Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Having lived a life filled with despair, 15-year old Chise Hattori sells herself into slavery in the hopes of finding a home. But after a chance encounter with the mage Elias Ainsworth she finds much more than that, becoming both his apprentice and potential future-bride, and encounters myriad magical entities, both fantastic and dangerous.

The manga has some really gorgeous artwork:

And the currently-airing anime, by Wit Studio (Attack on Titan, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress), looks to be doing a fantastic job of adapting that:

Main Cast

Chise Hattori (CV: Atsumi Tanezaki)
The protagonist. As a "Slay Vega" she naturally attracts beings of fantastical origin and this has led her to suffer much in her young life. Fairly quiet but can be surprisingly forceful.

Elias Ainsworth (CV: Ryouta Takeuchi)
The...love interest? Purchases Chise at a slave auction and promises to make her his apprentice and future bride. Has an ominous appearance but can be quite childish at times.

Silky (CV: Aya Endou)
The caretaker of Elias' estate. A fae creature that does housework in exchange for gifts.

The manga is officially localized by Seven Seas Entertainment and is available on Amazon as well as other retailers.

The anime is currently airing and is available for streaming on Crunchyroll. (There are also three prequel OVAs available. They have some light context/character spoilers for later on but if you're feeling iffy in the show's premise they may bring you around.)

Spoiler Policy
Since the manga is still on-going please spoiler tag anything not yet shown in the anime.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing I should mention for people put off by the premise is that (very mild future spoiler) Elias is an ancient, alien, and rather naïve monster with virtually zero idea of how marriage or romance works, so him picking up a teenage girl as a bride is far less predatory than it sounds. Chose is basically living with a friendlier, better-dressed Cthulhu.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
thanks for posting that spoiler because that was the one big issue i had aftear seeing this up on Crunchy and reading the premise

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RottenK posted:

thanks for posting that spoiler because that was the one big issue i had aftear seeing this up on Crunchy and reading the premise

Yeah, his thought-process is basically as follows:

1. I want to be more human.
2. Humans fall in love and get married.
3. To be married, I need a human female as a bride.
4. I have purchased a human female.
5. Oh poo poo I have no idea what the next step is supposed to be.

The rest of the story proceeds from there.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that in the OP. I can't stand that creepy exploitative stuff and thankfully this property has none of it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I completely forgot some of the extremely weird things Elias says early on.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It's a quiet, melancholy yet hopeful story of magic and wonder that starts with some human trafficking.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I only really read a few chapters of this when it came out, but it's not really about some beauty and the beast romance thing as much as it is a silly narrative excuse to have the viewpoint protagonist get involved in the strange alien world of spirits and fairytales.
The stuff I remember was pretty decent.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So crunchyroll has like 3 episodes named Part 1-3 listed before episode 1. Are those a prequel/required viewing or am I good just start the new stuff?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So crunchyroll has like 3 episodes named Part 1-3 listed before episode 1. Are those a prequel/required viewing or am I good just start the new stuff?

Those are prequel OVAs and you don't need to watch them to understand the series proper. They're meant to be watched with context from the main series.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Genocyber posted:

Those are prequel OVAs and you don't need to watch them to understand the series proper. They're meant to be watched with context from the main series.

That's a weird order to put thing out.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The OVAs are nice. Watch them if you don't mind getting briefly introduced to a few characters you're going to meet this season (who are already in the OP) before it delves into the prequel story stuff.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Just binged on the available chapters and loving it so far. Glad I saw this thread!

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I really don't like the occasional chibification of Elias's awesome skull, it kind of undercuts the whole deadpan, doesn't-know-he's-being-strange effect of those moments and clashes with the beauty of everything else on screen.

Genocyber posted:

(There are also three prequel OVAs available that I recommend holding off on until the anime finishes airing.)

Oops. I guess it did somewhat ruin the tension of the first half of the episode, but hopefully it won't spoil any big moments or anything for me going forward. The high quality of the OVAs did convince me to watch the anime at least, over any ickiness I might have felt at a naive interpretation of the apparent slave-wife premise.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

She sells herself into slavery? That's incredibly dumb.

The anime looks beautiful and I like magical things, but I can't get past the somewhat creepy premise and stupid character choices.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I thought the source of this was a shoujo, so all of that I just shrugged off like meh w/e.

It does feel like more will be explained later, and would have been too much for 1 intro episode.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Having read the manga up to the current chapter, nothing creepy happens. Your fears are unfounded.

And I don't see anything wrong with that origin story? I don't remember how early they explain it but she has an in-character reasoning.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

I thought the source of this was a shoujo, so all of that I just shrugged off like meh w/e.

I believe the manga runs in a shounen magazine so the target demographic is boys/young men. But it does feel more shoujo-ey.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Mangaka is a woman so that could explain some of the personality of the work.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Hargrimm posted:

I really don't like the occasional chibification of Elias's awesome skull, it kind of undercuts the whole deadpan, doesn't-know-he's-being-strange effect of those moments and clashes with the beauty of everything else on screen.

I like it because he looks like Snoopy when it happens

This show is pretty neat so far. It's got that sorta warm leisurely feel that a lot of good slice of life stuff does while also having a creeping bit of darkness at the margins that keeps things taught enough to stop it from being a total snooze like said slice of life shows. Also it's very pretty.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

HellCopter posted:

Having read the manga up to the current chapter, nothing creepy happens. Your fears are unfounded.

And I don't see anything wrong with that origin story? I don't remember how early they explain it but she has an in-character reasoning.

TBF his giving her a tracking device without telling her was kind of creepy.
Though she evidently needed it. WTF girl, "Oh, I'll just follow the fairies into the woods", have you never read a goddamn book?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ccs posted:

She sells herself into slavery? That's incredibly dumb.

