Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
If you got a $500 Home Depot gift card, what would you buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
A Hitman to kill my wife

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Mitre Saw

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

n0tqu1tesane posted:

One of their tool chests. They have pretty good prices on them (Husky and Milwaukee).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'd probably just save it to spend on supplies for whatever fix-it jobs need doing. Their prices for most tools I'd be interested in buying are a lot worse than online prices.

EDIT: anyone know of a way to detect water / rot inside of walls short of actually tearing the walls open and looking? Having fixed one such instance, I'm now a) paranoid that there may be others, and b) in no interest in doing any more damage to my house than I have to.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 10, 2017

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I ended up with DeWalt for the "20v" (it's really 18v, 20 is marketing wank) but if I had to do it over again I'd pony up for Makita (maybe Milwaukee) for the 18v stuff. The run out on the drill in the $200 Amazon gold box deal I picked up a year ago is poo poo. Everything else in said box is pretty good though. The circular saw, impact driver and light are all very useful. I also bought the $200 big impact that I stupidly destroyed a rear subframe stud on my project car.

Milwaukee for the 12v stuff all the way. They make the greatest single tool for the DIY garage: a 3/8" power ratchet. Break that SOB bolt/nut with a breaker bar and zip it right off.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'd probably just save it to spend on supplies for whatever fix-it jobs need doing. Their prices for most tools I'd be interested in buying are a lot worse than online prices.

EDIT: anyone know of a way to detect water / rot inside of walls short of actually tearing the walls open and looking? Having fixed one such instance, I'm now a) paranoid that there may be others, and b) in no interest in doing any more damage to my house than I have to.

Thermal camera (I think FLIR is having a sale), would a lumber moisture meter work?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Clearly depends on what you've already got/what you are interested in doing. An 18v drill/driver combo, circular saw, router, shop vac, kreg pocket jig, random orbit sander, would all be on my list. For yard stuff I like the Ego mower and string trimmers I got there.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Hubis posted:

Thermal camera (I think FLIR is having a sale), would a lumber moisture meter work?

Hm, not sure a thermal camera would work for subtle leaks; you'd need to have really significant amounts of water flow for there to be a noticeable temperature gradient, I think. Especially if you want to detect through drywall. Maybe if the front of the stud had completely rotted away, you'd be able to see the lack of a thermal bridge effect (AIUI studs are normally less insulative than the rest of the wall). Problem there is that at least some of my walls are completely devoid of insulation. I do want a thermal imaging camera, though! ...but I'm not seeing a sale, alas.

Lumber moisture meter might work, though it'd require opening up the walls enough to get the probes onto the wood. I don't have a good feel for how well moisture moves laterally through wood, either; it's possible you'd have to get the probes onto the front of the stud to detect any moisture, and that means fairly substantial drywall removal.

Thanks for the suggestions!

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Hubis posted:

Clearly depends on what you've already got/what you are interested in doing. An 18v drill/driver combo, circular saw, router, shop vac, kreg pocket jig, random orbit sander, would all be on my list. For yard stuff I like the Ego mower and string trimmers I got there.

Oh, I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to spend it on, was more wondering what other people would use it for.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
I'd echo that it wholly depends on what you already have and your needs. However, I just took at blurry shot of the tools that I value the most, which I moved inside from the unheated shop. It should give an idea of what I use for my house in the country side. Basically an assortment of 18v Makita, a good nail gun and a good chain saw. Last project was a garage, wood siding, v-shaped metal roof.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

A high end moisture meter *might* have caught the issue you already dealt with through the drywall, but having used one professionally for years, I can say they definitely have their limitations. They aren't cheap either - Ours were about $400. A thermal cam works well for interior walls, but yeah, there's a lot of room for misinterpretation when it comes to exterior walls. The camera will absolutely be sensitive enough to spot the rot (A fun trick to show customers was to put your hand on the wall for a few seconds, and then show them the handprint on the thermal camera 30 seconds later), but differentiating it from insulation leaks is tough. If you can rent one though, you might as well give it a shot. Doesn't hurt to do a little thermal audit of your house anyways.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Good to know, thanks!

I'm probably going to hire a house inspector to give my place a once-over, since it's been 5-6 years since the last inspection and lord knows I'm not observant enough to catch every problem. Maybe they'll have an IR camera.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Good to know, thanks!

