Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stephen9001 posted:

Who wants to place bets on the pods either being the last survivors and 9S and A2 die, or if they sacrifice themselves in some manner? Or, if you really feel like betting on low odds, that both pods and 9S and A2 survive the final ending?

Nier 3 will be the two pods and Machine on a Break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
The next thing the machine network will do to 9S is make him kill Machine on a Break.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

It is actually kind of hard to spare them because basically anything you do except immediately walking away means killing them. Attacking them, walking towards them, apparently even waiting too long?

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Pyre of Word Salsa posted:

Were there any other instances of that in the game?
Both Adam and A2's boss fights during Routes A/B would auto-trigger after a few seconds of not immediately fighting them.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
So what happens if you try to fish.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Know Such Peace posted:

Both Adam and A2's boss fights during Routes A/B would auto-trigger after a few seconds of not immediately fighting them.

Do they? I know this game's been patched here and there, but I definitely left Adam alone initially for a good minute because I wasn't sure if the game was going to let me decide, force the issue, or spec-ops me into it. It seemed to be option 3 :shrug:

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
It may have been patched. Whoever you aren't controlling will eventually start attacking even if their combat is set to passive.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's part of the contract. No murder, you're not in the Yoko Taro show. :colbert:

Two managed for a while.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Remember that Two helped her sisters conquer the world at the time. She killed plenty of people. Also, the whole 'brainwash the masses into believing we are liberators not conquerors' thing.

That she was genuinely kind and loved orphans was just icing on the cake.

The murder cake.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
You know, after Automata, all that stuff about Accord being an android and there being a ton of copies of her went from "HOLY poo poo" to just being kind of a given. Taro has a real talent for escalation.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Child suicide? Oh Taro, you delightfully unpredictable scamp.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

:allears: Pods.

"Hang on, are we growing free will? And personal identity?"
"Maybe. Iunno. First things first, we gotta keep our dinguses from murdering each other and/or exploding."
"Yeah, true. Don't die tho."

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Danaru posted:

You know, after Automata, all that stuff about Accord being an android and there being a ton of copies of her went from "HOLY poo poo" to just being kind of a given. Taro has a real talent for escalation.

I was honestly surprised she didn't have more of a presence since...y'know...she's an android. Instead all we get is a very vague reference to her once.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007

GeminiSun posted:

:allears: Pods.

"Hang on, are we growing free will? And personal identity?"
"Maybe. Iunno. First things first, we gotta keep our dinguses from murdering each other and/or exploding."
"Yeah, true. Don't die tho."

I want to see them fistbump

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

McFetusBurger posted:

I want to see them fistbump

They will but only in whichever ending is most difficult and tedious to get.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Dr. Snark posted:

I was honestly surprised she didn't have more of a presence since...y'know...she's an android. Instead all we get is a very vague reference to her once.

What did Accord ever do to you that you would wish for her to be in another Yoko Taro game?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Maybe this timeline was already sealed, so there's no reason for her to be there... :thunk:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

Zoe posted:

What did Accord ever do to you that you would wish for her to be in another Yoko Taro game?

...A fair point. I apologize for not thinking about the implications of my statement.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Snark posted:

She was name dropped, that's not vague at all.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Zoe posted:

She's responsible for the most "wacky" Japanese humor moment in the series, remember?

Some might consider that a pretty damning offense :japan:

Yunlihn
Nov 8, 2017

I recordz and I sell weaponz.

Bufuman posted:

She's responsible for the most "wacky" Japanese humor moment in the series, remember?

Some might consider that a pretty damning offense :japan:

Accord did nothing wrong. Who wouldn't want to fondle Zero's breast? (And get immediately killed unless your name is Accord).

This content has been deemed inappropriate for pretty much everyone. Please stand by.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

Two managed for a while.

Being murdered fulfils the murder clause.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
Nier 3: Accord's time traveling adventure.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I still don’t know if it’s weirder that we got a Drakengard 3 or a Nier 2.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SatansBestBuddy posted:

She was name dropped, that's not vague at all.

