Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

:wow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I don't have the most refined palate in the world but I had brussels sprouts as a kid, and I've had them as an adult, in various styles, by different people. They have always tasted like absolute loving poison and I'd have to be seriously seriously hungry or even legitimately starving before I'd eat them again.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mister Adequate posted:

I don't have the most refined palate in the world but I had brussels sprouts as a kid, and I've had them as an adult, in various styles, by different people. They have always tasted like absolute loving poison and I'd have to be seriously seriously hungry or even legitimately starving before I'd eat them again.

They seriously make me nauseous just smelling then cook.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Mister Adequate posted:

Lol

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Mister Adequate posted:

Have you tried them coated with Nacho cheese Doritos powder and baked in a light Mountain Dew vinaigrette because it is loving insane.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Your Computer posted:

except cilantro, that fucker still tastes like soap and I refuse to believe it's not genetic

It's 100% genetic

quote:

These results confirm that there is a genetic component to cilantro taste perception and suggest that cilantro dislike may stem from genetic variants in
olfactory receptors. We propose that one of a cluster of olfactory receptor genes, perhaps OR6A2, may be the olfactory receptor that contributes to the
detection of a soapy smell from cilantro in European populations

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I have never eaten Brussels sprouts or even seen them in real life outside of a grocery store. I have no idea what they taste or smell like. That's my brussels sprouts story for this thread, the PYF Brussels Sprouts Stories thread. Thanks for reading.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Wasn't there a thing that came out recently that said that the same gene controlled how some other food tasted, and if you liked cilantro, you hated this other food and vice versa? Or am I misremembering?

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

This is my poo poo right here.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:randstare:

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Why is 1950s america being represented?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Jimmybob posted:

Why is 1950s america being represented?

No time to find the right flag, gotta make the meme!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

:randstare:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

:perfect:

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Jesus fuggin xmas

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

It turns out most cyberpunk novels were really far-fetched for all the wrong reasons.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Mister Adequate posted:

Brussels sprouts can be my favorite or least favorite food, depending on how they are cooked. The problem with Brussels sprouts is that if you cook them wrong/overcook them they taste like farts, if done right they are incredible. Put them on a super hot grill for like 15 seconds, just to get a little char, then finish them in a pan in butter or bacon fat, with some diced apple, chunks of bacon, and balsamic vinegar ( obviously salt and pepper to taste), and only cook them enough that they're just starting to soften up and still have a bit of a bite to them. Just try to hate them cooked properly. You can't. They're amazing.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

om nom nom posted:

Brussels sprouts can be my favorite or least favorite food, depending on how they are cooked. The problem with Brussels sprouts is that if you cook them wrong/overcook them they taste like farts, if done right they are incredible. Put them on a super hot grill for like 15 seconds, just to get a little char, then finish them in a pan in butter or bacon fat, with some diced apple, chunks of bacon, and balsamic vinegar ( obviously salt and pepper to taste), and only cook them enough that they're just starting to soften up and still have a bit of a bite to them. Just try to hate them cooked properly. You can't. They're amazing.

They also give your farts a lil "je ne sais quoi" which is always pleasant.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
"Thrussy," pronounced "throo-see," is slang meaning "throat pussy." The term is typically used when a person's mouth is regarded similarly to a vagina, and used as such for sexual pleasure, often roughly.

Jamesman has a new favorite as of 08:51 on Dec 10, 2017

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just wake me up when it's September.

T: Regards, nimim. "walrus-waiter"

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

om nom nom posted:

I suppose they've got potential but honestly for some of us it's just opening up old traumas. AFAIK being a foodie wasn't a thing in the 80's and "boil everything to death" was still the norm in our household. Overcooking Brussels sprouts creates organosulfur compounds, some of which which belong in the dangerous chemistry thread for their foul taste and odor. I've avoided Brussels Sprouts like the plague since being forced to eat those bitter lumps of greenery as a child, until I had to do some work on an actual Brussels sprouts farm and the bastards snuck some into my vehicle when I wasn't looking as a "thank you". They weren't as bad as I remember and I'd bet that if cooked like you say I think they'd be inoffensive to salad eaters, hell, I'm gonna print that out sometime and cook them for my parents just like that while screaming at them "THIS IS HOW YOU loving DO IT YOU CUNTS" in between slaps.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

If you don't like brussels sprouts you either have idiot tongue or idiot cooking. there are no bad cruciferous vegetables

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://youtu.be/Alt4MCkk-F0

Around the 6m30s mark

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Okay, so what's happening to the "Okay" sign this week?

Last I heard it was nazis trying to make it a white power sign.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

That's not the ok sign

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Explains why she punched him.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Captain Splendid posted:

I think a lot of it's genetic, some people are more sensitive to a chemical in them that makes them taste like garbage.

Some of it, outside of how our palates develop with age, is probably also how parents attempt to force the interaction with a recalcitrant child and end up basically traumatizing them out of ever wanting to try an unknown food ever again. My friend is very much in that group. If he knows chicken or turkey has been cooked into something, he 100% refuses to touch it. I don't remember what he told me his grandmother did to him as a child but it wasn't good and shaped the way he views those two proteins for decades of his life.

I think my parents did it one of the best ways you can. Apparently when I was young, they'd serve themselves vegetables (like brussel sprouts) and wouldn't even offer it to me. I'd get inquisitive, ask why I didn't get any, and they'd just say "Oh you won't like this. It's for grown ups." Which immediately made me want to try them more than anything else on the table. I love brussel sprouts and basically every other vegetable.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
Those 50's/60's/70's cookbooks that were chock full of cream of whatever soup casseroles that ruined a lot of foods for lots of kids. I thought I hated broccoli, brussel sprouts and asparagus for the longest time. One lingering effect I can't break is being super sensitive to stuff with vinegar in it. Mostly pickles. Put a pickle on something you may as well give me a giant pickle, that's all I can taste... I don't dislike pickles though.

Thank you and good night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

om nom nom posted:

:same: