Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

d0s posted:

I think waku waku 7 is the only sunsoft game I genuinely like, all their NES games everyone loves do nothing for me. idk what's broken in my head but none of it clicks with me

Can you at least admit that their music is bangin’?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Kid Fenris posted:

Legacy of the Wizard. It's a neat action-RPG where you explore a huge, complicated maze with multiple characters. It's difficult, but it's also fun to just mess around. And you can get it for under five bucks.

Goddamn I hated that game as a kid, couldn’t figure it out at all.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Pablo Gigante posted:

Can you at least admit that their music is bangin’?

yeah they sound good and even look good it's just the gameplay and idk the structure of the games

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Sir Tonk posted:

Goddamn I hated that game as a kid, couldn’t figure it out at all.

Goddamn I LOVED that game as a kid, couldn't figure it out at all.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

Goddamn I LOVED that game as a kid, couldn't figure it out at all.

this is how I felt about final lap twin because it was my first JRPG. I thought it was gonna be a normal racing game but it's basically dragon quest with racing instead of battles and I had never been exposed to the conventions of grinding and leveling up and stuff. I barely understood what was going on but I loved whatever it was

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I kind of miss how NES box art was either atrocious guesses based on a blurb about the game or a screenshot (MegaMan) or wickedly awesome Fire and Ice styled barbarian heavy metal cover poo poo.

Now it's all CGI renders and poo poo.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FilthyImp posted:

I kind of miss how NES box art was either atrocious guesses based on a blurb about the game or a screenshot (MegaMan) or wickedly awesome Fire and Ice styled barbarian heavy metal cover poo poo.

Now it's all CGI renders and poo poo.
box art has been all downhill since Phalanx (but that was SNES)

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

box art has been all downhill since Phalanx (but that was SNES)

phalanx did have a good box but it was not that US SNES one with the hick

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ambitious Spider posted:

I unironically love:

You should add it to your collection if you don't want to go with something boring and obvious

I still need to get the two Japan only sequels...

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

d0s posted:

I think waku waku 7 is the only sunsoft game I genuinely like, all their NES games everyone loves do nothing for me. idk what's broken in my head but none of it clicks with me

e: oh we're doing NES recommendations. this game is awesome and probably one of my favorites on the system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLYhJlolrOM

also if you want a racing game this is the best on the system imo (at least tied with the rad racers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yJp6AIxAMA

Those are both fantastic and in my collection, but I've literally never beaten the second stage of Conquest. I dunno what it is, but I just get stomped every time.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

hexwren posted:

Was just looking at my shelf of NES games and realized that I've got 74 games. #75 should be something good, not just a five-dollar mistake like a lot of these games. Here's what I've got. What should I go for that isn't a billion dollars?

https://pastebin.com/8CHDUy9f

You need more Konami games. Get any of the Castlevanias, Life Force, Jackal, Contra, Metal Gear, Stinger, Gradius, Gyruss, Rush N Attack, etc. etc. If you have a way to play FC carts, definitely go for Gradius 2 and Akumajou Densetsu (you'll also need expansion audio for the latter).

You have neither of the Zelda games. I have no idea how pricey they are but both are must-haves. The sequel has a lot of haters but I chalk that up to them being scrubs that suck at action games, it is one of the best side-scrolling action/RPGs ever.

Others: Ninja Gaiden, Dino Riki, Abadox, Adventures of Lolo, Dragon Warrior 2/3/4, Final Fantasy, Batman, any of the Adventure Islands, Vice Project Doom

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 10, 2017

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
just get T&C Surf Designs and stop your collection there until you can get past literally any level.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Ofecks posted:

Vice Project Doom

This gets my vote if you're willing to spend a little more. It's a really tight side-scroller mixed with some Spy Hunter, gallery shooting (without actual light gun support), and nihilistic cutscenes.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

hexwren posted:

Those are all on the list of games I have.

Turns out posting while half asleep isn't a great idea! I thought that was your wish list and you were asking what to buy next off it.

