Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

KildarX posted:

The south sucks, except for City of Atlanta and from what I've heard Savannah. That's my hot take.

I'm an Atlantan, and I don't leave the city unless I'm forced to, so I basically agree.

I'm visibly queer, so that adds to it, not really interested in getting dragged down the road tied to the back of a pick up truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Doesn't Israel have mandatory universal military service? How would they have civilians?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Thalantos posted:

Doesn't Israel have mandatory universal military service? How would they have civilians?

this is a dumb statement

like super dumb

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

this is a dumb statement

like super dumb

No kidding, even without mandatory service it's pretty clear that every male over the age of 14 is a combatant.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

this is a dumb statement

like super dumb

Which part?

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Thalantos posted:

Which part?

The part where you assume they don't have civilians

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

No kidding, even without mandatory service it's pretty clear that every male over the age of 14 is a combatant.

So we could bomb Israel out of existence, you say?

As per our conversations regarding COIN...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So Israel is using their own children as human shields?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

The part where you assume they don't have civilians

I asked a question, whether they had mandatory universal military service.

If they do, that means everyone is in the military, so they can't have any civilians.

Exceptions for little children, the old, and those super orthodox Jews who have religious objections.

But doesn't my general point stand?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So are the Palestinians using their children as human shields? Are the Israelis supported by the US best and brightest in order to bring about the Apocalypse and seat King Jesus upon his throne of skulls? Does Sodastream also manufacture white phosphorus rounds to use on the family homes of terrorists? I'm just asking the important questions here.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Are the Israelis supported by the US best and brightest in order to bring about the Apocalypse and seat King Jesus upon his throne of skulls?

This part is objectively true.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Thalantos posted:

I asked a question, whether they had mandatory universal military service.

If they do, that means everyone is in the military, so they can't have any civilians.

Exceptions for little children, the old, and those super orthodox Jews who have religious objections.

But doesn't my general point stand?

Once a soldier takes their uniform off, they are a civilian. Legally speaking, you shouldn't indiscriminately kill people just because a country instituted a draft.

Label someone a terrorist though, and all that goes out of the window. They are now a valid target under all circumstances, and that's just too bad for the people around them.

Just for giggles, imagine the response if the Taliban started kidnapping/executing reserve officers on US soil.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Once a soldier takes their uniform off, they are a civilian.

I disagree with this statement.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Thalantos posted:

You've been exposed to too many facebook memes.

Besides, Israel probably has its' share of mental or physical invalids that can't serve for a reason or twelve.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 10, 2017

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Just for giggles, imagine the response if the Taliban started kidnapping/executing reserve officers on US soil.

Trump would be made dictator for life and Mecca gets nuked so many times it cracks the mantle and forms a radioactive volcano.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Thalantos posted:

That's when they become citizens.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ONCE A MARINE ALWAYS A MARINE RAH?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

You've been exposed to too many facebook memes.

Besides, Israel probably has its' share of mental or physical invalids that can't serve for a reason or twelve.

I don't have any Israel stuff on my Facebook feed, tbh, I don't really care what happens in Israel all that much either way.

And yeah, I looked it up and something like a quarter of the population ends up not serving.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

BigDave posted:

In other news, Trump might be getting his very own Benghazi. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-embassy-beirut-lebanon-clashes-protest/

Welp I guess Mali doesn’t count as a black hawk down/Benghazi moment because one of the dead was black

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Thalantos posted:

Then you disagree with the definitions of the words "soldier" and "civilian," and at that point I don't know what to tell you.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

I dunno what the equivalent is in israel, but in the us, if once you enlist, your not a civilian until you get your dd214. How is this hard to understand?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Thalantos posted:

I dunno what the equivalent is in israel, but in the us, if once you enlist, your not a civilian until you get your dd214. How is this hard to understand?

Are you under the impression that all Israelis serve lifetime military contracts?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm not sure I ever actually met anyone in the military who thought they stopped being a soldier once they took their coat off for the day

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
who really gives a poo poo gently caress the military suck my dick from the back and gently caress you if you are still in

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Thalantos posted:

The compulsory service is only like two years, though.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I think he's saying they are always in the military because they don't get a DD 214, the only thing that allows military personnel to assume the title of civilian ever again.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Thalantos said no one in Israel is a civilian since they all serve in the military.

