Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

General_Failure posted:

I literally never use the Windows key so I couldn't care less about that.

As a daily Windows-R, E, L, M, P, Tab, Up, Down, Left, and Right user, I say to you Good Day Sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
How do you never use the windows key?!

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I’ve never used it either. Just never developed the knowledge of any of the commands/shortcuts or the muscle memory.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Adiabatic posted:

As a daily Windows-R, E, L, M, P, Tab, Up, Down, Left, and Right user, I say to you Good Day Sir.

As a daily shitposter i say to u *ppppfhhlllppphhhllfffffaaaaarrrt*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

General_Failure posted:

I get $26.99. Aww :(

There's a 30% off coupon on the page.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Adiabatic posted:

Same here, it's ridiculously useful especially for multimonitor setups.

I guess it only took 15 years or so for it to become useful.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

OP had me up against the inside wall of that trailer :quagmire: (..... with furniture)

Good meeting you man. Hope everything made the trip in one piece.

I pulled out most everything and so far it looks pretty good. I haven't uncovered the china cabinet yet but a little shaking didn't make any broken glass sounds so I think that might have been a success!
Seriously, thanks again for all your help. That whole process of cleaning out my dad's house was probably the hardest thing I've ever done.
The whole drive back from Texas was pretty good. I went 60-65 behind tractor-trailers the whole way and managed to average about 13mpg.
A pitstop in Nashville earned me a pretty good growler of beer. (I already drank the beer.)

I also got to see a friend I hadn't seen in a long time, which was pretty cathartic after all of that poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I got some some rolls of vinyl flooring at Ollies a fee weeks ago, using them to protect the floor from my gym equipment. Turned out pretty nice and they have a bonus discount tonighy so i think im gonna grab some more to cover the garage floor. Way cheaper than epoxy or snap fit flooring. Anybody else have unique solutions for keeping their garage concrete clean?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Anybody else have unique solutions for keeping their garage concrete clean?

If you spill oil over every square inch of it, the floor becomes very consistent.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
For gently caress's sake. Looks like I've got another puncture in the Zoe, in one of the tyres I put on a couple of months back when it happened the first time.

cakesmith handyman posted:

In case anyone thought I was exaggerating...

Mmm, lovely.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

For gently caress's sake. Looks like I've got another puncture in the Zoe, in one of the tyres I put on a couple of months back when it happened the first time.

Just take it to a bicycle shop and get one of those bulletproof kevlar tires that 14 kept chewing up.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rhyno posted:

I got some some rolls of vinyl flooring at Ollies a fee weeks ago, using them to protect the floor from my gym equipment. Turned out pretty nice and they have a bonus discount tonighy so i think im gonna grab some more to cover the garage floor. Way cheaper than epoxy or snap fit flooring. Anybody else have unique solutions for keeping their garage concrete clean?

Red carpet.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 10, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave posted:

Had a look. Yep, screw in it, right next to the sidewall, so not fixable. Bollocks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Mrs. and I went over to some friends for dinner a drinks last night. They just got back from a week in Cuba and broke open a bottle of Legendario Elixir de Cuba that they picked up while down there.

Was expecting a dark rum, definitely not that. Much more of a liquor than a rum. Sweeter than I expected (I was expecting a straight up dark rum) but nice as a digestif and I thought the flavors were great. Going to be trying to find it at a local store today and buy for some Christmas presents. Supposedly fairly popular in Europe? I've never heard/seen it before.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
:frogsiren: effort post :frogsiren:

So I had to drive to Dallas from DC to go clean out my Dad's house. He died almost a year ago so this whole thing has been a long time coming.
Please, sit back, relax, and join my on my quest to settle my dad's estate.

