Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
What's hot and new with the great sword, no one seems to talk about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I haven't been following any news about the game so I'm probably missing something that was heavily advertised, but do you no longer have separate blademaster and gunner armors or is that just a demo thing?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Meldonox posted:

I haven't been following any news about the game so I'm probably missing something that was heavily advertised, but do you no longer have separate blademaster and gunner armors or is that just a demo thing?

They're not separate anymore.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Meldonox posted:

This video is worth watching if you're a returning player and want to know what has changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dOV_bSQgi8

e: Don't listen to them about the poogies though

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 10, 2017

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

HenryEx posted:

I don't play it because I'm a scrub, but I read something about a 3rd charged attack in the base combo leading you to flip and bring the sword down vertically, which sounds pretty neat.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

HenryEx posted:

There's a third charge attack with two hits.
You can also cancel charging by doing a tackle move (invincibility frames!) and continue with the next charge attack in the combo. This video uses it a lot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYCThkSAEAM&t=51s

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Okay, so I like the maneuverability of the Sword and Shield, but it feels like I just don't do enough damage to beat the clock. Prolly need to work on combo mastery. But checking the video in the OP, it looks like the real strength of the S&S is being the item monkey? So I also need to practice proper and quick bomb and trap placement.

So far all I've done with bombs is blow myself up.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's super cool how the monsters actually leave footprints. They aren't random spawns. If you stalk a monster, you can see it leave footprints with each step, and then most of them fade away quickly, but every few stays and can be examined.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
what zone does angrath spawn in in the demo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Snak posted:

It's super cool how the monsters actually leave footprints. They aren't random spawns. If you stalk a monster, you can see it leave footprints with each step, and then most of them fade away quickly, but every few stays and can be examined.

Wouldn't be much of a monster hunting game if you couldn't track monsters.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Waffleman_ posted:

back in my day we used telepathy and paintballs dagnabbit :arghfist::saddowns:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I wonder how many animations/scenarios there are per pairing for Turf Wars, or if more than two mons can get involved in one. A three-way brawl between Deviljho, Glavenus and Baby Deviljho Who I Still Can't Remember The Name Of :stwoon:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I haven't played this series since the first one on the PS2. All these new weapon types are rad as heck. I'm really bad at the Long Sword, I just can't wrap my head around the moveset but that Switch Axe thing is really fun and I like the Insect Glaive even though I don't understand the insect part of it - it's really fun poofing around in the air.

I'll have to jump into multiplayer and check it out. I've mainly been mucking around in training mode and single player hunts to get used to things. Its been a while.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The netcode seems good already from the couple co-op hunts I did. I had one where I think I had a party member from France and one from Japan in the same game with no issues.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Waffleman_ posted:

The netcode seems good already from the couple co-op hunts I did. I had one where I think I had a party member from France and one from Japan in the same game with no issues.

Played in a group with people from the US, Australia, and Norway with no issues whatsoever. Whatever magic they are doing, it works.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wish I could fully remap the buttons within the game. I know I can do it on the system level but that won't change the button prompts.

Something like putting the two main attack buttons (triangle and circle) on R1 and R2 would be a lot more natural to me after years of Souls/Bloodborne, though I know R2 is also an important attack button. Maybe put that on L1 or something. If nothing else, that's the transform weapon button in Bloodborne and that's what it'd do for things like the switch axe.

I'm sure I'll adjust eventually, though. I think I finally "get" Monster Hunter :toot:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Waffleman_/status/939906475396345857

That was fuckin' tense.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Also for the people wondering about performance, I'm playing on a first-gen PS4 and I haven't noticed any hiccups yet. There's a little slowdown when there's a lot of big stuff on the screen at once but it's not stuttering or anything.

The only egregious thing I've noticed was on the second hunt when I was out in some desert-y looking area and there were a bunch of pterodactyl things flying around, they looked like they were in an old stop-motion movie. It was actually pretty funny but definitely ruined the immersion.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

But I think this is a new feature for the franchise? Maybe I'm wrong, but it's really cool that the footprints come from where the monster's feet actually step. I would have expected them to just spawn randomly in areas the monster has been in.

Edit: ^ yeah, the frame dropping for those guys at distance is really glaring because of their big flappy wings.

maseca
Mar 18, 2017

Tamba posted:

There's a third charge attack with two hits.
You can also cancel charging by doing a tackle move (invincibility frames!) and continue with the next charge attack in the combo. This video uses it a lot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYCThkSAEAM&t=51s

I need to mess around with that more, but are those straight up i-frames or just super armor frames?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Also for the people wondering about performance, I'm playing on a first-gen PS4 and I haven't noticed any hiccups yet. There's a little slowdown when there's a lot of big stuff on the screen at once but it's not stuttering or anything.

