Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Shame btx never caught on. That's a pimp case too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

phosdex posted:

fine, anyone use the notification panel?

What about it?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

phosdex posted:

I tried to find something useful for it and mostly failed. There's a pretty good app in the windows store called Action Note that surfaces notes in there. I think it would be pretty good as a basic task list thing.

Unfortunately I've long found that I personally don't really click with any task system that's not physical, written on paper.

Eletriarnation posted:

Oh. Yeah, that's a weird thing to do IMO (cutting out a chunk of the middle of the string you're searching for) and I wouldn't have expected it to work, but if it worked before I can understand being miffed. It certainly is strange that it works to find folders but not shortcuts.

It's weird in any other context but as an app launcher that type of parsing is really handy. Launchy handled search strings like that, it worked really well at drilling through a lot of possible matches or similar items.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Launchy is fantastic. It's been integral to my computer usage for probably a decade now. Until the Windows start menu search can match Launchy's ability to learn what you want with a given string (and maybe bit even at that point) I won't be able to use the start menu search.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Shame btx never caught on. That's a pimp case too.

The layout redesign of BTX assumed the memory controller was going to stay on the Northbridge. When it moved on to the CPU die, it freed up a lot of space to work with and the needs it was accommodating sorta became irrelevant. But yeah, I miss it. At least OEM ATX case designs got better after the BTX shakeup. gently caress those clamshell Dells

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

redeyes posted:

And then they removed the Control Panel link from that menu. I'd like to stab someone at MS.

Well, yeah but you can hit the windows key, type con and hit enter.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

The layout redesign of BTX assumed the memory controller was going to stay on the Northbridge. When it moved on to the CPU die, it freed up a lot of space to work with and the needs it was accommodating sorta became irrelevant. But yeah, I miss it. At least OEM ATX case designs got better after the BTX shakeup. gently caress those clamshell Dells

BTX also had some bad Prescott-era assumptions about power dissipation, namely that CPUs were trending toward 200 watts and add-in cards would stay about the same, which was maybe 50. If BTX had taken off we'd be regretting that. If you were designing CTX today I think the best way to go would be something along the lines of inverted ATX, like some cases from silverstone or bequiet have done.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Flagrama posted:

I think the key phrase is "multiple words"

Notice how the actual application doesn't show up, but a bunch of files and folders with the same name do when I try to use parts of more than one word to search. That'd be annoying if I wanted to launch the pokemon showdown application instead of the trading card game one.
I can't make a screenshot now but on one of my work machines, it refuses to find "Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio" no matter what part of the string you type in, even though it's clearly visible in the app list. Strangely it finds it when searching "ssms" which is the exe name.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

I can't make a screenshot now but on one of my work machines, it refuses to find "Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio" no matter what part of the string you type in, even though it's clearly visible in the app list. Strangely it finds it when searching "ssms" which is the exe name.

I just typed "sql serve" on mine and at that point SSMS popped up under apps. Gotta love it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Klyith posted:

I think the best way to go would be something along the lines of inverted ATX, like some cases from silverstone or bequiet have done.

I have an old Lian Li V1000 like that. It's a shame it doesn't fit decent length modern PSU's, or I'd still be using it.
The build quality is crazy good.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have an old Lian Li V1000 like that. It's a shame it doesn't fit decent length modern PSU's, or I'd still be using it.
The build quality is crazy good.

I just cut that one bracket out of the middle and modern ones fit ok

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I just cut that one bracket out of the middle and modern ones fit ok

I should get some snips and a fine file and do that. Are you using that case now?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

phosdex posted:

Only when there's a new Defender update. Otherwise it's worse than useless to me.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Any errors with my duplicati backup show up in there, so I guess I'm using it?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Is there a way to rebind Win+F to file search like in Windows 7?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
The answer is always autoit or Autohotkey.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I should get some snips and a fine file and do that. Are you using that case now?

Yeah, I love it and will go through any necessary nonsense to keep it running when I upgrade from this 2500k

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I used mine for a week last month when my mitx board died (it has a Pentium anniversary in) and every case I bought in the last decade was a waste of time compared to it.

Lian li owned. I hope they get their mojo back.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 8, 2017

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
just pure lol if you aren't modding the gently caress out of win10 to make it look exactly like Vista Home Premium

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Turdsdown Tom posted:

just pure lol if you aren't modding the gently caress out of win10 to make it look exactly like Vista Home Premium

MSN/Live Messenger, what the heck?!?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
Looking incredibly faithful to 2007.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Turdsdown Tom posted:

I wish using the Windows theme engine didn't still require patching uxtheme.dll. It'd be a great prank to play on someone who left their computer unlocked, but tampering with system files is a fair bit further than I'm willing to go.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Sininu posted:

MSN/Live Messenger, what the heck?!?

it's an MSN replacement server, run by the guy who did Messenger Revival when they were starting to shut down the servers a few years ago. it still supports basically every MSN function, including file transfers and MSN Plus stuff. really handy. you can download any client from 1.0 all the way through WLM 8.0 right now and connect just like you used to, but it's a totally separate service so none of your buddy lists or anything are accessible obv

wolrah posted:

I wish using the Windows theme engine didn't still require patching uxtheme.dll. It'd be a great prank to play on someone who left their computer unlocked, but tampering with system files is a fair bit further than I'm willing to go.

same, but i also don't have any reservations about installing a laundry list of unsigned poo poo on my personal rig (assuming i'm able to ensure i'm not also installing some fuckhead's secret malware at the same time, a skill i have gotten good at over the time i've spent doing custom themes). it's honestly a real pain in the rear end to install this theme to the degree that I have. but i still haven't gotten over my love of the Vista look, so being able to create a fusion of the aero aesthetic and the functionality of win10 is pretty sweet.

just getting Aero Glass working under the Fall Creator's Update is a bitch. unlikely i will change this setup for a good long while based on just how many times I had to do some hacky poo poo to get it to work

barnold fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 9, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Turdsdown Tom posted:

it's an MSN replacement server, run by the guy who did Messenger Revival when they were starting to shut down the servers a few years ago. it still supports basically every MSN function, including file transfers and MSN Plus stuff. really handy. you can download any client from 1.0 all the way through WLM 8.0 right now and connect just like you used to, but it's a totally separate service so none of your buddy lists or anything are accessible obv

But why though? Using an ancient IM client *and* none of your old friends are there...

