Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'm very bad at hearing other players, today I was killed in the luchador arena and the killcam showed how the guy directly heard me and spotted me. I didn't even know someone was there.
How do I improve at that? Do you have sound extremely high or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Croccers posted:

What?
I thought the new map was meant to be half the size and more condensed.

They backed out of this plan and made it 8x8 like the other one. More of it is land now though - it's not surrounded by water.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Chopstix posted:

Also proceeds to crash and burn the vehicle he's driving.

Speaking of crashing and burning...

https://youtu.be/7TZDo8cE7eg

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Le0 posted:

I'm very bad at hearing other players, today I was killed in the luchador arena and the killcam showed how the guy directly heard me and spotted me. I didn't even know someone was there.
How do I improve at that? Do you have sound extremely high or something?

Were you using headphones?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

fletcher posted:

Were you using headphones?

Yes I have headphones

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
i like the aesthetic of the new map but it's too loving big

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Ruined 3 guys with the M24 on my way to a victory but it is pretty anti climactic when the last guy I just stumble upon prone and looking in some other direction

edit: and I still zero BP

Tweak fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Dec 9, 2017

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I feel like the new map favours shooting ability more than tactics, at least relative to Erangel. There's a lot less hiding and a lot more straight shoot-outs, especially over ridges where essentially only headshots are possible. Flanks are definitely still possible, but you expose yourself so much from other sides by doing it, since there's no cover anywhere on the hillsides

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Glorious. Love this kind of short clips.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The bike rules now, I love it. The new vehicle physics took away almost all of the possibility of randomly flipping and killing yourself on a bump. This map is also a lot harsher off-road and the bike can just zip through it unlike the cars. The only problem is that it's still as deadly as ever when you're trying to stand it up, it might even have gotten worse in that regard.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Le0 posted:

Yes I have headphones

Are you using some kind of software with the headphones that emulates 7.1 surround? If yes, turn off the software.

Also, yea you have to turn up the volume.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Wheee are all the giant cacti to hide behind?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

OxySnake posted:

Is it just me or do vehicles run through gas way faster on the new map now?

I think the truck is just a gas guzzler. The buggy doesn't run dry like, ever.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Communist Q posted:

New map is pretty fun, but loot density definitely feels off. I wish they'd get rid of cosmetic spawns. I really think it'd help it.

I could be way off but my guess is that the number of item spawns was carried over from Erangel, while the number of spawn locations increased massively. Because yeah, density seems much lower than on the live servers.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

daslog posted:

Are you using some kind of software with the headphones that emulates 7.1 surround? If yes, turn off the software.

Also, yea you have to turn up the volume.

Oh god you revolutionised my world... My sound card was configured for 5.1 but since I had headphones basically I couldn't hear anything behind me.
I can finally hear

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Another part of it might just be not knowing -where- the loot will spawn in the new buildings, after enough hours on the first map you know exactly which spots in a house can have something spawn at it, your not used to the new buildings.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

There are a lot more places with loot kind of out in the open too, which we're not used to. Went to the water treatment plant last night and there was a TON of stuff on top of water tanks and in the filtering pools. Power substation has loot all over the middle. Basically, a lot more bits like the shooting range.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Do we know when the test server is going away this time? Thinking about downloading and trying it out, but I have a usage cap so every gig counts.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

odiv posted:

Do we know when the test server is going away this time? Thinking about downloading and trying it out, but I have a usage cap so every gig counts.

They mentioned this build is going away in a couple days and then a new build will be dropped for final testing ahead of the December 20th release.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

NmareBfly posted:

There are a lot more places with loot kind of out in the open too, which we're not used to. Went to the water treatment plant last night and there was a TON of stuff on top of water tanks and in the filtering pools. Power substation has loot all over the middle. Basically, a lot more bits like the shooting range.

Seconded. Around small compounds, check in horse transport trailers. Also picked up painkillers among discarded bottles on a picnic table.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
This is probably the most intense win we've had in a while. Completely lucked out here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCyb6YoxkgE

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

I could be way off but my guess is that the number of item spawns was carried over from Erangel, while the number of spawn locations increased massively. Because yeah, density seems much lower than on the live servers.