The anime looks beautiful and I like magical things, but I can't get past the somewhat creepy premise and stupid character choices.

The_White_Crane posted:

TBF his giving her a tracking device without telling her was kind of creepy.
Though she evidently needed it. WTF girl, "Oh, I'll just follow the fairies into the woods", have you never read a goddamn book?

Most of her decisions are consistent with someone who's not quite actively suicidal, but is self-destructing pretty deliberately. Apparently, being a fairy magnet hasn't worked out too well for her.

Also, voluntarily entering into indentured servitude was an actual, historical thing. Still kind of is in regulation-light markets.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

As one Pavlov falls, another must rise to take his place. Therefore it falls to me to denounce the show as gross and exploitative.

actually it is cool and good, but wow that first half would be a hard sell to someone unfamiliar with the manga and disinclined to wait it out

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, his thought-process is basically as follows:

1. I want to be more human.
2. Humans fall in love and get married.
3. To be married, I need a human female as a bride.
4. I have purchased a human female.
5. Oh poo poo I have no idea what the next step is supposed to be.

The rest of the story proceeds from there.

This reminds me of the old profit meme except that he has no idea what he was accomplishing or if he even did it.

Hargrimm posted:

I'm usually that guy but in this case I actually liked its inclusion. It's a good reminder that this is supposed to be a fairly lighthearted story. In a more meta sense, I think it's a good way to get people to calm down about the premise.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Elias also has a deer skull for a head, and bare skulls aren't much known for expressions beyond grinning. The goofy face helps the artist more easily convey other moods.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Elias is secretly a moe character

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AnacondaHL posted:

It does feel like more will be explained later, and would have been too much for 1 intro episode.
I mean, Yona of the dawn is a shojo. You shouldn't write off good series just because of the genre they publish in.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason for the OVA's was a "Trust us we know where we are going with this premise" for those who find the mentor/student relationship exploitative (for very good reasons) and/or overused (It is a romance, not just shoujo, staple).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, unfortunately the quick description of the series paired with anime's penchant for unsettling and uncomfortable situations like that do this series a huge disservice. Once you get to learn about Elias more you can 100% see how this situation ended up happening.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Captain Invictus posted:

I mean, Yona of the dawn is a shojo. You shouldn't write off good series just because of the genre they publish in.

You misread me, I'm not shrugging off the series because it's a shoujo, I'm shrugged off the portions of the premise that I personally found questionable because I thought this was a shoujo and thus I thought I was not part of the intended/target demographic.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AnacondaHL posted:

You misread me, I'm not shrugging off the series because it's a shoujo, I'm shrugged off the portions of the premise that I personally found questionable because I thought this was a shoujo and thus I thought I was not part of the intended/target demographic.
Gotcha, though I said that because there's a surprising amount of people who will turn away from good series based solely on genre, like I know someone who won't read My Hero Academia or Fullmetal Alchemist because they're shonen, and they got burned by naruto and bleach so now all shonen is bad.

Anyways, I recommend reading the manga if you can. The artwork is often quite beautiful, even if the human characters can be a bit samefaced at times(the scientists are the worst offenders of this). The two-page spreads are really something, as shown.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tarezax posted:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tarezax posted:

To be clear, this is not a joke. This is an actual statement of fact.

Superhero moe is out, skeleton moe is in.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Didn't realize I wasn't supposed to watch the OVA before the series, ideally, so I did both yesterday. The whole ho hum I guess I'll just sell myself into slavery thing felt a little too out of the blue to take seriously but I'll roll with it because the OVA was interesting enough to keep me watching.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Martytoof posted:

Didn't realize I wasn't supposed to watch the OVA before the series, ideally, so I did both yesterday. The whole ho hum I guess I'll just sell myself into slavery thing felt a little too out of the blue to take seriously but I'll roll with it because the OVA was interesting enough to keep me watching.
I've not watched the OVA, how do they treat it? Because the manga made it out to be more "I am suicidal and want to die, maybe if I sell myself into slavery someone can find a use for me or maybe someone will care about me at all"

definitely portrayed in a good "irrational thinking of a mentally disturbed and suicidal person" way

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The OVA is a story about Chise's childhood and how incredibly lovely it was. It basically exists to show exactly how deep her depression went. Nothing good ever lasted long for young Chise.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Everyone should watch the OVA, it's really well done and helps contextualize Chise's mindset at the beginning of the show.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

:words: that I don't know how much to spoiler

The OVA doesn't address the opening scene in episode one at all but it does help set the back story. The first episode doesn't do a good job of making her seem suicidal or anything at all (at least it didn't on first watch), it just kind of jumps into random girl selling herself into slavery with no context which I would find very confusing if I hadn't watched the OVA.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Everyone should watch the OVA, it's really well done and helps contextualize Chise's mindset at the beginning of the show.

Yeah, this is what I kind of wanted to articulate.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
tbh I never felt like I needed more explanation for Chise's history. Her surprise at being cared for and respected and the dark circles and bags under eyes quickly painted someone with a history of depression and trauma who is just at the end of her loving rope that she sells herself to slavery cause at least she'll be useful and hopefully fed regularly and I felt satisfied with that.

I'll probably check out the OVAs down the road, but yeah I personally didn't feel I needed any more context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I've not watched the OVA, how do they treat it? Because the manga made it out to be more "I am suicidal and want to die, maybe if I sell myself into slavery someone can find a use for me or maybe someone will care about me at all"

definitely portrayed in a good "irrational thinking of a mentally disturbed and suicidal person" way

lol, that's about why i joined the military