Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Also, initial social media reactions to TLJ seem pretty favourable.

The initial pre-release reviews for Attack of the Clones were overwhelmingly positive too, I remember.

Not that I expect this will be anywhere near AOTC but essentially every single genre blockbuster ever gets enormously positive reviews, especially if it's something Disney puts out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was thinking recently it might be fun to play KOTOR again but I haven't owned an Xbox in years. I know it's on Steam, but how is it on PC as compared to console?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was thinking recently it might be fun to play KOTOR again but I haven't owned an Xbox in years. I know it's on Steam, but how is it on PC as compared to console?

It's better on PC. Word of advice though, it's pre-widescreen, so you'll need a fan patch to make the game scale properly.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

The initial pre-release reviews for Attack of the Clones were overwhelmingly positive too, I remember.

Not that I expect this will be anywhere near AOTC but essentially every single genre blockbuster ever gets enormously positive reviews, especially if it's something Disney puts out.

It's not so much the 'what' but the 'why' with these Twitter reactions.

Obviously, you're gonna have your dime-a-dozen "loved the action/story/CG" impressions that barely speak to the film's overall quality, but then there's stuff like this -

https://twitter.com/GermainLussier/status/939790585984008192
https://twitter.com/ScottMendelson/status/939746740118237185

- that actually allude to what the film does right and how it improves upon previous works. Got me all intrigued and poo poo.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 10, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cross-Section posted:

Obviously, you're gonna have your dime-a-dozen "loved the action/story/CG" impressions that barely speak to the film's overall quality, but then there's stuff like this -

- that actually allude to what the film does right and how it improves upon previous works. Got me all intrigued and poo poo.

Sweet! I'm planning to go see the movie on Friday. Nice to see some positive reactions to it, normally I'm only watching movies where the most popular opinion is more like "Oh dear god why??" :v:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Hopefully Kylo Ren succeeds in killing his other scummy parent.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's better on PC. Word of advice though, it's pre-widescreen, so you'll need a fan patch to make the game scale properly.

I wonder if there will ever be a Star Wars game with the same scope as KOTOR with the same "first step into a larger world" movie-sized storyline (you know, getting the Force, becoming a Jedi, saving the galaxy). I'd certainly like to think so.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder if there will ever be a Star Wars game with the same scope as KOTOR with the same "first step into a larger world" movie-sized storyline (you know, getting the Force, becoming a Jedi, saving the galaxy). I'd certainly like to think so.

Once EA loses the license, possibly. Imagine Naughty Dog doing a Star Wars game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe they could move beyond cinematic third person action adventure games.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cross-Section posted:

yeah, thats about what i have heard. its good that its not just empire strikes back 2.0 . i have kept my self relatively spoiler free.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Skoll posted:

Once EA loses the license, possibly. Imagine Naughty Dog doing a Star Wars game.

apperently it did really poorly for first month. so my guess is disney is gonna sell it to someone else. kinda hoping Bethesda because they have been loving amazing publisher of late.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jedi Knight and KOTOR are the only games that really have the epic heroes journey thing going on. I really want another great single player experience in the near future, it's been far too long. KOTOR II has always turned me off a little bit because of how quick they slapped it together and the fan patches are never going to be able to fully fix that. So it's been 15 years since something really great came along.

Battlefront 2 (2017) is fun but there are some things I don't like. Galactic Assault is a poor replacement for Walker Assault. Nobody plays the objective on the first phase most of the time and the last phase usually just turns into a death match. Naboo is the worst for this. The new starfighter mode is a big improvement and I've probably spent as much time playing that as on the ground modes.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Can't wait for the one twist that will get fans crazy! Doctors hate it!

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Casimir Radon posted:

So it's been 15 years since something really great came along.

And 19 years since the last X-Wing game :smith:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

I mean, I can see your argument, but I don't really think either of those really allude to what the film does right or how it improves over TFA.

Plus, Germain Lussier is not only a complete hack who writes for the epitome of genre nerd hack sites, but also claimed to have cried the first three times watching the TLJ trailer so I'm going to go on a limb and say he would post something ecstatic about it either way.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

astr0man posted:

And 19 years since the last X-Wing game :smith:
It's also been 15 years since they came out with a AAA Indiana Jones game. Lucasarts just kind of blew up and shambled off towards death after 2003. The cancellation of Sam and Max: Freelance Police really was the beginning of the end.

"Let's cancel a game that's basically done because adventure games aren't doing so hot right now! We'll save some tiny amount of money distributing it and piss off the fans, what could go wrong?"

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Casimir Radon posted:

It's also been 15 years since they came out with a AAA Indiana Jones game. Lucasarts just kind of blew up and shambled off towards death after 2003. The cancellation of Sam and Max: Freelance Police really was the beginning of the end.

"Let's cancel a game that's basically done because adventure games aren't doing so hot right now! We'll save some tiny amount of money distributing it and piss off the fans, what could go wrong?"

Granted that eventually led to the Telltale series.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Granted that eventually led to the Telltale series.
It did. In hindsight the only good season was 3, and they haven't revisited it since 2010. Telltale is kind of a lovely company now too. I don't think there's too many Lucasarts alums there anymore.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

It did. In hindsight the only good season was 3, and they haven't revisited it since 2010. Telltale is kind of a lovely company now too. I don't think there's too many Lucasarts alums there anymore.

i still like some of there stuff, then again i havent played their stuff in a while.

gently caress i just looked up jedi academy. it came out in 2003, christ i feel old.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Casimir Radon posted:

I dunno I really enjoyed the earlier seasons too. If for nothing else then the soundtracks. Season two has a couple of gems that always make the round during the holidays for me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The lightsaber combat in the Jedi Knight II games was so good, it's amazing they haven't topped it since.

