Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Chilichimp posted:

Eh, he's telling jokes all day about the news on that account. Dave Weigel is a pro follow because of the hilarious takes, don't make this bigger than it is.

Also it's good to support fellow goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

BardoTheConsumer posted:

He's right though. It isn't even the same thing. Every time an outlet retracts a statement as false that is good for journalism, because the truth is what matters and sometimes gets lost in the race to be first.

The fake news crowd is never, ever going to change their mind even if news becomes 100% accurate first time always because they are not making a judgement call, they are just listening to Hannity.

Edit: in other words, calling out people for posting too fast and making corrections assumes the other side is in good faith which, Lol, no.

I'm talking to the people white knighting him who are saying it's no big deal, its his personal account, it's a joke. You know, the same arguments made about the Franken boob grabbing picture. "Our side" doesn't get a pass for doing the lovely things that the right wing does, especially when we sit around sniffing our own farts about how much better we are than them all day long in threads like these.

I don't give a poo poo about Dave Weigel, or anyone on twitter.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

hanales posted:

I'm talking to the people white knighting him who are saying it's no big deal, its his personal account, it's a joke. You know, the same arguments made about the Franken boob grabbing picture. "Our side" doesn't get a pass for doing the lovely things that the right wing does, especially when we sit around sniffing our own farts about how much better we are than them all day long in threads like these.

Oh my god shut the gently caress up

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Making an error and correction isn't comparable to loving sexual asssult dude.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Oh my god shut the gently caress up

gently caress you. Who the hell do you think you are?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

hanales posted:

Why are people still talking about this after he apologized and issued a correction

That's what journalists do, it's normal

Any cares you have after that point are just you falling for Trump's bullshit

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Only person I follow on Twitter is dril because he's the only person who "gets" twitter

Also he's pretty loving funny

https://twitter.com/dril/status/930209246297448453

https://twitter.com/dril/status/912753223118749696

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Someone who knows that being mistaken about when a photo was taken and publicly owning it in a matter of minutes doesn't warrant condemnation and absolutely doesn't warrant comparisons to Al Franken.

Stop doing Trump's work for him.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Twitter has an issue with there being no real distinction between personal and professional accounts, something further muddied by the verification system that creates a privileged class of users. If you just want to state your opinion as a random opinion-haver then do it with an anonymous account, otherwise you're going to have to deal with the consequences of having your account tied to your professional role based on your name and/or all the other content you've posted.

Lots of people are really bad about making a bunch of posts relating specifically to their profession and then posting some silly comment that they want to be interpreted as completely unrelated.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 10, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I was making this exact loving point this morning in this thread and got poo poo about it. We can do better than sharing fake news is all I am saying.

Blind Rasputin posted:

This thread sure did for 10 pages in usual standard goon fashion until the actual video was released.

The Koi Pond thing was an actual story run by a loving newsroom.

The Pensacola Tweet was just some dumb thing Dave "twitter superstar" Weigel did in his personal time, on his personal account.

This is a false equivalence.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

enraged_camel posted:

Your sweet, precious drama and it’s all home brewed.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

hanales posted:

You just conflated a bad twitter take with sexual assault.

You're clearing on the right side of this and shouldn't cool the gently caress off at all.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Someone who knows that being mistaken about when a photo was taken and publicly owning it in a matter of minutes doesn't warrant condemnation

That's just your personal opinion.

The journalism profession is under heavy fire, and the best way for journalists to defend the Fourth Estate is to follow journalistic standards of integrity and professionalism, the latter of which demands that the journalist verifies things before publishing them.

These standards are not new by the way. They have existed for a long time. And the journalist in question works for a top-notch news outlet that is known for, among other things, historically important reporting of Watergate back in the day. In this regard, the way this guy casually shared fake news on his main account (which he has inexplicably tied to his employer) is loving shameful and absolutely deserves condemnation.

Yes, the alt-right needs no excuses to poo poo on the mainstream media. But when you see a house on fire you don't casually throw firewood into it and say "well, it was going to burn down anyway".