Before I could hit the road, I needed an oil change. I could do it myself, but the dealership does it for $35 including rotating the tires and checking out all sorts of other poo poo, so I fuckin' let them do it. I tell them I've got a little oil leak that I want them to check out and they oblige. I dropped the truck off and got a call later that day saying that I needed new valve cover gaskets, a new drain plug (the p.o. had put some lovely petcock thing on there instead of a proper plug), and that ~~somebody~~
had hosed up my brake job this past summer and that my front driver's side brakes were F-U-K-T.
Well I had done the brake job, and apparently I hosed up and put two inner pads on one side and two outer pads on the other. Whoops.
Of course the dealership didn't tell me this until I went to pick up the truck on THE DAY THAT I'M SUPPOSED TO LEAVE. So I swung by Advance Auto on the way home and picked up 4 sets of pads and 4 rotors just minutes before they were about to close.
I stayed up way too late looking over my truck, re-positioning the intake hoses and clamps and boots and poo poo, replaced the K&N filter with a paper FRAM one, etc... And of course, replacing the brakes:

Pull up.

Wheel off.

Beer.

New pads.

Barely used old pads. Such a waste.

Sexy new painted rotors.

Passenger side lookin' good.

Drivers' side, not so much.

Yeah, whoops.

Couldn't use air tools, because it was so late and I didn't want to piss off the neighbors. Somehow I thought this was an okay idea though.

At least it worked.

Problem solved.

Ready to hit the road.

Just outside Roanoke.

Aww... look! A camper towing a Goldwing. That seems like a really weird way to do it though... And it's bouncing all over the loving place.

This does not seem like a good idea.

Salvation!

Breakfast.

I arrived in one piece, met my sisters and my grandmother who were already there. They had flown in 2 days earlier but hadn't really accomplished anything except cleaning a bathroom.

Nana took us out to dinner at Ruth's Chris.

It was fukkin good.

I made a couple runs to Goodwill.

Then everybody left on Sunday and I was alone, in this house, full of poo poo where my dad died.
<insert multiple days of me sorting through piles of poo poo, trash, trinkets, and sentimental stuff. Running to the DMV, County Tax Office, Public Safety Office, Game and Wildlife Office and a whole bunch of other places to sort out paperwork>
But nobody wants to hear about the lovely parts so I'm leaving out the details.

I ate a bunch of these.

Which helped me move this loving thing.
Like an idiot I of course tried to move it with the door on, only to find out that it wouldn't fit through the closet door. I had to put it back and take the door off so it would fit through. The door is pretty heavy.

The next day I went to Pecan Lodge and got some BBQ

Then Yu-Gi-Oh! drove 45 minutes down to help me load some poo poo.

I fixed the hottub but never actually got to sit in it :(

Then loaded more stuff.

Took out the trash.

WHATABURGERPATTYMELT!

Cleaned out the garage. Put a new battery in the Volvo, but it still won't start. gently caress it, I'm donating it. It was already totaled.
Tried to start the boat, the battery is completely hosed, even after charging. Which is probably for the best because the gas that is in it is at least 4 years old.
Hopefully the realtor is able to sort those two things out for me.
I'm not sure I'm feeling up for taking any more time off work just to drive down and bring back a boat that I have no place for.

Anywho, like I said already... the drive back was pretty easy. I took it slow. Stopped a bunch along the way. Did it in 2 days, instead of 20 hours like the trip down there.
It started to snow by the time I got around Bristol, but I managed to get ahead of the weather and beat it home.

The brakes worked like a champ. I'm glad I had already beded in the pads before I left, because there were a couple butthole puckering moments where I had to stand on the brakes.
The truck still leaks oil though.

Welp, that's my story.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 10, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Welp, that's my story.

Good post. Sounds pretty rough few days you had there.

