Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If it's like call of misery, you need certain better knives to be allowed to actually harvest half the mutants, although I believe that mod implements it by not letting you even interact with a mutant that you're not allowed to harvest so it could be something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

v1ld posted:

configs/creatures/actor.ltx has these entries (power is stamina):
code:
stand_power             = -0.0075
walk_power              = 0.00001	;Reduction of force for a second during walking without taking into account weight of a burden
walk_weight_power       = 0.0044	;Reduction of force for a second during walking in view of weight of a burden, for the maximal allowable weight
overweight_walk_k       = 1.10		;Factor influence of an overload of a burden (it is multiplied on walk_weight_power)
accel_k                 = 1.3		;Factor on run (it is multiplied walk_power, walk_weight_power)
sprint_k                = 3.0 		; "sprint" (walk_power, walk_weight_power)

Update on this. I set the values back to (almost) vanilla values and am now having a much better time in Last Day. Being able to sprint for more than 3 seconds makes things a lot less tedious. I left the overweight value at the increased Last Day amount because I enjoy having to manage my inventory and deciding what is worth hauling back to a trader.

Also a video, I got my revenge on Skinflint for punching me in the side of the head!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPDxSJx_FrM

e: my video is dark as gently caress seeing it on the monitor at work. Going to see what I can do about brightness levels.

Jarf fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 6, 2017

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Jarf posted:

Update on this. I set the values back to (almost) vanilla values and am now having a much better time in Last Day. Being able to sprint for more than 3 seconds makes things a lot less tedious. I left the overweight value at the increased Last Day amount because I enjoy having to manage my inventory and deciding what is worth hauling back to a trader.

Also a video, I got my revenge on Skinflint for punching me in the side of the head!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPDxSJx_FrM

e: my video is dark as gently caress seeing it on the monitor at work. Going to see what I can do about brightness levels.

lmao that looked like payday, so many mans getting clicked on

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Still playing Last Day. Had a guide lead me to the truck cemetery, now I think I'm stuck there since I don't know any of the paths out. Is there anything I can do?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Budgie Jumping posted:

Still playing Last Day. Had a guide lead me to the truck cemetery, now I think I'm stuck there since I don't know any of the paths out. Is there anything I can do?

There is a jump_to_level console command that might work, I dunno if it's in CoC/CoM though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rkWUEiDu80

You could try posting on the moddb Last Day page too, the mod creator is pretty good about responding to questions there.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

null_pointer posted:

Man, I really wish I could get into Call of Chernobyl, or some other freeplay mod for CoP -- but the lack of story (no, the "Turn off the Brain Scorcher" and "Find the Wish Granter" goals don't really count) kills me. I keep on looking for a story, or a quest line. I tried Doctor X's quests, but they were all either lame or something that was far above my level ("hey, I know you just spawned in with a pistol, but here's a quest to go kill a military guy who's hunkered deep in the outpost near the cordon").

I'm reinstalling Shadow of Chernobyl and installing one of the wackier mods -- probably Joint Pak 2 with the "good" english translation.

Too bad, too -- I really love seeing the old SoC maps using the CoP engine. If there was some sort of quest line that wasn't just randomly generated garbage, I would be way into it.

I got into preaching the glory of the Monolith by heading to main faction bases and giving sermons with the muzzle of a gun

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Budgie Jumping posted:

The Small Last Day Tweaks mod restores an option to have all paths open by default.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
New Metro:Exodus trailer from Dec, 7th 2017:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxEljXm3OpI

Sorry for the derail: couldn't find the old Metro thread on here.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Fond memories of the Stalker games have got me reinstalling SoC. The OP hasn't been updated in 4 years, is Zone Reclamation still a solid choice?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
how do you actually play last day? i just downloaded it and gave it a try. first impressions:

start 1: spawned in a closed room on one side of the giant grapevine anomaly in pripyat, no way to get out except to jump. restarted.
start 2: figured out you can choose where you spawn, so i started on the skadovsk. walked around the ship a bit, heard sounds of fighting outside. went up to the upper deck to see, a reloading stalker popped out of the door into the ship, followed by two angry boars who killed me and then him.
start 3: skadovsk again. walked around, within minutes the ship was overrun by a pack of cats who killed gonta and a bunch of stalkers. i stood up on a railing so they couldn't reach me. killed them, cleared the lower ship of rats and dogs, went outside, got eaten by a bloodsucker.

i am unsure what i'm supposed to be doing in this mod.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

botany posted:

how do you actually play last day? i just downloaded it and gave it a try. first impressions:

start 1: spawned in a closed room on one side of the giant grapevine anomaly in pripyat, no way to get out except to jump. restarted.
start 2: figured out you can choose where you spawn, so i started on the skadovsk. walked around the ship a bit, heard sounds of fighting outside. went up to the upper deck to see, a reloading stalker popped out of the door into the ship, followed by two angry boars who killed me and then him.
start 3: skadovsk again. walked around, within minutes the ship was overrun by a pack of cats who killed gonta and a bunch of stalkers. i stood up on a railing so they couldn't reach me. killed them, cleared the lower ship of rats and dogs, went outside, got eaten by a bloodsucker.

i am unsure what i'm supposed to be doing in this mod.