Wouldn't throwing a MSNM/WLM skin on a Jabber client be more useful while accomplishing pretty much the same thing?

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Turdsdown Tom posted:

I see ugly aliased system icons, therefore it's not the Vista experience I know and remember :colbert:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

lovely Windows installed a lovely update, and now this fucker here gets stuck on "Connecting" when I try to launch a mobile hotspot (I spend lots of time in airplanes and gotta share that expensive Internet with my phone).

Dell made me wait an hour on the phone and then tried to charge me $140 to tell me how to fix it, so I thought I'd ask here instead. The card is an Intel 8260 if that helps.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

smoobles posted:

Dell made me wait an hour on the phone and then tried to charge me $140 to tell me how to fix it, so I thought I'd ask here instead. The card is an Intel 8260 if that helps.

Dell is asking for money for support? WTF?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The "hardware department" ruled out any hardware issues, then transfered me to the "software department" who said that software problems aren't covered under warranty, even though the laptop itself is. Pretty messed.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Have you tried uninstalling the update?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The most recent update, yeah, and it didn't fix it. It must've been an earlier update, I honestly can't pinpoint which one and am unsure how to roll back beyond the most recent one.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

smoobles posted:

lovely Windows installed a lovely update, and now this fucker here gets stuck on "Connecting" when I try to launch a mobile hotspot (I spend lots of time in airplanes and gotta share that expensive Internet with my phone).

Try and reboot while holding shift. It will do a real reboot and might enable the thing again. Or try and pull the battery if possible.
Could also be Antivirus loving stuff up. Remove it if so.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ruflux posted:

I see ugly aliased system icons, therefore it's not the Vista experience I know and remember :colbert:

Windows 10s 'gui' is ok. What it does not do for me is make me go 'yeah thats a nice interface'. I think all graphical design standards are out the door at this point. Xerox's legacy is being pissed all over.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

redeyes posted:

Try and reboot while holding shift. It will do a real reboot and might enable the thing again. Or try and pull the battery if possible.
Could also be Antivirus loving stuff up. Remove it if so.

"Reboot" always does a real reboot, i.e. full shutdown and full startup.
It's "Shut down" and then turning the machine on again that will typically do a partial shutdown and fast resume-from-hibernate-like boot.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

wolrah posted:

But why though? Using an ancient IM client *and* none of your old friends are there...

Wouldn't throwing a MSNM/WLM skin on a Jabber client be more useful while accomplishing pretty much the same thing?

convenience. there still isn't an easy and straightforward way to do direct file transfers in TYOOL 2017, and pretty much every service requires extra steps to be able to access shared files. Jabber servers rarely support the protocols necessary for file-transfer, so when I'm working on music/graphics projects and want to send my work to a buddy, we can use Escargot MSN to auto-accept incoming file transfers from each other, and set the program to automatically save them to our projects folders. that way we can share stuff even when one of us isn't sitting right in front of the computer. also, are you trying to tell me you wouldn't want to be able to go back and nudge your buddies again? MSN doesn't even exist in any form anymore too so it's not like all those old screennames from my old hotmail account are active anyway. I think you'd be surprised at how many people (well, uh, in my friend circle I guess) want to reject the gently caress out of stuff like Facebook Messenger and go back to something that is just pure IM'ing without all the superfluous stuff. sure, maybe it's esoteric, but we like it and it works

we DID use Jabber for a period of time, actually. we used AIM for about the past four years, until they pulled the plug on the older clients and we were forced to look into alternatives. Jabber worked for chatting, but file transfers pretty much never worked. ought to just open a private IRC server with DCC at this point :colbert:

Ruflux posted:

ugh, I wish I knew what was doing this so I could fix it. at first I installed a Vista iPack from deviantart, but then I actually went and built my own with IconPackager using stuff pulled directly from the Vista DLLs with Resource Hacker. no dice. I think it's something to do with the way Windows is handling the images in the icon pack, but I don't know poo poo so I can't really do too much to fix it

barnold fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 10, 2017

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

nielsm posted:

"Reboot" always does a real reboot, i.e. full shutdown and full startup.
It's "Shut down" and then turning the machine on again that will typically do a partial shutdown and fast resume-from-hibernate-like boot.

Sorry meant to say do Shut Down, not restart.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
So windows update just people something called "People" in the bottom right of my taskbar. Wtf does people do?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

So windows update just people something called "People" in the bottom right of my taskbar. Wtf does people do?

People is the contacts app built into Windows 10. It's pretty useless, but if you're signed in with a Microsoft account, it will tell you when the birthdays of your contacts are :toot:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Microsoft is really going crazy bundling their services with the os again.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You know how a while ago all our phones became computers?

Now all our computers are becoming phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, it's a phone feature that doesn't even exist on phones. No-one wants their 'favourite' contacts floating around in the corner of the screen, you go to your contacts list when you need to, or more often use the specific app you need to get hold of someone.