Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Sourcing parts is a big deal, btw. Things WILL break, even on the most durable kits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm going to reitterate my previous comment about the Tamiya Midnight Pumpkin/Lunch Box etc, but add that we currently have AI goons either in or soon to be visiting Japan, and you can get them there for $70 for the kit, or $130 as RTR with radio gear.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I kinda need these by next weekend though and I am not myself in the US. Holding on those for the moment but I need to make a choice soon, or just buy some toy grade crap last minute.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

just buy some toy grade crap last minute.
This is a recipe for tears.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

I kinda need these by next weekend though and I am not myself in the US. Holding on those for the moment but I need to make a choice soon, or just buy some toy grade crap last minute.

I can just second the notion to make sure the kit you pick up has parts support, amain hobbies/tower hobbies is two large online retailers for this kind of stuff, so check if the RC you are considering has parts listed with them, if they are not, just avoid that model. Buying RCs with flakey part support is a surefire way to have a 200$ piece of fun sitting on the shelf because you are unable to get a 3$ piece of plastic.

I raced ofna 1:8 scale buggies many moons ago, and the last season was hopeless because parts dried up.

a traxxas, HPI or AE product is probably the safest bet.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Most of those brands are out of my budget though. Around 100 per car unless I decided to buy just one. Twins complicate things...

I've noticed buggies seem to be cheaper than monster truck styles.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I found a HPI monster truck model that I might be able to squeeze in, the Mini Recon HPI 1/18. It's an HPI so spares should be OK then I hope. 133 euros for a RTR package.

EDIT: Looking at UK sites and the "Maverick" brand seems popular there, anyone know of it over in the US?

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 15, 2017

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I found a HPI monster truck model that I might be able to squeeze in, the Mini Recon HPI 1/18. It's an HPI so spares should be OK then I hope. 133 euros for a RTR package.

EDIT: Looking at UK sites and the "Maverick" brand seems popular there, anyone know of it over in the US?

Most MAVERICK cars are part of the subsidiary of HPI Europe, in the US those are often called a "Redcat".

For the price I think that the ECX 2WD line are great price point cars. For ~$150 US you get a charger, battery, 1/10 truck with bearings that is not a complete turd. Parts are cheap and at least in the USA are easy to get. The car is easy to work on and fix. The stadium truck is easily the best "all around" kind of car. You will eventually want longer lasting batteries and faster charger but at least you get everything you need to start.

The budget ARRMA cars are good too, but a total ball ache to work on which is why I give the ECX car the nod for price point.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Well. My F104w is now a F104.

What it was:

What it is:

I was expecting more. I mean, beyond it looking 1000 times better. The handling is still not confidence inspiring. And braking is nerve wracking.

... I miss foam tires.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I'm living in the Rockies for the winter and I want to dip my toes back into RC. I bombed around dirt lots as a kid with a Tamiya S10 and I've got a Losi Mini T at my dad's somewhere which I'm thinking I should have him mail to me.

What's the smallest monster truck style vehicle that I can run outside all winter? Or should I give up and get a Kyosho Blizzard? Friday's forecast is 6+ inches of snow.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Rontalvos posted:

I'm living in the Rockies for the winter and I want to dip my toes back into RC. I bombed around dirt lots as a kid with a Tamiya S10 and I've got a Losi Mini T at my dad's somewhere which I'm thinking I should have him mail to me.

What's the smallest monster truck style vehicle that I can run outside all winter? Or should I give up and get a Kyosho Blizzard? Friday's forecast is 6+ inches of snow.

I have a Blizzard and I only drive it a handful of times a year and it is awesome. I live in Salt Lake so we get snow. You can look at my previous posts in this thread for photos. The thing is that the new Blizzard are kind of slow and boring. I have one that uses a 540 sized motor and I am running it on a 4 pole brushless motor. It is a monster and throws snow three feet in every direction.

If I was to buy an RC that was for cruising around in winter time specifically I would probably say to get a 4x4 brushless Stampede. All waterproof, tons of power and big enough tires that it will probably do a little bit of "floating" on the snow.

I haven't posted any good stuff for a while so have a look at a video we did for work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWITgW6T7WU Mostly just geeky shots showing off how cool RC cars are.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
That's a really cool video!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Got third in a two day event this weekend. The highest ranked Tamiya M05 Mini there, the top two were M07s (which are far better). Very pleased with the result, even though I had to replace the gearbox on it on the morning of the finals.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

You Am I posted:

Got third in a two day event this weekend. The highest ranked Tamiya M05 Mini there, the top two were M07s (which are far better). Very pleased with the result, even though I had to replace the gearbox on it on the morning of the finals.

