Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

poe meater posted:

Anyone know where the hell this red dot is? It seems to disappear on the ground and appears again when im on a hill or higher.

https://imgur.com/a/xFMUT

Synthbuttrange posted:

Look up. Its an rear end in a top hat. Go to the top of that ruined road ramp.

It's the goddamn worst sidequest in the game, holy poo poo I hate racing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok, Ending C down.

I assume Chapter 17 starts at the base of the tower. So it's do the whole tower again if I want ending D?

So if I don't choose a chapter does it start me on Chapter 1 automatically or is that another fakeout? I'm so sick of that stupid factory I don't even want to waste the 5 minutes to find out

Also, nothing makes sense and everybody's motivations are utterly inscrutable.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Chapters are broken up. You can skip right to the choice at the end and finish up the endings very quickly.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Literally click the buttons on the menu and get the endings dude. You're done.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok, Ending C down.

I assume Chapter 17 starts at the base of the tower. So it's do the whole tower again if I want ending D?

So if I don't choose a chapter does it start me on Chapter 1 automatically or is that another fakeout? I'm so sick of that stupid factory I don't even want to waste the 5 minutes to find out

Also, nothing makes sense and everybody's motivations are utterly inscrutable.

The only thing you have to do again for Ending D is the final fight.

E has some other requirements that you may need to go back to previous chapters to fulfill. Don't mind this.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 6, 2017

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
There are requirements for Ending E :confused:

I just did Ending D and got the prompt from Pod to do the thing, and did it.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Samuringa posted:

There are requirements for Ending E :confused:

I just did Ending D and got the prompt from Pod to do the thing, and did it.

I think the only requirement is Finish D with C already completed

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Right, sorry, I'm thinking about the ending to the other thing.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Speaking of Ending E, is it still possible to get assistance on the credit scroll game? From what I can tell, once you die enough you get prompted to ask for help from another person, and I can't get that to appear despite being really bad at bullet hell games. Is there any solution other than gitting gud?

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

connect to the internet

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Got endings D and E.

So it YoRHa's existence tied into some kind of metaplot where they were designed by Yoko Taro and Square-Enix for the strict purpose of dying and creating emotional gravitas? Was that the point of the credits being the defense system? Because otherwise YoRHa is underpants gnomes with no profit.

Also,

I gave up my save data without a second thought. I was in it for the roller coaster not the gameplay. Once that was done so was I.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ChrisBTY posted:

So it YoRHa's existence tied into some kind of metaplot where they were designed by Yoko Taro and Square-Enix for the strict purpose of dying and creating emotional gravitas? Was that the point of the credits being the defense system?

Sort of. Just like how the pods can only save the androids by breaking their predefined limits and rising above their role as the Greek chorus, you, the player, can only save the androids by breaking the predefined limits of the game, interacting with and attacking something that was never meant to be touched.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

So one thing I'm confused about post game is how did 9s retain his memories after 'dying' and then uploading himself into the machine after ending a/b? He purposefully never uploaded himself to the bunker, which is the entire reason they dont get hosed by the logic virus. His body was obviously hosed after the fight so how the hell did he go from 9S->Machine->Bunker both retaining his memories and not being hosed like all the other Yorha?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

Got endings D and E.

So it YoRHa's existence tied into some kind of metaplot where they were designed by Yoko Taro and Square-Enix for the strict purpose of dying and creating emotional gravitas? Was that the point of the credits being the defense system? Because otherwise YoRHa is underpants gnomes with no profit.

Also,

I gave up my save data without a second thought. I was in it for the roller coaster not the gameplay. Once that was done so was I.

YoRHa had served it's purpose and was purposefully destroyed through the backdoor, ostensibly to be replaced by a new "YoRHa" or something similar, thus repeating the process over again. The point of YoRHa is to perpetuate a lie to the actual androids on earth that there is still something to fight for, otherwise they would realize the whole thing would be for moot and... stop fighting? Theoretically, this cycle could have happened a ton of times before the start of the game, but we don't really know.