Anyway, I don't see Karnov or Monster Party on there, and they're cheap, good, and weird as hell.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Kid Fenris posted:

This gets my vote if you're willing to spend a little more. It's a really tight side-scroller mixed with some Spy Hunter, gallery shooting (without actual light gun support), and nihilistic cutscenes.
Yea, I take it back. If it comes down to C&D:RR or V:PD, project doom wins. That game, and shatterhand are the zenith of action platformers. Rescue rangers is more fun with a friend however.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Rescue Rangers 1 & 2 also just got re-released as part of the Disney Afternoon Collection but Vice Project Doom is never coming back.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

dude change your avatar.

I've grown to love the Pauline av, it makes me want to post less

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Rescue Rangers 1 & 2 also just got re-released as part of the Disney Afternoon Collection

That reminds me that I need to finish up the speedrun achievements for those games.

I am disturbingly highly placed for Duck Tales 2 speedrunning on the collection's leaderboards.

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.
A couple of years back, a friend gifted me his old SNES with no cables, a few games and two controllers. I already had at home an S-Video cable (that can also be used with a Playstation or X-box console and also can do composite), so I got a generic AC Adapter. Connected it to my Sony CRT tv, and worked fine. Decided to eventually get a flash cart for it, then forgot about until last black friday, when I finally ordered the Everdrive wtih DSP chip.

I received the Everdrive, so I hooked the SNES via S-Video, and now the colors have a darker reddish tint, and the image rolls vertically, on some titles constantly, on others, when there is a white screen, like on the Konami logo on their SNES titles. Decided to get a real Nintendo AC adapter. Same issue. Connected the console trough composite with another generic cable, and it got a bit better. But on white screens, continues to scroll vertically, and there is some horizontal distortion on lines of the screen.

I really don't want to change the console, but I guess I have no option now. Is there anything else I could do? the other SNES games I have exhibit the same issues, which they did not do before.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Kid Fenris posted:

Despite being an avid NES collector since whenever I started caring about collecting video games, I never bought Vice Project Doom because I had it confused with Code Name: Viper until recently. Every time I saw someone raving about it, I was just like—that game where the player character looks like he's not wearing any pants? It was okay, I guess?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Apropos of nothing: whatever happened to Treasure? Aside from an unsubstantiated rumour from last year that they were "done making new games" I can't find anything about them going bust or winding down or anything. Apparently they did some Japan-only anime tie-in 3DS games in 2013/2014, but their most recent international releases were Bangai-O for xbla in 2011, and Sin and Punishment 2 in 2009.

I'd rebuy Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga for PS4 in a heartbeat, just saying

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Topolino posted:

A couple of years back, a friend gifted me his old SNES with no cables, a few games and two controllers. I already had at home an S-Video cable (that can also be used with a Playstation or X-box console and also can do composite), so I got a generic AC Adapter. Connected it to my Sony CRT tv, and worked fine. Decided to eventually get a flash cart for it, then forgot about until last black friday, when I finally ordered the Everdrive wtih DSP chip.

I received the Everdrive, so I hooked the SNES via S-Video, and now the colors have a darker reddish tint, and the image rolls vertically, on some titles constantly, on others, when there is a white screen, like on the Konami logo on their SNES titles. Decided to get a real Nintendo AC adapter. Same issue. Connected the console trough composite with another generic cable, and it got a bit better. But on white screens, continues to scroll vertically, and there is some horizontal distortion on lines of the screen.

I really don't want to change the console, but I guess I have no option now. Is there anything else I could do? the other SNES games I have exhibit the same issues, which they did not do before.
Get a real Svideo cable. Those multi system ones are probably garbage and may not even be "real" svideo (it may just show a composite picture). If you get one that does not have the yellow composite connector it's more likely to be 'real'. I don't remember where I bought mine, but something like this is probably OK: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LE3EAIK/

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The Big Word posted:

Apropos of nothing: whatever happened to Treasure? Aside from an unsubstantiated rumour from last year that they were "done making new games" I can't find anything about them going bust or winding down or anything. Apparently they did some Japan-only anime tie-in 3DS games in 2013/2014, but their most recent international releases were Bangai-O for xbla in 2011, and Sin and Punishment 2 in 2009.