I'm pretty sure but not positive that the CoP zones in Call of Misery and Last Day are brutal as gently caress and filled with zombies until you turn off the brain scorcher

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Yeah I usually start as Loner or Clear Sky in last day, that puts you in the swamp or cordon. Cordon is a little bit harder because of the military base, but if you want to go rambo on them, it can be easier to start collecting guns that way. The bandit bases in Cordon can be bigger too.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
I am generally of the opinion that Clear Sky is the best way to start CoM or Last Day. The reason being is that you're pretty friendly to a lot of factions, including the Mercs, have a great starting location which allows you a lot of easier conflicts to get your head around things and help you build cash, and a good set of merchants who also give quests. Oh and Doc also wanders around and gives you a few quests to do later on, which is a bonus.

You'll also be able to have a fantastic reputation with your own faction, compared to Loners who will only ever view you as Neutral. Loner's also get ripped off by Sidorovich in comparison to the Clear Sky merchants, who pay a better price for what you have. The Cordon also has more areas where Clear Sky groups will stay in or attempt to take and hold, which also gives you an opportunity for more quests, even if they are just the "fetch this" kind.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Jarf posted:

Thankyou very much.

Just stumbled across this on Reddit. Some kind of STALKER fan film? The trailer looks rad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFZdF9nkTy0

Wow, that looks awesome!

YouTube also suggested a longer video about the same thing, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpsj8VXDd-c

Some kind of behind-the-scenes/making of video.

And then YouTube suggested another STALKER fan film!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ONa92EmLbk

I wish there were English subtitles.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Do I need to do something different with ZRP to get it working with the Steam version of STALKER? I thought I followed the directions, but its not working.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Mill Village posted:

Do I need to do something different with ZRP to get it working with the Steam version of STALKER? I thought I followed the directions, but its not working.

I didn't have to. Is it crashing on startup or just not installing or what?

I've been playing CoM Last Day as Clear Sky recently, spent a few hours in the swamp and now I've moved to Cordon. Got a "kill the boars" quest from Fanatic in which we went to the boars and he was immediately one-shotted. rip Fanatic we hardly knew ye.

Sidorovich's door is also closed to me, any way to open it? Is it a reputation thing?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

I think it's just closed at night

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
So, Lost Alpha : DC 1005 released, I downloaded it (Via torrent,) Plus the expanded pack, I have a busy week, but I feel that the zone is patient. but, it seems to not start due to sound renderer....
Ah, now it starts happily, However, everything is in Russian. :(
...But that's sorted out quickly in options.
Annnnd my first crash.
just after i murked some piggies.

staberind fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 15, 2018

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Monolith versus Bandits ends predictably.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
There's a lot of talk about this Call of Misery lately and Last Day sounds pretty appealing. Did anyone go and make a faction wars thing for CoM?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Mill Village posted:

I am having the same issue. Install the game, then installed the mod. It runs fine, I got it all configured how I liked it. Only issue, I can't save! It seems like it works, but there is nothing on the Load/Save screen and I cant find the saves anywhere on my drive. I used to be semi-competent at installing mods and fussing with files, but it has been years and I have no idea what I am doing.

It is worth a wipe and reinstall?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

tight aspirations posted:

Monolith versus Bandits ends predictably.

Golden. great website, terrible writing, fantastic graft.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

NeoSeeker posted:

There's a lot of talk about this Call of Misery lately and Last Day sounds pretty appealing. Did anyone go and make a faction wars thing for CoM?

You can use the Dynamic Faction Relations with it but I don't think Warfare will work.

Fwiw I found Last Day to be overly tedious and bloated and buggy; normal CoM is better balanced and more fun.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Ok, so now even a new steam install of SoC will not let me save. Or rather, the save games are not showing up on the Load screen. Where should my saves be going?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

Ok, so now even a new steam install of SoC will not let me save. Or rather, the save games are not showing up on the Load screen. Where should my saves be going?

Look in the fsgame.ltx in your install directory for app_data_root, saves are inside of it. Default is a stalker-shoc folder under Documents. Try deleting that folder, the game will create a new one.

Or, edit fsgame.ltx and change the $app_data_root$ entry to be just "approot" without the quotes and the game will save under an approot folder inside your install directory. I find this the best method, it makes it easy to have several modded versions of the game.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I've started a new game on Last Day after a long STALKER hiatus. Are there any starter guides? There's a crapload of new items, so I'm guessing new mechanics, I started with just a pistol so I can't damage any mutants larger than rats, and I have only a single medkit and there's an awful lot that can kill you instantly.

