Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
According to Watership Down rabbits can abort at will and doing so is an important part of keeping their burrows from becoming overcrowded. A superior lapine contraceptive tale imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Comparing Zootopia to Watership Down just seems impolite.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Guy Mann posted:

According to Watership Down rabbits can abort at will and doing so is an important part of keeping their burrows from becoming overcrowded. A superior lapine contraceptive tale imho.

That's also actually a true thing rabbits can do, making this a particularly ironic choice for this kind of thing.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
https://twitter.com/rickswriting/status/938675464146735104

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, that's a much better version than my own, I must admit.

Though I still kinda like this one I made that got absolutely zero traction:

https://twitter.com/The_Shadow_Hog/status/938832865613238274

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://twitter.com/hey_rogby/status/938649028161671170

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe

Guy Mann posted:

rabbits do actually do this! so do a lot of other animals - it's an invisible issue plaguing conservation right now, because most of them haven't been studied yet so we have no idea if their birthrate is dropping because of external forces (like poisoning, low fertility, etc) or if the breeding adults are so stressed that they're miscarrying deliberately. which obviously means we don't know what to do about it.

speaking of which, where the gently caress are all the conservation-themed cartoons nowadays? i was talking to some people my age irl about it and we agreed that we wouldn't be where we were today without watership down, farthing wood, fern gully (lol, but it made more of an impact than you'd think) and there were some others that i vividly remember but can't name, mostly british. nowadays there's nothing. plenty of animals, but certainly no eco message. is it just that those types of movies don't get funding anymore, or get executive pressure even if they manage to be greenlit?

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe
i have this mental image from my early childhood of a sett full of cartoon badgers getting asphyxiated on-screen and i don't know if it was a movie or a fever dream

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

pokemon posted:

i have this mental image from my early childhood of a sett full of cartoon badgers getting asphyxiated on-screen and i don't know if it was a movie or a fever dream

not sure if it was on-screen, but you're probably thinking of Once Upon a Forest, as the little girl inhaled enough poisonous gas to end up comatose, while her parents expired from it. I do think the old badger teacher had a flashback explanation of his family dying due to a similar incident.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 8, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

pokemon posted:

That's Once Upon a Forest. The girl almost dies and her parents die, and you see their bodies.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, that's a much better version than my own, I must admit.

Though I still kinda like this one I made that got absolutely zero traction:

https://twitter.com/The_Shadow_Hog/status/938832865613238274

https://twitter.com/Octopimp/status/938886978627518465

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Cross-posting from GenChat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFDKWbg2xjg

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hemingway To Go! posted:

That's also actually a true thing rabbits can do, making this a particularly ironic choice for this kind of thing.

It's also something you can roll dice to do in the rabbit themed tabletop RPG "burrows and bunnies"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

pokemon posted:

It was an H2S leak, didn't it kill most of critters in that area?

Also speaking of good eco films, The Plague Dogs seems far too obscure for what it is about. Maybe it's more a product of its time but I feel that is a movie you shouldn't skip if you want to teach your kids some harsh lessons about the world.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Sampson & Sally is the cartoon that saw the future for me!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Fangz posted:

Yeah but it's a lot more normal in Latin America.
I can't speak for the rest of my country, but in my good ol'e southern state of Alabama we have evangical Christians about to line up to vote for an accused pedophile because "his opponent is for killing babies". A whole lot of the anti Doug Jones campaigning is based on the fact he is pro reproductive rights and the conservatives hate that.

Plus the murder of abortion doctors, the laws passed to make it more difficult to run a clinic, the constant call for defunding PP, O'Keeffe ridiculous stunt STILL being used as evidence, their desire to overturn roe v wade...

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 8, 2017

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

According to EW, The Incredibles 2 is apparently only half focused on Mr. Incredible handling Jack-Jack; the other half focuses on Elastigirl indulging her appetite for adventure for once.

...that's about all it says, really, but hey, at least they're not just taking the short made after the first film and extending it to 90 minutes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

It lost its magic slip resistance when it struck midnight, GOD

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It’s a slipper. The gently caress you think it was gonna do?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

pokemon posted:

speaking of which, where the gently caress are all the conservation-themed cartoons nowadays? i was talking to some people my age irl about it and we agreed that we wouldn't be where we were today without watership down, farthing wood, fern gully (lol, but it made more of an impact than you'd think) and there were some others that i vividly remember but can't name, mostly british. nowadays there's nothing. plenty of animals, but certainly no eco message. is it just that those types of movies don't get funding anymore, or get executive pressure even if they manage to be greenlit?

Modern animation generally tends to shy away from didacticism, unless it's targeted at a very young audience.

This is a pro-click.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Samuel Clemens posted:

Modern animation generally tends to shy away from didacticism, unless it's targeted at a very young audience.

