Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

RobotDogPolice posted:

Hounds of Tindalos sound like cool monsters, any published scenarios I can draw inspiration from?

I think a luxury liner or passenger train would be a cool location, so anything in that realm would be cool too.

There's a delta green scenario they just released Reverberations which is a sequel to one from Delta Green Countdown

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

There's a delta green scenario they just released Reverberations which is a sequel to one from Delta Green Countdown

That's the one where the Tcho tcho are selling a TIME DRUG, right?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Please tell me it uses thiotimoline.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

It's supposed to be sort of like slo-mo from Dredd I think. By which I mean it's a harmless novelty in normal doses. It's also non-scheduled which helps them compete versus other street drugs

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
In Reverbrations, Reverb is a combination of MDMA and the Tcho-Tcho drug Liao, brought over from Afghanistan by a former US Army vet and Blackwater contractor. The effect of Liao on the human brain is to effect the perception of time, either by stretching out a singular moment or, in some cases, by literally transporting their consciousness through the past, granting visions of the events of long ago. The second event typically ends with the consciousness going too far back, and attracting the attention of a Hound of Angles. As Liao tends to build up in the brain without dissipating, this means that the longer you take the drug, the more likely it is that you're going to gently caress Up horribly and get eviscerated by creatures from beyond time.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 8, 2017

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Way to spoiler the adventure dude

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Way to spoiler the adventure dude

no problem

It is a fun adventure though, just actually ran it myself. At one point a pair of PCs had gone to a police station to interview a drug dealer that had been dealing reverb, and inadvertently blew their cover while trying to pick up a sample of the drug from the evidence locker. At that point, one of them panicked, grabbed the box of evidence, and attempted to book it out of the station, only to trip over their own feet in the station lobby and get tackled by multiple cops. This then lead to the fun scene where the police decided to throw him into the same cell as the dealer he'd just interviewed, where he got to witness the Hound manifesting out of the dealer up-close

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Has anyone invested enough time to give me some thoughts on Mansions of Madness?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I am making a DG guy and I think I want to go the most "normie with the most to lose" route. 30 y/o Fed on a nice career trajectory with a nice northern va home good domestic life with two kids member of the local fraternal order, no serious vices, yadda yadda.

What's a good background that would get him into The Program where he had contact with something just overtly supernatural enough to blood him in, but seemingly babytown frolics so he wrongly assumes the Mythos is like Goosebumps level paranormal japery?

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 10, 2017

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Cult stuff maybe, where he can write off the crazier aspects as just the cultists buying into it but still a serious threat (but to him, human)

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Somebody from the Program had him review/translate/resuscitate a hard drive and he saw something that he shouldn't have. Personally, he laughed it off (thought it was something akin to 9/11 truther nonsense) but the next thing he knows he's inducted into this mysterious program that reminds him of one of his favorite movies, Burn After Reading. Generally, he assumes that the people in DG are about as capable as the characters in that movie.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm not sure Special Agent Dan Smith would like Cohen Brothers movies. They are "too weird" for him. He likes war movies (as long as they don't try to be too high-concept artsy-fartsy), a good action flick, and anything he can take the whole family to. He's insufferable if you watch any movie about police work or feds with him, as he will "Well actually" every bit of dramatic licence to explain proper procedure.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Have you nailed down which agency your character works for? That in and of itself could open up a ton of potential backstories.

Edit: Personally I'd vote for an agency that's completely nonthreatening like Amtrak or the Department of Agriculture.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 10, 2017

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
US Postal Inspection Service who arrested some wanabee wizard scamming people for xeroxed copies of the Necronomicon.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I'm not sure Special Agent Dan Smith would like Cohen Brothers movies. They are "too weird" for him. He likes war movies (as long as they don't try to be too high-concept artsy-fartsy), a good action flick, and anything he can take the whole family to. He's insufferable if you watch any movie about police work or feds with him, as he will "Well actually" every bit of dramatic licence to explain proper procedure.

Jerry Smith, Delta Green operative.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Lord Frisk posted:

Have you read the story(s) with the Hounds of Tindalos? The fact that they're essentially cross-dimensional border patrol might work for you. If there's a construct where the leylines and drywall meet at the right angles...

Or if someone opens a dimensional gate, they could just come through.

Either way, if the investigators gently caress up, they could be added to an existing case.

