Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Alright, show.

I'm givin' you another chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Alright, finally time for the arc you people keep saying this has all been building toward.

Better be all that and a bag a chips, for what I've invested in this so far...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Waffleman_ posted:

Alright, show.

I'm givin' you another chance.

You aren't gonna like this.

I ain't even being an rear end in a top hat I am being honest.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
CRAZY SLOTS

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
what

the

gently caress

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

What

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?
you know, it would be pretty funny if we did all this poo poo and crossed heaven and Earth and risked certain death to get here

only to realize that Gene died years ago from like, diabetes or something

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

CharlestheHammer posted:

You aren't gonna like this.

I ain't even being an rear end in a top hat I am being honest.

I like this show and even I didn't like it

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Gon should be saying hey I know this guy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Momomo posted:

I like this show and even I didn't like it

What this is the best arc by a lot.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
that was no ordinary ant

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
oh right, I forgot this world is full of super hosed up, dangerous creatures

I kinda forgot most poo poo introduced during the Exam Arc, tbh.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

why the gently caress were you fishing like 5 yards away from a colony of these things, then

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
They were supposed to show all this in the first episode

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The strangest thing about this flashback is that it was in the first chapter of the manga, they just didn't add it in the anime.

CharlestheHammer posted:

What this is the best arc by a lot.

It would have been significantly better if it was at least half as long and I hated every single Chimera Ant character except the two that convert. It ended up being a gigantic slog that was really hard to get through.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kerning Chameleon posted:

oh right, I forgot this world is full of super hosed up, dangerous creatures

I kinda forgot most poo poo introduced during the Exam Arc, tbh.

So did the show!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Tarodia posted:

They were supposed to show all this in the first episode

It's not that important so cutting it was fine.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

So did the show!
If you got into the show because of the weirdness of the Hunter profession and the world-building they did early, then this last arc pays off big time

It's just... a slow build, is the thing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Momomo posted:

It would have been significantly better if it was at least half as long and I hated every single Chimera Ant character except the two that convert. It ended up being a gigantic slog that was really hard to get through.

Nah

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah all this originally happened in the first chapter. Kite here is the one originally told Gon his dad was alive and was the one who inspired Gon to become a Hunter, and that he was looking for him too. Kite gave Gon Ging's hunter licence and told him to continue on the search for him,

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Kite seems like an okay dude. I like his clown gun

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
Togashi is real good at drawing gross, hosed up monsters

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I like that the bumper spoils what I assume is a fairly big twist about these ants.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Tarodia posted:

Togashi is real good at drawing gross, hosed up monsters

Don't be rude to my friend Kite

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Like Gon's ideal for being a Hunter was based entirely on Kite.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah all this originally happened in the first chapter. Kite here is the one originally told Gon his dad was alive and was the one who inspired Gon to become a Hunter, and that he was looking for him too. Kite gave Gon Ging's hunter licence and told him to continue on the search for him,

...holy poo poo, that's a hell of a lot of context to leave out.

Like, not knowing that, this would just feel like a badly tacked on backstory retcon.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

I like that the bumper spoils what I assume is a fairly big twist about these ants.

yeah, this is seriously just looking like "what if the Xenomorph got to Earth", except that that idea has already been done in the Alien comics with significantly less tepid anime writing

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kerning Chameleon posted:

...holy poo poo, that's a hell of a lot of context to leave out.

Like, not knowing that, this would just feel like a badly tacked on backstory retcon.

Yeah it's one of the few weaknesses of this adaption.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Can’t wait to see what kind of hosed up bug monsters our boys will have to face later.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs

CharlestheHammer posted:

Don't be rude to my friend Kite

Kite's a Cyborg 009 character who got lost and ended up in the wrong manga

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Argus Zant posted:

yeah, this is seriously just looking like "what if the Xenomorph got to Earth", except that that idea has already been done in the Alien comics with significantly less tepid anime writing

Nah the deal here is more interesting.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Argus Zant posted:

It's not like Aliens at all.

It actually has a point for starters.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The human characters were all really good but up until we finally get one of the Big Three ants they can all be summed up as boring, generic bad guys, one of which wants to protect the queen. That alone takes like 15 episodes of this arc. Also one of the late eps is almost entirely narration.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

JT Jag posted:

If you got into the show because of the weirdness of the Hunter profession and the world-building they did early, then this last arc pays off big time

It's just... a slow build, is the thing.

I really do want to put it out there that crunchyroll has this show and to take advantage of that 'cause while I love this arc to bits I wouldn't have been to get through it on a weekly schedule.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
CROW ATTACK

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

I really do want to put it out there that crunchyroll has this show and to take advantage of that 'cause while I love this arc to bits I wouldn't have been to get through it on a weekly schedule.
Binge watching is the real way to enjoy Hunter x Hunter

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Oh Snapple! posted:

I did when it was airing. It still works fine.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's not that important so cutting it was fine.

Seems pretty pointless to me to have cut the meeting from the start of the series, only to add these extra sequences of them thinking Kite's an enemy before Gon vaguely remembers him leading to introductions.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Oh Snapple! posted:

I'm willing to continue to endure Shippudden through it's horrible filler period, I think I can handle this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gruckles posted:

Seems pretty pointless to me to have cut the meeting from the start of the series, only to add these extra sequences of them thinking Kite's an enemy before Gon vaguely remembers him leading to introductions.

They would have done that either way since that was like 50 episodes ago.

• Locked thread