Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Does anyone have a screen cap of the "I tried" sign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Dude. Do not even JOKE about removing the beefcake from Beavis.

that whole training montage is loving great.Music, sweaty abs and weighted pullups.Best scene in the movie right there.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Caros posted:

Might have been a good idea to start with that rather than going on a loving macho tizzy, throwing batman around and talking about how he could kill him anytime he wants.

For as stupid as that Martha scene is (and holy gently caress is it stupid) the start of the fight is loving unforgivable.

Before you can UNFORGIVE, you must first actually read the text.

The entire point of the film, up to that point, is that Clark genuinely hates this miserable, idiotic badguy and considers just squishing him to be totally a valid option. In fact, Superman is transparently using his ‘non lethal’ approach as a halfassed substitute for what he really wants to do.

The fight scene, in part, externalizes the inner debate over whether Batman deserves to live.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The original Steppenwolf design for JL looked a lot more like what we saw at the end of BvS. The studio felt it was "too scary".

https://www.instagram.com/p/BceeJl9h-8w/

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Too scary... The villain is too scary, that's how fanatical the conversation about 'tone' has become.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

drat that original look owns

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Remember how Steppenwolf lame appearance was also Snyder's fault?

Yeah, me neither.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

K. Waste posted:

Too scary... The villain is too scary, that's how fanatical the conversation about 'tone' has become.

It's hilarious how badly WB hosed up this movie. They deserve to lose the $100 million or so from it.

Away all Goats posted:

drat that original look owns

He actually looks imposing in that picture.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Before you can UNFORGIVE, you must first actually read the text.

The entire point of the film, up to that point, is that Clark genuinely hates this miserable, idiotic badguy and considers just squishing him to be totally a valid option. In fact, Superman is transparently using his ‘non lethal’ approach as a halfassed substitute for what he really wants to do.

The fight scene, in part, externalizes the inner debate over whether Batman deserves to live.

It's a hell of a thing, killing a bat.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Mr. Apollo posted:

The original Steppenwolf design for JL looked a lot more like what we saw at the end of BvS. The studio felt it was "too scary".

This should be emptyquoted a thousand times, LOL.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

Fill the WB tower with gasoline and start passing out torches.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

WB execs: "You have to change the villain, we're worried audiences will dislike them."

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Martman posted:

WB execs: "You have to change the villain, we're worried audiences will dislike them."

This is a perspective that's easy to understand if you remember they're trying very hard to recapture Avengers' lightning-in-a-bottle and how people went gaga for Loki.

This does not excuse the shitheap of a character Steppenwolf was. That being said, it isn't as though a more alien design would have suddenly made him an interesting villain.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The dude just wanted to bring back his mom. Of course, that was cut so all we got was a nothing villain.

What is it with these films that people like to gatekeep on what interpretations are valid and not? Everything K.Waste and others who post what they think or what they believe a scene or sequence is about is through everything that is shown on screen. It's not even disagreement, it's flat out rejection of them. I see this poo poo on Reddit (yeah I know, but sometimes you find good topics on those boards - DC Leaks is a good one) all the time and Snyder films are at the brunt of this kind of nonsense.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 11, 2017

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think a lot of people don't like to admit to themselves that good art is hard to make; a ton of people basically have the attitude that "if they let me do all this stuff I could easily make millions of dollars too but I've been unfairly prevented from doing so." So like, the angry insistence that movies don't really mean anything beyond the immediately obvious is comforting.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
And just happens this shows up on my Twitter feed

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/939718692719403008

:cripes:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

this is a person who makes videos on youtube about movies right? Like, the movie beats that point over your loving head during the scene on the mountain. How do you miss that? Does he think that scene was just Kevin Costner telling Clark a story about horses?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DC Murderverse posted:

this is a person who makes videos on youtube about movies right? Like, the movie beats that point over your loving head during the scene on the mountain. How do you miss that? Does he think that scene was just Kevin Costner telling Clark a story about horses?

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/939721101621391360

I'm going to say, yes.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Boxman posted:

This does not excuse the shitheap of a character Steppenwolf was. That being said, it isn't as though a more alien design would have suddenly made him an interesting villain.

Earlier I almost posted roughly the same thing but thinking on it more I believe it is still a pretty good example since if they messed with the character design they probably messed with everything else about the character anyway.

