Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also, if we're gonna take this as evidence of anything, Google Trends has Alita: Battle Angel trending neck and neck with loving Infinity War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you made a Fist of the North Star movie that would also be a gigantic flop.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Al Borland Corp. posted:

"If"??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boawe1SzCaQ

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

also, if we're gonna take this as evidence of anything, Google Trends has Alita: Battle Angel trending neck and neck with loving Infinity War

Yeah for one day, which just so happens to be the day that the trailer got released. :v:

It'll be interesting to see where it goes over the next few weeks and whether it can stay in the public eye or whether it drops out completely.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: your methodology is flawed in that you're doing 2004-present, when last 5 years is a better indicator.

Naw I'm also looking at the nostalgia factor.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's Mad Max featuring Bruce Lee. That's an easy sell.

A modern attempt at a live action FotNS would do well, I think, if it had the right creative team behind it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Dexie posted:

It's Mad Max featuring Bruce Lee. That's an easy sell.

A modern attempt at a live action FotNS would do well, I think, if it had the right creative team behind it.

Speaking of "want to see the timeline where ____ happened," the Yul Brynner role here was originally being developed for Bruce Lee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXO2o0peZGM

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Neo Rasa posted:

It wasn't a trailer but a clip of the plane hijacking they released very early. Here's the original clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vBW6jvspF8

By the time actual teasers and trailers were out it was already changed.

Wow, even with the roadmap of what's being said from seeing the final movie that's hard as hell to make out even a fraction of it. Wise choice to fix it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
When will Hollywood learn that the only live action manga adaption we need is Dungeon Meshi?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ape Agitator posted:

Wow, even with the roadmap of what's being said from seeing the final movie that's hard as hell to make out even a fraction of it. Wise choice to fix it.

For real, I like the concept of the voice being very distant and like it's going through layers of metal or something but they totally blew it. It says a lot that they went in a totally different direction instead of just mixing it to be louder or something.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The Battle Angel Alita OAV (dubbed) is available on YouTube and isn't even an hour long. I hadn't watched it for a decade but it's still good fun. The story is super simple but it works.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Renoistic posted:

The Battle Angel Alita OAV (dubbed) is available on YouTube and isn't even an hour long. I hadn't watched it for a decade but it's still good fun. The story is super simple but it works.

Here we go, for everyone else
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tofSaLB9kwE
(It's in English, ignore that the title says it's subtitled.)

It'll be interesting to see how they get these older versions back into the public eye in order to generate interest in the live action version

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 10, 2017

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Neo Rasa posted:

It wasn't a trailer but a clip of the plane hijacking they released very early. Here's the original clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vBW6jvspF8

By the time actual teasers and trailers were out it was already changed.

Holy poo poo, that sounds like a Scotsman with a speech impediment speaking while gargling a glass of water.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I have a feeling the anime will only get the lowest of budgets re-release or just get dropped onto Amazon Prime or whatever. While the US versions of the manga renamed her to Alita along with renaming a lot of other stuff that has stuck for all US Battle Angel stuff, weirdly the anime still used the Japanese names even in English. When you'd get it on VHS back in the day there'd be a little text blurb at the beginning talking a bit about when the manga first came out in the US and what names were changed which was impressively vigilant for the mid 90s.

It hasn't had a DVD release since 1999 so I'm sure it will get another/a blu-ray release once the movie comes out, but it will be interesting to see if it gets new subtitles using the US names or what. There's no way they'll actually bother to re-dub it or anything like that as it was never highly regarded at the time. I never understood why, it's short but it's a blast. The English dub is pretty bad at points though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I will be so loving happy if the Battle Angel Alita OVA gets a bluray rerelease.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

I have a feeling the anime will only get the lowest of budgets re-release or just get dropped onto Amazon Prime or whatever. While the US versions of the manga renamed her to Alita along with renaming a lot of other stuff that has stuck for all US Battle Angel stuff, weirdly the anime still used the Japanese names even in English. When you'd get it on VHS back in the day there'd be a little text blurb at the beginning talking a bit about when the manga first came out in the US and what names were changed which was impressively vigilant for the mid 90s.

