Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Released with 1.3 in Oct of 2015
No longer operational as of 2.2 in March 2016
Removed from the store sometime around Dec 10 2017

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Dusty Lens posted:

B... B'Tak? :ohdear:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Dusty Lens posted:

Just as the sales define development, so does development eventually invalidate the sales.

But don't worry, they'll figure out what to do about the people who spent money on it. Sometime in the future.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

D_Smart posted:

OK, serious question time.

Is there anyone who seriously - no snark - thinks that there is ever going to be a "game" coming from this?

We make fun of them for the lols, but we're now down to the point where we have to start taking this poo poo seriously because, you know, lives and bank accounts are at a risk.

I think there's a chance we'll get a game, but it's a very small chance. I really hope that CIG does manage to cobble together something, I want see the deformed baby born of the unchecked ambition of Crobberts. It's far more likely that CIG just implodes IMO.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Is Hellion any good now?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/939929042320527361
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/939932824991424513

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Drunk Theory posted:

Just as the sales define development, so does development eventually invalidate the sales.

Man you should see the rage going on over the Constellation Phoenix right now. They sold this thing as a super up-gunned version of the Constellation with better shields, better guns, better missiles, a "Point defense turret" in addition to the two regular turrets, better armor... it was supposed to be some kind of luxury VIP transport. Then they released the hangar version 2 years ago, and it was just a white version with a hot tub inside.

Now they're doing the inevitable "Refactoring" and literally all of the stuff I just mentioned has been dropped except for the hot tub. It's just a mangled version of the regular Constellation with less missiles and a fatter midsection to accommodate your frat parties. There's not even any gameplay reason for it to exist. But it still costs like $125 more than the regular versions- gently caress you if you don't like it!

a cyberpunk goose posted:

Are people bad with money going to be bad with money? Probably, but this is a new kind of scam trapping an ambitious new market of victims, many of whom id argue probably wouldn’t have been burned so badly had we well run financial oversight in our hell world.

I would argue that this is not really a new kind of scam at all. It is a cult and a con. It turns out that cults have always been especially seductive to exactly the kind of people Star Citizen routinely preys on- loners with inferiority complexes who don't really have a lot of experience of what a healthy community should be. They get told that no they really are special, and here's a place for people just like them- give a little more, and you can enter at a higher rank- because if you can throw that kind of money around you've obviously already earned the respect! The only thing they don't really have is a good messianic leader because Chris is kind of a fuckup and Sandi is a transparently evil grasper. I guess you could say that's the unique part- it's kind of a crowdsourced cult, where they all take turns "Inspiring the faithful" and nobody gets to sleep with the groupies because women are 100% repelled by this thing.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

BeigeJacket posted:

Is Hellion any good now?

Hellion really feels like the dev's mission statement is to explicitly take all of Star Citizen's ideas and make them into a workable game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XShCuA2tpQ

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Sarsapariller posted:

Man you should see the rage going on over the Constellation Phoenix right now. They sold this thing as a super up-gunned version of the Constellation with better shields, better guns, better missiles, a "Point defense turret" in addition to the two regular turrets, better armor... it was supposed to be some kind of luxury VIP transport. Then they released the hangar version 2 years ago, and it was just a white version with a hot tub inside.

Now they're doing the inevitable "Refactoring" and literally all of the stuff I just mentioned has been dropped except for the hot tub. It's just a mangled version of the regular Constellation with less missiles and a fatter midsection to accommodate your frat parties. There's not even any gameplay reason for it to exist. But it still costs like $125 more than the regular versions- gently caress you if you don't like it!

Weird. Everyone always says they are giving their money to CIG to support development, and the ship is just a nice thank you. You make it sound like the people who purchased the ship expect an actual product. Strange that.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/939927825334919176
https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/939938578943135745
https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/939940428882874368
https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/939941144657629184
https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/939942142562263043

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

I would argue that this is not really a new kind of scam at all. It is a cult and a con. It turns out that cults have always been especially seductive to exactly the kind of people Star Citizen routinely preys on- loners with inferiority complexes who don't really have a lot of experience of what a healthy community should be. They get told that no they really are special, and here's a place for people just like them- give a little more, and you can enter at a higher rank- because if you can throw that kind of money around you've obviously already earned the respect! The only thing they don't really have is a good messianic leader because Chris is kind of a fuckup and Sandi is a transparently evil grasper. I guess you could say that's the unique part- it's kind of a crowdsourced cult, where they all take turns "Inspiring the faithful" and nobody gets to sleep with the groupies because women are 100% repelled by this thing.

totally, i acknowledged it's not "new" in terms of it's components, what's fresh is the specific segment being tapped into in the last couple of years. I think people in all segments of society are susceptible to some kind of scam or another, and it's a matter of the right factors coalescing in just the right ways to overload your risk evaluations. Star Citizen really raises the bar from "making f2p games that take advantage of stupid whales with more money than sense" to "making poor midwestern nobodies lose their shirts over space futures", which is pretty next level for video game scams.