I'm probably going to hire a house inspector to give my place a once-over, since it's been 5-6 years since the last inspection and lord knows I'm not observant enough to catch every problem. Maybe they'll have an IR camera.

That doesn't seem like it would be particularly useful... I mean, are you trying to figure out whether the faucets work and windows open and close?

The home inspector I hired was supposed to be pretty good, but he missed all sorts of poo poo that I've found and fixed myself since moving in. Such as evidence of past termites on some of the trim, a completely rotted section of wall from a window sill draining backwards into the window,, blocked air vents for plumbing, lack of a main breaker on the electrical distribution panel, outlets scorched from lovely wiring...

All sorts of delightful poo poo. An inspector's utility is to give your a general picture, but if you suspect an issue somewhere, I'd look into hiring a contractor for that specific thing.

If you want a general idea of your house, the black and Decker home how to books are really great, especially their home working electrical one, and so is the popular Mechanics complete home how-to.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

OSU_Matthew posted:

That doesn't seem like it would be particularly useful... I mean, are you trying to figure out whether the faucets work and windows open and close?

The home inspector I hired was supposed to be pretty good, but he missed all sorts of poo poo that I've found and fixed myself since moving in. Such as evidence of past termites on some of the trim, a completely rotted section of wall from a window sill draining backwards into the window,, blocked air vents for plumbing, lack of a main breaker on the electrical distribution panel, outlets scorched from lovely wiring...

Sounds like you got a bad inspector then, reviews notwithstanding. They can be very good or they can just give the place a cursory once-over. What I'm looking for is a fresh set of educated eyes to take a look at everything and let me know what problems I'm overlooking; I don't trust my own eyes to always notice issues because I've seen everything thousands of times so I don't really look at the house any more, not properly. Plus, I'm ad-hoc self-educated, so there's potentially things that I wouldn't notice that are signs of underlying problems.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Oh, I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to spend it on, was more wondering what other people would use it for.

For me it would probably go towards a DW375 planar, a Milwaukee 18v Jigsaw, and/or components for a router table + workbench.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Anybody tried the Walabot detector? Video tests online seem unrealistic (like pipes and wires attached directly to the drywall being scanned through) or show poor quality (blotchy splotches, not easily identifiable pipes etc). There's a 14-day money back guarantee but it would be a Christmas gift that I'd be mailing to someone and if it sucks I don't want them to have to hassle with returning it.

https://walabot.com/diy?utm_expid=.rsrOhXxxSpyZvO5pIwGsTw.0&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwalabot.com%2F

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Circular saw question:

I am eyeballing a hypoid saw for metal and cement cutting. I like the look of the makita 5377mg, but am concerned about the flammability of the magnesium alloy baseplate when it comes to cutting metal and having hot sparks fly around.

Has anyone got one and used it for cutting metal? Can you attest as to whether or not it caught fire?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Makita would not develop launch and sell a mass-market product that was so flammable it caught fire doing what it was designed to do. Magnesium alloys don't explode like Michael bay film props.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I bought one of those and boy howdy is it a loving tank. Has not caught fire once would buy again.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Back in college, I used to do some artistic work with magnesium wire (around 16-18 gauge, IIRC) because it's extremely light. I had a buddy ask me for some scraps, and I saw him later trying to set them on fire and having zero success. Which is good, because if he'd succeeded the dumbass would've hurt his vision.

Magnesium has a very high combustion ignition temperature (473C according to Google), and it's pretty good at conducting heat, so you're gonna need a lot of sparks if you want to ignite a big block of metal. And that's pure magnesium; in an alloy it'll be even harder to ignite. Maybe if you had, like, a whisker of magnesium, you might be able to ignite it with flying sparks if you got really [un]lucky. It's a small target though so I don't think that's likely.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 13, 2017

coathat
May 21, 2007

Is there any reason you're not looking for purpose built metal cutting circular saw?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Back in college, I used to do some artistic work with magnesium wire (around 16-18 gauge, IIRC) because it's extremely light. I had a buddy ask me for some scraps, and I saw him later trying to set them on fire and having zero success. Which is good, because if he'd succeeded the dumbass would've hurt his vision.

Magnesium has a very high combustion ignition temperature (473C according to Google), and it's pretty good at conducting heat, so you're gonna need a lot of sparks if you want to ignite a big block of metal. And that's pure magnesium; in an alloy it'll be even harder to ignite. Maybe if you had, like, a whisker of magnesium, you might be able to ignite it with flying sparks if you got really [un]lucky. It's a small target though so I don't think that's likely.