I started off as Clear Sky in the Swamps but quickly realised that the radioactive water can kill you quickly and there's not lot you can do about it.

I've made it to Cordon but I feel like there's no way I can complete quests or progress: I only started with 6,000 Ru and Sid sells medkits for 4,000 each!

Edit: Walked out the rookie camp, a boar charged me once and I died. Reloaded, avoiding the boars and was attacked by dog. Managed to kill all 3 but then quickly died. This is intense!

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 24, 2018

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

v1ld posted:

Look in the fsgame.ltx in your install directory for app_data_root, saves are inside of it. Default is a stalker-shoc folder under Documents. Try deleting that folder, the game will create a new one.

Or, edit fsgame.ltx and change the $app_data_root$ entry to be just "approot" without the quotes and the game will save under an approot folder inside your install directory. I find this the best method, it makes it easy to have several modded versions of the game.

I couldn't find anything in my Document folder. I believe that I edited the fsgame.ltx file correctly, but the game would not start. I am going to do a more complete deletion and try yet another fresh install.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

nexus6 posted:

I've started a new game on Last Day after a long STALKER hiatus. Are there any starter guides? There's a crapload of new items, so I'm guessing new mechanics, I started with just a pistol so I can't damage any mutants larger than rats, and I have only a single medkit and there's an awful lot that can kill you instantly.

I started off as Clear Sky in the Swamps but quickly realised that the radioactive water can kill you quickly and there's not lot you can do about it.

I've made it to Cordon but I feel like there's no way I can complete quests or progress: I only started with 6,000 Ru and Sid sells medkits for 4,000 each!

Edit: Walked out the rookie camp, a boar charged me once and I died. Reloaded, avoiding the boars and was attacked by dog. Managed to kill all 3 but then quickly died. This is intense!

The swamps are a pretty great place to start, the water will kill you quickly but you can avoid it entirely. It's tedious to walk around, but tedium is an integral part of Misery!

Go around the Clear Sky base and get some quests, hope for a "lead the scientist to the place" one since he'll probably have an SMG and can help with mutant hunts (save his quest for last). If you can find a bandit camp in the swamps (top left usually), kill 'em and hope there's a shotgun and some ammo. Last Day's quest rewards net you some decent cash, 4 or 5 should get you 30-40k, plus a good chunk from loot.

Get used to quickloading...a lot.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I think i'm finally getting weary of my favorite FPS series ever. I tried coming back a few months ago to Call of Chernobyl, but I think I lost the patience for the jank, engine crashes, ridiculously lucky AI, and just all the other weirdness that comes with the series. Hoping Call of Misery will rekindle the flame. Maybe im just getting old and crusty, but the patience with jank isnt what it used to be.

I'm totally jealous of people experiencing the series for the first time. I've been chasing that atmospheric-horror high since 2012.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Ok, got the game up and running (and saving) and I have ZRP almost set how I want it. But, I would still like the guns to have a bit more power. Like I want armor and ammo to still matter, but I want catching a bandit with a 9mm round in the torso to be a bit more dramatic. Whats a good way to make a tweak like this?

I was thousands of posts behind in this thread, can anyone point me to the rough time when ZRP came out or was discussed the most?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

my bony fealty posted:

The swamps are a pretty great place to start, the water will kill you quickly but you can avoid it entirely. It's tedious to walk around, but tedium is an integral part of Misery!

Go around the Clear Sky base and get some quests, hope for a "lead the scientist to the place" one since he'll probably have an SMG and can help with mutant hunts (save his quest for last). If you can find a bandit camp in the swamps (top left usually), kill 'em and hope there's a shotgun and some ammo. Last Day's quest rewards net you some decent cash, 4 or 5 should get you 30-40k, plus a good chunk from loot.

Get used to quickloading...a lot.

I started as an ecologist in Jupiter. Got some zombies pretty easy and a couple snorks wiped out almost everybody around the lab. Mutants are really strong in this mod! Got a load of loot but pretty much all of it is around 5% durability. How do you repair weapons and armor? Mechanics charge an arm and a leg for repairs but I've got so much loot (that I can't sell) that I'm probably better off doing it myself.

Hmm, now bloodsuckers can enter Yanov station?

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 25, 2018

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I just installed Shadow of Chernobyl. What should I do now?
I would use the Complete mod, but I've heard lot of bad things about it plus that it's very out of date. I don't want ultra tedious hardcore survival mods, I want something that polishes mechanics, fixes bugs, perhaps adds upgraded weapon models and animations (I've seen videos showcasing really nice animations, but I heard they were hard to set up or something?) and doesn't need ton of tinkering with.