Treasure exists as a company and their president has promised to show something next year, but pretty much everyone else who worked on their classic library left years ago and is working elsewhere.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Treasure exists as a company and their president has promised to show something next year, but pretty much everyone else who worked on their classic library left years ago and is working elsewhere.

iirc, Treasure's always been more like a collective game jam than a proper company hasn't it? They just kinda come and go from the company as they have ideas for titles.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Kid Fenris posted:

Yeah that game rules.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

New MD/Genesis game on Kickstarter, with graphics by pixel art master Henk Nieborg.
Not surprisingly, it looks good.

https://twitter.com/BitmapBureau/status/940191744964091904

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I want to build my own 8 input SCART switch because I don't feel like paying $180 for one that I don't need all the features of. I have found sources for all of the parts except the scart connectors themselves. Being in the US makes them a bit difficult to source. Does anyone here have any ideas of where to get them, or maybe a reason not to build one that I'm not thinking of?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Big Word posted:

Supposedly they kept only getting offers from publishers to do social games for mobile, which their president kept refusing because come on man. Everything else PalleteSwapNinja said is true.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
pfff i managed to forget to bookmark the new thread and then forget about it entirely for months. hello, video games. they put keith courage in the new super robot wars

https://twitter.com/sebmal/status/940241766481125376

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

GutBomb posted:

I want to build my own 8 input SCART switch because I don't feel like paying $180 for one that I don't need all the features of. I have found sources for all of the parts except the scart connectors themselves. Being in the US makes them a bit difficult to source. Does anyone here have any ideas of where to get them, or maybe a reason not to build one that I'm not thinking of?

Digikey? I can't remember the other 2 big electronic catalog places.

E: mouser has it. 806-K-SCARTX-024, $2.50/ea

Phone fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 11, 2017

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Negrostrike posted:

New MD/Genesis game on Kickstarter, with graphics by pixel art master Henk Nieborg.

Cool, I just backed it as my first kickstarter thing ever. hopefully it doesn't suck that badly!

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

Negrostrike posted:

This is awesome. If not for the soundtrack provided by Savaged Regime, I'm still sold on this picture alone:

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

The Big Word posted:

Adding to what everyone else says, they released Ikaruga on Steam in 2014 which I feel everyone forgot about.

I would really like it if all the games they put on 360 came to Steam. There's Bangai-O, Guardian Heroes, and Radiant Silvergun.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

falz posted:

Get a real Svideo cable. Those multi system ones are probably garbage and may not even be "real" svideo (it may just show a composite picture). If you get one that does not have the yellow composite connector it's more likely to be 'real'. I don't remember where I bought mine, but something like this is probably OK: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LE3EAIK/

lol that one is also terrible. It was literally missing ground. here is one of the confirmed "good" cables that actually wire it up correctly: https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-best-S-video-cable-for-Nintendo-SNES-N64-Game-Cube-Svideo-SVHS-1-8m-6ft/131859379599

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Curious how that one is "lol also terrible"? I mean I don't know first hand as I don't have it, but the reviews are all solid.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Alucardd posted:

It was literally missing ground.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
Only 4 pins were populated on the MultiAV side, L Sound, R Sound, Chroma, Luma. No ground at all. It literally does not function. So even if it was a manufacturing error there is no way i can recommend it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

d0s posted:

phalanx did have a good box but it was not that US SNES one with the hick
I fixed your post :colbert:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

absolutely anything posted:

pfff i managed to forget to bookmark the new thread and then forget about it entirely for months. hello, video games. they put keith courage in the new super robot wars

https://twitter.com/sebmal/status/940241766481125376

uhh this is loving awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

iirc, Treasure's always been more like a collective game jam than a proper company hasn't it? They just kinda come and go from the company as they have ideas for titles.

That was true back in the day but I don't think it's necessarily true anymore - almost everyone you'd want to work on a Treasure game is gainfully employed at other companies and has been for some time and I don't think they're going to come back, but I'd love to be proven wrong.