The only egregious thing I've noticed was on the second hunt when I was out in some desert-y looking area and there were a bunch of pterodactyl things flying around, they looked like they were in an old stop-motion movie. It was actually pretty funny but definitely ruined the immersion.

I saw the same stop motion stuff on a pro

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
It culls the animation frames on monsters that you aren’t fighting or are ‘far away’ pretty aggressively. You can notice it on the ground dudes too.

I don’t really mind it as long as the big guy fights are good.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It's a common trick, distant animations play at quarter refresh rate (15 fps) while the game runs at 30. Quite a few games do it to keep things running smooth overall. You tend not to notice it because they're so far away.

The performance overall on base ps4 is a bit of an oddball, it's not that it's dropping frames, it's just not pacing them very well so it feels sluggish. It's doing 30 frames every second but it's repeating some of those frames instead of flowing to the next one (for example, frame number 1 2 3 4 4 6 being shown), hence the stuttering. Bloodborne had the same problem, so did early Destiny. It's an easy fix, I wouldn't be surprised if the final version sorted it out.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Chopping up framerates of animation on distant detail is an old trick to save a shitload of performance. On the OG PS4 I think the resolution is variable, doubt the motion blur is that wild. It all works fine in the end, just not so pretty in screenshots up 100% resolution.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Does this run 1080 60 on pro? Might jump on the 350 pro deals if so.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Oh gently caress yes that anime sword, I'm in love... :allears:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

maseca posted:

I need to mess around with that more, but are those straight up i-frames or just super armor frames?

Looking at it closer, it's probably just super armor frames with reduced damage, not complete invulnerability.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Bombadilillo posted:

Does this run 1080 60 on pro? Might jump on the 350 pro deals if so.

No, the framerate option on a pro gets you stable 30, vs slight drops on the regular.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Tomie knows me posted:

No, the framerate option on a pro gets you stable 30, vs slight drops on the regular.

Lol. Ok. Less expensive to buy it a second time on pc later for better graphics.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Flytrap posted:

Okay, so I like the maneuverability of the Sword and Shield, but it feels like I just don't do enough damage to beat the clock. Prolly need to work on combo mastery. But checking the video in the OP, it looks like the real strength of the S&S is being the item monkey? So I also need to practice proper and quick bomb and trap placement.

So far all I've done with bombs is blow myself up.

Yeah it's a combo weapon, but more than that it is also good at tripping and mounting. They changed its charge into a launcher that sends you up for more slashing.

Don't think too much about its damage from the demo. If you wanna do good damage you not only need to get good with it but you also need to bring the right elemental sword to take advantage of the rapid hits. There's also gimmicks like bombing.

As much as everyone says SnS is one of the easiest weapons to pick up, it's also one of the hardest to really be damaging with it. That said you don't have to be a master with it to be really useful so everyone likes em (unless you spam bombs hah). Some of the most useful SnS in previous games were actually paralysis weapons. Poison weapons were really popular in single player too if you didn't want to deal with elements.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey if you're having issues with the camera, settings and camera has a 'target big monsters only' option like the 3ds games.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Here's a video of a dude killing Diablos, Jyuratodos, and Barroth all within the 20 minute time limit. He does it with 5 minutes to spare, just in case you wanted to feel inadequate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjVrWckbsWY Basically that's what happens when they tone down the stagger limits and break thresholds for a demo, you can effectively stunlock monsters with damage.

HenryEx posted:

Great Sword has a bunch of great changes, it is really awesome. The big one is the addition of the tackle move, which can be done after a roll or during any charge attack in order to cancel the charge. You can't be staggered during the tackle and it seems to have an amplified stagger effect on the monster if it hits (more likely to stagger the mon). It also might give you some damage reduction, not sure. Being able to cancel out of a charge gone wrong is a huge deal and you can go straight into a strong charge after the tackle. The second big addition is the new true charge, available after a strong charge. It does a massive double overhead swing that moves you forward, the first hit doesn't do much but the second hit does more than double the damage of a regular charge (regular charge will hit for ~80 on a weakpoint, true charge second hit for ~190).

The other changes are smaller or more around feel/aesthetics (they do some camera fuckery with charges that makes them feel epic when they crunch into a monster's skull). There's a few new environmental/situational moves. They've added a jumping charge attack when you jump off a ledge (basically identical to an aerial charge from Gen) as well as a charged uppercut->downward sword thrust (a la young link from smash) when you are sliding down a slope. There's also the new mounted charge attack when you finish a mount (which is loving epic). The new sound and visual effects are really good as well. It also feels like charges come out slightly faster, which if so would be in reaction to the monsters also seeming to be a bit more mobile and aggressive.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I love the goofy way you run away from monsters, it's like "WUH-OH, gotta chug a potion!"