I remember back from a GBS safe thread 10 years ago that magnesium ribbon was the recommended way to ignite thermite, and even igniting the ribbon was hard to do.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Depending on the size of the Mg flakes, you can definitely light them with a spark. After all, that's what the camping magnesium firestarters are for. You scrape a little pile of dust/shavings, and then strike some sparks with the flint.

The strips (I used to 'borrow' them from Chem lab to take home) require a flame (regular lighter will work) to be held to them for about 5 seconds before they will ignite. Basically, the larger the chunk of the Mg, the larger the thermal mass and the energy required to get it to ignite.

Unless you're doing something that shaves a bunch of the saw body into a pile, it's not worth worrying about.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

When magnesium is alloyed with other components it can be significantly less flammable. The old McGuyver trick of taking a bastard file to a road bike to create Thermite is basically a fabrication (although, as mentioned, shaving/grinding it into a fine powder with more reactive surface area does help).

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

DreadLlama posted:

Circular saw question:

I am eyeballing a hypoid saw for metal and cement cutting. I like the look of the makita 5377mg, but am concerned about the flammability of the magnesium alloy baseplate when it comes to cutting metal and having hot sparks fly around.

Has anyone got one and used it for cutting metal? Can you attest as to whether or not it caught fire?

I think you're overestimating the danger there. I've got the Dewalt equivalent and have been happy with it.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

DreadLlama posted:

Circular saw question:

Perhaps a bitter fit might be a Milwaukee 6370-20 metal cutting circular saw with a magnesium spark/chip shield?

I'm not sure if you can use just any circular saw for cutting metal. AVE uses a Milwaukee metal saw that does not use abrasive wheels and does not burn the metal, I think Milwaukee no longer makes such a saw, AVE also did a video explaining why you can't simply convert a wood miter saw over to metal saw, I think the issue is wood saws need a high RPM motor but a metal saw needs a low RPM and high torque motor. I haven't seen a good video saying why you can or can not put a ferrous metal blade on a circular saw, I also haven't noticed any sort of "don't use on a normal circular saw" warnings on ferrous metal blades.

Don't try to grill with Magnesium. Actually, I'm kinda impressed this video exists, the ignition point of Magnesium is 883F (or 443C) but you shouldn't need to heat a grill to more than 600 or 700F during the preheat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp4ucQCjNvU

Unrelated question, are Harbor Freight drill bits crap? I bought a 29 piece set since it had every size imaginable in 1/64 in increments for $19.99 thinking surely HF couldn't gently caress up a stick of metal with sharp edges. Thus far, I have managed to snap the 1/8 and 3/64 bits, the 1/8 lasted about 8 holes, and I was trying to drill the last few holes at an angle kinda abusing the bit and I should have know it was going to break. But the 3/64 only lasted 4 holes into a particle board shelf before snapping. Should I simply expect any bit that small to be extra brittle or is a name brand drill bit actually worth more than an HF bit?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Crotch Fruit posted:

Unrelated question, are Harbor Freight drill bits crap? I bought a 29 piece set since it had every size imaginable in 1/64 in increments for $19.99 thinking surely HF couldn't gently caress up a stick of metal with sharp edges. Thus far, I have managed to snap the 1/8 and 3/64 bits, the 1/8 lasted about 8 holes, and I was trying to drill the last few holes at an angle kinda abusing the bit and I should have know it was going to break. But the 3/64 only lasted 4 holes into a particle board shelf before snapping. Should I simply expect any bit that small to be extra brittle or is a name brand drill bit actually worth more than an HF bit?

Total crap, except in wood. Even then...

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Crotch Fruit posted:

Should I simply expect any bit that small to be extra brittle or is a name brand drill bit actually worth more than an HF bit?

Generally speaking, for bits, blades, and abrasives, you get what you pay for. Sure, you can make the cheapos work, but the quality ones work so much better.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Solid mag in billet or plate form is astonishingly hard to get ignited. Like deliberately set it off with a oxy/acetylene torch levels of hard. Thinner sheet stock is easier, but it's still a LOT of heat to get it going. Once it's lit you're completely hosed and the best solution is to fling it into the yard or run the hell away from the uncontrollable metal fire. Mag shavings are basically the devil in semi-solid flake form, fun when nothing important is nearby, but hell if it suddenly decides that the inside of your CNC mill is the best possible place to ignite.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I seem to recall hearing that a magnesium fire on a US Navy ship burned through three decks and two buckets of sand before being contained. I would not care to be around a magnesium fire.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

B-Nasty posted:

Generally speaking, for bits, blades, and abrasives, you get what you pay for. Sure, you can make the cheapos work, but the quality ones work so much better.

