Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
But all systems works towards not wasting your actions and stacking you stuff towards succeeding even if you roll an 80/throwing enough dice to avoid boxcars? Like, if the desired result is a 100% success rate, what's the difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

JcDent posted:

But all systems works towards not wasting your actions and stacking you stuff towards succeeding even if you roll an 80/throwing enough dice to avoid boxcars? Like, if the desired result is a 100% success rate, what's the difference?
It's actually a 99% success rate because rolling a 100 is still a failure, even if the target number is higher.

Or I guess a 99.99% chance if you can re-roll, but still...

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

JcDent posted:

It's okay to fail, but it sucks to fail repeatedly and in ways that aren't memorable.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
I feel like the percentile system from 40k RPGs has a specific problem from the way it carried over stats from the miniatures games. They kinda just multiplied everything by ten, said "alright, these are the average stats for these kind of dudes", and designed enemies around that. But every PC I've seen has had stats way out of proportion to what should be "average" for their race, meaning that even starting dudes are out muscling/fight better/are smarter/more determined than centuries-old chaos space Marines. So when you get into fights, the math breaks down. It could've been a fine system, it just needed a very different interpretation of the meanings and differences of statistics and bonuses.

Similarly, these games try to accurately reflect the mechanical differences between the tabletop game weapons, which are all balanced around an entirely different set of play assumptions. On the tabletop, you make cost/benefit analyses for different units that are expected to fulfill specific roles and often get killed as the game progresses. Heavy weapons are useful against tanks and tough enemies, but overkill against grunts, and you risk wasting points if you give them to a model that dies early or isn't where they need to be. Here, the PCs are always in every fight, and shouldn't die all that often. So every PC gears up as much as possible, and can no-sell anti-infantry weapons, but still splatter when something designed to kill tanks finally hits.

The main thing this new 40k rpg needs is to acknowledge that some things are going to work differently than they "should" according to tabletop knowledge, and balance things properly.

EDIT: Or if not, come up with ways to work with it. Give characters faceless minions to eat the first few lascannon rounds, enforce some kind of stricter equipment policy to make loadouts balanced, make a system that scales better for the different levels of conflict you encounter in 40k. And for God's sake, have psykers gradually suffer drawbacks or lose power or something, don't let them either be great forever or summon Kaz'Goth the armsman and TPK the first time they blink.

Eponymous fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 26, 2017

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

You guys know that, regardless of the randomization system used, you can describe the probability of each outcome as a percentage, right? There's no difference between rolling a 6 on 1d6 and rolling a 10+ on 2d6, and both of those only differ from rolling an 84+ on 1d100 because 6 doesn't divide evenly into 100 and the die doesn't support fractional results.

What bell curve proponents are actually interested in, I think, is changes in difficulty having larger effects near the center of the distribution: You get more chance of success out of moving from 8+ (~41.7%) to 7+ (~58.3%) (~16.7% change) than you do moving from 5+ (~72.2%) to 4+ (~83.3%) (~11.1% change). You could do this with a percentile dice system by changing target numbers by larger increments near 50 and smaller increments near 1 and 100.

I realize the dice pool system works differently from the three I mentioned above, but you can still assign probabilities to success-with-reward, success-with-complication, failure-with-reward, and failure-with-complication and model them with a d100.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yer probably right and the wrath dice will probably work somewhere towards the system.

And the point that rules are poorly design with regards to psykers and heavy weapons also stands. FFG seems to give you drawbacks at first, and then just layer ways to overcome them on top. I don't know how you can avoid rocket tag - do WHFRPG avoid rocket tag? - but you could make people remember fatigue exists by adding it as a tax on all out attack, pushing powers and straight up running, at least as one measure.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

WFRP avoids rocket tag by having a 2d10 weapon with tearing be a huge deal, and never having more than 1 armor penetration when people can max out at 5 armor. Since 40k tabletop has to deal with power armor and vehicles, it introduces high pen and high damage weapons that just overwhelm weaker targets. That's why enemies should always be hordes of lesser foes led by one or two champions.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Speaking of high stats. My group is currently finishing up the Dark Eldar ready-made campaign for Rogue Trader.
Last session we fought a Wich-Queen and her highest servants. Queen had 90+% Dodge and her servants had 70+% dodges. Also they all dodge twice per turn.