:coolfish: Noice. I am getting the itch of thinking I want to race again. I was live streaming IFMAR over last week and with winter looming dropping $700 on a race setup seems like a good idea.

I ended up getting together with a few guys locally to head out on Saturday to bash on 1/5. Five of us total, Eight rigs, five guys and a good three or four hours of beating on the cars. It was really awesome. We are going to try getting together more next year after the winter subsides.

Before:

After!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I finally dove into racing. I've been doing the Tamiya Euro Truck thing at the local track.

It's an interesting class to run, you can't ~do~ anything to them, except lube, weight, and glue. Having so little to tune, is nice, as it means "if it works, it's most likely competitive." Sadly, the bodies are $60 something per set. ... and I already need a new one.

I"m also finishing up my VTA body. And I have a FWD USGT car in the works.

PYROxSYCO
May 14, 2015
Buying a Traxxas 1/10 4WD Stampede. First time user, what are some things to get squared away? Batteries? Chargers?

I also made a thread on Hobbies and DIY thread since I would have not guessed it was in here.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

PYROxSYCO posted:

Buying a Traxxas 1/10 4WD Stampede. First time user, what are some things to get squared away? Batteries? Chargers?

I also made a thread on Hobbies and DIY thread since I would have not guessed it was in here.

Check to see if it already comes with a battery pack and charger. You will want a second battery pack, though, so that you can run one while the other is charging.

Things will break. And when they do, you will need to be able to disassemble/reassemble the car. Unless someone here has a good suggestion, see if the place you are buying the truck from has a toolkit for sale.

I don't remember if the engine that comes with the Stampede is brushless or not. If it is not brushless, you may need some special oil/lubricant for it.

Eventually, you will need to change out the shock oil but that will probably be way down the road. Same with greasing the gears.

A useful thing when working on the truck is a stand with a top that rotates.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Slash bodies are... borderline disposable. I highly recomend picking up shoe goo, or e6000 and some fiberglass drywall tape. That will let you patch the body effectively.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008
Here's an example of a small stand, as mentioned. I wold also go ahead and get a set of hex drivers, or a 4-in-1 deal like this. You can get individual drivers that you don't have to interchange for a few bucks more. Personally I like the 4-in-1 because it takes up a lot less space.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Those of you into scale crawlers should check out the Big Squid 1.9 Shootout that we just completed. It was by far the most fun thing I've gotten to take part in since being involved in BSRC. It was a real fight, and all 6 trucks actually kicked a ton of rear end. Driving these back-to-back-to-back etc ad nauseum was really interesting as you could really feel the differences in design, even if they seem small.

https://www.bigsquidrc.com/1-9-scale-crawler-shootout

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 7, 2017

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nerobro posted:

I finally dove into racing. I've been doing the Tamiya Euro Truck thing at the local track.

It's an interesting class to run, you can't ~do~ anything to them, except lube, weight, and glue. Having so little to tune, is nice, as it means "if it works, it's most likely competitive." Sadly, the bodies are $60 something per set. ... and I already need a new one.
That class has blown up big time at my track. The tough thing is regulating it as you can see so many people want to throw hop up parts at them

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Those of you into scale crawlers should check out the Big Squid 1.9 Shootout that we just completed. It was by far the most fun thing I've gotten to take part in since being involved in BSRC. It was a real fight, and all 6 trucks actually kicked a ton of rear end. Driving these back-to-back-to-back etc ad nauseum was really interesting as you could really feel the differences in design, even if they seem small.

https://www.bigsquidrc.com/1-9-scale-crawler-shootout

Yo, this was good and something I was interested in a couple months ago. If I do decide to jump in, I'll probably get the Redcat.

Or maybe say "screw it" and get the Traxxas.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
My brother has the TRX4 and it's an incredibly capable truck right out of the box.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Is anything new in the 1/8 desert truck-ish/monster buggy world? I sold my Yeti XL a year or two ago and I'm sort of regretting it now.. It'd be real easy to just buy the kit again.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Hypnolobster posted:

Is anything new in the 1/8 desert truck-ish/monster buggy world? I sold my Yeti XL a year or two ago and I'm sort of regretting it now.. It'd be real easy to just buy the kit again.

