Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, Joseph clearly has memory problems, and it’s unclear whether it’s because of his own experimentation, because of the curse itself, or simply because the human brain is not designed to retain two thousand years of information. Whatever the case, it makes his immortality significantly more hellish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Alder posted:

Sorry, google told me immortality would be cool.

Even perfect immortality, where you suffer nothing directly, sucks rear end because everyone around will die first. There's no end of media discussing that particular problem. But again, we fall back to the physical and mental issues as previously discussed.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Even perfect immortality, where you suffer nothing directly, sucks rear end because everyone around will die first. There's no end of media discussing that particular problem. But again, we fall back to the physical and mental issues as previously discussed.
The immortality in Touhou handles it pretty well. There's three truly immortal characters(Eiren, Mokou, and Kaguya); their existence is outside the realm of our world at this point, they can die but simply pop back as if nothing happened shortly after, even if the world were to end, they'd still continue on in the dust of space, constantly dying and reviving. But their memories get overwritten as time goes on, as you can only remember so much, so they're doomed to forget things eventually unless they remind themselves.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I think it goes deeper than just memory problems. I'm pretty sure Alice has called him blurry to look at in the anime by now. Also, Chapter 33 and the creepiest panel in this manga. I'm curious to see where his story goes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh, right, duh, how could I forget. Akatsuki no Yona deals with immortality real well too. It's also an incredibly good series in general.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh, right, duh, how could I forget. Akatsuki no Yona deals with immortality real well too. It's also an incredibly good series in general.

Did you just spoil a plot element that wasn't in the first season? Arghhh.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Alder posted:

Sorry, google told me immortality would be cool.

Immortality is only cool if you have the option of offing yourself. Joseph's immortality is obviously pretty hellish if he's perpetually in pain, but the Casshern Sins kind of immortality would still really suck too - he can feel the pain of physical damage, but will always heal back to 100%, and is unable to die.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

There Bias Two posted:

Did you just spoil a plot element that wasn't in the first season? Arghhh.

I guess. At this point it's been a thing for years in the manga. Will they make more of the anime, I felt like it would be a one and done thing like a lot of series's adaptations.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
So like, this adaptation is visually gorgeous, the audio is incredibly good, and the base material is fantastic and I love it. After my previous musing and this episode I got to thinking like

There's just something off. The timing of things, the slavish adherence to the base material like with the goofs (which work far better in manga form than they do animated here,) and the overall direction just seems... weirdly sub-par? Most things they get completely spot on but it doesn't completely hit the mark. It's the weirdest problem I've ever had with an adaptation because I can't quite put my finger on it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

So like, this adaptation is visually gorgeous, the audio is incredibly good, and the base material is fantastic and I love it. After my previous musing and this episode I got to thinking like

There's just something off. The timing of things, the slavish adherence to the base material like with the goofs (which work far better in manga form than they do animated here,) and the overall direction just seems... weirdly sub-par? Most things they get completely spot on but it doesn't completely hit the mark. It's the weirdest problem I've ever had with an adaptation because I can't quite put my finger on it.

Some earlier posters hit the nail on the head I think by saying it's too faithful of an adaptation. The pacing/order of scenes and especially the shifts between detailed and chibi style are done just as they are in the manga, which doesn't work as well in an animated medium.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Genocyber posted:

Some earlier posters hit the nail on the head I think by saying it's too faithful of an adaptation. The pacing/order of scenes and especially the shifts between detailed and chibi style are done just as they are in the manga, which doesn't work as well in an animated medium.

Yeah, this. Even though I have not read the manga the little breaks into chibi style actually feel like panel breaks in a manga, just not in a good way. :(

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I like the chibi breaks. Keeps it from getting too serious.

Except for the parts that are supposed to be serious.

In this episode, we meet Best Succubus.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I like the breaks as well. Perhaps that breaks the immersion for some, but I think it's cute.

I'm still having trouble getting a sense of both Elias and Chise's personalities though. Chise says she's selfish, but really she's selfless to the point of self-destruction. Elias says his emotions are just a facade to make himself less alien, but clearly he cares for Chise, or at least behaves that way.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

There Bias Two posted:

I like the breaks as well. Perhaps that breaks the immersion for some, but I think it's cute.

I'm still having trouble getting a sense of both Elias and Chise's personalities though. Chise says she's selfish, but really she's selfless to the point of self-destruction. Elias says his emotions are just a facade to make himself less alien, but clearly he cares for Chise, or at least behaves that way.

Broken people not good judges of their own character, news at 11

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Silky with the hammer was the best moment in the episode imo.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

3rding the pro-chibi breaks. This show would be waaay too full of itself without them.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

is there a reason chise doesn't/can't/isn't allowed to buy gifts for silky?

also why silky doesn't talk

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

She's a brownie.