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

hanales posted:

People being able to think holistically and assess actions in a broader context is how adults work, buddy.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

hanales posted:

He's not getting a pass for doing the same thing because he didn't do the same thing. Once you realise that, you'll understand why people are reacting poorly.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Why are people still talking about this after he apologized and issued a correction

That's what journalists do, it's normal

Any cares you have after that point are just you falling for Trump's bullshit

Apologizing is one of the worst things you can do. I don't know why but it makes people even more bloodthirsty.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dmitri-9 posted:

Apologizing is one of the worst things you can do. I don't know why but it makes people even more bloodthirsty.

Anyone who reacts like that is feral.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

The journalism profession is under heavy fire, and the best way for journalists to defend the Fourth Estate is to follow journalistic standards of integrity and professionalism, the latter of which demands that the journalist verifies things before publishing them.

These standards are not new by the way. They have existed for a long time. And the journalist in question works for a top-notch news outlet that is known for, among other things, historically important reporting of Watergate back in the day. In this regard, the way this guy casually shared fake news on his main account (which he has inexplicably tied to his employer) is loving shameful and absolutely deserves condemnation.

Yes, the alt-right needs no excuses to poo poo on the mainstream media. But when you see a house on fire you don't casually throw firewood into it and say "well, it was going to burn down anyway".

It was a snark tweet that got corrected in 20 minutes. Please find something real to point all of this Care at.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Dave Wiegel has single-handily destroyed ethical journalism and cemented Trump's reign for decades to come.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

Only person I follow on Twitter is dril because he's the only person who "gets" twitter

Also he's pretty loving funny

https://twitter.com/dril/status/930209246297448453

https://twitter.com/dril/status/912753223118749696

Uh, Metal WIthout Context should also be on your follow list. :colbert:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The forced labor camps will be called Weigelvilles

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Both sides are exactly the same, you see.

Also dril is good people.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

enraged_camel posted:

Oh jesus you cannot be serious. The guy screwed up, he realized it, he put it right. Christ alive that's the end of the loving matter.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I mean, I think we can all agree Weigel should have checked for a Verrit authentication code on that picture before tweeting it. Like, guys, why even *have* Verrit if we're not gonna *use* Verrit???

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Furnaceface posted:

Uh, Metal WIthout Context should also be on your follow list. :colbert:

@wresnocontext is legit too. I guess no context accounts are good is the point.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I don't even know who is arguing or who is being facetious anymore.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

If your only news source was birdsrightsactivist you’d probably still be just fine.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

hanales posted:

Raw story published it as an article today.

Hilarious joke. And what’s his professional twitter handle? Because he tweets news all day from that account. Which ones are the hilarious jokes? Maybe he should label them.

loving who gives a poo poo, Trump is still a disgusting pathetic attention whore whether Weigel hosed up or not and I don't really care if this story did anything to anyone. I just do not give a loving poo poo. Trump is literally setting fire to this country so he can be king of the ashes and Dave Weigel is still an excellent, incisively funny reporter. gently caress Donald Trump and gently caress anyone who clutches their pearls over this.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

alpha_destroy posted:

@wresnocontext is legit too. I guess no context accounts are good is the point.

@belkbowl is the only follow anyone needs

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I was going to be mad a that twitter guy for handing Trumpists a million years of fake news comments, but then I realized that they are going to do that anyway and they don't care about retractions/apologies/etc.

Therefore he should re-post the tweet, but with a picture of the venue empty

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Sorry, this is complete bullshit. It wasn't "journalism," it was a personal tweet. Beyond that, good journalism allows for making mistakes and correcting them. A bad journalist is one that never admits a mistake or apologizes.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Joementum needs to resign

nikki ashton
Jun 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Guys remember, j-kush spent a billion dollars on an Manhattan building just before the property market money balled in 2006.

The very best people

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Jesus Christ I'm opposed to the death penalty but I think they should make an exception for officer Brailsford after seeing that video. The man's obviously a menace to the public.

When I watched the video, I thought the shooter was the one talking to the suspect, but that's actually his superior officer standing behind him.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...ting/864693001/

quote:

The officer in charge during a police situation at a Mesa hotel last year testified Tuesday that he, too, would have shot the unarmed suspect, Daniel Shaver of Texas, when the man did not obey orders to put his hands up.

Sgt. Charles Langley, who retired from the Mesa Police Department four months after the Jan. 18, 2016, shooting, testified in the murder trial of former Officer Philip “Mitch” Brailsford.

Langley told the 11-member jury Tuesday that he would have shot Shaver if Brailsford wasn’t in his line of fire.

