Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
So Moore is Frank Burns if Frank Burns diddled kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

All I really know about Alabama is this

https://youtu.be/c8hwZ3iNcHc

Accurate y/n?

Hes missing Alabama or Auburn gear.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Accurate y/n?

no way, thats dudes way too healthy to be an Alabama Man

Alabama is more like "My 600lb Life"

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Accurate y/n?

- has a collar
- wearing long pants
- only beat his wife twice in 30 seconds

2/10

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've been through a lot of the American south, and Alabama is the only state where the level of Jim Crowe-era racism is still palpable. I'm talking whites and blacks existing in isolation from one another; a complete lack of racial or ethnic integration. Just go to the University of Alabama and try to find a non-white person who isn't on the football team. Even federal offices down there have an uneasy coexistence, despite being more diverse than the rest of the workforce. It's a shame, because Birmingham itself is a lovely city with a thriving art, music, and food scene, and Huntsville put people on the loving moon.

psydude fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 10, 2017

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

psydude posted:

I've been through a lot of the American south, and Alabama is the only state where the level of Jim Crowe-era racism is still palpable. I'm talking whites and blacks existing in isolation from one another, a complete lack of racial or ethnic integration. Just go to the University of Alabama and try to find a non-white person who isn't on the football team. Even federal offices down there have an uneasy coexistence, despite being more diverse than the rest of the workforce.

Nah, Alabama has Huntsville to make up for the rest of it.

Mississippi, now that's the one that still lives like its 1937.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BigDave posted:

Nah, Alabama has Huntsville to make up for the rest of it.

Mississippi, now hat's the one that still lives like its 1937.

I think Mississippi's problems are more socioeconomic at this point. It's honestly more akin to a developing or post-industrial African or South American country than a US state. Put another way, Mississippi's too poor and disorganized to succeed at the same kind of racism that all-red Alabama excels at.

e: In re-reading that, it sounds really harsh, but take a drive along the gulf-coast of Mississippi south of Hattiesburg and tell me that I'm wrong.

psydude fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 10, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

not caring here posted:

- has a collar
- wearing long pants
- only beat his wife twice in 30 seconds

2/10

-Shirt has sleeves

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

boop the snoot posted:

that doesn't narrow the military down very much

Touche,l.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BTW, if poo poo like Moore pisses you off, I suggest donating to PACs like Flippable, which concentrate on state and local races. Dollars spent at this level are much more effective at shaping policy nationwide, and PACs supporting Democratic state-level races have had an incredible track record this year.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

psydude posted:

e: In re-reading that, it sounds really harsh, but take a drive along the gulf-coast of Mississippi south of Hattiesburg and tell me that I'm wrong.

You're not. https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/10/mississippi-burned-obamacare-112181

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

psydude posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ25-U3jNWM

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
In not so uplifting news...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Soulex posted:

No, most of us understand. If it weren’t for my adderall, I’d whirlwind like I did a few months ago. Spiral into depression, just want to do nothing and smoke pot.

Marijuana is great that it legit helps. It also sucks because it’s a lazy thing. gently caress the sativa/indica poo poo, any inebriant is gonna make you different and/or lazy without motivation. I force myself to do things instead of procrastinate.

Man I dispute the lazy thing. I used to work like crazy when stoned. Depends on the gig I guess.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

In not so uplifting news...

"Yet Nevada also plans to inject Dozier with a third drug, cisatracurium, to paralyze his muscles — a step medical experts say makes the procedure riskier."

Lol getting paralytics and suffocating to death, while fully aware (which is what will happen if/when they botch the valium/fentanyl dose), is tantamount to torture. I've seen it happen before where a guy was super tolerant to benzos and opioids and woke up while paralyzed and it sure looked like suffering.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

psydude posted:

BTW, if poo poo like Moore pisses you off, I suggest donating to PACs like Flippable, which concentrate on state and local races. Dollars spent at this level are much more effective at shaping policy nationwide, and PACs supporting Democratic state-level races have had an incredible track record this year.

Oh cool, thanks! I already sent some monies to doug jones, but this is good to know for the future.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dong Quixote posted:

Lol getting paralytics and suffocating to death, while fully aware (which is what will happen if/when they botch the valium/fentanyl dose), is tantamount to torture. I've seen it happen before where a guy was super tolerant to benzos and opioids and woke up while paralyzed and it sure looked like suffering.

All they have to do is drop the paralytic too.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Christ they bring back the firing squad you're gonna have a lineup of MAGA chuds volunteering with their tactical sks

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
3 or 4 pages OBE

joat mon fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 10, 2017

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

psydude posted:

I've been through a lot of the American south, and Alabama is the only state where the level of Jim Crowe-era racism is still palpable. I'm talking whites and blacks existing in isolation from one another; a complete lack of racial or ethnic integration. Just go to the University of Alabama and try to find a non-white person who isn't on the football team. Even federal offices down there have an uneasy coexistence, despite being more diverse than the rest of the workforce. It's a shame, because Birmingham itself is a lovely city with a thriving art, music, and food scene, and Huntsville put people on the loving moon.