You should consider the Losi Baja Rey. It’s bigger than a 1/10 yeti. Out of the box it’s nearly perfect. Better steering servo, aluminum horn and aluminum steering bell crank and that thing is money. Run it on 3S with the stock power system and you’ll never get bored. You know I’m Axial super fan #1 but the Baja Rey has been such a delight out of the box. It’s taken punishment from day one with no failures at all. Don’t believe the hype online about failed bearings on the diff. If it happens there are simple and easy upgrades. I’ve been using 3S since my first pack and I’ve been waiting for it to grenade so I can buy the Vanquish axle. I can’t seem to be that (un?)lucky though.

I have a clear body that I will be masking and painting this winter. It will be done in spirit of the Ivan Stewart classic livery.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

You Am I posted:

That class has blown up big time at my track. The tough thing is regulating it as you can see so many people want to throw hop up parts at them

The utter lack of "allowed modifications" makes it a lot simpler really. The only bits that are "hidden" on the chassis, are the diffs. Diff action is easily tested with the body on.

People just need to know you'll be draconian in the rules following. I don't believe it's been a problem at my local track. There's a spec battery, and that's really about it.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I brought out my FF03 to run USGT yesterday.

While I made a lot of progress, I was more or less a rolling roadblock. Start of the day, I was turning 17 second laps. ON average, that is. By the end of the day, my average was down around 13. (I was being courteous, pulling over and such, nobody was upset at me being on the track.)

... Fast cars are getting 9.5 second laps.

Lets say I have some work to do.

First, the car is overweight, by some 300 grams. That is something I can take care of. Glue to eliminate screws in most of the rear of the car, aluminum screws where their vital, should knock most of 100g off the car. A lightweight body will save another 40g. Removing the bumper, and bumper support is another 40-50, and going to a super shorty battery will do another 100-150g.

Then I need to start getting creative, but there ~is room~ to lose weight.

The cars gearing is also pretty screwed. I started at a 3.98:1 FDR. The motor is cool after the run, and definitely could be geared harder. The other cars all walk mine on the straight/sweeper.

---------------------------

While we're on the topic of racing. It's remarkable how few people get apexes right. Half my crashes/incidents in Euro Truck are due to (even the fast guys) taking a very geometric line, instead of the "fast line".

... well if I ever get good, I know where I'll find time on the fast guys.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
IT'S ALIVE!*

Not sure if I posted this in here or not. It's a Radio Shack 4x4 Off Roader. Circa 1985 just like me. This is the 49 MHz model. The 27 MHz was yellow. It quit working a hell of a long time ago but I kept it for whatever reason. I finally got around to getting an ESC and a battery for it around Christmas and just got a new soldering iron the other day so I could get some new leads on the motor. There's no suspension at all so it's a bouncy little bastard, but it put a big dumb smile on my face once I got it fired back up. I have absolutely no plans for it other than breaking it out every once in a while to go dick around with. It does have a pretty slick little gear selector under the gearbox that moves the main gear that the motor engages with back and forth. "F" is your regular dick-around gear, but if you slide it over to "S" it turns into a loving crazy crawler/granny gear. No idea what the actual reduction is, but it'll climb the poo poo out of stuff. Super happy to have this thing going again. Well, sorta.

* It was alive. I'm pretty sure I already smoked the motor. I don't think the 30+ year old Mabuchi cared much for the LiPo. Oh well. Excuse for a new motor, I guess... :)

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo, I had one just like that as a kid and my scx10 get like the final culmination of what I’d always wanted it to be.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd find the smallest / least powerful motor you can get your hands on to replace it with. I'm sure a 30+ year old Radio Shack drivetrain has no way to handle a modern hobby grade motor.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Amazon's got a 5 pack of the proper size for cheap so I'll probably pick those up. They're nothing special. The drive train is actually pretty stout and the way they did the 4wd is pretty neat. Next time I pull the body off, I'll get some pictures of the setup.

