:

Yeah, I used to think that way too but now I think maybe Oregon isn't that desirable of a coaching position after all. Best we could do last year was a coach many (including myself) hadn't heard of - and he bolted after a year.
I don't think Oregon's at all a bad job; lots of money, a great brand, and look: y'all got Willie Taggart last year, a great hire by any stretch--he just got the call from his favorite team growing up back in his home state, there's not much you can do in that situation. Just bad timing on the market and an uncreative athletic department. It sounds like they never really looked outside Cristobal.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Taggart was definitely a great hire, but he wasn't a big name or even one that I heard come up for other vacancies last year. He also wasn't Oregon's first choice as Rhule apparently turned us down.

Supposedly Oregon interviewed four candidates this time around. Gotta think the other three included Sumlin and Wilcox. Harsin got an interview last year and was reported to be their third choice at the time. Would imagine Leavitt got an interview but who knows.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Oregon’s reasons for Cristobal are pretty simple:

- The Ducks administration is obsessed with recruiting and Cristobal is one of the best recruiters alive. They’ve gone from having awful recruiting classes under Helfrich to one of the best in the country. It’s loving hard to recruit kids to a boring, rainy valley town.

- Oregon wants to win now, while 79 year old Phil Knight is still around. This is why they were impatient with Helfrich, and will be impatient if Cristobal is anything less than very good. They don’t wait to wait for another rebuilding year, and Cristobal brings continuity.

- Cristobal’s salary is reasonable for a second tier program and Oregon will have the budget to outspend just about anyone for assistants. They learned from their fuckup with Taggart and structured the contract so that he will owe $10M if he leaves after one year.

- Cristobal is probably at least a decent HC. He inherited a completely broken 3 year old FIU program with serious sanctions, no facilities, and no money and brought them to respectability. (In his press conference, he told an anecdote about how one time FIU hadn’t paid a company to provide busses to a game and they literally had to take the team in staffer’s cars.)

- He brings a “championship pedigree”, FWIW, as a player at the U and under Saban. This doesn’t mean poo poo but obviously a lot of people believe there’s some sort of magical Saban dust which his assistants are imbued with. At the very least it’s easy to believe he’s learned things about being a more effective HC since his time at FIU.

- He didn’t have the baggage of Leavitt, Leach, or a lot of other good coaches with some checkered personal histories.

- Cristobal’s an excellent offensive line coach—one of the best in the country, as Oregon saw this year with a marginally talented line—and will stay in that position as HC.

Don’t get me wrong, Cristobal could very well flame out or be mediocre. Oregon likely wishes they had had a chance to make a run at Frost or Mullen earlier in the process (I doubt Kelly would’ve ever come back). But at this point the only other good coaching prospect they wouldn’t have had to pay a king’s ransom to pry away was Sumlin. And unless the hire was just incredible it would have meant starting from scratch in a lot of ways.

Cristobal’s potential is huge and the downsides contained. If Oregon can retain a lot of their staff, especially Leavitt, it’s hard to see them not be in the top 2 or 3 of Pac teams next year. If things implode (or are even just meh) over the next couple years, they can fire Cristobal and make a run at a top flight coach earlier in the annual carousel process, without having to rush or get leftovers.

Sent from my iPad fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 9, 2017

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I honestly think he's a decent hire, it just looks weird. Cristobal worked wonders at FIU and if he wasn't fired for no good reason, he'd probably have a good HC job somewhere anyway.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Who were the other realistic options for Oregon at this point in the carousel anyway besides random MWC OC

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I honestly think he's a decent hire, it just looks weird. Cristobal worked wonders at FIU and if he wasn't fired for no good reason, he'd probably have a good HC job somewhere anyway.
You definitely have to wonder why he wasn’t getting HC opportunities left and right after a couple years at Bama, especially considering his recruiting and that by all accounts he made one of the worst programs in the country competitive. I dunno. But I assume after a year there Oregon has done some degree of due diligence.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

dphi posted:

Taggart was definitely a great hire, but he wasn't a big name or even one that I heard come up for other vacancies last year. He also wasn't Oregon's first choice as Rhule apparently turned us down.

He was definitely being mentioned for other vacancies and was one of the biggest G5 names. It was a really good hire, timing just wound up being bad with Jimbo jumping ship out of nowhere.

