Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

CBJSprague24 posted:

Apparently Jim Cornelison, the Anthem singer for the Chicago Blackhawks, will sing it again next year:

https://twitter.com/Anthem_Singer/status/936301024003985408

He's the only one to do it justice since Nabors left. (I Tweeted as much earlier today and he followed me.) For reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNPyL73sqdk

He's also performed the anthem at a few Indy Fuel games and it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/why-drivers-must-sharpen-up-their-skills-to-master-2018-indycar-985960/

That entire article is just :discourse:

It's got me really excited for the 2018 season and it sounds like the way the cars are it's really gonna punish the shittier drivers from the ones that are just poo poo.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

If you haven’t listened yet, Dinner With Racers with Robin Miller is NOT optional. Holy poo poo.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

harperdc posted:

If you haven’t listened yet, Dinner With Racers with Robin Miller is NOT optional. Holy poo poo.

Link please!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

Link please!

Dinner With Racers Episode 63 - Robin Miller also available through Dinner With Racers’ feed on any good podcast app (spend the dollar or two on Overcast if you have an iPhone, trust me on this)

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
With 2018 approaching, IndyCar has cracked the door open on more areas, and in some cases, the opportunity for teams to seek sponsorship and R&D contracts to develop new components in a racing environment could exist.

"One of the things we've signed off on is bearings," Frye continued. "Bearings, and bearing races, excluding upright and gearbox bearings, provided they are the same size and type as the original ones they're replacing. So that means teams, and some already have these relationships in other series where they compete, can work with a vendor to make new bearings for their cars or use one they happen to like. And if they can strike a business arrangement while doing that, it's the best of both worlds.

"Other things were still looking at are simple: brackets, suspension clevis, studs, rear shock shear plates, and there's a group of things like that we're talking through internally. They'll all be in the final rule book for next year, and we're about two-thirds done with it, I'd say."

On top of the new deregulated parts that will go into the rule book, Frye was waiting to complete Monday's all-drivers meeting in Indianapolis before solidifying a few competition changes his department has come up with.

"We have one more round of feedback to go through with the teams, and then we'll make the locked-in parts changes and go from there," he said. "And then on the other side, we've had 10 or 12 changes we wanted to present to the drivers to get their feedback on and weigh in with our own before we go forward in some of the racing changes we've been looking at. We're pushing to get everything done with the rules before the end of the month."

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Marco and Rossi switching rides, apparently:

https://twitter.com/MarcoAndretti/status/938785270627033089

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

That’s...odd.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

herta deserves a better driver than marco

marco deserves a part-time third entry for coyne at best

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This feels like a demotion for whatever reason.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Marco has been switching cars/engineers way too often. Maybe this cars/engineers things aren't the problem, you think?

Though I am curious to see how he'll get on with the new cars. If he's still mid-packing it at the end of 2018 it's time to talk about him moving on from Indycar.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

WindyMan posted:

Marco has been switching cars/engineers way too often. Maybe this cars/engineers things aren't the problem, you think?

Though I am curious to see how he'll get on with the new cars. If he's still mid-packing it at the end of 2018 it's time to talk about him moving on from Indycar.

"We just need to find the right driver/number combination to make Marco not suck."

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

maybe they should hire him to be the pace car driver, it's the most he'd prolly ever run up front again

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

"We just need to find the right driver/number combination to make Marco not suck."

Probably more true than we want to admit.

financially racist posted:

maybe they should hire him to be the pace car driver, it's the most he'd prolly ever run up front again

Almost as savage as Paul Tracy's Uber burn.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Andretti cars led last years 500 for 95 laps, Marco accounted for none of those

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Send Marco to GRC and put Scott Speed in the car

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Send Marco to GRC and put Scott Speed in the car

I would be for this 10000000%.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Andretti cars led last years 500 for 95 laps, Marco accounted for none of those

Amusing fact - there are only three drivers who have led more laps than Marco (141) at Indy without a win. Jimmy Snyder (181), Rex Mays (266), and Michael (431). Dixon actually must have just bumped Michael out of the top 10 all-time lap leaders, since he's up to 439 laps led.

While we're at it, Michael has actually led two more laps at Indy than Mears. With the way the races play out these days, Helio could easily rack up a fourth win and still not officially lead enough laps to pass either of them on that list.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I kinda want Helio to get his fourth so he'll go away.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Minto Took posted:

If he wins a fourth, he'll never go away. Every year we'll be reminded of his accomplishment. Every. Year.

Are you sure you want him to win another one?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The number switch is probably due to sponsorship stuff i imagine. 98 still technically has a different ownership structure than the other cars. Their engineers are swapping too, so its not that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Minto Took posted:

Whether he gets a fourth or not, that might be sooner than anyone wants to admit. If he's not literally battling for the win this coming May, does Roger give him another one off in 2019?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Helio is still a draw with the mom crowd (source: my mom), so I could see another three years of one-offs barring sponsorship money.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

The number switch is probably due to sponsorship stuff i imagine. 98 still technically has a different ownership structure than the other cars. Their engineers are swapping too, so its not that.

Herta was with him last year on the stand too, so they’re probably just re-aligning things along those lines. One of the recent Marshall Pruett Week in Indy shows was with him.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

harperdc posted:

Herta was with him last year on the stand too, so they’re probably just re-aligning things along those lines. One of the recent Marshall Pruett Week in Indy shows was with him.

Yeah, Herta said it was weird calling strategy for one car and owning another.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Hot take: Marco well never win another IndyCar race
not that hot of a take

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Danica has a better chance of winning another Indycar race.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Marco's gonna drive until he a) wins Indy or b) dies

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Andretti could never sack Marco.

Herta could.

I wonder...

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Shank-SPM for 6 races.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yep.
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/146197-harvey-confirmed-for-shank-spm-indycar-program

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Interesting. I had assumed AutoNation and Sirius XM were Andretti sponsors.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Assuming the Carlin deal is coming, could have 24 cars at Long Beach. Aw yeah.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Carlin announced a return to F2, having essentially previously left it to free up resources for Indycar so I'm a little worried about that one.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Honestly, I think we’re missing the big news of the off season here.

https://instagram.com/p/BcfIfEjF8ty/

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Minto Took posted:

:kimchi:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Minto Took posted:

OMG

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

small NEWS DUMP:

Double points for Indy and Sonoma are likely to continue, but Indy Qually points may be redone.

Dixon thinks that speedways shouldn't change much, but short ovals and road/street courses should be a whole 'nother monster. To be fair, the speedway races have been pretty good the last few years, the road and short ovals have been Chevy roflstomping everyone.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

KingShibby posted:

Hot take: Marco well never win another IndyCar race
not that hot of a take

Marco wins the championship this year and also continues to be the prettiest driver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Athanatos posted:

Dixon wins the championship this year and also continues to be the prettiest driver

• Locked thread