I dread having to go through the same thing one day. :smith:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

That’s a long post and a rough thing to go through. I don’t look forward to that day.
We have similar license plates :3:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Somewhat Heroic posted:

We have similar license plates :3:

That is loving fantastic.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My project is almost done and holy poo poo am I tired. Worked 60 hours last week to have it be able to be demod only for the head of the business unit to not have time to see it in beta :argh:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Rhyno posted:

Carpet remnants are really nice for working on and can absorb a stupid amount of spilled fluids before they need to be destoroyed. Otherwise I leaf blow the garage Friday night and again Sunday night if I worked with the garage open over the weekend. Floor looks clean but it always moves a lot of dust/dirt/crap out.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Then Yu-Gi-Oh! drove 45 minutes down to help me load some poo poo.

Welp, that's my story.
Have that same dolly and we used the hell out of it moving. Heck of a way to spend a week, my parents have been going through this with their parents recently. Nothing like last minute repairs to add just a little more stress to the trip.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

the spyder posted:

I've got a stack of hdd's here to get rid of after upgrading my NAS and lab boxes, but holy poo poo is it a crap show to try and sell them. I'm probably going to just list them as a lot on eBay and let someone else deal with the flakes/scammers.

Is there an easy way to over-write a HDD so nothing is recoverable? Like just over-write with of garbage? I have some 4TB drives that I no longer use, but I want to do something more than just a format to make sure if some enterprising individual goes snooping doesn't recover any of my personal info.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Is there an easy way to over-write a HDD so nothing is recoverable? Like just over-write with of garbage? I have some 4TB drives that I no longer use, but I want to do something more than just a format to make sure if some enterprising individual goes snooping doesn't recover any of my personal info.

Zero fill. Most HD management programs should have the option.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I don't think I have any of those programs. Is there a freebie/cheapo program that can do that?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

slidebite posted:

I usually overwrite them with a sledgehammer

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Usually .45" holes, for me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That made sense when they were rapidly outdated. My oldest 3TB drive is probably 6-7 years old now, and the most common hard drive on the shelf is still a 3TB. 6-7 years before that it was all 250gb drives, 6-7 years before that it was 40gb drives. The growth and mainstream need has stalled.

Also, i usually pull old drives apart and steal the crazy drive head magnets.

slidebite posted:

I don't think I have any of those programs. Is there a freebie/cheapo program that can do that?
I haven't had to do it in quite a while, I wouldn't even know which to recommend. It's not a complex process so any of the first google results should work as long as they're clean.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

slidebite posted:

CCleaner has a drive wipe function with varying degrees of complexity (basically, how many passes do you want it to make?)

There are plenty of standalone free/shareware utilities too - just google "drive wiping utility."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

CCleaner has a drive wipe function with varying degrees of complexity (basically, how many passes do you want it to make?)

There are plenty of standalone free/shareware utilities too - just google "drive wiping utility."

Just run UBCD and run a DBAN wipe.

Avoid CC Cleaner.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/dban.html

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I pull drives apart in the very rare event I dispose of one. If I'm really worried someone is going to go through the effort of recovering data off the platters I'll scuff and hammer on them a little first. If someone really wants my data after that point, they're welcome to it.

Most workplaces just send them through a metal shredder.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

NitroSpazzz posted:

Carpet remnants are really nice for working on and can absorb a stupid amount of spilled fluids before they need to be destoroyed. Otherwise I leaf blow the garage Friday night and again Sunday night if I worked with the garage open over the weekend. Floor looks clean but it always moves a lot of dust/dirt/crap out.

Have that same dolly and we used the hell out of it moving. Heck of a way to spend a week, my parents have been going through this with their parents recently. Nothing like last minute repairs to add just a little more stress to the trip.

Actually, I think it was probably more stressful for everyone else than it was for me.
I was so wrapped up in thinking about all the things I needed to do and how I was going to get it done plus fighting with half my family about driving down there, meanwhile my siblings are telling me to hurry my rear end up and get down there with the trailer so they can get stuff out...
Having to do the brakes last minute allowed me to forget about everything else and focus on just one thing right before hitting the road.