Sent from my iPad posted:

You definitely have to wonder why he wasn’t getting HC opportunities left and right after a couple years at Bama, especially considering his recruiting and that by all accounts he made one of the worst programs in the country competitive. I dunno. But I assume after a year there Oregon has done some degree of due diligence.

He got mentioned here and there, especially when Miami or some of the smaller Florida jobs opened up.

I think he’s an okay hire under the circumstances. The early signing day speeds the process up a lot so they didn’t have a ton of time if they wanted to savalge the class, which is even more important there because they just went through a coaching change last year. He can recruit and the job he did building FIU was pretty amazing under the circumstances. If they spend money and nail the coordinator hires he has the potential to be a good CEO coach in the Dabo mold.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

A lot of the assistants are going to stay on under Cristobal, it sounds like. Joe Salave'a (D-line), Charles Clark (cornerbacks), Keith Hayward (safeties), and Marcus Arroyo (QB/TEs) are apparently locks, and Michael Johnson (WRs) is in flux.

A big questionmark is Leavitt. Lot of rumors that he's angry that he didn't get the HC offer, but also rumors that he's angry with Taggart for bailing after a year. He may be stewing in a corner, downing Pepsi after Pepsi and working himself up to angrily doing whatever it is he chooses to do.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

more contract stuff

quote:

Oregon: Mario Cristobal’s contract with Oregon is 5 years at $2.5 million per year. Should he leave before January 31, 2019 he would owe the University $10 million. Should Oregon choose to let him go (without cause) he would be owed 50% of remaining base salary left on his contract (subject to mitigation from future employment).

Herm Edwards: Herm Edwards’ contract with Arizona State is 5 years, beginning at $2 million per, with annual $250,000 raises. Should ASU fired Edwards (without cause) the university would owe him 100% of the remaining base pay of his contract.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I love that Herm Edwards has a fully guaranteed contract

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

KKKLIP ART posted:

I love that Herm Edwards has a fully guaranteed contract

The ASU coeds will come to regret that when their athletics fees go up. Not that they'll notice, seems like that place has 1 class and the class is topless party.

Real talk this hire feels completely like a pathetic handout to a friend, like Herm's old agent is the AD and is buddies with his new agent and they all just were like look: we can milk this Pac 12 school real hard with lots of business jargon when we announce you okay, you can go spend a few years playing golf in Arizona picking up on the hot moms Herm how does that sound while we drain this place of millions. I just can't see how a competent organization would hire a guy as HC who wasn't very good at it 20 years ago and doesn't even know what the NCAA recruiting rules are or that modern jerseys are made out of fancy materials that stretch and aren't just like burlap sacks anymore. It feels like a total farce and they're the maniacal baddies laughing in the background at how gullible the ASU admin is.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 9, 2017

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Heupel took Mizzou's awesome OL coach Glen Elarbee with him to UCF. If Elarbee isn't OC there, I'll be pissed.

Oh, Mizzou also named Ryan Walters their DC? He was the DB coach and I am pretty unsure of the promotion, but he can't be worse than Demontie Cross.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

Oh, Mizzou also named Ryan Walters their DC? He was the DB coach and I am pretty unsure of the promotion, but he can't be worse than Demontie Cross.

Man if there's a part of the Missouri defense that screamed 'promote me' this year it was the DBs, am I right?

There's actually an argument that he did the best coaching job since that's the part of the team that went super young half way through year and held together just as well or a bit better than they were earlier in the year, but man they were bad.

e: Oh he was Co-DC as well as the DB coach.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

This is the face of regret.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Don't doxx General Dog

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

an adult beverage posted:

Don't doxx General Dog

:drat:

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Ahahahahahaha.

You just made $75 million, guaranteed, and you look like you just got a terminal diagnosis of incurable dysentery. Meanwhile Taggart looks like he's hit the loving lottery and can't stop smiling.

Think Jimbo's been shown a grode jar yet? Or seen the cadet squeeze n' scream? I love the idea that no-nonsense Jimbo has just been crowned King of the Nonsense Realm.

"Coach, at midnight we're having a seance at the Reveille graveyard, you'll need to get a wavy-bladed dagger and a robe as you are the Lord High Summoner now... please hug my neck and sway around."

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Ahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

jimbo looks like it is exactly .8 seconds after he drank from the wrong grail

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
How long until you think that tuft of hair up front disappears and he has the full horseshoe look?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crotch Bat posted:

How long until you think that tuft of hair up front disappears and he has the full horseshoe look?