:suicide:

Also what not to have on your 40k campaign: Conversion fields. Literally 90% participants on that fight were blind.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 26, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

wiegieman posted:

It's okay to fail, but it sucks to fail repeatedly and in ways that aren't memorable.

I will go so far as to say Losing is fun, but only if said losing isn't repetitive or arbitrary.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

wiegieman posted:

The difference is in how hard it is to get off the RNG. In 40k as it stands, your goal is usually to crank your skill up enough that you can't fail, because what you're actually doing is making sure that you won't waste your actions doing the thing your character is supposed to be good at. This means stacking reroll talents and getting a WS of 55 so when you charge something it drat well dies even if you roll Another Goddamn 80. Dicepool systems heavily gravitate towards the mean, which give a lower but more consistent result and as a result people tend to like them more -- because they have built in protection from Goddamn 80s.

Adding my own lil' anecdote here. I'm playing a Boatman in a WH Fantasy campaign; not exactly heavily fighting-focused. We were fighting off some Plague Zombies at one point alongside a Witch Hunter. Including taking a half-action to aim, I had a 51% chance to hit...but missed about 8 times in a row against one of them. I eventually got two hits in, but it dodged both of them...by rolling under a 20. GM rolled those in the open, too.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Anyone have advice on the best way to run a 40K RPG campaign, or just RPG campaign in general over the internet? I have heard of a few programs, but it would be nice to hear from people who have experienced first hand success.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Uroboros posted:

Anyone have advice on the best way to run a 40K RPG campaign, or just RPG campaign in general over the internet? I have heard of a few programs, but it would be nice to hear from people who have experienced first hand success.

Discord and roll20. I've played in two games and am running one using those two programs.

Roll 20 has some pretty good character sheets you can choose from when you create the game that can help your players on some of the rolling, especially on Dark Heresy 2nd edition.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Werix posted:

Discord and roll20. I've played in two games and am running one using those two programs.

Roll 20 has some pretty good character sheets you can choose from when you create the game that can help your players on some of the rolling, especially on Dark Heresy 2nd edition.

Thanks, any good tutorials that cover the basic of using these two programs to their fullest potential to cut down on some of the starting time?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'm finding all the mechanics talk to be really interesting, but do we have any idea what the default setting will be? Is it going to be Calixis or Askellon or somewhere new?

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!

Uroboros posted:

Thanks, any good tutorials that cover the basic of using these two programs to their fullest potential to cut down on some of the starting time?

Here's a basic roll20 tutorial I wrote for another GM:

Me posted:

So, Roll20! It's honestly pretty easy to use but here's everything I can think of that's useful for a beginner. 

Register an account, and create a new game. Don't worry about anything except the name, tags are apparently for some kind of matchmaking thing we don't need to worry about. In the client, you'll see a big white grid. In the main window, you have a bar of controls on the left, a zoom slider in the top right, and (if you're the game master) a little blue tab thing. The tab is for going between pages; you can go to any page at any time, but the players only see whatever one has the red "PLAYERS" ribbon on it. You can drag it onto any page and the player's view will switch over just like that. You can also edit page settings with the little gear icon. 

The grid is where the action takes place, you make little tokens and slide them around and such. You can just drag them onto the grid out of a folder or get them out of the Art Library (I'll cover it). Any pictures will do, if you want to create your own little tokens I use tokentool: 

http://www.rptools.net/downloadsw/ 

For each icon, you can right click them and click on the gear, that'll take you to the icon's settings. There you can do things like give it a little nameplate, put health/fate/whatever bars above it or auras around it, and make icons moveable by players. You have to go into the advanced tab of the icon to let player see that info, it's pretty safe to let us players control whatever. Be aware, players are only able to interact with the Objects & Tokens layer. You can swap between them using the cube icon on the left, and you can move tokens between layers by right clicking. Players can't see the GM layer, so you can write yourself notes, or hide tokens or text there and swap it down to a visible layer when appropriate. 

The section on the right of the client should have another row of icons on the top you can click between. The furthest left is the chat, where players can chat and roll dice. To roll dice you just type "/roll 1d100", or whatever kind of dice roll you want. "/roll 2d10+30" or "/roll (2d4)*5" both work, the dice system is pretty robust. If you want to make a roll only you can see, do /gmroll (whatever). 