China Mieville has a good Hound of Tindalos (?) story called Details

Online here: https://books.google.com/books?id=Q7LK8lP_sTUC&lpg=PP1&dq=the+children+of+cthulhu&pg=PT11&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Oh yes, Details is one of my favourite Yog-sothothery stories.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I am making a DG guy and I think I want to go the most "normie with the most to lose" route. 30 y/o Fed on a nice career trajectory with a nice northern va home good domestic life with two kids member of the local fraternal order, no serious vices, yadda yadda.

What's a good background that would get him into The Program where he had contact with something just overtly supernatural enough to blood him in, but seemingly babytown frolics so he wrongly assumes the Mythos is like Goosebumps level paranormal japery?
Something touching on ghouls, who could probably be taken for cannibal maniacs or possibly people with a rare prion disease if you're only working from reports or decayed remains.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

He's from the MAJESTIC side of the family and thinks the Mythos is basically aliens with rayguns - advanced technology, sure, but nothing sanity-blasting.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Last night in Delta Green I learned:
-Agents will chase a red herring literally up a major highway.
-Binary explosives thrown at a car will mess up the environment
-Driving while tear-gassed is hilarious

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
So I hosted another night yesterday, starting a campaign with a different group, it was a blast. What I want to do with them is something based on the old Shadows of Yog-Sothoth campaign but throw in some other scenarios, especially during the first half after they joined the HOST. And since most of them were first time players I chose the popular Edge of Darkness as an introduction and had them all thrown in jail at the end because of their deeds (they provided enough reasons) and had them bailed out by the HOST leader who then invites them to join him in his pursuit to study the occult because he was very impressed with how they dealt with the "problem" in EoD. That's how far we played.

The first scenario went really well, it's pretty straightforward. Edge of Darkness spoilers ahead: The spell which they have to cast at the end - I wrote down a couple of lines of latin gibberish and made them chant that for a couple of minutes while dealing with all the other stuff that happens. That was great. Nobody died, although they really tried - even after the first investigator barely survived poking his head into the attic containing the monster, they absolutely wanted to try again. Some of the players even wanted to take a stroll into the woods, even though it was made clear several times that there's a monster and the house is the only safe place. But the players roleplayed as a really skeptical bunch, convinced that it's all just fairytale and nonsense, which was cool in its own way. Would have been interesting if someone was eaten alive, but they were lucky. They also almost killed Jake the horrified Hobo, but they wrapped him up in a blanket when he fell unconscious from a gunshot and just left him in the basement. He survived though, one investigator later visited him in the hospital, they had to amputate his arm, poor guy.

I made a big mistake though with the bridge between EoD and joining the HOST. I didn't want it to happen right the next day because that seemed unrealistic and railroading, so I said "you have to go there next week, what do you do in the meantime" and of course they went on an endless chase, inquiring about every single bit of information and every person that had been mentioned thus far. There were some clues about the HOST which they managed to find but for the other stuff I had nothing. It got a bit awkward because I had to make up a lot of NPC dialogue and it was already quite late.

Well lesson learned. Next time they will have to search for a famous archaelogist who went missing from his mansion! And that time, characters will surely die.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
If anyone wants some great practice developing scenarios and writing, Chaosium just put out their (now annual?) call for convention scenarios. You pitch, then if you're chosen, you write the whole thing and come up with pre-gens - 8000-12000 words plus 6 characters.

I made it to the final round last year and it was a ton of fun, and I got some great feedback from the editors too.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

LuiCypher posted:

I'm just going to sit here geeking out for a bit. This is proper enough motivation to get these rules into a Google Doc to share with the list.

Say, this is from a while back, but did you ever do this? I'm gonna be running KG for my group and I'd love to have those rules on hand if they decide to go that route.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Peas and Rice posted:

If anyone wants some great practice developing scenarios and writing, Chaosium just put out their (now annual?) call for convention scenarios. You pitch, then if you're chosen, you write the whole thing and come up with pre-gens - 8000-12000 words plus 6 characters.

I made it to the final round last year and it was a ton of fun, and I got some great feedback from the editors too.

Good god that feels long. Even my shotgun (1500 word) scenario felt like a lot of words.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I picked up the Cthulhu: Invictus Sourcebook at my local comic book store a couple weeks ago on a whim because it looked interesting. CoC set in ancient Rome? Yeah I'll pay $26 for that.

When I got home I started googling it to see what else I might need to know about it. Turns out there was a kickstarter for a 7e version that got funded, and is due pretty soon. Doh, maybe I should've waited. Anyway I kept dinking around until I saw a used copy on Amazon for...$800?? Huh that's weird.