(To be clear confidence scams aren’t new but it’s well executed in how RSI performs the liability dance)

A scam's brazenness always has some (for the sake of elaboration let's say linear but obviously this isn't quantifiable) linear relationship to how difficult the operator feels it would be to sue them/prove in court. This is where Star Citizen stands out to me.

For Star Citizen's stated goals, their workforce is a complete skeleton crew. Chris Roberts is doing a little bit more than the bare minimum to "prove" he's "making something" without actually trying to deliver on all the insane, endless promises he's made about what's coming. Because imagine trying to explain to a judge (in 3 different countries no less) that, yes, sure, there is a patcher and you can download something that resembles a game, but it's basically a medium business equivalent of a hackathon project in it's current form and shows absolutely no ability to scale to the stated goals that they have been raking in millions from morons for years now.

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 10, 2017

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yn8zZIN3xg&feature=youtu.be

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

These two need to hurry up and just gently caress. This never ending cyber sloppy blowjob session is getting gross.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

totally, i acknowledged it's not "new" in terms of it's components, what's fresh is the specific segment being tapped into in the last couple of years. I think people in all segments of society are susceptible to some kind of scam or another, and it's a matter of the right factors coalescing in just the right ways to overload your risk evaluations. Star Citizen really raises the bar from "making f2p games that take advantage of stupid whales with more money than sense" to "making poor midwestern nobodies lose their shirts over space futures", which is pretty next level for video game scams.

Poor midwestern nobodies have been getting corporate scammed for decades, though. Just look at Landmark Forum, or Est.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/04/06/the_true_story_of_est_the_pop_psychology_group_that_seduces_philip_in_this.html
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/karin-badt/inside-the-landmark-forum_b_90028.html

quote:

EST was founded in 1971 by a handsome former encyclopedia salesman named Werner Erhard, who had changed his name from John Paul Rosenberg a decade earlier. He launched EST in San Francisco and it quickly spread across the county. EST was not officially a religion but a training program meant “to transform your ability to experience living so that the situations you have been trying to change or have been putting up with clear up just in the process of life itself,” as Erhard put it. At its peak, thousands of people a month were paying hundreds of dollars to partake in weekend training seminars in order to “get it”— EST-speak for a vague kind of self-actualization.
EST meetings took place in swank hotel ballrooms and attracted professionals and celebrities like Valerie Harper and Yoko Ono. Talking, smoking, eating, and note-taking were forbidden during seminars; breaks were rare. Even when trainees went home in between sessions, they could not drink or take prescription drugs, according to Psychology Today. That article also reported that session leaders alternately berated attendees as “assholes,” and led them into trance-like states. Trainees were strongly encouraged to recruit others.
EST was part of the Human Potential Movement of the 1970s, which emphasized human agency and personal growth as a response to generational ennui. Not coincidentally, Erhard had drifted through Scientology and a program called “Mind Dynamics” before launching EST. In the mid-1980s, he renamed EST “the Forum,” and in the early 1990s he left the country during a period when the IRS was investigating his taxes. (He was later cleared of all accusations of wrongdoing and won a $200,000 settlement from the IRS.) Later, the Forum morphed into the Landmark Forum, which continues to sell a program of empowerment-via-seminar.

I'll grant you that Star Citizen is next-level for video game scams, because those have traditionally been targeted at investors and so haven't really had the ability to rope in masses of people- they were limited to a one-time sale and then irrelevancy until very recently when kickstarter came in- but the demographic that they're targeting has been getting scammed in the same way, hard, for 50 years or more. The megawhales that SC is milking are not really the super-rich investors they portray themselves as. They're cubicle drones, who have a lot of money but very little time and who feel that their lives are largely unfulfilled as a result. Est, and Landmark, and Star Citizen all promise actualization and belonging in the same vague way, sprinkled with a bit of star power, and a bit of abuse. It's exactly the right formula for a certain kind of really broken person.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

A scam's brazenness always has some (for the sake of elaboration let's say linear but obviously this isn't quantifiable) linear relationship to how difficult the operator feels it would be to sue them/prove in court. This is where Star Citizen stands out to me.