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
on ps4 pro the beta is running at 40-50fps, considering the last game i played was generations and that ran under 30 most times i'm okay with it

still buying pc version tho

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

I love the goofy way you run away from monsters, it's like "WUH-OH, gotta chug a potion!"

Ah yes, the panic run. It's pretty useful and happens when you run straight away from a monster who has its eye on you. Dodging during a panic run gives you the "superman dive", which has the longest invulnerability in the game (about 1.5 seconds in earlier titles).

maseca
Mar 18, 2017

AttackBacon posted:

Here's a video of a dude killing Diablos, Jyuratodos, and Barroth all within the 20 minute time limit. He does it with 5 minutes to spare, just in case you wanted to feel inadequate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjVrWckbsWY Basically that's what happens when they tone down the stagger limits and break thresholds for a demo, you can effectively stunlock monsters with damage.

Great Sword has a bunch of great changes, it is really awesome. The big one is the addition of the tackle move, which can be done after a roll or during any charge attack in order to cancel the charge. You can't be staggered during the tackle and it seems to have an amplified stagger effect on the monster if it hits (more likely to stagger the mon). It also might give you some damage reduction, not sure. Being able to cancel out of a charge gone wrong is a huge deal and you can go straight into a strong charge after the tackle. The second big addition is the new true charge, available after a strong charge. It does a massive double overhead swing that moves you forward, the first hit doesn't do much but the second hit does more than double the damage of a regular charge (regular charge will hit for ~80 on a weakpoint, true charge second hit for ~190).

The other changes are smaller or more around feel/aesthetics (they do some camera fuckery with charges that makes them feel epic when they crunch into a monster's skull). There's a few new environmental/situational moves. They've added a jumping charge attack when you jump off a ledge (basically identical to an aerial charge from Gen) as well as a charged uppercut->downward sword thrust (a la young link from smash) when you are sliding down a slope. There's also the new mounted charge attack when you finish a mount (which is loving epic). The new sound and visual effects are really good as well. It also feels like charges come out slightly faster, which if so would be in reaction to the monsters also seeming to be a bit more mobile and aggressive.

you can actually tackle-cancel from charge -> strong -> true, but you have to do the full 3 charges as opposed to the normal 2

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
So I've been messing around in training mode and found some cool stuff. First off, if you break the big barrels they drop the special slinger ammo that monsters can drop. There's three that I've found so far: Piercing Pod, Slinger Thorn, and Slinger Bomb. Piercing Pod does what it says, it pierces and hits multiple times, does 5-8 damage a hit (it'll hit 3 times on the center training pillar and it'll hit multiple barrels if you shoot it through them). Slinger Thorn is interesting, it's basically a stick bomb that sticks to whatever it hits and then when you hit the Thorn it "blows up" doing about 17 damage on a weak spot. It can blow up 3 times looks like, and you can stack them (you get two), so you can get some pretty good damage out of it. Slinger Bomb is an explosive shot that does about 35 damage (it's explosive so it's weakpoint agnostic) and as I know from fighting Anjanath (who drops it) it has a guaranteed stagger, which is pretty drat useful. Unsure about the other two, I think Slinger Thorn might have the stagger as well (Barroth drops it).

The other thing I've been messing with is all the environmental attacks. We all know about jumping off ledges and probably about sliding down slopes, but there's also special attacks for running up certain vertical surfaces. That mushroom covered wall behind the training pillar isn't just for show, try doing a dashing attack with SnS or DS into it! You can also sprint up it while sheathed with every weapon to get some unique attacks (and a lot of weapons also have drawn attacks that will trigger the wall run). Some of the environmental attacks are loving nutso insane (like the hammer vertical spinning dash). One that blew my mind was that LS has a special draw attack if you hit R2 when sliding down a slope. You do a loving sweet flipping spirit slash and then when you land you can instantly do the spirit roundhouse! I'd definitely recommend checking out all the environmental stuff your weapon can do, some of it is just bonkers.

Edit: Oh god if you do an advance thrust with the gunlance into the wallrun wall the result is incredible. That loving hangtime!

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 10, 2017

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Guys, guys, ...!, I captured this absolutelly monster!

https://twitter.com/Teiman/status/939937047225274368

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So I'm kinda favoring the Sword+Shield and Dual Blades right now, though the bow and light bowgun felt nice in the training area. I'll have to try some of the other weapons in the field, but I think those two might be mainstays for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
what the fuuuuuuuck :stonk:
https://clips.twitch.tv/RepleteRefinedDurianPeanutButterJellyTime