Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
If there's anyone whose reitrement i hope sticks it's Salido.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Orlando Salido was fun to watch, good luck bud

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
now that the ufc is over with i can go back to marvelling at how lomachenko made it impossible to differentiate rigondeaux from the rest of the people he easily dismantled. it was a virtuoso performance and leaves me in no doubt who the p4p #1 is right now.

Garlic Wraith
Dec 10, 2015

Dracula's nemesis
Just came back from watching the Loma x Rigo card live.

Rigo looked like he had a plan for the first 2 rounds but was thoroughly outboxed by Lomachenko. All Loma had to do was circle away from Rigo's left hand and handcuffed his power hand.

I saw no visible 'damage' or real reason why Rigo would all of a sudden quit from a broken hand. He continued to throw both hands regardless.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Teddy Atlas has given Vasyl the moniker "No Maschenko".

Edit - the Bad Left Hook article says the fighter made the joke himself in the post-bout interview. Ah well.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 10, 2017

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

He did and it was loving great.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Loma has to be #1 pound for pound now right?

I was amazed at how stationary Rigo was. Seemed like he had no idea how to keep distance on Loma.

Nomaschenko was an inspired quote. When undefeated guys would rather quit than continue fighting you...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
whats the best way to watch the fight now its over?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Do you have access to WatchESPN or whatever they call their online service? Generally everything on ESPN is available for a few weeks after

edit - and the Reddit boxing has a link to a dailymotion video

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 11, 2017

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The Ninth Layer posted:

i honestly don't know. i want to know if rigo was always just trash, and loma beat no one special or if rigo really is a ridiculous fighter and loma is capable of making one of the best amateur and professional fighters of this generation look like all the other trash he's casually annihilated. i feel like that weird as gently caress fight raised more questions than answers.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jose posted:

whats the best way to watch the fight now its over?

First thing I did this morning was find a no sound recording on youtube on the first page of search results. It wasn't great but I wasn't able to watch it live and it least it keeps me in the conversation of my favorite sport.

Edit: Regarding Loma's Pound per Pound status, Andre Ward was cagey, citing the lack of opposition. At this point I have to wonder if it's not becoming more and more acceptable for fighters to quit against this particular guy. I mean, when you know the last 3 guys quit, that's got to make it easier for you to do it right? I haven't looked into it; did the last 3 guys absolutely tank their careers or have they gotten good fights since?

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 11, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

Edit: Regarding Loma's Pound per Pound status, Andre Ward was cagey, citing the lack of opposition. At this point I have to wonder if it's not becoming more and more acceptable for fighters to quit against this particular guy. I mean, when you know the last 3 guys quit, that's got to make it easier for you to do it right? I haven't looked into it; did the last 3 guys absolutely tank their careers or have they gotten good fights since?

Neither Walters nor Marriaga have fought since, Sosa has fought once and lost a majority decision to Yuriorkis Gamboa.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That was a garbage decision, though, if memory serves.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It was indeed.

It's worth noting that Sosa and Walters were both good fighters that Loma made look like very easy work. It's not super surprising Loma beat Rigo, who is an older fighter who has always had a relatively limited arsenal and low output, but it is surprising that he made it look very easy and got Rigo to quit on his stool.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Garlic Wraith posted:

Rigo looked like he had a plan for the first 2 rounds but was thoroughly outboxed by Lomachenko. All Loma had to do was circle away from Rigo's left hand and handcuffed his power hand.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I was amazed at how stationary Rigo was. Seemed like he had no idea how to keep distance on Loma.

Has Rigo faced a southpaw before? It seems like a lot of his tactics were too baked in for orthodox, and that he couldn't make an adjustment for a highly technically proficient fighter jabbing at will from range.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Marching Powder posted:

i honestly don't know. i want to know if rigo was always just trash,

lol yes perhaps the multiple time olympic and world champion was actually bad all along

maybe rigo was 37, hadn't fought much lately and was fighting an elite fighter 2 weight classes above

Garlic Wraith
Dec 10, 2015

Dracula's nemesis

kimbo305 posted:

Has Rigo faced a southpaw before? It seems like a lot of his tactics were too baked in for orthodox, and that he couldn't make an adjustment for a highly technically proficient fighter jabbing at will from range.

I believe James Dickens (2 fights ago) was the last southpaw he faced. Rigo broke his jaw in round 1 and the guy called it quits by round 2 TKO.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Yes. In my opinion he is for sure #1 P4P. Loma has the skills to show that he is the best. A lot of people put weight on resume but his skills are top notch.

Garlic Wraith fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 11, 2017

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

thehappyprince posted:

maybe rigo was 37, hadn't fought much lately and was fighting an elite fighter 2 weight classes above

and this translated into him becoming even less effective than no-name trash fighters? i mean, sure, if you want. age is a hell of a thing.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I thought Rigo's counter footwork looked good for the first couple rounds, but either he got tired doing it, or Loma started to anticipate it, or both.

