Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
CSI Miami but Quattro and his sunglasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Paper Kaiju posted:

I don't know why I'm even surprised anymore.

This video calling a Zaku and a Dom a 'gundam' is triggering the poo poo out of me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

EthanSteele posted:

it always takes me a second to realize people are talking about char and not the sandrock gundam pilot from wing when they mention quattro

even when it makes no sense to be talking about that guy in context and it's not quite his name

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Caros posted:

This video calling a Zaku and a Dom a 'gundam' is triggering the poo poo out of me.

also they call what is clearly a standard Zaku II "the one from War in the Pocket"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

EthanSteele posted:

*arrives at the crime scene of Bernard Wiseman*

The victim's name is Bernie you say?
*puts on sunglasses*
Better call him Hamburger Helper now.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just noticed Turn A in the thread tab. Ha!

There's also a Turn A Gundam poster in the back of the shop you fight for in Gundam Breakers 3, the ultimate gunpla simulator

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Guy Goodbody posted:

also they call what is clearly a standard Zaku II "the one from War in the Pocket"
Wasn't that Gunpla discontinued, though?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So the Gundam showed up in the new Ready Player One movie trailer. Doesn't mean I'm going to watch it, but it's there.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Is there any place I could by gundam breaker for less than what play asia is asking?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
"I wish for a big budget Gundam movie directed by Steven Spielberg"

*Monkey paw curls*

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Someone wished for Super Robot Wars to be made in to a movie didn't they?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

So the Gundam showed up in the new Ready Player One movie trailer. Doesn't mean I'm going to watch it, but it's there.

https://twitter.com/Gettyer1/status/939864625943756800

I can't wait to see a Gundam on the big screen, especially attached to source material as stellar as this:

I'm not actually going to watch this movie, in a theater or otherwise.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

https://twitter.com/Gettyer1/status/939864625943756800

I can't wait to see a Gundam on the big screen, especially attached to source material as stellar as this:

I'm not actually going to watch this movie, in a theater or otherwise.

:psyduck:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
RPO is a fat kid with an Occulus Rift on saying "CLASSIC 80s" a hundred times while sperging about lovely pop culture references. Also disgraced movie critic Harry Knowles gets a thanks at the end of the book.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Darkman Fanpage posted:

RPO is a fat kid with an Occulus Rift on saying "CLASSIC 80s" a hundred times while sperging about lovely pop culture references. Also disgraced movie critic Harry Knowles gets a thanks at the end of the book.

To be fair, I think the thanks has been removed in recent printings/digital copies. Lord knows it is hard to tell who is a sex predator these days (it is everyone.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tae posted:

"I wish for a big budget Gundam movie directed by Steven Spielberg"

*Monkey paw curls*

I've thought about this for a while and my biggest concern is how you would condense the story into a two hour film. My best idea so far would be to roll the Garma and Ral plotlines into one, ignore M'Quve Texas Colony and Side 6, and then do a Pellennor Fields/Black Gate double ending with Solomon and A baoa Qu.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

There actually were plans for a live action Gundam film in Hollywood at one point, though it had some...interesting ideas for condensing the story down.

quote:

Before the project’s cancellation, Proser managed to complete a first draft of the script and commissioned storyboards of the opening scene. While recognizable moments from the original Mobile Suit Gundam story are present and shuffled around, the story and setting differ significantly from the series, with liberal helpings of both Star Wars and Seven Samurai/The Magnificent Seven thrown in for good measure.

Many characters, including their roles, relationships, ages and names are changed. Amuro is called “Amaru” (though Proser admitted this was likely just a mistake), and among the characters he is the one who is least changed. Char, who goes maskless and is called “Sha” in the script (closer to his name in Japanese), is Amaru’s 13-year old brother and is envious of the technically-minded Amaru’s ability to relate with their scientist father. Tem Ray is “Tim Ray,” and far from the neglectful and work-obsessed father of the original anime, he’s a pulp hero renaissance man: a known leader, the inventor of the mobile suit, a legend in scientific and military communities, and the creator of the runaway megalomaniacal AI program called “Ziong.” Captain Paolo of the White Base never dies and there’s no Bright Noa to take his place.