For Star Citizen's stated goals, their workforce is a complete skeleton crew. Chris Roberts is doing a little bit more than the bare minimum to "prove" he's "making something" without actually trying to deliver on all the insane, endless promises he's made about what's coming. Because imagine trying to explain to a judge (in 3 different countries no less) that, yes, sure, there is a patcher and you can download something that resembles a game, but it's basically a medium business equivalent of a hackathon project in it's current form and shows absolutely no ability to scale to the stated goals that they have been raking in millions from morons for years now.

Also agreed, but really it's only the really poorly executed or suicidal cult-scams that actually get taken down. Est/Landmark/Scientology are all more or less legal (or have enough clout to cover up their shady poo poo). Star Citizen is probably legal though it skirts a lot of consumer protection laws. But yeah, despite Derek's constant dark hints, nobody is going to jail over this. Nobody's walking away from it either, because I think everyone left at the top realizes there's only one golden goose and this community isn't going to re-materialize if they abandon ship for a new project. Everyone is kind of stuck at this point.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

D_Smart posted:

Is there anyone who seriously - no snark - thinks that there is ever going to be a "game" coming from this?

We make fun of them for the lols, but we're now down to the point where we have to start taking this poo poo seriously because, you know, lives and bank accounts are at a risk.

I am waiting for the esports to catch on. Like CR promised. I am spending hours honing my skills. I have no doubt SC and SM will beat out Lol and Dota without question.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

this is maybe the first day in more than a year that ive woken up to less than a hundred new posts in the thread

only 82? slow news week i guess

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Space

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

alf_pogs posted:

this is maybe the first day in more than a year that ive woken up to less than a hundred new posts in the thread

only 82? slow news week i guess

No one has posted recently that the thread is now bad or good.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Also double posting appears to be on the way out as we move in to the fresh new posting styles of 2018

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

man i'm really not making arguments against the things you're acting like i am, im just saying scams keep evolving and this represents a new bold trend

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

there's some level of her immunity to scams once they've been around long enough, society at large hasn't developed an immunity to SC because it isn't yet a finalized example of a huge scam. it might never be with the way they are dancing and the way the world is going right now. the average ding dong on reddit will probably have awareness that scientology & amway are scams because of way the community at large talks about those things, and consider themselves too smart to be scammed (a trait of every scam victim), but people are especially unequipped to talk about video game related scams because they are so new and the gaming zeitgeist has no uniform to evaluate them as such quite yet.

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 10, 2017

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

man i'm really not making arguments against the things you're acting like i am, im just saying scams keep evolving and this represents a new bold trend

Sorry, I'm not really trying to argue against what you're saying. It is new, I agree. But it's also got a lot of DNA in common with classic USA scams. I find the whole thing interesting and was just kind of rambling off on my own exploration of that using your post as a starting point.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

Sorry, I'm not really trying to argue against what you're saying. It is new, I agree. But it's also got a lot of DNA in common with classic USA scams. I find the whole thing interesting and was just kind of rambling off on my own exploration of that using your post as a starting point.

all good my man :buddy:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

wait wait wait

its a SCAM?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

D_Smart posted:

There will never, ever be a game. But I keep hoping, and I know it won't happen either--please, please CIG give us a Pusher cut scene. Crobbers show us your strong female character in the vein of Alow from HZR. You can do it--give us the Pusher version of the Morrow Tour!

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

BeigeJacket posted:

Is Hellion any good now?

It is still a Early Access. So basically really great idea for game, without any guarantee's that dev can complete it before running out of money. And dev's have done a lot of stuff right (if you love hard space sim's)

It is shaping up rather nicely. The next kessler update brings in debris cloud's and those can be pretty dangerous (literally from the movie gravity).

pictured debris hitting my base (i died taking this shot due to debris hitting me)
taken from testing build.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

wait wait wait

its a SCAM?

