Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
I guess it's an AGC with it being Bok, but it's nonetheless quite a slippery slope argument that I did not think even he would make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Pants Donkey posted:

I haven't seen this at all in recent years. Like, I'm sure it was a thing at one point, but as far as I've seen in comics/comedy it's the husband complaining about his day at work only to get death stared by his wife who looks like she's caring for a bear instead of a kid.

As I said, caring for a baby is work and it's also important. But, unless you got into a dream job early in life, a job is also still work and presumably you're not an rear end in a top hat and also pulling your weight with the kid when you're home.

Well I did say these Zelda domestic-life cartoons are all feminism 101. Media representations of childcare are complicated, and tend to involve a lot of angel-of-the-house poo poo where it's the best, most-important job you could do to raise a child if you're a woman, but not for a man (insert a million suffragette cartoons of sad men with crying babies.) Modern versions have turned towards making the man into a total dufus who just can't handle soccer practice and diaper changes, but that still subtly enforces the idea that childcare isn't man's work so why bother asking?

And the real-world effects of that are that childcare and domestic labor are undervalued compared to other types of work, and coincidentally still fall hardest on the shoulders of women. In the average household of two working parents, mom is still coming home to a second shift of domestic chores. Households that claim they split stuff evenly are really doing 60/30 division, and again with both parents working it's always the guy who has the harder job or makes or money or whatever other excuse is necessary to explain why he does less. And this is not the case with gay couples of either gender who tend to divide household work evenly if they're both working the same hours.

So while it's great that media is starting to be more critical of the idea that childcare is easy compared to paid work, 1. some of it is deceptively still supporting the idea that it's women's work, and 2. it hasn't trickled out into real world change about the value of and more equal division of domestic labor between the genders.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Avirosb posted:

Cthulhu isn't evil, he's just misunderstood :colbert:

Cthulhu isn't so much evil as a member of a mind bogglingly longer lived race who developed different morals due to totally different lifespans

Can't really blame something that lives for millions of human generations for treating humans with as much regard as we treat ants

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Avirosb posted:

Cthulhu isn't evil, he's just misunderstood :colbert:

I'm gonna blame that on the fact that even trying to understand Cthulhu drives one toward culty madness.

This is different than the current alt-right. It has to be.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

If someone told me that Bannon handled Eldritch artifacts on a regular basis I would believe it because the withering effects shows.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

"If I say that my somewhat extravagant imagination yielded simultaneous pictures of an racist, a mysogynist, and a homophobic caricature, I shall not be unfaithful to the spirit of the thing."

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

"There was a bursting as of an exploding bladder, a slushy nastiness as of a cloven sunfish, a stench as of a thousand opened graves. Followed by a flushing sound as the president exited the Whitehouse bathroom"

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Angepain posted:

I'm going to save all the curious pedants out there a few seconds googling: chameleons do in fact have literal backbones. As for metaphorical backbones I haven't found any literature on the subject.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

More chameleon facts: They don't actually change color to match their environment! That's a myth, they actually change color depending on their mood. Also, the reason they're able to change color at all is because they have a layer of crystals under their skin.

Chameleons are neat.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

That'll make a nice Christmas Seasons Greetings card for Ben.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Who cares if we piss them off: they were pissed already. What do you mean 'different solution'?"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's worrying to me that even as a joke someone would think that mace would help in a situation with that kind of differential in social power.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Odd how he's perfectly fine with other "unelected" appointments, like say for example, a supreme court justice.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Holy poo poo that 9

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's worrying to me that even as a joke someone would think that mace would help in a situation with that kind of differential in social power.

Maybe that's why the pages look so worried. They know congress thinks a firm no and physical response to unwelcome sexual advance is all it takes, so anyone who fails to do that must have been totally consenting.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The true threat to freedom in America: civil rights commissions.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

there wolf posted:

Maybe that's why the pages look so worried. They know congress thinks a firm no and physical response to unwelcome sexual advance is all it takes, so anyone who fails to do that must have been totally consenting.
Except one of them is beckoning to the delivery guy to hand over the mace faster.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Why are people talking about cakes again? Another rear end in a top hat baker jump on the wingnut welfare train?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SeANMcBAY posted:

Why are people talking about cakes again? Another rear end in a top hat baker jump on the wingnut welfare train?
Yeah, except this time he's claiming it's because his cake is artistic expression and he can't be made to make art that he disagrees with. Specifically custom cakes; he'd have been ok with them buying a pre-made cake, which I guess is not art.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

SCOTUS is getting ready to hear the case.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Sandpuppy posted:

The guy in the red, what did we name him? He's a reliably identifiable trope. Like a combination of dad joke, cool'n'calm, and relatable everyman. Always shows up where he's not wanted.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

War Wizard posted:

The guy in the red, what did we name him? He's a reliably identifiable trope. Like a combination of dad joke, cool'n'calm, and relatable everyman. Always shows up where he's not wanted.

