Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I will keep my WiiU because it has some good games that will probably never be ported TMS, 3D World, Pikmin 3, Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad etc. But I'm also not in the habit of breaking my controllers so.

I hope Captain Toad’s inclusion in Mario Odyssey means that Nintendo will wither port that game to Switch or will make a sequel on Switch. That game was charming and fun and adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I will keep my Wii U because it’s a good console and 3D world owns, as does captain toad.

Also that way I don’t also have to have a Wii kicking around.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I will keep my Wii U because it’s a good console and 3D world owns, as does captain toad.

Also that way I don’t also have to have a Wii kicking around.

I disconnected my Wii U last week, I'd rather keep the Wii around since at least that can play Gamecube stuff.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Andrast posted:

After getting used to consoles with a rest mode (and a PC with an SSD) it was annoyingly slow to start anything with that thing, especially when I usually play stuff in pretty short bursts.

I don't recall SSDs being common/available in 1999.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A sequel with Captain Toad and archivist Todetter going through the kingdoms from Odyssey would be pretty sweet.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

roffels posted:

I don't recall SSDs being common/available in 1999.

Also the DC has a rather fast boot up.

I think the poster in question meant the WiiU though.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

Games were good, the controller and console were crap.

That’s fair. I still bust my Dreamcast out from time to time to play Tony Hawk 2, but I have to use the D-pad to have any hope of pulling off manuals consistently.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Healbot posted:

Also the DC has a rather fast boot up.

I think the poster in question meant the WiiU though.

Yeah I kind of missed that the discussion was about the dreamcast

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I started playing Odissey and I love it already.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

I will keep my WiiU because it has some good games that will probably never be ported TMS, 3D World, Pikmin 3, Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad etc. But I'm also not in the habit of breaking my controllers so.

pikmin 3 ftw. thats one i expect will be ported tho, pikmin trilogy seems like a thing that will happen

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

veni veni veni posted:

Bought Mario Kart on Friday since I'm getting tired of having nothing to do with my switch other than pick up extra power moons. Had this immediate wave of regret like, "did I just seriously buy Mario kart for the 15th time". Ended up playing it for like 5 hours this weekend and now I'm just pissed I have to work tomorrow and can't play Mario Kart all night lol. Also, it looks legitimately amazing in handheld mode.

Call in sick and enjoy the bonuses of adulthood.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Zas posted:

pikmin 3 ftw. thats one i expect will be ported tho, pikmin trilogy seems like a thing that will happen

So much of Pikmin 3 though was about commanding 3 squads through the second screen. I feel like it's a Zombi U situation where even if it does get ported it's not going to be the best way to play that game.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wait, since when did waking up the Switch wake up the TV too?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Q: Why isn't Tom Nook playable in MK8? Big oversight.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morby posted:

I hope Captain Toad’s inclusion in Mario Odyssey means that Nintendo will wither port that game to Switch or will make a sequel on Switch. That game was charming and fun and adorable.

Captain Toad and the Toad Brigade been recurring characters since Super Mario Galaxy. Having them pop up in Odyssey doesn't mean that much.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm prepared to die, on the go

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In Disgaea 5, what are all of the steps I need to do to unlock the 4th difficulty in Chara World? I'm not finding anything online that clearly explains this. I feel like i've completed all of the quests to do it, and I have the other difficulties unlocked as well.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Manky posted:

I did, I haven't gotten deep into it but I like it. Stylish little rhythm game. Haven't gotten to try the versus battle dancing yet. For as simplistic as the animation style is, they did a good thing in putting a lot of unique transitions between moves so it remains interesting to watch. It feels pretty easy at first but get a few locations in and one really has to start paying attention to the scoring criteria, character stats, start memorizing a few combos.

speaking of rhythm battle is there any word of Crypt of the Necrodancer getting a port? Seems like an obvious fit & it's on a ton of platforms already.

Also so stoked for Gungeon & The End Is Nigh both coming next week. I haven't played the latter yet but it's pretty comparable to Meat Boy right?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

smash bros 4 could absolutely sell like crazy on switch, all it would take is giving you all the custom moves outright, adding like 6 or 7 new characters, a shitload more stages, a few new modes or something. I really doubt Sakurai is ever making another one, dude is physically lucky not to be more hosed after his arms calcified working on the last one.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

smash bros 4 could absolutely sell like crazy on switch, all it would take is giving you all the custom moves outright, adding like 6 or 7 new characters, a shitload more stages, a few new modes or something. I really doubt Sakurai is ever making another one, dude is physically lucky not to be more hosed after his arms calcified working on the last one.

I totally agree but just to be clear, adding 6 or 7 new characters, a shitload of stages, and new modes is an insane amount of work

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

It's always done this.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ColdPie posted:

Q: Why isn't Tom Nook playable in MK8? Big oversight.