The whole point is that Androids, YoRHa, and machines entire existence is centered around a perpetual cycle of death and violence, which make them all far more human than they realize. It isn't until ending E, where the pods gain their own will, that they break this cycle and keep the memories of 9s, 2b and A2 alive and the truth of what happened to the humans gets out to the androids.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Paul Zuvella posted:

So one thing I'm confused about post game is how did 9s retain his memories after 'dying' and then uploading himself into the machine after ending a/b? He purposefully never uploaded himself to the bunker, which is the entire reason they dont get hosed by the logic virus. His body was obviously hosed after the fight so how the hell did he go from 9S->Machine->Bunker both retaining his memories and not being hosed like all the other Yorha?

I assume that getting a new body is something you can do without having to upload your data, since that's how the teleporters work. So once he got his new body after the end of B, he just chose to not upload again.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I might be forgetting plot points after being finished with A-E for a few weeks now, but Did YoRHa have ANY impact on Adam and Eve's emergence and eventual plan to GTFO on the ark? Based on the cyclical nature of the conflict, it comes off as an inevitability more than anything else, further reducing the point of YoRHa's entire existence. And is Adam and Eve's Excellent Adventure part of every cycle, or was this one an anomaly?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Adam and Eve are unique to this cycle I think, and seem to represent an attempt to break free of it (THIS CANNOT CONTINUE). I don't think there's evidence either way but I feel it's probably a mistake to assume that the cycles play out the same every time - but on both a micro and macro level they end the same. 9S discovers too much about YorHa and 2E eliminates him, and the android forces suffer a huge loss to ensure that they don't wipe out the machines.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
The sole unifying factor of the "cycles" is that a generation of combat androids are created, disposed of and a new generation is created based on the data gathered. If anything talking about cycles is extremely misleading since the context is totally different every time. Operation Pearl Harbor shared no contextual similarity to the actual Project YoRHa except for the part where everyone is killed off, and even that happens differently

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Ok, ok, I dig it. Some clarification, though: Is YoRHa in a position to wipe out the machines and they stop themselves short to perpetuate the conflict, or are the cycles a product of the YoRHa lies falling apart before the machines are wiped out, but the androids get "closer" to the goal each time via gathered data?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Grey Fox posted:

Ok, ok, I dig it. Some clarification, though: Is YoRHa in a position to wipe out the machines and they stop themselves short to perpetuate the conflict,

It is exactly the opposite of this.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

But wait, is this all to say that YoRHa was created by the machines as 'sparring partners' of sorts?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ChrisBTY posted:

But wait, is this all to say that YoRHa was created by the machines as 'sparring partners' of sorts?

In the simplest terms, yes.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I was just saying that at no point during any of the wars did the Androids ever have a chance of actually winning, and it's the machines that have been stopping short of total victory in order to keep the war going forever.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

In the simplest terms, yes.

In more complicated terms, no. YoRHa was created by androids. Androids in general survive to be sparring partners, but this project was all on the androids. The backdoor included.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Act 2 of the NieR Concert clarifies it a little:

All 5, which is a good watch in general:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF0y083mMHA

Act 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGLYoP4xF0Q

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

ZiegeDame posted:

I was just saying that at no point during any of the wars did the Androids ever have a chance of actually winning, and it's the machines that have been stopping short of total victory in order to keep the war going forever.