It's obvious to say that a different CG model in the exact movie we got wouldn't have helped poo poo, but it's possibly equally likely that the new design in an otherwise fully Snyder controlled character would have been better. The model change is just a symptom of the bigger issue.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
that youtuber is the guy who came in this thread a few days ago to post a bunch of boring moviebob tier poo poo I didn't read and then ran back to his homethread in RGD(?) to call us all douchebags or something, you should unfollow him D_T

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 11, 2017

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
That guys hoodie sucks

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

that youtuber is the guy who came in this thread a few days ago to post a bunch of boring moviebob tier poo poo I didn't read and then ran back to his homethread in RGD(?) to call us all douchebags or something, you should unfollow him D_T

Oh is that guy? I had no idea.

I don't follow him but some of the people I follow retweeted that bullshit.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

ohhhhh poo poo that's the same guy hahahaha

He never did answer my question about his stupid faux-riddle

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I see your bad take, and I loving raise you:

https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status/939958600436469760
https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status/939958916347301889
https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status/939959755430416384
https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status/939960359288475650

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

"I'm not saying he's a Nazi, but he's a Nazi"

That's a piping hot take right there

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

man of steel is a more humanist piece of art than anything joss whedon has ever made and that guy is a loving idiot

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
the thing that gave me a headache was the idea of Joss Whedon, who's never seen a person he couldn't reduce to an archetype to play around with, is "a humanist"

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
He literally came into the thread, posted "Hack Snyder is an objectivist jock," and then peaced out without answering anyone's questions so he could complain to RGD about how dumb and so Goddamn crazy! we all are so he doesn't have to engage with anyone pointing out he doesn't have a take any different from your average GBS shitposter.

I'm the biggest pinko commie I know and "leftist YouTube" is still a bunch of loving idiots.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Did he ever answer the “major character who dies” question he posed about SS?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I don't think it was him but whoever asked was referring to El Diablo and everybody else missed it because they assumed he meant someone else besides Diablo (I missed it because I thought he was talking about reshoots)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mr. Apollo posted:

Did he ever answer the “major character who dies” question he posed about SS?

It was Diablo, the guy whose willing sacrificial death around which the film's entire climax was built. Like if someone posed the same conundrum about Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice and then the answer was Superman.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
He was referring to El Diablo, but his sentence was really confusing in the first place.

FoldableHuman posted:

The final film was pretty much doomed to some deep structural flaws simply by the nature of its creation, but the panicked tampering basically ensured that the final film would be so confusing that even people who really liked it would still have trouble putting scenes back in order, would miss out on the death of a key character, and would have trouble deciphering the actual plot of the movie.

When everyone was like "who died that we missed? We know about Diablo and Slipknot" he just... never elaborated and got really snippy with everyone instead.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I’ve only ever seen SS once but even then I still remember that El Diablo died.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

ElNarez posted:

I see your bad take, and I loving raise you:

https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status/939960359288475650

I normally like this dude, but his insistence that Snyder makes crpyto-facist films is fuckin' insane.

The other day he was posting about that horrible "Don't save the rabbit from the fire!" op ed
https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status/939319882205859840

And I wanted to be like, dude, that's fuckin' Man of Steel in a nutshell.

https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status/939322274951331840

Like c'mon!

Mr. Apollo posted:

I’ve only ever seen SS once but even then I still remember that El Diablo died.

Yeah, especially hilarious he tried to blame some imagined group of people missing this on "bad editing" but when pressed his response was characters didn't react strongly enough.
And then he still couldn't get the events of of the film right.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

neoliberalism really does a hell on people's politics, drat

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yikes. Not as bad as the dismissive hot takes I've seen on Reddit, but that's pretty bad. Not as bad this Anthony Oliveira fellow making assumptions about someone's world view based off of (poorly) interpreting someone's art.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

I wish someone could make a training montage of me bvs style.There's no way Snyder is not at least a little bit gay with the way he shoots masculine bodies.
Everything in that loving sequence is great , music, hardcore weighted pull-ups with more than a 100 pounds, crazy laser science, beefcake affleck, all to transmit the idea that batman is gearing himself to fight a god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4rI8cQTNeQ
Look this poo poo and resist the urge to slam weights at the gym.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 11, 2017

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I watched MoS today for the first time since BvS came out. I remember when I saw it in the theatres I wasn't thinking too much going in because Superman wasn't really one of my superheroes growing up. Sure, I had watched Chris Reeve spin the planet backwards to reverse time (and when I was 7 years old you better believe I ate that poo poo up) but I didn't watch the animated series or read any Superman comics. I didn't bother with Smallville because it was just Superman growing up and since I wasn't a Superman fan I never felt a need to watch it, same with Superman Returns.