Changing the main character's name from Gally to Alita is pretty well-known, but the biggest change was the name of the space elevator city: in the U.S. release, it's called Tiphares, the lowest rung in the Qabalistic tree of life, but it's known originally in Japanese as Zalem. The top of the elevator is known as Jeru (Kether in the Viz U.S. release), meaning the whole elevator is known as Jeru-Zalem.

Neo Rasa posted:

It hasn't had a DVD release since 1999 so I'm sure it will get another/a blu-ray release once the movie comes out, but it will be interesting to see if it gets new subtitles using the US names or what. There's no way they'll actually bother to re-dub it or anything like that as it was never highly regarded at the time. I never understood why, it's short but it's a blast. The English dub is pretty bad at points though.

ADV put that out as their first video. I'm certain that the company actually came together just to put that, eventually becoming a major force during the anime boom in the late '90s until the anime bust in 2000s. I'm not sure who exactly has the rights to the title anymore.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

see, i'm not arguing that it's some massive million-seller or anything. the words i believe i used were "cult following," and I specifically compared it to Fist of the North Star and Guyver in popularity.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, I frankly can't see it as a bigger risk than Fury Road or the new Alien movies, and Cameron has easily as much pull as Scott and probably quite a bit more than Miller. :shrug: Battle Angel isn't some super hot thing, but it's got a pretty dedicated fanbase in the USA (partly because Cameron's been hyping it for so long) who'll be absolutely happy to evangelize the gently caress out of it to literally everybody who'll listen if the movie looks good.

You compared Battle Angel being no bigger a risk for a studio to develop a $200 million dollar movie on than a new Mad Max or Aliens movie. :thunk:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I've only ever heard of this thing through Cameron's talk. And I thought it was a show with Jessica Alba, but that was another Cameron joint with the world Angel in it.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

To be fair, it might also be trending because of people freaking out at the eyes, but the algorithm doesn't pick up on that. Sort of how when I tell President Trump I will put a diaper on him on Twitter, Twitter thinks I want to follow Trump and keeps showing me other conservative idiots.

I've heard of Battle Angel Alita and I don't watch anime, but I'm also pushing 40, so I don't know if the 20somethings know about it.

The other Spider-Man has an animated film coming out and the style looks great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-OT5kRdL84

DC Murderverse posted:

nah, he's an active part of the process. From this article:

That seems like a big website writing an article away from blowing up in their face and his name being scrubbed.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

teagone posted:

You compared Battle Angel being no bigger a risk for a studio to develop a $200 million dollar movie on than a new Mad Max or Aliens movie. :thunk:

Fury Road was a sequel made 30 years later, for a shitzillion dollars, to a film series that was most known by people under the age of 40 as "that thing with all the leatherdaddies crashing cars into each other." Fury Road was a pretty massive risk and yet nobody batted an eye.

The new Alien movies are new entries years later in a franchise that has been absolutely dragged into the shitter, with no characters people recognize and the title creature not actually technically appearing in Prometheus. Again, pretty loving massive risk on paper.

My point was that both of these worked out totally fine. If someone who's got a history of churning out hits the way Cameron does (or George Miller does, or Ridley Scott does) tells you, the dumb film exec, to jump, you say "how high?"

Because if you do, they will cast their dark magic and open up the wallets of filmgoers everywhere for you

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mad Max is a thing that's fairly mainstream. And Alien isn't some obscure thing.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Fury Road was a sequel made 30 years later, for a shitzillion dollars, to a film series that was most known by people under the age of 40 as "that thing with all the leatherdaddies crashing cars into each other." Fury Road was a pretty massive risk and yet nobody batted an eye.

The new Alien movies are new entries years later in a franchise that has been absolutely dragged into the shitter, with no characters people recognize and the title creature not actually technically appearing in Prometheus. Again, pretty loving massive risk on paper.

My point was that both of these worked out totally fine. If someone who's got a history of churning out hits the way Cameron does (or George Miller does, or Ridley Scott does) tells you, the dumb film exec, to jump, you say "how high?"