Whoops yeah I got that part completely backwards.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Samuringa posted:

It's the goddamn worst sidequest in the game, holy poo poo I hate racing

it's not that bad once you realize you can cheese it with pod upgrades but the NPC you need to talk to to start it seems to bug out really easy forcing you to reload a chapter which is really annoying

the end of the sidequest makes it all worthwhile though

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Augus posted:

it's not that bad once you realize you can cheese it with pod upgrades but the NPC you need to talk to to start it seems to bug out really easy forcing you to reload a chapter which is really annoying

the end of the sidequest makes it all worthwhile though
i agree with both of these, it has easily one of my favorite pay-offs

but it's still the worst sidequest-chain in the game to actually complete

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

when my girlfriend did the race sidequest, she spent like forty minutes of the last race, and when she finally beat it and the joke happens she literally started crying from laughter

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The race isn't bad and there's plenty of ways to beat it too.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

chiasaur11 posted:

In more complicated terms, no. YoRHa was created by androids. Androids in general survive to be sparring partners, but this project was all on the androids. The backdoor included.

Did it ever occur to them to Not build a backdoor. What group of androids on Earth have the resources to build a space station anyway?

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

Did it ever occur to them to Not build a backdoor. What group of androids on Earth have the resources to build a space station anyway?

The backdoor was part of the point. Yorha was made as a way of saying HEY GUYS HUMANS ARE TOTALLY STILL AROUND THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT, then they were going to be killed off to prevent anyone from cottoning on to the fact that humanity's supposed right-hand never actually met humans

And the Resistance has enough resources to build and operate supercarriers. and maintain nuclear weapons. Space Stations ain't poo poo when you don't need to breathe

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Paul Zuvella posted:

It's implied a few times (particularly in route C) that hacking can cause personality merging between any combination of machines and androids if everybody involved isn't careful. During the fight with Eve, 9S theorizes that the reason the machines are going berserk is because Eve is constantly bombarding their server connection with wracking sobs and screams about his poor dead brother. When 9S eventually hacks Eve to cut him off from the network, Eve is still blasting data to every machine he can access. My theory-slash-understanding is that Eve accidentally starts sending copies of chunks of 9S's personality and memories to all the machines as well, because 9S is inside Eve, and Eve has gone insane. So bits of 9S gets sent into robots all over the battlefield, and after the original 9S gets corrupted and dies, the 9S data bits recompile themselves into a new 9S, one in a machine body, but perfectly capable of just downloading his personality and memories back into a new blank 9S body.

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 10, 2017

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

warhammer651 posted:

The backdoor was part of the point. Yorha was made as a way of saying HEY GUYS HUMANS ARE TOTALLY STILL AROUND THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT, then they were going to be killed off to prevent anyone from cottoning on to the fact that humanity's supposed right-hand never actually met humans

And the Resistance has enough resources to build and operate supercarriers. and maintain nuclear weapons. Space Stations ain't poo poo when you don't need to breathe

See, the implication I always got here is that if the machines ever decided to try to wipe the androids out, "android high command" or whatever would just execute Project YoRHa, sans backdoor in order to push the machines back. The reason we're in a stalemate is that both victory and defeat are unacceptable results for both sides. Neither side wants to be wiped out, the machines don't want to defeat thier enemies because, paradoxically that would leave them without an enemy to defeat, and the androids don't want to win because that would result in, "OK, we won, send the humans down," and then you'd have to admit that humans are dead, and that would lead to a loss of purpose on the android side. As a result you have a situation where if the stalemate gets broken, the stronger party starts pulling their punches while the weaker party takes off the gloves.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

ChrisBTY posted:

[Nier Concert Spoilers (Yes, Really)]It did, but then 9S Number 9 cocked it all up so that his suffering in Route C would be justified in a karmic sense.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok, different question:
Is it ever stated anywhere what YoRHa stands for?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Truth, justice and humanity.

I don't think it's actually an acronym. One interesting thing about it is that for both NieR and YoRHa only the vowels are in lower case, similar to Hebrew script not having characters for vowels.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I believe Yoko Taro stated in an interview that the meaning of "YoRHa" was a secret.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Party Boat posted:

Truth, justice and humanity.

One for three's not that bad, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I missed it but I remember someone posting that if you check the library, in the end, the name was inspired by a girl that had some sort of sickness.