SC... AM

SC..AM

SCAM

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Dusty Lens posted:

Wtf is flashfire I asked google:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/electronic-access/Weapon-Roms/Hornet-Flashfire-Specialty-Mount
"Want some bigger bang for your credit… literally? These carefully designed mounts will transform larger hardpoints on the Hornet and Cutlass-class platforms to allow them to attach large weaponry"

Basically take your [x] slots and turn them into a [x]+1 slots! You'd be an idiot not to upgrade. Was this sold before they even had the dogfighting module?
Imagine if Blizzard started selling the "Titan's Grip" talent (lets your character hold 2-handed weapons with one hand) before they even finished the original game, lol.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Virtual Captain posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/electronic-access/Weapon-Roms/Hornet-Flashfire-Specialty-Mount
"Want some bigger bang for your credit… literally? These carefully designed mounts will transform larger hardpoints on the Hornet and Cutlass-class platforms to allow them to attach large weaponry"

Basically take your [x] slots and turn them into a [x]+1 slots! You'd be an idiot not to upgrade. Was this sold before they even had the dogfighting module?
Imagine if Blizzard started selling the "Titan's Grip" talent (lets your character hold 2-handed weapons with one hand) before they even finished the original game, lol.

And then decided that no actually that makes warriors overpowered. So we aren't adding that talent anymore. If you bought that talent already, we'll figure out how to compensate you at some point.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

nopantsjack posted:

Caught up with the thread!

I had to skip about 9000 posts though.

People were mentioning some kind of Land Sale? I missed that, anyone got any links or a summary?

I assume they started selling digital plots of land?

http://dereksmart.com/forums/reply/6056/

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

Explain to me how lives are at risk, though? Bank accounts I'll grant you, but really even if Star Citizen were to disappear tomorrow I kind of feel like the dudes who'd invest their family's life savings into scam video games in pursuit of community and meaning are gonna find some way to lose that money.

I do think there will eventually be something that they declare as the final game. Years late, tens of millions over budget, and with mechanics that range from passable to holy-crap-how-did-that-ever-get-released. It'll be billed as an MMO but be largely played as a single player wandering-and-trading game, because they forgot to balance any of the economics to make piracy or bounty hunting worthwhile other than as griefing professions. It will be swiftly forgotten about within months as it is laughably far behind other games of the same period. The idiots who sunk 50,000 dollars into it will still feel justified because it came out, after all, and the amount they spent was so long ago that they're no longer feeling buyer's remorse.

Only two questions remain for me at this point- how can they possibly put out all of the ships they've sold, with all of the mechanics they've promised, without going broke? And if they don't release them how can they cut and run having sold people stuff they didn't deliver?

I didn't means "lives are at stake" as in people dying. I'm talking about livelihoods of people working on it, those who have pissed away the farm on it, got into debt etc.

----------------

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

but people are especially unequipped to talk about video game related scams because they are so new and the gaming zeitgeist has no uniform to evaluate them as such quite yet.
Yeah, it's interesting, because gamers by and large have been indoctrinated into a vulnerability to hype. That's sort of how the industry has worked for a long time, the next big thing is always bigger and better and get on board or get bored. Games are a fantasy and the idea they'll fulfill all your fantasies is just a step above.

But on the plus side "Kickstarter that will fulfill all your dreams" "crowdfunding" and "early access" do not have the glow they did in 2012. I don't think you could launch a Star Citizen quite as easily now as they did then, if at all. I think 90s superstars coming back to fart around has been somewhat burnt out by the shittiness of some major KS projects.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Virtual Captain posted:

They are still selling the "Guide to modding star citizen" when the game doesn't and will never have modding tools available to it at the rate they are going

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/939959982728073217

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
LOL!!!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/and-this-is-why-lti-doesn-t-mean-shiddldy-squat-fa/

----------------

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Hey guys, Elite is a good game.
Space truckin' soothes the spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Evocati exit

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/7ig4u2/1350_refund/?st=jb17q04l&sh=133919ff

quote:

Thank you /r/starcitizen_refunds for providing me with the information I needed to ensure that I got this back.

I started this refund process around the time that 3.0 dropped to us in Evocati. After seeing it first hand and realizing it wasn't the dream patch that it was touted to be, I finally accepted that I wasn't going to be getting what was promised some years ago.

It might be worthy of a simple $60 someday, though.

As a related side note: I do admit that I have a problem when it comes to space games. I can't help myself and end up buying into the newest space game to play it early or just to help support them. Hopefully, this will finally break me of that habit.

----------------