Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ianvincible
Jan 23, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is this some kind of idiotic liberals versus Christmas thing?

I think the idea is that so many Santas meeting together gives the lie to the notion that Santa Claus is real, or something along those lines. But then, maybe that's giving Tinsley too much benefit of the doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

One of the joulupukkis is gray* skin instead of pinkish and also curly hair.

*) Could also be brownish, I bought this ASUS VDU for 50€ from a bar basement.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Samurai Sanders posted:

One of the Santas is black. Well, as black as Tinsley can manage. Ends up being a sort of puke-grey.

Drunk-duck is trying to conflate the supposed War on Christmas with racism ("just isn't seemly") by pointing out that some black people do, indeed, celebrate the holiday.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Ah so the people who fight to preserve Christmas against the liberal onslaught are in a sense our current day civil rights movement :thunk:

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Bendigeidfran posted:

One of the Santas is black. Well, as black as Tinsley can manage. Ends up being a sort of puke-grey.

Drunk-duck is trying to conflate the supposed War on Christmas with racism ("just isn't seemly") by pointing out that some black people do, indeed, celebrate the holiday.

Or his drunk rear end is channeling Zwarte Pete, but also hiding it behind a terrible mall santa suit to hide the severe blackface.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

5 [

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Bendigeidfran posted:

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Okay, I legitimately can't tell if your post is a scathing parody or painfully sincere.

....at the same time I could see a lot of D&D posters unironically missing the point or willfully not getting it. I want to think it's parody, but some part of me feels sure that it's entirely sincere.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Chip Bok posted:

It was tough to prove that the gunshot ricochet that killed Kate Steinle was intentional. But the prosecutor went for a murder one charge and came away with nothing. 

So Ines Garcia Zarate is unlikely to spend any time in a state prison according to the San Jose Mercury News. But he’s not out of the woods entirely. He now faces federal charges. 

Zarate was deported five times before Kate’s killing and was wanted for a sixth deportation on drug-related felonies, according to CNN. 

Sean Hannity says San Francisco’s Sanctuary policies killed Kate Steinle.

Well if Sean Hannity said that, I guess I better re-examine my opinion.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

This cartoon's almost illegible

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Ah yes, nobody ever tried to stop sexual misconduct in the workplace before now. It's just so easy to hold men accountable! Why didn't we think to do anything about it before?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

As much as I like SMBC and sympathize with the position, SMBC has a very large vein of "above it all, both sides suck" to its commentary.

Also, SMBC is based in loving Charlottesville and even now maintains that tone? LO-fuckin'-L.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I may have to put this in the OP, but Tinsley doesn't color his strips unless there's an exception for Sundays. So as a general rule of thumb, try not to read too much into the colors.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"A treacherous Brexit climb lies ahead - Chris Riddell on Theresa May’s EU divorce deal announcement"

Sunday Telegraph:

The Crown: season two review – the one with all the shagging … and Suez

Independent on Sunday:

Michael Gove: voters can change EU deal if they don't like it

Sunday Times:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

British comics are brutal.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Brexit is brutal.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

This is not what a circular firing squad means.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

FronzelNeekburm posted:

This is not what a circular firing squad means.

It makes perfect sense in their minds. Democrats shunning Al Franken is bad because you always have your team's back no matter what. It's all a points game. Roy Moore for Senate!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shooting down the albatross is what brought bad luck to the ship. A bad cartoon.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Does anyone know the leanings of this artist? Like is this supposed to be a bad thing, or are they already starting to shill for the inevitable cuts?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

sheep-dodger posted:

Does anyone know the leanings of this artist? Like is this supposed to be a bad thing, or are they already starting to shill for the inevitable cuts?

I'd assume they feel that it's a bad thing, as using a hammer to break eggs is just going to make an unusable mess of things.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Katt posted:

British comics are brutal.