But at first, his pivots and leans and cut backs were keeping Loma from landing clean hits, but I think he was working hard just to break even and it wasn't sustainable.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
All Rigo had to do was not quit, the excuses were ready made for him. What a way to ruin your legacy.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Loma would beat Floyd at any point in his career.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah I think if you watch the beginning of the fight you can see Rigo was trying very hard and was having some success stifling Loma’s offence. According to the stats Loma threw less punches than normal and landed at a lower connect percentage than normal. Rigo translate that to landing anything though. After a couple rounds, Loma adjusted and Rigo didn’t.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Tyson Fury got a 2 year ban but backdated 2 years from 2015 (which is a joke because he had 2 further violations in 2016) so he's free to fight from now.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Dangersim posted:

Loma would beat Floyd at any point in his career.

Nah, not up above 140.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Tyson Fury got a 2 year ban but backdated 2 years from 2015 (which is a joke because he had 2 further violations in 2016) so he's free to fight from now.

Isn't he still ~300lbs? He's not going to be fighting anytime soon, ban or no ban.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Julio Cruz posted:

Isn't he still ~300lbs? He's not going to be fighting anytime soon, ban or no ban.

He'll be back on the gear and shedding huge amounts of weight again in no time.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

He'll be back on the gear and shedding huge amounts of weight again in no time.

Already been doing this for a bit

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
There was a point in the 3rd (I think?) where Rigo switched up his defence from leaning back to dipping really far forward and Loma hit him with like three lead uppercuts in a row and it owned

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Reports are in that Rigondeaux's hand wasn't broken, he had some bruising on it. So he pretty much unambiguously quit.

I've gotta imagine that's the end of his televised career. Quitting is just about the worst thing you can do in this sport, and after all the poo poo-talking Rigo did it looks especially bad.

I wonder if Frampton and Santa Cruz are kicking themselves for not taking on Rigo when they had the chance. I wouldn't give either of them the same chance as Lomachenko, but I think they both would have had a shot to beat him, and those matches would have been entertaining and interesting.

In any case Rigo will probably be remembered more for his unfulfilled potential as a professional boxer than anything else. Between promotional troubles and an aggressively anti-fan-friendly style and personality, he never got off the ground as a boxing star, even though he was one of the sport's greatest recent talents.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Next Loma fight needs a ridiculous penalty fee for quiting .

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This conor benn fight on sky sports hd mix right now is pretty good, taking a battering at the moment.

e: yeah a very nice 6 rounder. think benn's getting a hometown decision though.

e2: yep, three points to benn, it was two knockdowns each, two knockdowns in round 1 against benn and two knockdowns in two rounds for the french man i don't know his name. really bad decision, shame really.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 13, 2017

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I don't know poo poo about boxing, but I try to watch Lomachenko fights because he is super cool. What kind of potential opponents could be next for him?

Or is the classic boxing match up system going to come into effect and have him fight some random nobody for a tune up while waiting for someone good to decide whether they want to sign a contract or not?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CRISPYBABY posted:

I don't know poo poo about boxing, but I try to watch Lomachenko fights because he is super cool. What kind of potential opponents could be next for him?

I guess Mikey Garcia is the biggest sort of realistic name, but he went up to 140 to fight Broner and I don't know if he cares to come back down to 135. And I kinda doubt Loma would jump all the way to 140 immediately.

I could see him doing the belt collecting thing and just cleaning out 130 before moving up to 135. Which would be impressive enough but boring as far as matchups go for the most part.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Grittybeard posted:

I guess Mikey Garcia is the biggest sort of realistic name, but he went up to 140 to fight Broner and I don't know if he cares to come back down to 135. And I kinda doubt Loma would jump all the way to 140 immediately.

I could see him doing the belt collecting thing and just cleaning out 130 before moving up to 135. Which would be impressive enough but boring as far as matchups go for the most part.

Did anything ever come of Linares vs Garcia for the WBC belt at 135? I'd imagine if Mikey can make weight for that, a fight against Loma at that weight would be entirely possible (If Vasyl's team was ok with it, anway)

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

There's talk of Lomachenko fighting Jorge Linares too, that would be a good match at lightweight.

Realistically he may be in Bum of the Month Club for a while though. May indeed be good for him to take notes from Golovkin and Crawford and just concentrate on unifying titles, which will boost his legacy no matter who he wins them from.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Ninth Layer posted:

Reports are in that Rigondeaux's hand wasn't broken, he had some bruising on it. So he pretty much unambiguously quit.

It looked like some nasty bruising admittedly

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

What an incredible sport we've been blessed with

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

What an incredible sport we've been blessed with

i challenge that guy

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bud Crawford's arrival at welterweight is going to be meteoric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Marching Powder posted:

i challenge that guy

Adelaide Byrd would judge and you'd end up like John Ashcroft