I'd argue it's mainstream film, period, which no longer strives to be didactic. Bear in mind films like Soylent Green were the action films of their day. poo poo, The Running Man.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Does/did that kind of stuff actually work? My gut instinct is that being preached at like that nowadays would just create the opposite reaction out of spite.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Saw Coco, it was alright. The city was the MVP of the movie. That place was gorgeous.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

World Famous W posted:

I can't speak for the rest of my country, but in my good ol'e southern state of Alabama we have evangical Christians about to line up to vote for an accused pedophile because "his opponent is for killing babies". A whole lot of the anti Doug Jones campaigning is based on the fact he is pro reproductive rights and the conservatives hate that.

Plus the murder of abortion doctors, the laws passed to make it more difficult to run a clinic, the constant call for defunding PP, O'Keeffe ridiculous stunt STILL being used as evidence, their desire to overturn roe v wade...

My understanding is that the crazy no-abortions allowed position is actually the current law in Brazil and supported by the majority of people according to surveys, so I think the cultural whiplash here is that this artist probably didn't even think they were even making a very strong statement.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Had to take some relatives to a family friendly film so I saw coco. It was pretty good. No moana but a solid emotional picture about family and music. I appreciated how dark and morbid it felt at times for a kids movie ("hey guys! You can't even escape from death and suffering when you die!!"). Just a few weird things
1.) not sure I liked them puppeteering Frida's corpse? It stood out in a film where everything else is original characters and music. Like, I get that she's an icon but she's also a real person...maybe this is just me, I just found it weird to have frida show up and be like "ohhh I'm so wacky! Wacky wacky wacky!!!"
2.) Do you show up to the land of the dead the age you died? Coco having to be a wrinkled doddering septuagenarian or w/e forever felt so weird lol. Like she's walking with her parent skeletons who are like, in their 30a or 40s and she's still looking old as gently caress as much as a skeleton can

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

1.) not sure I liked them puppeteering Frida's corpse? It stood out in a film where everything else is original characters and music. Like, I get that she's an icon but she's also a real person...maybe this is just me, I just found it weird to have frida show up and be like "ohhh I'm so wacky! Wacky wacky wacky!!!"

Desperado Bones posted:

In my country most people are tired of Frida,Like exhausted. She has been elevated in to idol status, like she is the one and only mexican cultural "icon" (while ignoring better artists), and is a very marketable figure nowadays, so far I wouldn't be surprised if her face ended stamped on bean cans. I mean...I've stumble with girls dressed up at her on a walk to the mall. So most of us were in loving stitches at her being represented that way, a pretentious artist with some weird ideas. .

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Punkin Spunkin posted:

2.) Do you show up to the land of the dead the age you died? Coco having to be a wrinkled doddering septuagenarian or w/e forever felt so weird lol. Like she's walking with her parent skeletons who are like, in their 30a or 40s and she's still looking old as gently caress as much as a skeleton can

I think that your age in the land of the dead is vague and basically whatever age you're most remembered as. So, like, dead child stars are almost certainly still children even if they died in old age, for example.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Ahhhh I guess the frida stuff makes sense then, didn't really know that angle.
Poor coco tho. That second point still kinda sucks for her.
I did appreciate there not being a Frozen short. I didn't even see Frozen proper so I was nooot down. Didn't know they pulled it so I was wildly positively surprised when the Coco music started playing instead of some snowmen showing up or some poo poo

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Fangz posted:

My understanding is that the crazy no-abortions allowed position is actually the current law in Brazil and supported by the majority of people according to surveys, so I think the cultural whiplash here is that this artist probably didn't even think they were even making a very strong statement.

That was my take on it too. Nick wasn't taking the perspective of some 'every life is precious' religious fundie, he was just written with what's normal for someone in Brazil.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii3n7hYQOl4

Animated Spider-man trailer, looks gorgeous.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Yoooo that looks sick!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm glad to see Miles Morales in an adaptation but I don't like that visual style at all.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Love the visual style, worried about how much movie is going to be Miles story and how much is trans-dimensional Spider-man squad fighting vampires

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I trust Lord and Miller on this one.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I love the visual style when he's wearing the mask. His face looks weird as hell and kinda jerky when he takes the mask off.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I love the visual style when he's wearing the mask. His face looks weird as hell and kinda jerky when he takes the mask off.

yea I was gonna say the same thing. Everything else is so stylized and unique and then his face is close to generic imitation disney. I think it's mostly the eyes. At least other things like the lighting and way its animated is still cool.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Love the visual style, worried about how much movie is going to be Miles story and how much is trans-dimensional Spider-man squad fighting vampires

The subtitle "Into the Spider-Verse" makes me think it'll start off with the former but the focus will be the latter.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pigbuster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii3n7hYQOl4

Animated Spider-man trailer, looks gorgeous.

Whoa, that is considerably better looking than I was expecting. I thought this was for a TV series and expected the more budget level look that brings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'm loving that Spider-Man trailer, but I'm thinking maybe they might have stylized it a bit too much? Like...the dropped frames to make it look a bit jerky, like stop-motion; okay. The subtle dots in the shading to give it a kind of newspaper/halftone look; okay. But together? It might be a bit overkill. I dunno, I'll have to see how distracting it is in a longer scene.