She was namedropped and had a business flyer as an archive.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Up to this point at least, there hasn't been a timeline split. Apart from her weapon selling business, being a Time Lord is Accord's main gig, so until we see things start branching (if they do, anyhow), Accord won't have much reason to be hanging around this time period.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Nier endings have always been funny compared to Drakengard endings

Maybe Accord is assigned to the Drakengard division of things

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Ohhhhhhhh better idea the next game should star one of the time cops. Either accord or a close friend.

Your job would be to shut down the boss fights of other games.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Billzasilver posted:

Ohhhhhhhh better idea the next game should star one of the time cops. Either accord or a close friend.

Your job would be to shut down the protagonists of other games.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Billzasilver posted:

Your job would be to shut down the boss fights of other games.

Your job would be to seal off doomed worlds one after another as the Watchers influence creeps slowly and inexorably across the universe, knowing that the absolute best you can hope to do is somewhat delay it in reaching yours.

In then in the end everything falls apart and all is lost and it's explicitly your fault, because Yoko Taro.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Billzasilver posted:

I think "a close friend" in this case just means another Accord.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DanielCross posted:

Up to this point at least, there hasn't been a timeline split. Apart from her weapon selling business, being a Time Lord is Accord's main gig, so until we see things start branching (if they do, anyhow), Accord won't have much reason to be hanging around this time period.

Ending F or whatever is just According showing up at the first Adam fight and giving him and 9S a connect four set

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
I was under the impression Accord only interfered if the Cannibalistic Space Babies were in danger of "leaking" into other timelines.

While the "logic virus" seems to be a manifestation of the Watchers, and it does do gravity schenanigans and wicked tattoos and glowing eyes; and robot cannibalism, that seems to be the limit. So Accord doesn't care.

Edit: Although if you REALLY wanted to be more Yoko Taro, you could say that the Accord for this world was the one that got killed in Drakengard 3. So there' a hole in the net.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Zoe posted:

Your job would be to seal off doomed worlds one after another as the Watchers influence creeps slowly and inexorably across the universe, knowing that the absolute best you can hope to do is somewhat delay it in reaching yours.

In then in the end everything falls apart and all is lost and it's explicitly your fault, because Yoko Taro.

This sounds extremely cool. You would go through multiple timelines of the same story and have a strong narrative that's slightly iterated on with each fresh visit by the subtle differences in choice that cause timelines to diverge, and each iteration would unravel in a different tragic way because of the Watchers. You'd watch the same people suffer over and over in new heartwrenching ways.

:yokotaro:

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 11, 2017

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

This sounds extremely cool. You would go through multiple timelines of the same story and have a strong narrative that's slightly iterated on with each fresh visit by the subtle differences in choice that cause timelines to diverge, and each iteration would unravel in a different tragic way because of the Watchers. You'd watch the same people suffer over and over in new heartwrenching ways.

:yokotaro:

Honestly you could have an equally strong narrative if you looked at something like Drakengard from an external perspective.

Like you throw life and limb into trying to save the world, but is it really worth trying to save these lunatics and psychopaths that are damned and determined to kill each other?

Either way though I'd approve of the high :yokotaro: levels that would inevitably be present.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ManSedan posted:

I still don’t know if it’s weirder that we got a Drakengard 3 or a Nier 2.

Drakengard 3 getting made is weirder than Nier 2 getting made, but Nier 2 being a resounding critical and financial success is even weirder than either of those

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The fact that Nier 2 is pretty much standalone without any Nier 1 knowledge helps a lot.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
People have argued with me on this but I honestly don't think it is standalone. You could play it that way, sure, but several plot points will sail over your head without you even knowing and a lot of events won't have their maximum impact. You'll understand most of it but it's a somewhat inferior experience.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It's kinda like how people say VLR is playable without playing 999 first. Yeah, it technically is, but you REALLY should at least know the gist of the first game.

I'm still sorta bitter about that :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, androids are just machines. Well, the futile struggle to save humanity makes sense. Machines are always doing futile things.

• Locked thread