Bingo! This is what my friends and I were guessing. While there's definitely some adjustment, compare the amount of spawns in West Yasnaya's duplexes to some of the equivalent sized buildings, and it's a pretty stark difference. It really felt pretty feast or famine in a comparison to Erangel where we can typically get decently geared in 5 or so minutes then start hunting.

Communist Q fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 9, 2017

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

NmareBfly posted:

Yes I noticed this. The houses are no longer the best place that I find loot. It's the big buildings now.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Party Plane Jones posted:

This is probably the most intense win we've had in a while. Completely lucked out here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCyb6YoxkgE

Nice job - I think I was inhaling sharply right along with you there. I saw you failed to remove your level 3 backpack. That's still a problem, huh.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Nice job - I think I was inhaling sharply right along with you there. I saw you failed to remove your level 3 backpack. That's still a problem, huh.

I had too much ammo and poo poo left taking up all the room. The extended mag of the AR sticks out higher than even the level 3 backpack though which is how I spotted the hay bale guy.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Whoever put in those dumpsters REALLY hates third person.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I think they really could benefit from seeding the new map with more vehicles. Or add bicycles or something. Seems like even the larger towns only have 1 or 2.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

:thunk:

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

CitizenKain posted:

I think they really could benefit from seeding the new map with more vehicles. Or add bicycles or something. Seems like even the larger towns only have 1 or 2.

This game absolutely needs bicycles, very slow, no noise. Would be so awesome.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I think I wouldnt be upset if the undergeared part of the game lasted longer, but the first guy to find an AR in a sea of pistols wins so the ARs have to be somewhat plentiful. Doesn't make sense to try to do that sorta thing in a more open map either.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Le0 posted:

This game absolutely needs bicycles, very slow, no noise. Would be so awesome.

Also, this, but with bell horn.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ILL Machina posted:

I think I wouldnt be upset if the undergeared part of the game lasted longer, but the first guy to find an AR in a sea of pistols wins so the ARs have to be somewhat plentiful. Doesn't make sense to try to do that sorta thing in a more open map either.

I wouldn't mind if the mid tier stuff lasted a bit longer. The weapons are just more interesting because they can't seemingly do everything.

Alternatively they could buff the vector and add a late game shotgun that doesn't suck so there's more variety.

Honestly I also think the m24 should be a world drop. Kar fits with the pump/ak/uzi tier of weapons and the m24 would fit wth the m416/S12k/vector tier.

Edit: I kinda feel like there should be a civilian/police/outdated military tier, contemporary military tier, and exotic military tier (crate).

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 10, 2017

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

CitizenKain posted:

I haven't had any problems finding a vehicle by just running down a road.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jarmak posted:

Alternatively they could buff the vector

I say this as a huge fan of the vector: no

I always take it along with me if I can upgrade it somewhat. That thing kills people so drat fast at mid to close range it doesn't need to be helped out at all.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Rex-Goliath posted:

I say this as a huge fan of the vector: no

I always take it along with me if I can upgrade it somewhat. That thing kills people so drat fast at mid to close range it doesn't need to be helped out at all.

I used to love the vector until i realized the ump did significantly more damage per shot and switched and never went back.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Jarmak posted:

and add a late game shotgun that doesn't suck so there's more variety.

Excuse me, but you'll find that all of the shotguns are lategame shotguns when the circle is small enough and in fact do not suck.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Seriously though what is the benefit of the Winchester? No attachments makes it hard as heck to use, even with decent iron sights.

New revolver is cool, even if handguns aren’t good.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Schiavona posted:

Seriously though what is the benefit of the Winchester? No attachments makes it hard as heck to use, even with decent iron sights.

I really hope they put some form of attachments on it, even if it's something like an old fashioned low power scope. Not having bullet loops (the preview image even has this) is dumb.

Plus the original silencer designed by Hiram Maxim was used on it, which is pretty cool.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

fknlo posted:

New map looks alright so far. Looks like they really improved their optimization with it. Have they added hold to ADS yet?

You can edit the .ini to add hold to ADS (and swaps the hipfire aim to single click). Don't remember how I did it but a quick google should provide the answer for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Schiavona posted:

New revolver is cool, even if handguns aren’t good.

probably for some sick nasty proshots on twitch

• Locked thread