Ive lived in the south and you are dead wrong. It’s in Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, and Louisiana.

You may have passed through, but I lived that poo poo. My graduating class was less than 20 at a K-12 school. I’m about as backwoods as you can get.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I think they classified me under marijuana dependency. They never seem to update the amount I tell them I smoke either. "So you still smoke two ounces of marijuana a month?" No, for the third time this year, it's 2-3 grams a week of hash. The only thing the VA gives me is zoloft.

Why the hell would you EVER tell the VA you smoke weeds?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Man I dispute the lazy thing. I used to work like crazy when stoned. Depends on the gig I guess.

Its amount I think. Some times I get high and energetic based on the terpenes. The problem with indica and sativa classifications is it’s really just how the plant is shaped as it is growing and not the bud itself. That’s THC, terpene, CBD, CBN, etc. Certain terpenes make us react a certain way. It’s weird, but it’s like aromatherapy.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

In not so uplifting news...[/url]

If people are so worried about botching execution why not bring back the guillotine? It seems like these days with space aged metallurgy and physics you'd be able to develop something to lop off an elephants head from it's shoulders 100% of the time let alone a human.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Godholio posted:

Why the hell would you EVER tell the VA you smoke weeds?

I did, for the purpose of making them pay for it. I’ll let you know how that works out for me.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Soulex posted:

Ive lived in the south and you are dead wrong. It’s in Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, and Louisiana.

You may have passed through, but I lived that poo poo. My graduating class was less than 20 at a K-12 school. I’m about as backwoods as you can get.

Yeah? But none of those states have fully committed to it as much as Alabama.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I grew up as a dirty Californian, but Alabama was the first place I was stationed and I spent about 2 years there. It's an experience I have really been able to sum up in two anecdotes of how I was treated by waitstaff at two separate chain restaurants:

-Waitress stopped paying attention in the middle of me ordering so she could walk towards a TV to confirm the college football score
-Waiter, unprompted, expressed his disgust to me that Brokeback Mountain had recently won oscars. Like, I didn't say anything whatsoever about movies or gays or anything, it was just such an obviously understood fact that two complete strangers in a professional interaction should bond over a mutual disdain for the celebration of fags. wat.

It was also my first real experience with humidity.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The south sucks, except for City of Atlanta and from what I've heard Savannah. That's my hot take.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

KildarX posted:

If people are so worried about botching execution why not bring back the guillotine? It seems like these days with space aged metallurgy and physics you'd be able to develop something to lop off an elephants head from it's shoulders 100% of the time let alone a human.

I expect the separation of head from body will be an 8th Amendment problem.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

joat mon posted:

Sure it's not cruel, but it's definitely unusual

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

KildarX posted:

The south sucks, except for City of Atlanta and from what I've heard Savannah. That's my hot take.

Charlotte's pretty cool, too

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

joat mon posted:

It's almost like all executions are cruel or unusual.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Almost.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I keep getting told that Huntsville is like a blend of rocket scientists and corn bread, or at least what could reasonably pass as a tech sector in the land of the toothless.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

I keep getting told that Huntsville is like a blend of rocket scientists and corn bread, or at least what could reasonably pass as a tech sector in the land of the toothless.

Eh. Kind of. It's still very Alabama, despite the large number of out of state PhDs and engineers residing there.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

KildarX posted:

You want simple and easy, just use a gun. The article even mentions exactly that. The only reason other methods are used is to create a sense of distance between the condemned and the executioner, to allow the state and the prison officials and everyone involved in the whole grisly process that they're not killing a human being.

I'm not even 100% opposed to capital punishment. Keep it at the federal level for treason, espionage, and terrorism, ban it everywhere else.

And even then for terrorism just use the spectre of it as an investigatory tool as appropriate. You want to avoid making martyrs.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

KildarX posted:

Savannah and Atlanta for Georgia, Charlotte for SC, the triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) and Asheville for North Carolina

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Savannah and Atlanta for Georgia, Charlotte for SC, the triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) and Asheville for North Carolina

Charlotte is in NC too, we in SC are thoroughly irredemable.

Charleston is... ok, if you don't scratch too deep below the surface and are white

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Didn’t we have a discussion about this last month?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

KildarX posted:

Charleston is Savannah round 2. It's nice for a limited period and then you leave and go back to smart english, food that isn't fried, drinks without masses of sugar and sophistication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

MA-Horus posted:

Christ they bring back the firing squad you're gonna have a lineup of MAGA chuds volunteering with their tactical sks

I'll volunteer then knife the redhats when their focused on what's in front of them. A 4:1 k/d is pretty good for a navy fool like me

• Locked thread