AreWeDrunkYet disagreed with him, saying once you take the uniform off, you're a civilian.

It's pretty clear in context that AWDY meant "take the uniform off" to mean "leave the military," and Thalantos is either trying squirm out of a loving moronic claim about the definition of "civilian" or still genuinely thinks that 75%+ of Israelis are currently employed by the IDF.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
this is such a D&D-tier argument.

BUT HE SAID

AND THEN HE SAID

who gives a poo poo

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Suicide Watch posted:

Welp I guess Mali doesn’t count as a black hawk down/Benghazi moment because one of the dead was black

What?

No, it didn't count because it didn't involve a US Embassy.

And I thought they were killed by seals.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

boop the snoot posted:

this is such a D&D-tier argument.

BUT HE SAID

AND THEN HE SAID

who gives a poo poo

I saw your first post, Cole.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Thalantos posted:

quote:

It's pretty clear in context that AWDY meant "take the uniform off" to mean "leave the military," and Thalantos is either trying squirm out of a loving moronic claim about the definition of "civilian" or still genuinely thinks that 75%+ of Israelis are currently employed by the IDF.

You are a civilian as far as legally justifiable force is concerned if you are not actively involved, as far as I understand it. You do not need to be formally discharged - if someone lobs a missile into your family's living room while you are between deployments, that's a war crime.

The US tending to be thousands of miles from combat zones lets us gloss over most of this. If Iraq took out a reserve barracks in Georgia in 2003, people would be indignantly calling it a terror attack.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Let's not try to mesh Israeli military activities and the law...nope, sure wouldn't want that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The blood-spattered killdozer got his DD214 years ago and now spends his retirement years pushing dirt around an illegal settlement

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Everything an israeli does is a war crime. It's not that difficult to understand. It's an illegal country filled with illegal people. They shouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Most Israelis spend 2-3 years as a conscript from about ages 18 to 21/22. From the IDF soldiers I've talked to, most of them live at home and take the bus to their post on the days they're required to report in. They can get away with this because Israel is smaller than New Jersey and a posting on the other side of the country can still be a 2 hour bus ride.

Israel has an exemption for the ultra orthodox who choose to attend yesheva (religious school). Incidentally, ultra orthodox who were never conscripted make up a vastly disproportionate number of the settlers founding communities, sometimes illegally, in the West Bank because they have a religious obligation to reclaim all of Eretz Yisrael.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

My take from this is that civilian casualties if Seoul gets nuked just drastically got lower.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Everything an israeli does is a war crime. It's not that difficult to understand. It's an illegal country filled with illegal people. They shouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt.

Thalantos posted:

Maybe you guys can make a thread for easy-to-understand takes on current events.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Zionism sucks and gently caress Israel.

Jews have been historically pretty cool and good to me.

I just don't honestly know what the gently caress to do and I don't envy anyone who has to make meaningful decisions in that region. It should be done by our most analytical and compassionate minds put together, but instead I cannot fathom Trump, Pence, or any member of his cabinet having any measure of compassion.

Like past cabinets were filled with people that I disagreed with but seemed reasonable. This cabinet seems so self serving and petty, I just feel disheartened.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

If you think this cabinet cares at all about any compromise decision or one that gives Palestine anything just lol. I grew up with evangelicals (entire family) and their entire mantra is that the Jews are gods chosen and Israel needs to be fully restored before the 2nd coming of Jesus will occur. They also don't like to talk about the bit that mentions *all* nations will side against Israel before this happens though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Thalantos posted:

I'm not sure I ever actually met anyone in the military who thought they stopped being a soldier once they took their coat off for the day

JFC people it's a figure of speech. "The uniform" is taken to mean military service and "take off the uniform" means to leave the service.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synecdoche

quote:

A synecdoche is a class of metonymy, often by means of either mentioning a part for the whole or conversely the whole for one of its parts. Examples from common English expressions include "bread and butter" (for "livelihood"), "suits" (for "businessmen"), and "boots" (for "soldiers") (pars pro toto), or conversely "America" (for "the United States of America") (totum pro parte).

• Locked thread