Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Overcapping everything almost always seems to result in you needing to overhaul your whole character or get lucky with green drops. I could do that on my Dawnguard Warder but that would negate the whole point of it since I'd have to remove at least one piece of it.

Though it seems that character is also not good enough for the Ultimate Expansion, so I guess I have to anyway if I want to keep using her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone have a Mage Hunter build that makes use of Trozan's Sky Shard and Rune Of Haggar Hagaarad?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
Oh sweet, it looks like Blackmage Yapo and Agent355 are making a Let's Play for Grim Dawn. Check out their thread and give them some props: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842560

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Sword + board Commando with high block %, Torgo's hammer, and canister bomb is working out way better than I could have predicted given how slow it was early game.

Orbiting hammers spawn magically from my rear end while I throw out high explosives and tank hits from 20 foot trolls as if they were Calista Flockhart.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Kheldarn posted:

Anyone have a Mage Hunter build that makes use of Trozan's Sky Shard and Rune Of Haggar Hagaarad?

A friend and I have been trying like crazy to make Rune of Looks Cool work, but it just doesn't. The cast range is too short, the arming delay is too long and the trigger range is too small. Plus, there's no gear to support the skill. There's plenty of strong Trozan's builds out there, but not with Rune of Haghagahgah

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The Mash posted:

A friend and I have been trying like crazy to make Rune of Looks Cool work, but it just doesn't. The cast range is too short, the arming delay is too long and the trigger range is too small. Plus, there's no gear to support the skill. There's plenty of strong Trozan's builds out there, but not with Rune of Haghagahgah

Aw. That makes Mike sad.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Don't listen to Mash. He only plays in a 3 person multiplayer group just to speedfarm this game, Rune of hargaard is really good. It shotguns on large enemies, Does equal damage to skyshards for less points, And all of the things mash is complaining about doesn't matter in single player. It also has gear, it's just mixed elemental inquisitor stuff or cold with nightblade, not with cold arcanist.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

:vince:

No wonder he was being such a jerk.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Stokes posted:

420 Physical damage :420:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Stokes posted:

How does that affect your build? +2 enough to branch into Shadow Strike?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

ssmagus posted:

Don't listen to Mash. He only plays in a 3 person multiplayer group just to speedfarm this game, Rune of hargaard is really good. It shotguns on large enemies, Does equal damage to skyshards for less points, And all of the things mash is complaining about doesn't matter in single player. It also has gear, it's just mixed elemental inquisitor stuff or cold with nightblade, not with cold arcanist.

The DA reduction on it is huge, too. And the buffed Artifact Handling skill can get its damage pretty drat high.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Justin_Brett posted:

How does that affect your build? +2 enough to branch into Shadow Strike?

Yes. Shadow Strike is at 8, which is one point under the equivalent of Spectral Strike. Switching to Scourge and adding Scourge Strike is a good trade off.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

ssmagus posted:

Err, what? This is just not true. I have an Inquisitor/Occultist elemental caster that I play solo in the campaign, and I've specced out of Rune of H because Word of Pain was getting the same job done a lot more effectively. I've also got a friend who plays NB/Inquisitor and even with top of the line cold damage gear, the skill is just too clunky relative to the damage it does.

It's a bad skill that looks good. That's it. Sure, it can clear mobs, but so can other things, better. Word of Pain can clear all of Ultimate as a main damage spell, so it's not like Inquisitors are forced to make the rune work.

E: When I say the skill doesn't have gear, I mean that it has basically no item skill modifiers available across MIs or legendaries.

Here's what Rune of Hagarrad has:
+60 Cold damage (main hand)
+80 Pierce damage (main hand)
+30% Crit damage (caster off-hand)
+80 Cold damage (Amulet)
+100 Elemental damage (Amulet)
+70 Vitality damage and 100% Vit conversion (Amulet)

The problem is that none of these modify the way the skill works. It doesn't stop being slow and clunky because you put another 200 cold damage on top of the 277 cold and 240 piercing base damage on the maxed skill (best case scenario for a dual-wielder).

By comparison, Word of Pain does 278 elemental damage per tick, covers the whole screen, does damage basically instantly upon cast, and also impairs aim by 30% and reduces pierce, aether and chaos resist.

And it has the following modifications available to it, some of which actually improve the mechanics of the spell rather than just the damage:
-20% Elemental resistance (set)
-8% Elemental resistance (main hand)
-30% Total speed (main hand)
-15% Vitality resistance (main hand)
-10% Elemental resistance (amulet)
-50 DA (medal)
40 Elemental damage and -10% Total speed (medal)
-50 OA (amulet)

Don't take this as me saying that Word of Pain is a great skill or always the best choice for everything. It's just an example of many available (Storm Box, Blade Spirit, half of Demolitionist, etc. etc.) of better AoE skills that also have better avenues for improvement available to them.

That's my problem with Rune of Hagarrad: It starts out clunky and cannot be made unclunky through gear. Even if it literally one-shot everything, it would still be annoying to use. And please trust that I actually have tried to make it work in single player too. I spent years playing Frozen Orb builds in D2 and have tried very hard to make the rune work, because it's the closest we'll get in GD, but it just doesn't.

The Mash fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Dec 5, 2017

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
And some people would to play the game by filling up the screen with explosions, then just going, "Oh, I've put WOP and COF on the whole screen, what else do i do?"

Don't just say things are bad because you can only see things as "Max optimised is the only way to play". Also you've had some math mistakes:

Lets compare it to WOP, like you said. 277 cold and 240 piercing base damage for 16 points, this can hit up to five times for 2585 damage in total with a delay of 1.5 secs, has a CD of 4 sec, giving a total time for 1.5 secs for first cast and 5.5 secs for second cast. Second casts skill completely. VS Word of Pain, doing it's damage math correctly makes it do 470 elemental damage per tick, Ticks for 8 seconds for 3766 damage in total, does damage with no delay, and impairs aim by 30% and reduces pierce, aether and chaos resist. Second cast just re-adds base damage.

Hmm, seem fair to add an extra 24 skill points for your total, Lets add the missing 24 points on to ROH.

ROH now does 475 Pierce, 548 Cold, reduces Attack speed by 32% for 5 seconds, Lowers enemy DA by 240 for 5 seconds, 768 Frostburn for 3 secs, 43% chance to freeze for 2 secs, and can up to hit 8 times for 8184 base + 2304 frostburn.

They both have the about the same radius, so that is ignored. ROH can miss fast enemies if you place it badly, WOP will never miss. Winner, WOP.

Vs a bunch of small targets, WOP does 940 damage to every enemy after 2 secs, More if you have a crap ton of cast speed and dump your mana. ROH does 1791 damage to each target after 2 secs. These will both kill most trash, leaving heroes alive. After four secs, WOP does 1880 damage to every enemy, more with cast speed, ROH just gains more frostburn and thus does 3327 damage. At 6 secs, WOP has done 2820 base damage.
ROH now gets it's second cast off, doing another 1791 damage for 5118 damage in total. ROH wins damage wise massively if things don't die after 1 or so seconds.

Vs A big scary slow boss like Theodin. WOP does 940 damage after 2 secs, ROH hits, lets say, 5 times? It does 5883 damage at this point. There is no point in trying to compare them damage wise anymore. ROH wins.

Now lets see how they stack up utility wise, WOP reduces resists, none of this resist reduction applies to its self. It also gives 30% reduced aim. ROH gives 240 less DA, 32% reduce attack speed and 43% freeze chance. WOP gives some extra survive vs ranged, adds damage to other skills. ROH makes enemies get crit more, weakens melee enemies you should be kiting anyway and Freezes them, but everything and their dog is immune to Freeze. Winner is WOP.

Rune of Hagarrad is designed to be a massive boss nuking skill with trash clearing on the side, not a trash clearing skill. WOP is designed to be a trash clearing skill with support on the side.

Like you said, there are better skills for trash clearing, But nothing else in the game for casters comes close to the sheer damage ROH does to bosses. Well, except the skills with Weapon damage%. They do way more damage than anything else.

I'm not going to bother with skill modifiers from gear right now, tired from posting this.

ssmagus fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 5, 2017

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

You can get big numbers with drat near any skill if you set things up correctly, maybe not The Biggest Numbers, but certainly big enough.

I like the Rune spells for what they are, but they certainly don't cater to every play style, and you have to get comfortable with the way they work. I'd certainly never build a character solely around them, and I probably wouldn't bother with them on a character I intended to be extremely mobile, since I have better things to do at that point than set up the perfect minefield.

But I like being able to drop a fire-and-forget rune on a group of pesky archers or a boss I'm facetanking to kill it even faster or a group of mobs coming at me from a direction I just can't deal with right now.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
The real reason runes are rad is that you’re using harsh language to kill people.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Pvt.Scott posted:

The real reason runes are rad is that you’re using harsh language to kill people.

I made a character that uses Word of Pain and Word of Power to kill everything, with Word of Renewal for support. I named her Valkyr Prime. :buddy:

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Jabarto posted:

I made a character that uses Word of Pain and Word of Power to kill everything, with Word of Renewal for support. I named her Valkyr Prime. :buddy:

True story bro. I was amused! :)

Regarding skill x vs. skill y: try different things out and pick what fits your tastes mechanically and aesthetically. Remember, if you don't like something, you can always spec out of it.

Personally, I'm a fan of incorporating as many "fire and forget" skills as possible (usually tied to proccing devotions), as long as it doesn't detract for my main damage dealer skill and I have enough room on my hotkey bar.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Stokes posted:

Grats man. I know you've been trying to get that!

For the record, Stokes plays 100% legitimately and only plays HC.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Got my first recipe for my endgame gear and whipped that up. Also hit revered on three factions within a few minutes of each other. Feels good man.

Hoping to at least hit 80 by the end of my elite run, but with the slower leveling rate we'll see.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

A new question for people to argue about!

In the 1.0.3.0 patch notes is this:

Added missing quest resolution for keeping Hargate's Notes (as opposed to giving them to Kasparov). Take a look around the Fleshworks!

I ain't found poo poo! Anyone here manage to find whatever it is?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Just got the Dark One's Gift set (thanks Jabarto!) and so I have made an attempt at a Bloody Pox/Ravenous Earth cabalist: http://www.grimtools.com/calc/M2gW83O2

The basic idea is pretty simple: Between BP and RE you should be popping off enough attacks to repeatedly trigger all of your poo poo that triggers off attacks and should have enough OA to be getting plenty of crits for those effects to go off regularly too. There's plenty of -attack speed% and -damage% debuffs so you should be okay, and there's a good chunk of healing trigger and damage>health riders to keep you alive, plus stuns/knockdown/confusion to keep packs of enemies and boss adds busy. I went for Time Dilation because on Doom Bolt it lets you drop two bolts at once, which is stupid fun. Plus you've got enough <6 second cooldowns that being able to clear them all at once is drat handy.

I haven't tried it out yet because I still need a few pieces of the gear list; maybe someone who has them all can try it and post a trip report. Dahbadu, you can add this to the OP if you like.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Where are these lost witches in the swamps? I feel like I pushed past where I ought to have discovered them, because I'm bumping into quest items, NPC's and boss monsters that I don't have a quest for yet.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Where are these lost witches in the swamps? I feel like I pushed past where I ought to have discovered them, because I'm bumping into quest items, NPC's and boss monsters that I don't have a quest for yet.
They're in the expansion content, one of the first groups you meet. If you haven't hit ugdenbog, you haven't gone past them.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The latest Grim Misadventure is out.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Yawgmoth posted:

If you haven't hit ugdenbog, you haven't gone past them.

I have definitely gone past them.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Just a reminder to check out the goon LP that's going on: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842560

Seems like a new episode was released recently.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
My PC crashed and due to cloud saving totally hosed my game. Shared stash is gone and most of my crafting recipes are gone. I tried to load up either GD Stash and the trainer but I can't get either to work. Stash just crashes Java before it even loads and the train hard thing just gives me a "something went wrong" error. Uhgg..

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Polish posted:

My PC crashed and due to cloud saving totally hosed my game. Shared stash is gone and most of my crafting recipes are gone. I tried to load up either GD Stash and the trainer but I can't get either to work. Stash just crashes Java before it even loads and the train hard thing just gives me a "something went wrong" error. Uhgg..

If you were saving in the cloud, your stuff should still be there. Is cloud saving currently enabled?

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
It was but I disabled it because the game wasn't loading after the crash, so I screwed myself I guess. I re-enabled it but the damage was done by that point.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

There's two different save folders on your computer for cloud and non-cloud. You should backup both and then try to move the cloud files into the non cloud folder or vice versa to see if you can restore something.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
What's the deal with with the fps in this game? I turned everything off/low and it's gone from a literal slideshow in some areas to barely acceptable. I read some of the tips on the official forums and around the web, but they seem to have made no/little difference.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Have you done the standard stuff? update drivers/check for windows aero conflict/get a new potato?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

szary posted:

What's the deal with with the fps in this game? I turned everything off/low and it's gone from a literal slideshow in some areas to barely acceptable. I read some of the tips on the official forums and around the web, but they seem to have made no/little difference.

Have you tried running the game as administrator? Fixed my mates FPS issues, which were apparently due to his Razer headset drivers.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Thanks guys. I had my drivers up to date, but I switched aero off and ran the executable in administrator mode (I also have Razer headset drivers installed) and it's helped immensely, I still get some slowdown at the highest settings and turning on shadows on any detail kills my framerate completely, but it's playable now :)

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I've been grinding enemy rep trying for cheevos/warrants. I'm mostly done (the non-expansion) getting one of each warrant (and duping them with GDstash because gently caress) but the cthonion one is butts. The go-to nemesis spawn location thread has gently caress all for information on where he spawns and after checking the few poitns it does list 5-10 times I haven't seen him. Anybody have any better sources?

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
It can be anywhere in Act 3 blood grove, that portal in blood grove, I'm not sure if it can spawn in the darkvale town area, but it can in the dungeon, Tomb of Korvakk, Tomb of the watchers, Bastion of chaos, that portal in the plains. I think they are the only places.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

So was there any plot resolution in the expansion? I know its not a huge thing in ARPGs, but I really liked the setting in Grim Dawn. I know everything is still comparatively hosed, but was there any significance to killing the two big bads in the scope of world events?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I really disliked how the non-expansion ends on such a gently caress-you cliffhanger, the expansion feels alot more complete but still leaves alot left to be solved.

The world isn't about to turn back to normal and everything un-fucks itself, but at least it felt like something you could actually roll credits on.

Though really I'd be happier with like, 5 more expansions.

ssmagus posted:

It can be anywhere in Act 3 blood grove, that portal in blood grove, I'm not sure if it can spawn in the darkvale town area, but it can in the dungeon, Tomb of Korvakk, Tomb of the watchers, Bastion of chaos, that portal in the plains. I think they are the only places.

Alright cool, more to go on than the other info I had at least. I don't know which nemesis I'll actually end up grinding for loot, but I still want to find one of each warrant before I bother doing any of that.

I know fabius used to be the go-to nemesis grind because he was easier to find than the other ones. Do the expansion nemesis have the same drop tables as the old ones, or are they better to grind if you can hack the higher difficulty?

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I think it was a really bold stroke for the devs to include, what I can only now assume is a never-ending infinitely large and procedurally generated map like the Ugdenbog.