The next section is the art library. There's a whole shop for premium assets you could use, but the internet is full of people's wonderful 40k fanart you can safely steal, so you can also upload your own images into your library. 

You can ignore the next three tabs for now, just check the last one which is settings, you can do some important stuff there. Really, that's most of Roll20, you should be able to pick it up easy enough. There's pretty good documentation for it too, if you google "Roll20 whatever" there'll probably be a nice wiki page to help you out. 

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Schadenboner posted:

I'm finding all the mechanics talk to be really interesting, but do we have any idea what the default setting will be? Is it going to be Calixis or Askellon or somewhere new?

Well, it's certainly not going to be the Jericho Reach considering the way GW pooh-poohed that setting/sector.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

What did they do?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I can't find the exact reference, but basically there's a reference somewhere in new Deathwatch materials to a branch located somewhere that's very similar to Watch Fortress Erioch. The flag for this branch of the Deathwatch is also very close to that of the Jericho Reach. There's also a reference to a Vault full of things (it's not Omega - but again, very close) that opens up to reveal that it's just an elaborate troll, right before the whole place is swarmed and nommed by Tyranids. This appeared shortly after the dissolution of the agreement between FFG and GW.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

well that's real loving lame

whatever FFG's take on 40k will always be my headcanon :colbert:

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I liked a lot of the original stuff they came up with. I like the idea of the Storm Wardens Chapter of space marines. They were a lot like Salamanders in that they spend a lot of time on their home world with their families, including carrying large monoswords into battle that are family heirlooms.

I mean, I'll always love Blood Ravens, but the Storm Wardens were neat enough since they weren't clearly a successor of any one chapter, but combined a lot of things. The connection to their world like the Salamanders/Ultras; an affinity for melee combat like the Templars; a love of mechanized warfare similar to the White Scars. They were a well designed chapter.

Just imagine this in the 40k setting:

"Son, you have been chosen to be a Storm Warden. This sword has been passed down in our family, carried by five other astartes in your ancestry. For three generations none of our line has passed the trials and proven themselves worthy to carry it. You have."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Werix posted:

I liked a lot of the original stuff they came up with. I like the idea of the Storm Wardens Chapter of space marines. They were a lot like Salamanders in that they spend a lot of time on their home world with their families, including carrying large monoswords into battle that are family heirlooms.

I mean, I'll always love Blood Ravens, but the Storm Wardens were neat enough since they weren't clearly a successor of any one chapter, but combined a lot of things. The connection to their world like the Salamanders/Ultras; an affinity for melee combat like the Templars; a love of mechanized warfare similar to the White Scars. They were a well designed chapter.

Just imagine this in the 40k setting:

"Son, you have been chosen to be a Storm Warden. This sword has been passed down in our family, carried by five other astartes in your ancestry. For three generations none of our line has passed the trials and proven themselves worthy to carry it. You have."

It helps that the Storm Wardens cleave to a recognizable warrior archetype: they're woad-painted Celts from the misty moors.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

LuiCypher posted:

I can't find the exact reference, but basically there's a reference somewhere in new Deathwatch materials to a branch located somewhere that's very similar to Watch Fortress Erioch. The flag for this branch of the Deathwatch is also very close to that of the Jericho Reach. There's also a reference to a Vault full of things (it's not Omega - but again, very close) that opens up to reveal that it's just an elaborate troll, right before the whole place is swarmed and nommed by Tyranids. This appeared shortly after the dissolution of the agreement between FFG and GW.

Bitter exes are always the worst.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Werix posted:

And it just gets even better when they become a Tempest Blade:

"Brother, you have been chosen to be a Tempest Blade. This sword has been passed down in our Chapter, carried by nine other Brothers since the time of our Founding. All nine of them met with glorious ends - in that process, this blade has cut down 3 Hive Tyrants, 5 Ork Warbosses, 2 Rogue Inquisitors, 4 Chaos Champions, 3 Dark Eldar Archons, a Harlequin, a Tau Riptide Battlesuit, and a Bloodthirster of Khorne - not to mention the countless fields of chaff it has cut a swath through. What path will you carve with this blade so that we may pass it to your successor with honor?"