He can't drive comfortably because of his gigantic sack.

Of money. He carries it with him everywhere.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Horn posted:

It's always done this.

I think there was a bug with Samsung TVs or something for a while, but yeah.

goferchan posted:

speaking of rhythm battle is there any word of Crypt of the Necrodancer getting a port? Seems like an obvious fit & it's on a ton of platforms already.

Yeah! Necrodancer is coming over eventually.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

goferchan posted:

Also so stoked for Gungeon & The End Is Nigh both coming next week. I haven't played the latter yet but it's pretty comparable to Meat Boy right?

The end is nigh is similar to meat boy, but it really didn't grab me the same way. No wall jumping and the dark visuals made it seem less fun. Music is awesome though.

Hackan Slash fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 10, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pollyanna posted:

Always did, depending on the TV IIRC.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
If you have CEC enabled on your TV, it should come on and change to the Switch.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Xenoblade 2 loses it's way chapter 2 but finds it's Xenoblade one soul at chapter 3 and cranks the anime to maximum.
I love it. Downside is chapter two is like 8 hours meandering

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm disappointed with Xenoblade 2 and i'm having a hard time wanting to even play the game. :smith:

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I love Splatoon 2... my husband got me the Switch for Christmas and gave it to me early since I've been having the seasonal blues lately. :3: Great surprise and the most fun I've had on a console since the 64. I feel so spoiled haha.

I've been playing BOTW too, which is also a blast, but omg Zelda games are harder than I remember. :stare:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

BotW definitely can be tough at the beginning. I just got the DLC, I absolutely love the Hero Mode tracking mode. It was great re-living some of my better memories watching the green line show up. It's a fun feature for a game to have. I learned I rarely use roads...

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

A Spider Covets posted:

I love Splatoon 2... my husband got me the Switch for Christmas and gave it to me early since I've been having the seasonal blues lately. :3: Great surprise and the most fun I've had on a console since the 64. I feel so spoiled haha.

I've been playing BOTW too, which is also a blast, but omg Zelda games are harder than I remember. :stare:

The skill curve is weird. It's like the hardest adventure game for 2 or 3 hours then it just settles in and next thing you know you're bare assed and whipping Lynel rear end with a pot lid.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think I'm just going to stop moaning about Mario Kart and how unfair it is, because it's pretty apparent I'm not going to stop playing it any time soon either way. :v:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Louisgod posted:

Despite all this, I’m pushing through as the soundtrack is perfection and the environments are a joy to explore. I just hope the story picks up and has some WTF moments like XB1 did.

I'm enjoying the soundtrack, but none of the songs so far have really stuck out to me. Like nothing comes close to the first time I entered Satorl Marsh and heard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE0hhzASHwY. I'm guessing it probably has to do with me not being as invested in the story. Like 4-8 hours in to Xenoblade Chronicles story and I was hooked. I'm probably 50 hours into XC2 and still kind of feeling whatever about the story.

The gameplay on the otherhand has me pretty entertained. People were praising the game for not having an overwhelming amount of sidequests, buy they just cleverly hid them on the trees of rare blades. (Go kill x creatures, go do specific thing, cook x items, find x pieces of whatever) All of the rare blades I've found seem to have some quests with dialogue so far, I could see myself being interested enough to try to unlock all the rare blades. Although out of my last 60 common and 11 rare cores I got 1 blade so, maybe I get frustrated before that happens.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Haha good to hear it's not just me. I just assumed I had reached the point of being old where you just start sucking at games. I still have fun though, the game is gorgeous and HUGE. I've been spending most of my time exploring; last night I made it to Gerudo Town after beating up the elephant (which was an insane fight holy cow, what a trip).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is it just me, or is Rex's movement very floaty? I find it hard to control him in platforming aspects because he doesn't stop moving when I do.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I said come in! posted:

I'm disappointed with Xenoblade 2 and i'm having a hard time wanting to even play the game. :smith:

Then don't play it. It's basically exactly what I expected.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
no he's right the game controls like a pre-PS2/GC game, not a deal breaker but it's supid as hell and illustrates poor technical execution

e: nvm about the second statement, misread the post but ya movement sucks

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is it just me, or is Rex's movement very floaty? I find it hard to control him in platforming aspects because he doesn't stop moving when I do.

It's really noticable on narrow paths. What's even worse is the game doesn't let you jump "late" like most platformers do.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
not to mention seeing your fellow party members/blades glitch the gently caress out on random terrain

it''s been a while since i've dealt with this kinda jank!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

KingSlime posted:

not to mention seeing your fellow party members/blades glitch the gently caress out on random terrain

it''s been a while since i've dealt with this kinda jank!

Those glitches are good though. Dromarch humping a chair isn't hurting anybody.

• Locked thread