The Revenge of the Sith video game also has a surprisingly good versus mode with mostly great saber combat.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
So I made the mistake of looking at comments on collection of Last Jedi reviews.

Good lord maybe we should let Trump burn the world to the ground.

dailymail.co.uk Readers posted:

Overrated. With all the stuff going on in the world, this makes it to the headlines?

It sounds so stooopid. Then again, stupid people like this sort of thing.

Why didn't they cast a hot woman like Felicity Jones in Rogue One instead of Ridley is beyond me. it doesn't make sense that you'll get one of the hottest women in a spin-off, but the star of the main series is so hide,ous.

Force Awakens as good, my only problem was that Ridley's balloons are very small and she's not beautiful.

Will probably suit kiddies & impressionable adults who like fantasy junk with lots of bright lights & flashing wands.

:psyboom:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I mean, I don't think Daisy Ridley is attractive but she's not ugly and it hardly loving matters. :lol: out of all the reasons to dislike a movie, someone picks that.

That being said, I have zero expectations for TLJ.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skoll posted:

I mean, I don't think Daisy Ridley is attractive but she's not ugly and it hardly loving matters. :lol: out of all the reasons to dislike a movie, someone picks that.

That being said, I have zero expectations for TLJ.

Funniest thing is when a goon mentioned how her hair is pulled back and she’s angry or yelling she has a vague resemblance to Hugo Weaving. I can’t not notice it now.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

IDGI I think she's beautiful. I was really hoping she's be Lara Croft too but her schedule was too busy or something.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I dunno I really enjoyed the earlier seasons too. If for nothing else then the soundtracks. Season two has a couple of gems that always make the round during the holidays for me.
They spent too much time jerking off over how genius their episodic model was that they never thought how to use it to tell a good story. Every episode of the first season is: Sybil has a new job, Boscoe has a new conspiracy, etc etc etc. Then the War song was really good so they tacked a song onto the rest of the episodes, and they were never as good as the first one. The second season is better but not much. Putting it on the Wii was another mistake because they imposed some pretty serious storage limitations on the PC version, and you see a lot of assets reused.

Telltale laid of a quarter of their staff a month ago.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I think Telltale peaked with TWD Season 1 which was truly incredible.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Milky Moor posted:

Did you play Tales from the Borderlands?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ScottyJSno posted:

quote:

dailymail.co.uk Readers

There's your problem.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

ScottyJSno posted:

So I made the mistake of looking at comments on collection of Last Jedi reviews.

Good lord maybe we should let Trump burn the world to the ground.

:psyboom:

I love how that guy acts so pompous and superior to all the plebs, but his opinion boils down to "boobies not big enough."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Canemacar posted:

I love how that guy acts so pompous and superior to all the plebs, but his opinion boils down to "balloons not big enough."

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
You guys are aware the Daily Mail website is basically FOX News for my country right?

It is also notoriously creepy with attitudes towards both women and sex so I am not loving surprised about the Daisy Ridley creeper comments too.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Let’s be honest all comments sections are uniquely awful

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Praetorian Guard sounds like it should be the placeholder that gets changed later in production. I guess it's odd taking a very specific real life thing and putting it in Star Wars. If they were going to do that, they should have called them the Varangian Guard, who were much cooler because they were Vikings.

:agreed: To me, the Praetorian Guards look like the pomegranate-juice samurai from the Pom Wonderful TV commercials. It's a little weird.

Our resident Imperial Guard around these parts is a really cool guy. I think he may have made some of his costume parts himself (I made all of mine except for the boots, belt, lightsaber, and other accessories), but even then, you have to buy a lot of expensive materials. Rebel/501st Legion members are often very supportive of newbies who want to get into making their own stuff.

I am doing my best to avoid any and all spoilers if I can. 3 more days for me!

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
lol at saying daisy ridley is not attractive. Even if she is not your type. Come on, she is a good looking lady.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

She has a scary smile. When I saw the scene in theaters where she bypasses the compressor on the Falcon and smiles at Han, I legit thought he walked away because he was creeped out.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Funniest thing is when a goon mentioned how her hair is pulled back and she’s angry or yelling she has a vague resemblance to Hugo Weaving. I can’t not notice it now.

jesus now i notice it. not my type, but she is cute.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Did you play Tales from the Borderlands?

the only good and somewhat funny thing borderlands has ever produced.(probably because the main writer of the series wasn't involved in a big way.) but seriously. it was pretty fun.

Milky Moor posted:

yeah pretty much. the issue is, after season one, you can see the "invisible choice walls, really loving easily. the GOT one is the worst at that people because one of the main antagonists is Ramsay Bolton and it takes place between season 3 and through 4.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

lol at saying daisy ridley is not attractive. Even if she is not your type. Come on, she is a good looking lady.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What works for you may not necessarily work for someone else.

That being said, a woman doesn't have to be attractive in the conventional sense to be great in a role. Imperator Furiosa for example.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
https://imgur.com/a/G4Vpm

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Skoll posted:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What works for you may not necessarily work for someone else.

That being said, a woman doesn't have to be attractive in the conventional sense to be great in a role. Imperator Furiosa for example.

pretty much. its also what you grow up with. carrie fisher in her prime is hard to beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

pretty much. its also what you grow up with. carrie fisher in her prime is hard to beat.

Yeah, this is very hard to almost impossible to beat. No disrespect to Ms. Ridley, but she's no Carrie Fisher.