One week.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

JonathonSpectre posted:

Meanwhile Taggart looks like he's hit the loving lottery and can't stop smiling.

It's nice having a coach that seems to want to be there. Taggart is super loving psyched to be at FSU and Mullen is super loving psyched to be at UF.

It's nice to see actually.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

LeeMajors posted:

It's nice having a coach that seems to want to be there. Taggart is super loving psyched to be at FSU and Mullen is super loving psyched to be at UF.

It's nice to see actually.

Now let's hope both of them kick rear end and our game can go back to being the true semi-final to the national championship it was always meant to be.

Or at least just get me a loving DC whose defense doesn't fold so often on third down the fanbase starts calling it "third and Kelly."

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

JonathonSpectre posted:

Now let's hope both of them kick rear end and our game can go back to being the true semi-final to the national championship it was always meant to be.

Or at least just get me a loving DC whose defense doesn't fold so often on third down the fanbase starts calling it "third and Kelly."

That last play against miami

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:negative:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
didn’t jimbo get hair plugs, like, last year

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Raku posted:

What could possibly be considered inferior competition to fiu and rutgers

Pitt, Syracuse, BC, UConn, etc... Schiano's teams were way better in terms of on field talent and would lose these WTF games.

MourningView posted:

FIU was an absolute pit (they had literally never been over .500) when he got their with no institutional support for football at all. Basically the only thing it had going for it was location. He recruited amazingly well under the circumstances but it’s not like he was lapping the Sun Belt or something, especially because they had huge academic issues before he got there and were on scholarship restrictions as a result, which hurt depth. Like TY Hilton was obviously way too good for the Sun Belt but it’s not like he had a whole team of those guys.

That doesn't refute what I said. Both Cristobal and Schiano are awesome at rebuilding. They also are bad choices for top jobs.

Sent from my iPad posted:

Cristobal’s potential is huge and the downsides contained. If Oregon can retain a lot of their staff, especially Leavitt, it’s hard to see them not be in the top 2 or 3 of Pac teams next year. If things implode (or are even just meh) over the next couple years, they can fire Cristobal and make a run at a top flight coach earlier in the annual carousel process, without having to rush or get leftovers.

Broken record at this point, but this is exactly what we said about Kyle Flood, and would have been the case if it wasn't for a basketball scandal that caused our AD to be fired and a Tennessee-style AD civil war to break out. You can't leave poo poo like this to chance.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 9, 2017

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Tennessee was also the best team but lost a lot

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kim Jong Il posted:

That doesn't refute what I said. Both Cristobal and Schiano are awesome at rebuilding. They also are bad choices for top jobs.

His teams weren’t actually dramatically more talented than the teams he was playing, especially when you factor in depth. Look at what FIU was before and after him, he was not underachieving.

Again, it’ll depend some on coordinator hires, but he’s fine at a place that can recruit at a high level and Oregon can and has.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

R.D. Mangles posted:

jimbo looks like it is exactly .8 seconds after he drank from the wrong grail

:laugh:

This 10-year deal has the potential to get really ugly. Who was the least happy coach on the sidelines in recent memory? Butch Jones? Bo Pelini?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

LLCoolJD posted:

This 10-year deal has the potential to get really ugly. Who was the least happy coach on the sidelines in recent memory? Butch Jones? Bo Pelini?

Jim McElwain looked loving miserable in his last few games. and Paul Johnson always looks grumpy.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

MourningView posted:

He got mentioned here and there, especially when Miami or some of the smaller Florida jobs opened up.

He became as described to me by a Miami booster as a complete persona non grata for leaving the Miami AHC job in 2013 after six weeks and right after signing day for Alabama. Never even considered for a position on the staff when Richt came aboard (which would be a downwards move, don't get me wrong). Lot of people think this is his last big chance around South Florida.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Is the 2017 carousel about wrapped up, who's left on the board?

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

LLCoolJD posted:

I can almost guarantee that Sumlin was miserable, especially after the death threat.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubw5N8iVDHI

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Texas hired the TCU AD I guess

Or maybe it's another terrible gently caress up by the Texas football media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

an adult beverage posted:

Is the 2017 carousel about wrapped up, who's left on the board?

Sumlin needs a job doesn't he?

• Locked thread