A week or so later I checked again, and saw that the $800 copy was gone, but someone had listed another one for $1000 :psyduck:

Now I look and the $1000 one is still there...but someone has listed one for almost $50k :psyboom:

I found another one for $1000 at some site called abebooks.com

What the gently caress? There's no way anyone would pay this right? You can get the PDF from Chaosium for like $13 for crying out loud. If you just search "cthulhu invictus sourcebook" in google and click on shopping, it lists 2 Barnes & Noble stores selling for $27. What am I missing here?

Also, Chaosium is having some black Friday and Cyber Monday sales: https://www.chaosium.com/blog/

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Algorithmic pricing engines going haywire on niche/short print run poo poo. No one is actually paying that (probably.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Its also a placeholder they do to avoid restocking fees.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Ah, that makes sense. I've never run into this before, it was really strange.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So I'm thinking of running a Dreamlands game, with the intent of doing it as mostly straight fantasy(with just a tinge of horror), indeed for system I'm probably going to use a D&D variant of some sort, and I'll probably make some minor setting tweaks to accommodate that, so I figured I'd ask you guys if there's any Dreamlands stories besides Lovecraft's own that are worth reading up on?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm getting a copy of Delta Green next week-ish- how well can it be adapted to different time periods, like if I want to run espionage/G-men adventures in the 1920's/30's, do I just need to worry about equipment lists and some skills or is everything out the window?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kavak posted:

I'm getting a copy of Delta Green next week-ish- how well can it be adapted to different time periods, like if I want to run espionage/G-men adventures in the 1920's/30's, do I just need to worry about equipment lists and some skills or is everything out the window?

The former.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Excellent! Any pre-WWII spycraft sourcebooks out there or am I going to have to research?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Kavak posted:

Excellent! Any pre-WWII spycraft sourcebooks out there or am I going to have to research?

If I remember correctly GURPS Espionage had some pre WW2 spy craft stories and equipment. I am NOT sure though.

drrockso20 posted:

So I'm thinking of running a Dreamlands game, with the intent of doing it as mostly straight fantasy(with just a tinge of horror), indeed for system I'm probably going to use a D&D variant of some sort, and I'll probably make some minor setting tweaks to accommodate that, so I figured I'd ask you guys if there's any Dreamlands stories besides Lovecraft's own that are worth reading up on?

You might want to check out the adventure The Sense of the Slight of Hand Man.

http://arcdream.com/home/the-sense-of-the-sleight-of-hand-man/

RPPR did an actual play series with that adventure path.

http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/call-of-cthulhu-the-sense-of-the-sleight-of-hand-a-dreamlands-campaign-by-dennis-detwiller/

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

drrockso20 posted:

Neither of them wrote H.P. Lovecraft's Dreamlands™ stories but you'll want to read Lord Dunsany and Clark Ashton Smith. The Dreamlands stories are basically Dunsany fanfiction and Smith was a contemporary of Lovecraft's who wrote fantasy that is drenched in the kind of decadent, languid weirdness that you should aim for with the Dreamlands. Smith and Dunsany are also simply way better writers than Lovecraft, with Smith having an actual sense of humor, for one thing. If you like Jack Vance you'll probably like him too, he had a similar love of wordplay and purposely obscure phrasing, it really feels like Smith helped pave the way for Vance.

With Dunsany, basically everything he wrote will help. A good place to start for your purposes is one of his short story collections that precedes Five Plays, probably just start with Gods of Pegana and see how you like it. For Smith, stick with the Xothique and Hyperborea stories for now. I suggest the Tale of Satampra Zeiros (this is the story my fave Great Old One Tsathoggua originates from, btw) the Door to Saturn, Dark Eidolon, Empire of the Necromancers, and the Seven Geases to start. Both of their work is available on Project Gutenberg.

Also you should know that by default the Dreamlands material Chaosium has published includes minor elements of non-Lovecraft material by the likes of Brian Lumley. I've never read any of that so I don't know how it is.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 25, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/shaneivey/status/939884160797331458

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Vote for mine!

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
no, vote for mine.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Vote for theirs

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Go vote!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSffni-3LXnez8axQN0N_zxJWLmI25Vz1ITNo9OlKSWmz45KMw/viewform

(for mine)

Clockwork, did you write one? Curious what one it was, there were some good ones (and some godawful ones)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Elendil004 posted:

Go vote!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSffni-3LXnez8axQN0N_zxJWLmI25Vz1ITNo9OlKSWmz45KMw/viewform

(for mine)

Clockwork, did you write one? Curious what one it was, there were some good ones (and some godawful ones)

I did. Its that one with the stuff.