Because if you do, they will cast their dark magic and open up the wallets of filmgoers everywhere for you

Fury Road is the fourth in an incredibly well known franchise, even if its old.

Alien is also a cultural phenomenon that everyone knows about, even if they haven't seen any of them.

No one knows what the gently caress Battle Angel Alita is. You are comparing apples to cigarettes.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 10, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Didn’t Alien Covenant fail at the box office? Even Alien might not be hot anymore, to the point that the next possible one will be mostly about David and AI.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
David is the most interesting thing to happen to the franchise since 1979.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

GonSmithe posted:

Fury Road is the fifth in an incredibly well known franchise, even if its old.

Um...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GonSmithe posted:

Fury Road is the fifth in an incredibly well known franchise, even if its old.

Fifth?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The NES game is canon.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

It's so good it counts as two movies

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Frogtown is canon.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Mad Max
Road Warrior
Beyond the Thunderdome
Tank Girl
Fury Road

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GonSmithe posted:

Well it is two films.

Fury Road

Fury Road: Black and Chrome

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
even conceding the point and assuming that i am literally one of the only people in america who has ever heard of this series, it's not even the first time Hollywood's adapted some random-rear end anime nobody's ever heard of into a major blockbuster

and while Edge of Tomorrow kinda just did okayish at the box office and didn't set the world on fire or anything (and actually underperformed pretty badly here in the US), that movie had a lot working against it and I would not put "based on obscure anime" at the top of that list

e: i'm not even a hundred percent sure what this argument is about anymore, i feel like i somehow managed to fishmech myself

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 10, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You'd probably get more people familiar with Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt than with Battle Angel Alita if you asked people who were into anime. (Though that title alone probably gives good reasons why you likely don't want to try finding out yourself) But the point is, it's pretty obscure even by anime standards, and pretty sure the only reason it's getting made is because James Cameron likes it and managed to wrangle the rights to it.

Rights issues and publisher interest can be tricky. Dragon Ball Z would be a no-brainer to film, but they somehow managed to gently caress it up in every which possible way with Dragon Ball Evolution. While Speed Racer was pretty amazingly suited for the directors' style, despite being known mostly for novelty. Some anime producers might be happy to sign away the rights for a quick buck to whichever company rings up first, others might refuse in case it cannibalises their own anime movies or don't trust Western companies with their IPs. (Often wisely, given how badly some get completely butchered across the Pacific)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
All You Need is Kill is a light novel, not an anime.
:goonsay:

While we're fantasy directing I'd like the Crank people to make Gurren Lagann.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I have a feeling that what people are talking about is whether or not they themselves consider Battle Angel Alita noteworthy enough for massive box office success. Nobody worries if a book is too obscure to be adapted, these kinds of debate are only ever about comic properties.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 10, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inescapable Duck posted:

Dragon Ball Z would be a no-brainer to film, but they somehow managed to gently caress it up in every which possible way with Dragon Ball Evolution.

I dunno, the characters and fights operate on a completely different set of physical rules from anything else and would be an absolute nightmare to depict in a live action film in a way that did justice to the source. It's pretty much the martial arts equivalent of a Looney Tunes cartoon.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I watched Beyond Skyline and can definitely say the ending is what the ending to Breaking Dawn Part 2 should have been.

I also expected some silat vs alien action and it delivers in the final act.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I dunno, the characters and fights operate on a completely different set of physical rules from anything else and would be an absolute nightmare to depict in a live action film in a way that did justice to the source. It's pretty much the martial arts equivalent of a Looney Tunes cartoon.

I mean, there's that, but then there's having Goku in high school.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean, the Super Mario Bros movie at least has the excuse of the production being completely insane, and has a bunch of truly inspiringly deranged interpretations of the source material.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

I mean, there's that, but then there's having Goku in high school.

Then there's having Goku in high school when the series already has a "superpowered teen in high school" segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

GonSmithe posted:

that movie's so nice i watched it twice

• Locked thread