:yeah:

Right now is a good time to buy drill bits due to holiday sales.

I picked up a set of Skil drill bits on clearance for 9 bux (originally 21) at Lowe's last night, not too bad considering they come in a nice case too.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

I seem to recall hearing that a magnesium fire on a US Navy ship burned through three decks and two buckets of sand before being contained. I would not care to be around a magnesium fire.

Once they get going they're hellish to put out, it wouldn't shock me to hear something like that happening.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
My understanding is that Magnesium fires are drat near impossible to put out because it burns aggressively enough to strip the oxygen out of basically anything it touches and then use that newly freed oxygen to keep burning. Like a lot of flame retardants used in extinguishers and poo poo still have oxygen in the compound being sprayed, it's just bound up in a form where most things can't rip it out of that compound to use it to keep burning. Magnesium can!

I had a high school chemistry teacher tell a story one time about going to a thing that amounted to a research contest where the hosts lit a big pile of magnesium on fire and said "if any of you can put that out using what we've provided here (roughly standard high school chemistry lab grade compounds) we'll make you rich" because flame retardants that can put out Magnesium tend to be really expensive, afaik.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Magres posted:

My understanding is that Magnesium fires are drat near impossible to put out because it burns aggressively enough to strip the oxygen out of basically anything it touches and then use that newly freed oxygen to keep burning. Like a lot of flame retardants used in extinguishers and poo poo still have oxygen in the compound being sprayed, it's just bound up in a form where most things can't rip it out of that compound to use it to keep burning. Magnesium can!

Yeah. We have specific extinguishers on the trucks for magnesium. There's rarely enough of them and we just can't dedicate more space because of how rarely we run into metal fires.

Usually we end up putting them out by shoveling dirt on them. It eventually goes out after it's done burning even hotter from the moisture in the soil.

You can also put it out with lots of water. By lots I mean an inch and a half line flowing 170 GPM is barely enough to put out a single wheel on a car. And boy does it make some noise and pretty colors while you're doing it, since it's stripping O2 out of the water the whole time. The reason you need so much water is because you can't smother it out - you're trying to cool it below ignition temperature while literally feeding it more oxygen, so it takes quite a bit.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Motronic posted:

You can also put it out with lots of water. By lots I mean an inch and a half line flowing 170 GPM is barely enough to put out a single wheel on a car. And boy does it make some noise and pretty colors while you're doing it, since it's stripping O2 out of the water the whole time. The reason you need so much water is because you can't smother it out - you're trying to cool it below ignition temperature while literally feeding it more oxygen, so it takes quite a bit.

Hmmm. Wonder how many mag wheels would be needed for a spectacular cremation, and why has no one thought of this?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Navy procedures for a Lithium ion battery fire? Get it into a box of dry sand and throw it overboard if it's small, and seal & flood the compartment with water if it isn't. Enough water will strip heat faster than it can be produced.

I've done it on a British Navy ship when a bunch of batteries got flooded and started to heat up. Just slide them into a metal pail full of DRY sand, and throw the whole thing over the side... Metal fires are no drat joke.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

sharkytm posted:

Navy procedures for a Lithium ion battery fire? Get it into a box of dry sand and throw it overboard if it's small, and seal & flood the compartment with water if it isn't. Enough water will strip heat faster than it can be produced.

I've done it on a British Navy ship when a bunch of batteries got flooded and started to heat up. Just slide them into a metal pail full of DRY sand, and throw the whole thing over the side... Metal fires are no drat joke.

Current events question: What types of batteries are used on Diesel-Electric Submarines? I assume they're something fairly exotic.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hubis posted:

Current events question: What types of batteries are used on Diesel-Electric Submarines? I assume they're something fairly exotic.

lolno. Lead acid. Like in your car.

Same for nuke subs (they need even fewer). And pretty much all navy ships (buddy was a navy sparky).

It takes a really, really long time for technologies like that to change in applications like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Hubis posted:

The more modern submarines use a more exotic chemistry, but it's one that's 100% salt-water safe. If the battery bay catches fire, the answer is 'abandon ship', or seal and flood the entire compartment and pray.