When MoS was getting posted about in the megathread 5 years ago I was interested because it looked like we were going to actually explore the things about Superman that all the other media took for granted, him really learning how to use his powers. In the first movie he just runs fast, plays it casual and just flies like he could always do it. The main buzz I remember about MoS was it was being done by "the guy who did Watchmen and 300" (that's all I knew Snyder for at the time) so I figured I would at least be impressed by the directing style, if nothing else, because I think I was the only person in my theatre that wasn't having fun when I saw The Avengers. I went to see Man of Steel after work one day, I was meeting a girl and catching a movie and I was so blindsided I had forgotten it had even come out, but we both decided to check it out. When we left and I was trying to contain how much I enjoyed the movie she was just like "eh, I had heard some things from other people before going in, it was alright" and I couldn't even really think of where to begin talking about what I liked in the movie.

Watching it again today there are lots of things that I loved then and I still love now, I loved that there wasn't a credit sequence for 20 minutes. We got a prologue that told us everything about Krypton and why Jor and Lara wanted a better life for Kal, it also introduced us to Zod and his ideology. I enjoyed seeing all of the flashbacks of Clark growing up and seeing him be a misfit because of how much of a struggle his life would have been. But the scene that sealed this movie as one of my favourite comic book/superhero movies was when he first dawned the suit and decided to try to fly. In the Donner film he goes to the north pole, makes the Fortress of Solitude and Marlin Brando monologues for a bit and then boom Superman is flying across the screen, there's no substance, there's no shared joy in watching him learn his abilities. Now I will agree this will be different for everyone but the other reason why I loved the way Snyder had him learn to fly is also why I enjoyed the web-swinging for both Amazing Spider-Man movies, I'm someone who enjoys flying and these movies found a way for me to get that euphoria just from watching a screen. Watching Kal put his fists into the ground to create propulsion to lift off was phenomenal.

There was something about watching MoS that finally made me identify with Superman, for the first time in my life, and I feel like it only really came about because of Zack Snyder's vision. Clark Kent/Kal El isn't just some super happy guy that always makes the right decisions and always saves everyone, that's asinine. That's how we get stupid poo poo like the New York battles in The Avengers, oh sure we have these behemoths tearing through skyscrapers in downtown NYC but don't worry, no one died. Bull loving poo poo, you don't need to call attention to the fact that thousands of people likely died but don't pretend that it was a bloodless skirmish. If I want that I will watch Earth's Mightiest Heroes on Netflix or something, I'm paying $13 to watch this on a big screen, you better believe I want something that looks like someone actually put effort and elbow grease into their film. BvS continued this, showing that actions have consequences and people will respond to them in certain ways. Were there issues with the script? I would say so, I do feel that maybe the Martha scene could have been better but the underlying motivation for the scene was solid. I hate hearing people talk about Batman being the "world's greatest detective" because we live in a world where people can make fanfiction of fanfiction and have that poo poo spawn two loving Hollywood budget movies. If we live in a world where fanfiction of Twilight made someone millions of dollars we can live in a world where Bruce Wayne isn't always right. I would prefer to watch a movie about a Bruce Wayne that got it wrong and has to re-learn why he started his crusade as Batman. I want to watch a movie where he failed himself and has to grow and change.

Yet here we are with this...thing that WB/DC released that has taken so much of what I loved about MoS and BvS and abandoned it. For what, to try to get people who love The Avengers to watch it? gently caress that noise, BvS still made a poo poo load of money being only the 2nd movie in a new franchise. I remember on Facebook seeing a lot of my friends post those stupid "your move DC" images and I loving hated it. I loving hate that the studio executives bought into that bullshit too because look at what it brought on us.

gently caress, it's gonna take a lot to get me to be excited about a new DC film after this because ugh. Just loving awful

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Mr. Apollo posted:

Both of these are stupid. Comic books and comic movies are for stupid children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

How the hell can this dope call himself a "cinematographer" when he can't even read the basic text of a movie?