She can talk per the manga, but I guess she chooses not to speak to most people.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
She's actually a silky, which is like a subset of brownie that wears (you guessed it) silks. It's not her name, but they use it like her name too which seems to be pretty common in this series where most of the fae don't seem to have names of their own.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
You'll notice in the early episodes they mention that her name is Silver, though yeah they generally just refer to her as Silky.

There is actually a whole chapter devoted to her in the manga, I hope they reproduce it (They probably will).

Also, goddamn I can't wait for them to release the OST. The music in this show is incredible.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Tarezax posted:

Broken people not good judges of their own character, news at 11

For instance, Chise thought the emotion she should have been feeling before the hammer scene was fear...

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The comedy breaks are fine on their own and might be good post credit shorts, but they interrupt very serious scenes way too much and thus detract from their emotional weight.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

ViggyNash posted:

The comedy breaks are fine on their own and might be good post credit shorts, but they interrupt very serious scenes way too much and thus detract from their emotional weight.

Eh, this show has enough emotional weight as it is. It'd be drowning in its own self-seriousness otherwise.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Levity is no bad thing. This particular method of injecting that necessary levity, though, is pretty inept, and suggests the director doesn’t really get adaptive storytelling.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
So there was a bit in this latest episode that I'm not sure I interpreted correctly (or even that there was anything there to interpret at all)...

When Chise enters Elias's room they are in his bed, and talking. And it switches to him prostrate over her, drooling? And then she wakes up on his bed, alone, and then takes a bath.

Am I utterly wrong in interpreting that as some kind of sexual encounter? I am, aren't I?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

There Bias Two posted:

Chise says she's selfish, but really she's selfless to the point of self-destruction.

Her belief in the former is the cause of the latter.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

superLINUS posted:

So there was a bit in this latest episode that I'm not sure I interpreted correctly (or even that there was anything there to interpret at all)...

When Chise enters Elias's room they are in his bed, and talking. And it switches to him prostrate over her, drooling? And then she wakes up on his bed, alone, and then takes a bath.

Am I utterly wrong in interpreting that as some kind of sexual encounter? I am, aren't I?

I think it's meant to be evocative of physical abuse, not necessarily something sexual. Elias says he has trouble controlling his body's actions and that's why he's locked himself up, and the moment Chise enters the room he is moments away from attacking her. When she's lying in bed with him slavering over her, she thinks to herself that the reason she's able to handle being in such a situation is because she's "cursed", and it cuts to a flashback of her mother on top of her, strangling her. She's staring up at this death-mask that's salivating at the thought of taking her life and she's like "somehow I'm used to this"

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Cephas posted:

I think it's meant to be evocative of physical abuse, not necessarily something sexual. Elias says he has trouble controlling his body's actions and that's why he's locked himself up, and the moment Chise enters the room he is moments away from attacking her. When she's lying in bed with him slavering over her, she thinks to herself that the reason she's able to handle being in such a situation is because she's "cursed", and it cuts to a flashback of her mother on top of her, strangling her. She's staring up at this death-mask that's salivating at the thought of taking her life and she's like "somehow I'm used to this"

Geeze that was so quick I had to pause it and go back to notice the switch.

superLINUS posted:

I think she was just bathing because he was drooling on her (because he was about to eat her, I think).

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Yeah, he was contemplating eating her.

I appreciate that this series could go to really perverted places if the writing was lazy, but it always subverts expectations. See: the first five or six pages of this thread.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
I don't think it's implied that anything untoward actually happened; just came very close, which is a large part of why Elias leaves for the forest. Chise's knowing what almost happened and somehow being OK with it is yet another window into her broken mind.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
That's a solid reading. This series is fascinating!

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Labes for days posted:

what would a 5 million dollar meal taste like

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

where the red fern gropes posted:

Regret.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

where the red fern gropes posted:

ham of despair

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Labes for days posted:

I appreciate that this series could go to really perverted places if the writing was lazy, but it always subverts expectations. See: the first five or six pages of this thread.

Yeah, I've been catching up and enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would.

Though, I know Japan likes random biblical references with no deeper meaning, but the Wandering Jew was kind of a weird one.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

Yeah, I've been catching up and enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would.

Though, I know Japan likes random biblical references with no deeper meaning, but the Wandering Jew was kind of a weird one.

It's part of the show doing a "treating all myths/religion/folklore as true" thing. You got Japanese Yokai, Celtic faeries, English spirits, and all other sorts of creatures wandering the world. In a world with real magic, Jesus Christ got up to some pretty crazy poo poo.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

There wasn't really much to say about this episode. It certainly doesn't hold up as a self-contained segment in any way, but maybe it will come together in the next episode.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

There wasn't really much to say about this episode. It certainly doesn't hold up as a self-contained segment in any way, but maybe it will come together in the next episode.

it's definitely a 2-parter, going from the manga.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Does Mitsuishi Kotono playing all these motherly characters late in her career retroactively reflect her being accurately cast as the ubermother in Sailor Moon, or is it just a natural side effect of being an aging voice actress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Tiny Elias. :3: