Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Camels are no joke.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDAmJQ0ofoc

ThingOne fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I agree that the Gerudo outfit is problematic. It's symptomatic of the typical Japanese view of homosexuality, which brought us things like Cho Aniki and the Honeybee Inn. However, as you noted, it's not played up too much. People that recognize you as a boy don't care, and those that don't see through it treat you like they'd treat any pretty lady. There's one amusing interaction there in the oasis, and all the way over at a stable there's another guy who reacts to the costume. It's the guy with the dog that tells you about Satori Mountain, who normally complains about how the stable is a total sausage-fest.

...Now I'm actually sort of curious exactly who all reacts to the costume outside the desert. I know there's a few people who refer to you as "young man" that it would make sense to change their dialogue.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I'm disappointed by your lack of talking to people while naked.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

SugarAddict posted:

I'm disappointed by your lack of talking to people while naked.
This is a huge deal.

Why didn't you talk to all the Gerudo while naked? I have a feeling they'd have the best reactions.

Mostly along the lines of, "He's so scrawny."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, personally I think Link's ambivalent about clothes generally. There's always exceptions though, like Wind Waker Link getting his birthday outfit but by and large I think Link cares about clothes just as much as the Saints Row Boss. Even less, possibly.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
There's actually 4 different gerudo ages, kiddo, early 20's, early 30's, loving ancient.

And yeah, japan has a really weird understanding about homosexuality and trans people, yet somehow more accepting than most western countries. It's obviously used as a stereotype punchline to jokes, but it rarely seems to be in a mean hearted way.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
If you had abs like the gerudo, you'd want to show them off too.

It feels like Girl abs are in vogue for video games all of a sudden.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

Dareon posted:

I agree that the Gerudo outfit is problematic. It's symptomatic of the typical Japanese view of homosexuality, which brought us things like Cho Aniki and the Honeybee Inn. However, as you noted, it's not played up too much. People that recognize you as a boy don't care, and those that don't see through it treat you like they'd treat any pretty lady. There's one amusing interaction there in the oasis, and all the way over at a stable there's another guy who reacts to the costume. It's the guy with the dog that tells you about Satori Mountain, who normally complains about how the stable is a total sausage-fest.

Nalesh posted:

And yeah, japan has a really weird understanding about homosexuality and trans people, yet somehow more accepting than most western countries. It's obviously used as a stereotype punchline to jokes, but it rarely seems to be in a mean hearted way.

Even as Japan's views on the matter are (probably) slowly changing, homosexuality and gender issues have often been relegated to comedy. It's a bit of a weird balance... no outright discrimination in most cases, but no recognition either. A lot of the difficulty activism faces is in being recognized as an activity one can even do. In a society where one differs from the norm too much, or just "stands out," you're more likely to have your issues ignored than attacked.

Different culture, different contexts, and given the Great Fairies I'm surprised the game is as tame as it's been so far. Even with the carpenter.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm irrationally annoyed by the camel beast walking by moving both legs on one side at a time.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm irrationally annoyed by the camel beast walking by moving both legs on one side at a time.

I'm really very happy they got this detail right! Camels are different from horses in that they have a lateral gait, which is why camel rides are much more bumpy than horse rides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt8nyvLsAp8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8hCFbeHFl4

In fact, all the gaits in this game seem to be on point, the horse movements look very realistic too.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Nothing unusual about finding realistic camels annoying.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
^^^ Also this.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm really very happy they got this detail right! Camels are different from horses in that they have a lateral gait, which is why camel rides are much more bumpy than horse rides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt8nyvLsAp8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8hCFbeHFl4

In fact, all the gaits in this game seem to be on point, the horse movements look very realistic too.

Well, I'll be damned.

And I was around camels a lot growing up, too. Mind you, we were usually shooting them for being an introduced species.

Nowadays, we just sell them back to the Middle East. Circle of life, etc.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, personally I think Link's ambivalent about clothes generally. There's always exceptions though, like Wind Waker Link getting his birthday outfit but by and large I think Link cares about clothes just as much as the Saints Row Boss. Even less, possibly.

Overall, Link is an MMO character. "This gives me a bonus to what? HECK YEAH I'LL WEAR A CHICKEN MASK! Will I get double if I wear two?"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

"A shield frozen in an eternal scream of horror? If it'll let me reflect sunlight then sure!"

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
"Boots made of literal iron? HELL YES."

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

"How does a bracelet help me lift things? Heck if I care, I'm chucking rocks the size of a goron with it!"

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
"On the downside, these boots have no traction whatsoever. On the upside, they'll stop me falling into pits and they look snazzy as gently caress."

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm just wondering how he's baseball swinging weapons that weigh more than he does without loving his back up.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
He has the Triforce of Courage; he's literally chosen by the gods, so I think it's safe to say he's not gonna have to worry about spine problems. Plus at least in Skyward Sword and BotW he's a trained knight, so he's gonna be pretty fit and skilled with his weapons.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dreadwroth posted:

I'm just wondering how he's baseball swinging weapons that weigh more than he does without loving his back up.

Hylians are basically elves and aside from being terrible in nearly every incarnation across all media, they're generally described as being stronger than humans.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Fashion is literally the most important part of any MMO

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The sooner games start copying Terraria letting you equip armor in cosmetic slots and also in actual armor slots the better.

Also have subtitles on by default dammit.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It feels like given how many Gerudo are okay with Link being in disguise, the women-only nature of the Gerudo Village serves a purpose that isn't strictly exclusionary. Like, it's a tradition, and if you can't even make an effort, just stay out.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I do actually appreciate how they deal with the whole Gerudo idea that there are only Gerudo females (And the rare Ganondorf) by having every Gerudo you meet out in the world be on the hunt for men they won't accidentally crush with their thighs.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single Gerudo in possession of a btichin abs must be in want of a husband."

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
It does create a very interesting social structure. I mean, working-age women are expected to leave for an indeterminate amount of time, perhaps several years, to wander the world and find a husband. It would explain why Gerudo are traders, because they still need to make enough scratch to live while on walkabout and then prosper once they have found a husband.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Lazy Bear posted:

It does create a very interesting social structure. I mean, working-age women are expected to leave for an indeterminate amount of time, perhaps several years, to wander the world and find a husband. It would explain why Gerudo are traders, because they still need to make enough scratch to live while on walkabout and then prosper once they have found a husband.

Question: If the town is women only... Where are these Gerudo keeping all these husbands? Is there some hidden suburb somewhere with a whole bunch of dudes just pining the days away while waiting for their Jojo's Bizarre Adventure looking wives to come back from town in some weird reverse version of the american 1950s?

Because seriously. Those abs are Jojo as gently caress.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
That's exactly what some of the Gerudo NPCs say: their husbands live somewhere outside the city. That place isn't actually in the game, though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Gerudo Guy Ghetto dlc when?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Before we turn back around and abandon them in favor of my own brain, let's meet the colorful and lively citizens of Gerudo Town and trade in illegal pants.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I couldn't help but notice that the Rito woman was disappointed the meat vendor didn't have any poultry

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
That poor lady. She's only eight feet tall! That's not too tall.

She's totally too good for that guy who rejected her!

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

liquidypoo posted:

I couldn't help but notice that the Rito woman was disappointed the meat vendor didn't have any poultry

I initially reacted to that with "Man, that's hosed up!", and then immediately remembered that peregrines routinely hunt and eat pigeons.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Reminder: Predatory birds will prey on other birds when possible.

I love the fact that each on the non-Hylian races have full villages, something that rarely occurred in past games, since it shows exactly why this Hyrule works well in a tabletop RPG style game.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

You can also bomb the rocks by the tower to knock them over.

I did not even know there was wind there, ha ha ha.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SystemLogoff posted:

You can also bomb the rocks by the tower to knock them over.

I did think they looked suspiciously like Dominoes...

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
You totally can Crynosis on quagmires. If you make a series of stepping stones from the...South? I think it's south, it's been so long since I did it. If you make a series of ice pillars there, then you can just jump from one to the next without worrying about being sucked into the bog.

Because quagmires are comprised of water, and everyone forgets about Crynosis.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Hey Thornbrain, a few videos ago you mentioned that you up the saturation (i think?) in post, and my wife wanted to know if you could do a side-by-side comparison to see the difference, if it's not too much hassle.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Thadius posted:

You totally can Crynosis on quagmires. If you make a series of stepping stones from the...South? I think it's south, it's been so long since I did it. If you make a series of ice pillars there, then you can just jump from one to the next without worrying about being sucked into the bog.

Because quagmires are comprised of water, and everyone forgets about Crynosis.
I feel so smart remembering Cyronis, then I forget it for puzzles explicitly expecting you to use it to lift gates. That one always gets me despite generally being the one thing everyone else remembers :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
My headcanon for the Gerudo's husbands is they live in villages/towns further out in the desert past the game's borders, and Gerudo Town was just a central trade/travel hub. The Gerudo meet there to trade or rest/resupply before moving onto whatever their next destination is.

• Locked thread