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Eponymous posted:

Here's a basic roll20 tutorial I wrote for another GM:

This is a great help, I really appreciate it.

Most my old role-playing friends live outside an hour drive these days, and are plagued with little in the way of time, and we all have kids and other responsibilities that kind of prevent us from meeting up with regularity.

For little over a year I rotated between DW and DH as the GM and I think it was some of the most fun role-playing we had in the better part of a decade. Up until that point I had never GM'd, but I am pretty huge 40K buff, and I have an eye for consistency that I think helped a lot. I took a lot of the pre-gen campaigns and would expand on them by adding more characters and contingency plans for when things went off the rails(which they always do) and steer them back into the main focus.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Some ???news??? on the new WHFRPG:
http://cubicle7.co.uk/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-fourth-edition-news/

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pretty much news it will release mid 2018 and more news tomorrow.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Unless I can play as the rat ogre on the cover I don't care

susan
Jan 14, 2013
If I ever do another campaign for 40k, I'm going to set a Dark Heresy game in a locked down Ponte Towers-esque megastructure that's been infested by Khorne cultists with a ticking clock to clear it out in *** amount of time before the Inquisitor just nukes it, and I'm going to call it Dredd Heresy. I feel this will be a good plan.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

susan posted:

If I ever do another campaign for 40k, I'm going to set a Dark Heresy game in a locked down Ponte Towers-esque megastructure that's been infested by Khorne cultists with a ticking clock to clear it out in *** amount of time before the Inquisitor just nukes it, and I'm going to call it Dredd Heresy. I feel this will be a good plan.

I wanna play this

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Dark Heresy: The Raid

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Go full-up The Wire with Arbites, Feds Ordos, gangers, and locals just trying to get by,

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Rockopolis posted:

Dark Heresy: The Raid

The Raid: Redemptionists :black101:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

susan posted:

Ok, but also rip-off The Dark Knight Returns were the prisoners have a rope that they can tie to themselves to try to climb out of the prison, but no one ever succeeds

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

susan posted:

I'm going to make sure our assault squad is armed with weapons that don't shed blood (shock mauls, plasma guns, etc), because I'm pretty sure the design is for all the blood to flow down into the central atrium and summon a Bloodthirster.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

For tonight's assignment, find the one structure, hive, or city-plex in the Imperium that wasn't designed according to hidden heretical geometries.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Yeah, definitely going with some wire work/forced floor hopping for the PCs to escape mega hordes or something (still working on details). And floors cut off full of mutants or other undesirables that they can escape to. And there's no escape on the top; my thought is that it's a hermetically sealed environment to guard the civilians against local weather stuff, but that is set to open soon after the danger has passed, hence the ticking clock. Though there should be enough room for some kind of hover vehicle to fly up and down spraying bolter fire :) .

JcDent
May 13, 2013

susan posted:

Yeah, definitely going with some wire work/forced floor hopping for the PCs to escape mega hordes or something (still working on details). And floors cut off full of mutants or other undesirables that they can escape to. And there's no escape on the top; my thought is that it's a hermetically sealed environment to guard the civilians against local weather stuff, but that is set to open soon after the danger has passed, hence the ticking clock. Though there should be enough room for some kind of hover vehicle to fly up and down spraying bolter fire :) .

Arvus Lighter, the most lovable flying box, should fit anywhere!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

susan posted:

Though there should be enough room for some kind of hover vehicle window-cleaning gantry to move up and down spraying bolter fire :) .

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
It's 40K, make it tall enough to have a swordfight over who gets the grav-chute as you plummet to the ground. If the player wins too early, you can lengthen the fight with some frenzied cultists leaping out after them as they drop past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

wiegieman posted:

For tonight's assignment, find the one structure, hive, or city-plex in the Imperium that wasn't designed according to hidden heretical geometries.

Bloody Stupid Johnson, Tzeentch's favorite hive planner looked upon his latest work and despaired. Everything had gone just as planned, the temples to the Corpse-Emperor spaced in such a way that when the slaughter commenced all the blood would cascade down the fluted pillars as the cacophony of screams rose up (funneled throughout the city by an intricate arrangement of vox-casters) to split open the veil between realms. Everything was perfect, except for the difference between ' and ". As the very small Lord of Change surveyed its new realm, Johnson sobbed.