Zen out, drink beer, turn wrench, drive. It was good.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I pull drives apart in the very rare event I dispose of one. If I'm really worried someone is going to go through the effort of recovering data off the platters I'll scuff and hammer on them a little first. If someone really wants my data after that point, they're welcome to it.

Most workplaces just send them through a metal shredder.

I take drives apart for the magnets.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
There used to be a goon who made roses from hard drive magnets but I haven't seen him in years.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Just run UBCD and run a DBAN wipe.

Avoid CC Cleaner.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/dban.html

DBAN is what I use as well, especially if I'm not going to repurpose it elsewhere.

If the drive died and is out of warranty, I disassemble it. Partly to see what failed (I had a batch of HD154UIs that would turn into platter lathes), partly to collect magnets.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Welp, that's my story.

:(

After my grandmother passed away this summer and my mom dealt with family bullshit, once she got home she started going through her own things. Thanks mom, but :(

My parents have a lot of stuff, same house for almost 30 years, and they both have hobbies. It's always going to be rough.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

IOwnCalculus posted:

DBAN is what I use as well, especially if I'm not going to repurpose it elsewhere.

If the drive died and is out of warranty, I disassemble it. Partly to see what failed (I had a batch of HD154UIs that would turn into platter lathes), partly to collect magnets.

DBAN is pretty much the industry standard and beloved of by greybeards, so you know it will work properly.

Unusually for something that the beardies like, it isn't horrible to use.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I always disassemble the drives because, hey, free neodymium magnets.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You know, if the car you're selling DOESN'T loving RUN YOU SHOULD PROBABLY SAY THAT IN THE GODDAMNED CRAIGSLIST AD.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

But then how would they get you there for the hard sell?

All it needs is a oxy sensor right

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

But then how would they get you there for the hard sell?

All it needs is a oxy sensor right

It was the Spectra. "All the parts are there, just needs to be put back together." They'd torn the engine apart and tossed the parts in the trunk.

Edit: My soon to be cousin-in law works at a Ford dealer in central Indiana and has extended an offer of family pricing to me if I see anything I like in the used cars. This Focus popped out at me and he says I can probably get it for $2100 since they've had it for a while.
https://www.andymohrford.com/inventory/2006-ford-focus-zx4-fwd-4d-sedan-1fafp38z76w217342

He claims it's 100% mechanically sound, heat and AC work fine. But ugh, I thought they got way better mpg than 20/28. My lovely Escort was getting close to 30 with little highway driving.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 11, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

:lol:

[e] https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/d/94-mazda-protege-lx/6387818326.html

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rhyno posted:

Edit: My soon to be cousin-in law works at a Ford dealer in central Indiana and has extended an offer of family pricing to me if I see anything I like in the used cars. This Focus popped out at me and he says I can probably get it for $2100 since they've had it for a while.
https://www.andymohrford.com/inventory/2006-ford-focus-zx4-fwd-4d-sedan-1fafp38z76w217342

He claims it's 100% mechanically sound, heat and AC work fine. But ugh, I thought they got way better mpg than 20/28. My lovely Escort was getting close to 30 with little highway driving.

That's the bastard first gen facelift ST, uses a Duratec 2.3 with (possibly?) more aggressive tuning. 20/28 is about right, my wife has an '06 Fusion with the same engine running through a 5 speed automatic and it gets in the mid-20s in mixed driving, so if anything I'd expect a bit better mileage out of it, between a lighter car and manual transmission. Interior is bland mid-2000s Ford parts bin.

Overall its not a terrible car, it replaced the SVT and in that role its kind of ho-hum. All it had over the base models was 0.3L more displacement, the same suspension out of the SVT, rear disc brakes and slightly larger front rotors. There should still be some decent aftermarket parts available for cheap used if you're into that. IIRC Cosworth sold an intake manifold that with a tune added something 15-20 WHP, and then there were two more stages of bolt-on mods (cams, header and additional tuning?) that they claimed would add something like 50 HP N/A.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 11, 2017

• Locked thread