Gerald, I believe.

Also that is some prime DASGDC, right there.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Chip Bok posted:

Brian Ross reported on ABC that Trump ordered Flynn to contact Russians before the election.

Apparently Wall Street investors believe what the see on on TV and the Dow plunged 350 points.

But ABC says Ross got it wrong and suspended him for four weeks.

Then within a week CNN one upped Ross.

Chip Bok posted:

It was tough to prove that the gunshot ricochet that killed Kate Steinle was intentional. But the prosecutor went for a murder one charge and came away with nothing.

So Ines Garcia Zarate is unlikely to spend any time in a state prison according to the San Jose Mercury News. But he’s not out of the woods entirely. He now faces federal charges.

Zarate was deported five times before Kate’s killing and was wanted for a sixth deportation on drug-related felonies, according to CNN.

Sean Hannity says San Francisco’s Sanctuary policies killed Kate Steinle.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

It scans, it fits the rhyme scheme of the original, and some of the line replacements are actually clever. What's this doing in this thread?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

There is balm in Gilead :allears:

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Jerusalem posted:

There is balm in Gilead :allears:

Oh god that felt good just to read a funny comic.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Katt posted:

*blows off dust*

I knew this one would come in handy one day.

I straight up saw a "Cthulhu 2016 / Why Settle For The Lesser Evil" bumper sticker about a month back.

You'd think they would have had the loving sense of shame to get rid of that at some point in the first year.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I straight up saw a "Cthulhu 2016 / Why Settle For The Lesser Evil" bumper sticker about a month back.

You'd think they would have had the loving sense of shame to get rid of that at some point in the first year.

They're really proud to not have "President Shillary"

Honestly pretty much every "I hate both parties" "Both candidates suck" are either dems who don't vote (and are assholes anyway) or republicans that are gonna vote for what they say they just hate.

I swear we need to have open and public voting records for some of these fucks.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

wait what

delonas... a good cartoon?????

edit: I just noticed the bin with America First in it. I guess this is just a case of "right opinion, wrong reasons"

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SirSamVimes posted:

wait what

edit: I just noticed the bin with America First in it. I guess this is just a case of "right opinion, wrong reasons"
this is one of the best Delonases I've ever seen and it's still poo poo

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Technowolf posted:

SCOTUS is getting ready to hear the case.

No, arguments have already begun. The highlight, if you can call it that, so far is Justice Gorsuch's deep concern that requiring employers to provide anti-discrimination training to their employees violates their free speech rights. No really.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

SirSamVimes posted:

wait what

The comic is based off a joke article from a parody site,

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2017/12/palestinians-recognize-texas-part-mexico/

Whether the dumbass realized it was a joke or not is hard to say.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Brainamp posted:

The comic is based off a joke article from a parody site,

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2017/12/palestinians-recognize-texas-part-mexico/

Whether the dumbass realized it was a joke or not is hard to say.

Delonas every once in a great while shows a decent sense of humor, which makes the bulk of his revolting cartoons all the worse for knowing he's capable of better.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

we get it, stantis, both sides are bad and discourse is gone.

we get it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is this some kind of idiotic liberals versus Christmas thing?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sandpuppy posted:

dont worry ladies you're too old for him

...maybe pedo politicians is the true way to stop sexual harassment of secretaries and aides

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Neodoomium posted:

we get it, stantis, both sides are bad and discourse is gone.

we get it.

Both sides are equally bad, but the Left side is more equally bad than the right.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

corn in the bible posted:

dont worry ladies you're too old for him

...maybe pedo politicians is the true way to stop sexual harassment of secretaries and aides

The problem with all of them being 60-80 year old shits is that the aides are still basically their grand children's age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What's the minimum age to be a congressional page? Can you be a fifteen year old go-getter and do it?

• Locked thread