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

https://www.facebook.com/francois.lepage.965/videos/10213019493615890/ my snap on guy is taunting me. I would probably be better off just buying a drat xmaxx then trying to win one of the two they're giving away.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

IT'S ALIVE!*

Not sure if I posted this in here or not. It's a Radio Shack 4x4 Off Roader. Circa 1985 just like me. This is the 49 MHz model. The 27 MHz was yellow. It quit working a hell of a long time ago but I kept it for whatever reason. I finally got around to getting an ESC and a battery for it around Christmas and just got a new soldering iron the other day so I could get some new leads on the motor. There's no suspension at all so it's a bouncy little bastard, but it put a big dumb smile on my face once I got it fired back up. I have absolutely no plans for it other than breaking it out every once in a while to go dick around with. It does have a pretty slick little gear selector under the gearbox that moves the main gear that the motor engages with back and forth. "F" is your regular dick-around gear, but if you slide it over to "S" it turns into a loving crazy crawler/granny gear. No idea what the actual reduction is, but it'll climb the poo poo out of stuff. Super happy to have this thing going again. Well, sorta.

* It was alive. I'm pretty sure I already smoked the motor. I don't think the 30+ year old Mabuchi cared much for the LiPo. Oh well. Excuse for a new motor, I guess... :)

I had the Yellow one. it was my first toy as a child and it still ran on the 15 year old Nicad rechargable C-cells my dad got with it when I finally had to dispose of it due to the tyres perishing after sitting for many years.

Its probably responsible for my love of RC stuff (which is now drones).

cool!

PYROxSYCO
May 14, 2015

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

IT'S ALIVE!*

*Snip*

I seen a video where a guy put new internals into one of his. Runs like a champ now.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

This thread is slipping pretty far back so I will make an :effort: post into some of the current happenings in the hobby industry.

This year appears to the be year of the Trophy Truck. Axial modified their Yeti to offer the Yeti TT (Trophy Truck) utilizing 2.2/3.0 tires for more scale appearance. Losi then offered a "Me Too" option in the 1/10 Baja Rey which was a better executed truck for performance but still not as good in the scale looks department. I have the Baja Rey and it gets a lot of wheel time and I am really loving it! I upgraded the rear axle housing to the Vanquish Currie licensed unit. Not because it was needed but because it was wanted. I have new body panels that I will be painting to mimic the Ivan Stewart theme.

Losi then introduced a Super Baja Rey, a 1/6 scale version of their 1/10 scale counterpart. Boasting 60+MPH out of the box speed we all rejoiced and were excited. Traxxas then LeBron'd all over those dreams and hopes with their announcement out of nowhere with the Unlimited Desert Racer revealed in Germany's toy fair. Anticipated pricing at or below what the Super Baja Rey the truck is what Traxxas calls "Pro Scale", so actually scaled down to realism. It falls to what would be considered about 1/7.5 scale. It has a new Traxxas brushless speed controller capable of 6S and using what looks like their 1/8 brushless motor found in the XO-1 and others.

I will say Traxxas has a horrible track record dating back to their first speed controler the XL1 that every single speed controller of their own making has had safety recalls from catching on fire. I bet this will do the same.

The real interesting thing I see is that the Traxxas has a planetary gear reduction in the third member of the axle assembly. This is supposed to help reduce torque twist. There must be some weirdness in the center transmission for that to work since there is no reduction on the front gearbox.

I like the built in limiting straps. It is VERY scale and nicely done. I am actually not that interested in it though. I bet the Super Baja Rey has better driving characteristics.

For Large Scale, Kraken announced the VEKTA.5TT. Tip to tail this is just shy of 40 inches long. It is scheduled for release in May. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

and I also got to see my first 65cc engine in action this week. It was holyshit levels of loud. I am considering getting a 46cc for my VEKTA or the VEKTA.TT

so yeah. Trophy Trucks are the truck of the year it seems. I am not complaining one little bit.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I've been contemplating getting a fun scale crawler lately as i realized I don't have the room to run my Losi LST like I would want. Or maybe I should just get a slower stadium truck or something.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

uh oh.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
That tmaxx has seen some poo poo

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kuffs posted:

That tmaxx has seen some poo poo

It's gonna see a lot more too. New guy at work is a nitro nut, and now three of us picked up trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Thanks for bumping this. I just realized that I never posted pictures of my Savage Flux HP. Last summer, it took on a lamppost a top speed and lost. I got halfway through fixing the damage, got distracted and then lost interest. Luckily, I have a friend who is basically The Savage Whisperer. He tore it all completely down, replaced what needed replacing, upgraded where it made sense, and dialed in the suspension so it can turn and take bumps without getting all wonky. He also put together and painted the Bronco body for me. Happy to report that it runs better than new.