BREXIT is the British DEBT

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Cloud Potato posted:

Sunday Times:

This got a good laugh out of me.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I'd assume they feel that it's a bad thing, as using a hammer to break eggs is just going to make an unusable mess of things.

yeah, but labeling the hammer conservative fiscalism is pretty loving generous for what the GOP is doing

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/Lubchansky/status/939673029759655936

Lubchansky must read this thread.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Fathis Munk posted:

Well if Sean Hannity said that, I guess I better re-examine my opinion.
Bok does that a lot. "I'm not saying this ridiculous thing, but it's an interesting point, don't you think? :thunk:"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Don’t think it’s related to any news item, this is just Two Bulls having fun!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/938527419010633728

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Jay Rust posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/06/health/did-trump-slur-his-speech-bn/index.html

quote:

(CNN)While President Donald Trump was giving his historic speech Wednesday to announce that the United States would recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, some on the internet focused on the manner in which he made his statement.

Toward the end of the news conference, some on Twitter and Facebook noted that the President's usual speech pattern changed and that he started to slur his words -- and they speculated about what it could mean.
The official term for slurred speech is dysarthria, when the muscles you use to speak weaken or you have a hard time completely controlling their use.

Dental work -- such as ill-fitting dentures -- can also be blamed. Medication can impact speech, as can drugs and alcohol. Or people can simply slur their words when they get tired.

Although Trump has what de Riesthal would characterize as a typical Queens, New York, accent, "this was a noticeable change for his speech." It could be anything, though, especially since it seemed like he was "working hard to speak" -- as if "having a denture fall or some other alternative explanation." However, it definitely "seemed too unusual for something like that to be dry mouth."

"I noticed that he clears his mouth after finishing speaking, so whether that was a dry mouth or a misplaced dental issue is unclear, but given everything else, that is a much more likely cause of that," he said.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

^curse you!
Nah, he said pretty much exactly that.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/07/trump-slurred-speech-response-286079

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ah thanks!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

The same reason why we don't talk much about the history of native American tribes, history of the Etruscan and all other conquered, subjugated and just uncared for people within History. Men didn't give a poo poo to think about them and record them. Blame a historian all you want, but we're trying to find what we can to tell with an honest voice.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Bendigeidfran posted:

It's literally just an apolitical old-man joke. Like about a quarter of Tinsley's other strips.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Crabtree posted:

The same reason why we don't talk much about the history of native American tribes, history of the Etruscan and all other conquered, subjugated and just uncared for people within History. Men didn't give a poo poo to think about them and record them. Blame a historian all you want, but we're trying to find what we can to tell with an honest voice.

I think it would be more apt to blame political history which gets kids attention by focusing on individuals and makes for an easy way to condense time periods down from "The fall of rome and the slow creation of the feudal European nation" to "The adventures of Charlemagne". Then everything comes full circle because while learning about George Washington was cool, everyone thinks "history" means "trivia about some guys" and then no one wants to be a historian.

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

As much as I like SMBC and sympathize with the position, SMBC has a very large vein of "above it all, both sides suck" to its commentary.

Also, SMBC is based in loving Charlottesville and even now maintains that tone? LO-fuckin'-L.

SMBC is cool and good, and what the gently caress does him living in Charlottesville have to do with that comic?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

That skeleton is going to lose a hand if it isn't careful, politically "nutral" or not.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 10, 2017

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

sheep-dodger posted:

Definitely a bad thing. Look at the whiskey labelled "donors."

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Emasculator posted:

SMBC is cool and good, and what the gently caress does him living in Charlottesville have to do with that comic?

I also enjoyed SMBC in middle school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unite_the_Right_rally

(I still do, but c'mon half his work is "truth in the middle" style stuff.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Pants Donkey posted:

I may have to put this in the OP, but Tinsley doesn't color his strips unless there's an exception for Sundays. So as a general rule of thumb, try not to read too much into the colors.

OK, that's a good point. I'd still say the curly hair on one Santa leans in that direction, but thinking back on it I'm probably overestimating his subtlety.

• Locked thread