Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Maybe it'll replace Your Name as the most successful anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

an actual dog posted:

watch it make a billion dollars lol

i wont watch it do that because literally no anime-based western film has ever been financially successful and i dont see why one based on a property that's more obscure than dbz and looks like that would be any different

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The obscurity works in its favor and ten billion people saw avatar which was even uglier.

I don't really know tho lol

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

avatar looked better than this and cameron is a better director

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Hmm. I would trust Cameron a hell of a lot more than Robert Rodriguez.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

an actual dog posted:

The obscurity works in its favor and ten billion people saw avatar which was even uglier.

I don't really know tho lol

avatar looked way better what the heck

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the aliens were just like blue versions of this alita

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The eyes honestly don't bother me, especially since it seems like they're clearly doing it for the uncanny, not-quite-human effect.

Whether or not it was necessary though is a completely valid question.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

i wont watch it do that because literally no anime-based western film has ever been financially successful and i dont see why one based on a property that's more obscure than dbz and looks like that would be any different

Do light novels count? Because Edge of Tomorrow did pretty OK despite a wobbly start. Revenue ended up at roughly twice its budget.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

dogsicle posted:

the aliens were just like blue versions of this alita

But it was better because they were clearly aliens, while this is just a person.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The manga was pretty good too :v:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Do light novels count? Because Edge of Tomorrow did pretty OK despite a wobbly start. Revenue ended up at roughly twice its budget.

thats b/c people didn't know it was anime

e: reposting this thread of translated twitter expectations for the announced american adaptation of your name as i still think its funny

https://twitter.com/nise_shi/status/913208521855877120

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 9, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/nise_shi/status/913275385600557056

id watch this tbh

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Cameron is notorious for being a huge perfectionist which would explain why it was in production hell while he tried to figure out what to do with it, until he gave up and fobbed it off to Rodriguez.

Which is why we are here. Im not sure i like it, the mc looks way unlike everyone else, and everything looks like clean cgi untouched by oil and dust, unlike the grimy manga.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

even if the movie sucks, at least it prompted kodansha to rerelease the original manga in a format so nice, only the huge akira anniversary set rivals it in my collection.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsKOyN2wKmI

Good. Cute. Ready to see these jerk kids I've heard about

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was iffy on Garo at the star, but it has really grown on me. It's got a lot more heart than I assumed based on the opening titty monster episode

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The late starter show 10 cm apart is a really traditional cringe romance drama, for anyone looking for double the quality of Just Because.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I was iffy on Garo at the star, but it has really grown on me. It's got a lot more heart than I assumed based on the opening titty monster episode

Funnily enough, you could have made the exact same post about Honoo no Kokuin. Clearly, Guren no Tsuki’s original sin was failing to open with an offputting titty-monster episode.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

:same:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

That was a good ep. They were friends, and it was nice, and the manager had minimal opportunity to be weird.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I can relate to this

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

boredsatellite posted:

I can relate to this

from the left side of the table i hope

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I relate from the right side personally.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
is the girl on the right more upset about the existence of the games or the low power level of the games

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...le-online-anime

some promotional art for the Gun Gale spinoff

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'll probably give it a chance because it's written by someone who can actually write and not Reki Kawahara.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah, at first I was shocked to hear that the Kino's Journey author wrote the spinoff, but then I remembered that they're a gun nut, so it makes sense.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
He was actually credited as "gun consultant" on the SAO anime, so I guess he was a fan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

I'll probably give it a chance because it's written by someone who can actually write and not Reki Kawahara.
reki kawahara can write. accel world is fine and sao has its moments. sao's just hamstrung by the fact that its a one off thing he wrote in college that got so popular he needed to continue it.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The LNs also get a bit worse rep than they deserve from the anime which managed to make things even more popcorn-y.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Endorph posted:

reki kawahara can write. accel world is fine and sao has its moments. sao's just hamstrung by the fact that its a one off thing he wrote in college that got so popular he needed to continue it.

I thought he originally wrote SAO when he was 15.

There's a lot you can dump on SAO for, but the author had put some actual thought into the how and why of an MMO deathgame, and he can occasionally deliver actual good character moments which is more that most writers can say.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

Kyte posted:

The LNs also get a bit worse rep than they deserve from the anime which managed to make things even more popcorn-y.
Haven't seen/read Accel World, but SAO's Alicization arc was long and drawn out in a way that honestly felt like it should've been better off if they treated it as a spin-off for a different author to tackle, probably some other writer may have successfully done something cool with it. Was Alicization part of the Original Web Novels?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Haven't seen/read Accel World, but SAO's Alicization arc was long and drawn out in a way that honestly felt like it should've been better off if they treated it as a spin-off for a different author to tackle, probably some other writer may have successfully done something cool with it. Was Alicization part of the Original Web Novels?
nah, the original web novels ended with the aincrad arc. which is all over the place and dumb, but at least kind of coherent and gets to the point.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Juni Taisen has gotten kinda bad

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Yeah... yeah. I think it's impossible for the show to continue holding its cards at this point so maybe something interesting will happen now?

I want to at least give it credit for holding my attention far longer than most action shows do.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The comparison between Juni Taisen and Land of the Lustrous is pretty stark. Both had impressive first episodes, but while LoL has kept improving, JT has slid straight into the toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

Juni Taisen has gotten kinda bad

jng2058 posted:

The comparison between Juni Taisen and Land of the Lustrous is pretty stark. Both had impressive first episodes, but while LoL has kept improving, JT has slid straight into the toilet.
With the Monogatari novels/anime, sometimes I feel as if Nisio is taking the piss and making fun of me for continuously following his body of work, but there was a certain level of affection, if not for Araragi, then at the very least for its setting and the troubled ladies that often get into a bind across the series. Juni Taisen, though? It feels as if he's saying "gently caress you" over and over. I'm not sure how much of that is Nisio himself or the Hosoda/Murai team (Director and Script Composition) in the anime.

• Locked thread