Mobile Suits are colossal, standing at 100 meters tall – closer in size to the Jaegers from Pacific Rim than the 18 meter mecha of the original anime. The Federation and Principality of Zeon are absent; the White Base is instead an overhauled manufacturing ship staffed by refugees, their primary enemy being the Ziong Corporate Empire and their contracted military known as the Legion.

There is no Zabi family, and while the name “Ziong” suggests the Zeong mobile suit, it instead refers to an AI masquerading as a man which leads the Empire. Even Earth is never mentioned; the world of the live-action Gundam script is one of warp drives and alien worlds, rather than colonies orbiting around a familiar one. Minovsky particles are eschewed in favor of tactics involving holographic deception. There are no Newtypes, though certain characters do communicate telepathically using psychic headgear.

That whole article is really worth taking the time to read if you haven't seen it before.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Warfare incorporating holographic deception tactics does sound cool to be fair. The rest is trash, but that one bit is interesting and would be nice to see expanded somewhere.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

tsob posted:

Warfare incorporating holographic deception tactics does sound cool to be fair. The rest is trash, but that one bit is interesting and would be nice to see expanded somewhere.

A Taste of Armageddon does something vaguely similar in Star Trek

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

tsob posted:

Holographic deception strategies are lame, it's all about balloon deception strategy, and the Ra Calium and other ships of its class have that strat on lockdown.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

They're probably going to use the RX-78 of Ultraman for the final fight. The book is literally "the 80s and Ferris was awesome, right, RIGHT!?"

I'm mostly interested in seeing all the different franchises thrown together visually.

It's still going to be a bad movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not even Spielberg can save this.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not even Spielberg can save this.

He has made good movies out of real bad books before so I'm open to the possibility.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Srice posted:

He has made good movies out of real bad books before so I'm open to the possibility.

He also made a terrible movie out of a real good book, The BFG.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

He also made a terrible movie out of a real good book, The BFG.

Heck if anything that makes it sound like this will be good then.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

How many actually good books make for legitimately good films anyways?

In general there's probably more good to be done in mining bad, trashy books for whatever good kernels of an idea they might have and doing something with that than taking a good piece of literature and trying to compress it down to two hours or whatever of screentime.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Trainspotting is an excellent book and film but that's because the author was heavily involved in the movie

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That Ready Player One trailer would have been funnier if it was just G-Savior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L89pNX1aYKc

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Raxivace posted:

A lot, but you don't hear it because they don't have 90+ million dollar budgets.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Raxivace posted:

In general there's probably more good to be done in mining bad, trashy books for whatever good kernels of an idea they might have and doing something with that than taking a good piece of literature and trying to compress it down to two hours or whatever of screentime.

The smarter move now is to turn them into TV series. Far less runtime compression.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The smarter move now is to turn them into TV series. Far less runtime compression.

Depends on the pacing. Different books have different natural rhythms, and while one might take week to week easy, others would just drag split up like that.

The thing about adapting a book into a movie is you're adapting. The two mediums have different strengths and weaknesses, and a good filmmaker leans into that. Books can show inner conflict easier. Films can take action at a walk. You lean into it, a film and a book can both highlight the strengths of the medium.

(As for the default pick for "Film good, book good", the third adaptation of the Maltese Falcon is one of the greatest films of all time. Makes up for the first two fairly handily.)

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

That sure is THE Gundam at the end of the trailer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm still on the fence about this. On one hand, since we seem to be reaching a plateau for visual effects, it is more financially viable to make big budget TV shows (Seriously The Expanse has CGI that rivals most movies). But on the other hand, not everything needs to be made into a TV show, and a lot of stories adapted from books can be improved by properly utilizing their adaptation's respective format. Look at Amazon's announced Lord of the Rings TV series. I have no idea how they would make that work as a television program, and while the Jackson films do have some issues, they're also darn near the perfect example of what a good adaptation can accomplish. I always bring this up when talking about the 0079 compilation movies, but you need to understand the freedoms and limitations of your chosen format when choosing to adapt something. Unicorn works best as seven episodes, and is an exercise in tedium trying to watch it as RE:0096. A live action Gundam film, based around 0079 COULD work provided the person in charge knows what they're doing and has a strong editor in the booth.