Fake edit: The second post that details the games and mods available for them was last edited in 2013 so might be outdated as well?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sininu posted:

I just installed Shadow of Chernobyl. What should I do now?
I would use the Complete mod, but I've heard lot of bad things about it plus that it's very out of date. I don't want ultra tedious hardcore survival mods, I want something that polishes mechanics, fixes bugs, perhaps adds upgraded weapon models and animations (I've seen videos showcasing really nice animations, but I heard they were hard to set up or something?) and doesn't need ton of tinkering with.

Fake edit: The second post that details the games and mods available for them was last edited in 2013 so might be outdated as well?

I think that Autumn Aurora 2.1 might be the best update/overhaul type mod at the moment. I haven't played SoC in a couple of years and never got very far with AA, but I've heard good things.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

nexus6 posted:

I started as an ecologist in Jupiter. Got some zombies pretty easy and a couple snorks wiped out almost everybody around the lab. Mutants are really strong in this mod! Got a load of loot but pretty much all of it is around 5% durability. How do you repair weapons and armor? Mechanics charge an arm and a leg for repairs but I've got so much loot (that I can't sell) that I'm probably better off doing it myself.

Hmm, now bloodsuckers can enter Yanov station?

Repairing isn't profitable. But basically there's a bunch of repair stuff in the shops that work at certain thresholds. The items used to repair below like 40% durability are the most expensive. Barrel swaps I think are the most cost effective.
You should buy a hammer or crowbar and the Swiss army knife. You can click drag it onto guns and armor to scrap them for parts, used to repair stuff.
You are basically forced to concentrate most of your funds to repairing and maintaining 1 gun.

There are a bunch of mods bundled with the game that can change the economy and repair stuff prices.

You can save a lot of money, ammo, durability by knife killing boars at the end of their kiting range.

It might be worth creating a new save file and using the Dev console and spawning items/money to play with it. (I think press S at the ESC-menu screen)

darkhand fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 25, 2018

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

I think that Autumn Aurora 2.1 might be the best update/overhaul type mod at the moment. I haven't played SoC in a couple of years and never got very far with AA, but I've heard good things.

I played it, it really improves the look of SoC. I'd recommend it.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

turn off the TV posted:

Thanks, installed this and ran around the starting area a bit. Looks good so far. I'll try to play this properly later tomorrow though.

I noticed there was normal and low crouch on different buttons and low crouch only worked while I held the key for normal one down. That's annoying. Can I fix that as the normal crouch seems to be less useful? Also any other keybinding tips would be appreciated.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 26, 2018

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
try turning on toggle crouch, i think it's in the key bindings

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

buglord posted:

I think i'm finally getting weary of my favorite FPS series ever. I tried coming back a few months ago to Call of Chernobyl, but I think I lost the patience for the jank, engine crashes, ridiculously lucky AI, and just all the other weirdness that comes with the series. Hoping Call of Misery will rekindle the flame. Maybe im just getting old and crusty, but the patience with jank isnt what it used to be.

I'm totally jealous of people experiencing the series for the first time. I've been chasing that atmospheric-horror high since 2012.

Metro 2033 in sandbox Chernobyl maps would probably be it for me. Got that same itch. Besides, how old are the games now? It's starting to look so dated and ugly it gets almost yaring.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

bongwizzard posted:

Ok, got the game up and running (and saving) and I have ZRP almost set how I want it. But, I would still like the guns to have a bit more power. Like I want armor and ammo to still matter, but I want catching a bandit with a 9mm round in the torso to be a bit more dramatic. Whats a good way to make a tweak like this?

I was thousands of posts behind in this thread, can anyone point me to the rough time when ZRP came out or was discussed the most?

Edit the actor values a bit. Give specific enemies a little less hp and you get more satisfying play while saving a lot of boring ammo tweaking.

Or lower piercing_resistence (bullet resistance) either in actors or their armour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Sininu posted:

Thanks, installed this and ran around the starting area a bit. Looks good so far. I'll try to play this properly later tomorrow though.

I noticed there was normal and low crouch on different buttons and low crouch only worked while I held the key for normal one down. That's annoying. Can I fix that as the normal crouch seems to be less useful? Also any other keybinding tips would be appreciated.

Be careful with Autumn Aurora, specifically don't accept too many tasks at once. It will reliably crash and corrupt your save if you have too many active tasks, keep it at 5 or less. It's a really great mod and great way to play SOC but is pretty buggy and save corruption happens a lot. Make a lot of hard saves at key points.

Fwiw I'd recommend playing through SOC with just ZRP first, Autumn Aurora does change/add some gameplay stuff that makes the experience different. Repairing, sleeping, detectors aren't in SOC, and medkits work differently. AA is also just generally more difficult.