“I thought we were going to get shot,” Langley said. “I thought I was going to get shot.”

Langley said because Shaver put his hand down twice and once behind his back, he thought Shaver may have been reaching for a gun.

In the video, Shaver appeared confused by Langley's commands on what to do with his hands.

At one point in the video, Shaver puts his hands down and behind his back. Langley, who was in charge and the only one yelling out commands, quickly orders him to put them back in the air or else he would be shot, the video shows.

Brailsford fired his AR-15 rifle when Shaver raised his right hand after he had crawled on his hands and knees, the video shows.

Langley testified that he didn't know why Shaver seemed confused by his commands, especially when he had given similar commands to Monique Portillo, a woman Shaver met that night and had been in the room with him.

“That definitely raised my attention level. My flags just went up," Langley said of the time Shaver put his hands behind his back. "Was he checking for a weapon? Was he testing us? There was no reason for him to make that movement.”

But of course he's going to sell it that way. Langley was the one giving the confusing and aggressive instructions. If he doesn't say that he would have shot Shaver as well if he could - never mind that the other officers did not fire - it calls into question his handling of the situation in the first place. In my opinion, Langley is as responsible - if not more - for what happened to Shaver, but he didn't pull the trigger and has already retired and so won't see any consequences.

Edit: David Brooks sucks. Zero capability for self-reflection, and yet bemoaning the lack of intellectualism on the right? :fuckoff:

PhilippAchtel fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 10, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

PhilippAchtel posted:

When I watched the video, I thought the shooter was the one talking to the suspect, but that's actually his superior officer standing behind him.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...ting/864693001/

But of course he's going to sell it that way. Langley was the one giving the confusing and aggressive instructions. If he doesn't say that he would have shot Shaver as well if he could - never mind that the other officers did not fire - it calls into question his handling of the situation in the first place. In my opinion, Langley is as responsible - if not more - for what happened to Shaver, but he didn't pull the trigger and has already retired and so won't see any consequences.

Edit: David Brooks sucks. Zero capability for self-reflection, and yet bemoaning the lack of intellectualism on the right? :fuckoff:

If a dude is on his god drat knees and his hands are up, claiming "he could have had a gun" is loving nonsense. If you think he's hiding a gun on his person go find it. Use of force doctrine in US police departments is completely hosed, and I honestly can't think of a better answer for it then disarming the vast majority of them.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Dmitri-9 posted:

"That apology wasn't sincere/wasn't enough" is the easiest thing in the world to say and has no real drawbacks in most public circles. In fact, it's a great setup for if you really want to tear into that exposed belly now that they've admitted fault.

This is good sometimes, since it means that people genuinely hurt by lies or offensive statements face little real pressure to forgive and forget when a bad actor gives an obvious eye-rolling apology for something genuinely harmful. Other times it either allows people to play martyr when they've suffered no real harm, and creates a perverse incentive where if you do gently caress up you're probably safest to stick to your guns about it than you are to try to apologize. I dunno that there's really a fix that doesn't just incentivize another kind of rear end in a top hat though.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Look at us arguing over this reporter's Twitter photo. I'm going to take a page from the right and just enjoy Trump's empty rally because it SHOULD be true.

This is the perfect example of why fake news propaganda works so much better for conservatives than liberals.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Sorry, this is complete bullshit. It wasn't "journalism," it was a personal tweet.

Hmm, so that's his personal account? Interesting. I browsed through his tweets and he has definitely blurred the line between work and personal life on that account. The description states he "covers politics at @washingtonpost", he comments regularly on politics and I don't see any disclaimers about his tweets being his own opinions and not that of his employer's. Again, goes back to the whole "lack of professionalism" thing. Companies I've worked for in the past have fired people for less.

But you know what? It's okay. Hopefully he has learned his lesson.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Sublimer posted:

Look at us arguing over this reporter's Twitter photo. I'm going to take a page from the right and just enjoy Trump's empty rally because it SHOULD be true.

This is the perfect example of why fake news propaganda works so much better for conservatives than liberals.

Probably because we don't keep believing it after it's been retracted, whereas conservatives cling even more stubbornly to their original wrong opinion because LOL U TRIGGERED LIBS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

enraged_camel posted:

Who the gently caress do you think you are posting your filthy opinions here

*huffs away with arms crossed*

• Locked thread