A live action TV series could also work using the same guidelines, but my concern with the current trend of big budget television is that it is still in its early days. I'm not sure that we're quite at the level of quality that top tier films can produce, but I chalk that up to long format TV series in this vein being young. Given time, I'm sure we'll see some incredible long form shows that put the current stock of (admittedly really good programming) to shame, as directors and production teams become more comfortable providing cinematic experiences weekly in an hour long format.

I really just want to see a big CGI brawl between the Gundam and a squadron of Rick Doms on the big screen.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

the third adaptation of the Maltese Falcon is one of the greatest films of all time.
It's a good movie but I always felt it was too stagey and not especially cinematic.

Still, it pretty much solidified Bogart's more suave screen persona after all of the gangster movies he was in, so that's something big it has going for it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've thought about this for a while and my biggest concern is how you would condense the story into a two hour film. My best idea so far would be to roll the Garma and Ral plotlines into one, ignore M'Quve Texas Colony and Side 6, and then do a Pellennor Fields/Black Gate double ending with Solomon and A baoa Qu.

One time I tried to write a Gundam movie script for shits and giggles and I ran into the same problem that the compilation movies did, and that it didn't really follow a 3 act structure and was a bunch of disjointed things happening. Which is because it was a bunch of TV show episodes stuck together. I also tried to include elements from both the TV series \ movies \ novels and that totally didn't work.

Ultimately I think it would be best to just make a live action Gundam as a TV show instead of a movie trilogy, because I'd rather have kinda crappy special effects if it stays true to the source material. That and you could go beyond just 0079 and do Zeta Gundam, CCA, etc.

If I were to do it, I would try to make the first couple seasons fairly faithful adaptations of 0079 and Zeta, then I would probably start going off the rails for ZZ, CCA and Unicorn. I would try to make a few things a teensy bit more "realistic" by making mobile suits much smaller (5-6 meters instead of 18, more the size of a Scopedog from VOTOMS) and the One Year War would last longer than a year. I would play up the whole "retro-futuristic" aspect of the show and deliberately have costumes, set design, cinematography and music that seems late 70's \ early 80's.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Honestly I think if you were making a Gundam movie you'd be better off just making your own thing and not trying to adapt an existing story because you'd have to change so much to make it work. Gundam has a rich base setting along with a history of AU's so making a new one with a near Earth setting and colonies, Minovsky particles etc. and it's own story distinct from UC or any other AU would be the best step and leave the writers/creators with the most freedom to write to the format's strength.

Gammatron 64 posted:

If I were to do it, I would try to make the first couple seasons fairly faithful adaptations of 0079 and Zeta, then I would probably start going off the rails for ZZ, CCA and Unicorn. I would try to make a few things a teensy bit more "realistic" by making mobile suits much smaller (5-6 meters instead of 18, more the size of a Scopedog from VOTOMS) and the One Year War would last longer than a year. I would play up the whole "retro-futuristic" aspect of the show and deliberately have costumes, set design, cinematography and music that seems late 70's \ early 80's.

Smaller mobile suits or power armor would almost certainly be easier on the budget too, as well as probably easier to direct because you can create reasonable props for actors to interact with instead of just having them act towards an empty area CGI will fill in later. Plus, having it be about power armor or tiny mechs would allow more fights that take place within a colony, making it more distinct from other entries as well as giving the choreographers more direct experience to build off of.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is that not what g-saviour is

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Basically, yea. Though G-Savior was ostensibly set in UC, or at least a calendar also called UC. G-Savior was fine as a concept, it just had problems with execution. It wasn't even bad; it was just a dull nothing.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Is there any significance to the end of December Sky when they find the Zeong parts? I don’t think it comes up in Bandit Flower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

You don't have to adapt the whole of Gundam into a single movie, there's a pretty easy stopping point with Garma eating poo poo and the White Base crossing over into federation territory. The trick is to adapt it so that that feels like a natural crescendo, which would involve introducing Garma fairly early into the film so he feels like an antagonist and not just a third act roadblock, probably by giving him dozle's scenes.