Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Real hurthling! posted:

I like the wyvern blade a lot any tips to maximize damage?

upgrade to red as quickly as possible and try to keep it there, mostly. the helm breaker follow up to the spirit thrust (r2+triangle then triangle again after it connects) does a lot more damage at red. it'll drop you down a level but it makes your meter automatically refill so from there it's easy to spirit combo to get back to red. whether or not spamming that is the best dps remains to be seen but it sure looks cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

I like the wyvern blade a lot any tips to maximize damage?

The general idea of the longsword is the Spirit Gauge. It's that bar that looks like a sword underneath your sharpness gauge. When you do regular triangle attacks, the middle of the bar fills up. This bar is what you need to do the R2 attacks. The main R2 combo is R2 four times. When you connect with the last hit of the combo, it levels up your gauge and increases your damage. The first level is white, second level is yellow, final level is red.

There are some more tricks to it, but that's the basic idea.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you can do abbreviated spirit combos by starting them after a fade slash (triangle + o, good for re positioning or getting out of the way of attacks), foresight slash (r2 + o, it's like a counter? it's really good if you can land it), or while in the air or sliding down an incline, so do those if you want to look cool and power up faster at the same time. you can practice all of those except for the foresight slash in the training room because it requires an enemy to actually attack you

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
How do you start the aerial spirit combo? Is it just R2 while in the air?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Yup, R2 in all of those cases.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
MonHun newb here: while I won’t claim this to be the best demo ever, I think I am on-board! Feel like I need to read a time to decypher all the nuance and hidden techniques.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/streetfighter/status/939989924727595008

Just announced at Capcom Cup.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Konami imploded and Capcom is on fire.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If they don't overprice it I'm in on both PC and PS4.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

There's gonna be online for sf2 hyper fighting, super sf 2 turbo, sf alpha 3 and 3rd strike. I missed out on 3rd strike so looking forward to that

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

That's really neat. I might buy it just for the sheer novelty of it and I'm not usually big for fighting games.

Think it'll have any museum stuff Ala rare replay?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Finished Hellblade.

That was a bad game and i want my €20 back, thanks. It looks great, the positional audio was cool the first couple of times until you realize that the voices say the exact same things every time they happen, the combat was terrible laggy shite as well as being clearly telegraphed every time because it only happens in round rooms, the puzzles were retard-easy and your character moves slowly to pad the length of the game as you listen to audio logs.

A pure strain example of style over substance.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's very weird seeing people talk about monster hunter being some impending high profile failure as if it's not a series that's been around for 13 years and regularly released outside of japan. I guess there's that many people who have somehow never heard of it and think it's a new thing.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

That's really neat. I might buy it just for the sheer novelty of it and I'm not usually big for fighting games.

Think it'll have any museum stuff Ala rare replay?

not sure what rare has but from the announcement trailer its got concept art, sprite viewers, music archive and an interactive timeline, whatever that is.

Apparently it's gonna be $39.99, for which you get 12 games + extras, which is the same price as the lovely version of SF2 they released on the switch

Bad Parenting fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 11, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

absolutely anything posted:

"nobody really cares about these strange eastern games" he says in the year where 99% of the biggest games were japanese

pretty much

Holy gently caress the PS4 is a goddamn dream come true coming out of the cynical years of PS360 western-developed gaming trends, I forgot how much I missed all the good poo poo from Japan. We're literally living in a japanese gaming renaissance, and the PS4 might be the best console I've ever owned.

Nier: Automata, Persona 5, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Yakuza 0, Final Fantasy 15, Monster Hunter: World, The Last Guardian

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It took Japan this long to figure their poo poo out but it was worth the wait.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Policenaut posted:

It took Japan this long to figure their poo poo out but it was worth the wait.

To be fair to Japanese devs, the 360 was the main platform for most of the last gen and it sold abysmally in Japan so it was suicide to develop games for it that might only have a Japanese audience.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

I'm not a fan of fighting games but this is a drat stellar package. Also kinda funny, it almost seems like they're owning up that V wasn't well thought out so might as well re-release the ones that people liked.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Samuringa posted:

I'm not a fan of fighting games but this is a drat stellar package. Also kinda funny, it almost seems like they're owning up that V wasn't well thought out so might as well re-release the ones that people liked.

Dont assume positive or smart things about capcom

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Digirat posted:

It's very weird seeing people talk about monster hunter being some impending high profile failure as if it's not a series that's been around for 13 years and regularly released outside of japan. I guess there's that many people who have somehow never heard of it and think it's a new thing.

capcom has been trying and failing to figure out the western market with monster hunter for exactly as long as the game has existed and that's what people are talking about; the game not doing well in the west (again)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s because Western gamers hate loving time limits in games, this is not hard.

Time limitations can theoretically be implemented in a meaningful way (Majora’s Mask and Crazy Taxi are probably the best examples of this) but “you have one hour to find the dinosaur before it escapes” is just loving kryptonite to the overwhelming majority of gamers who, surprise, don’t want to watch the clock while gaming.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tbh from what I've seen of the series, there's a lot of ways in which you can bounce off the game. I bet a lot of people tried the 3ds demos for all of 5 seconds before deleting them because of the insanely bad controls

it seems like the kind of series that's hard to start but gets really cool once you get the hang of it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

capcom has been trying and failing to figure out the western market with monster hunter for exactly as long as the game has existed

if this were true they wouldn't have kept it on handhelds for the majority of its existence

hell, it's only very recently that the west started getting the games at the same time as japan did

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Manatee Cannon posted:

tbh from what I've seen of the series, there's a lot of ways in which you can bounce off the game. I bet a lot of people tried the 3ds demos for all of 5 seconds before deleting them because of the insanely bad controls

it seems like the kind of series that's hard to start but gets really cool once you get the hang of it

The 3DS demo was my only MonHun experience and i didn't even finish it because it was really obviously cheap janky poo poo.

I should probably give the PS4 version a shot.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

spudsbuckley posted:

To be fair to Japanese devs, the 360 was the main platform for most of the last gen and it sold abysmally in Japan so it was suicide to develop games for it that might only have a Japanese audience.

yea and so many of them suicided their franchises by taking microsoft money for exclusivity. thankfully the xbone is doing so poorly that they cant possibly even consider doing that this gen.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

abagofcheetos posted:

yea and so many of them suicided their franchises by taking microsoft money for exclusivity. thankfully the xbone is doing so poorly that they cant possibly even consider doing that this gen.
MS really did just take their success in gaming across the whole world and throw it all in the toilet while everyone was watching.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Time limitations can theoretically be implemented in a meaningful way (Majora’s Mask and Crazy Taxi are probably the best examples of this) but “you have one hour to find the dinosaur before it escapes” is just loving kryptonite to the overwhelming majority of gamers who, surprise, don’t want to watch the clock while gaming.

The time limit in MH never even comes close to being an issue unless you are doing hunts later in the game in your starting gear. I've only played since tri so I'm not sure if it's always been the case but if a hunt is taking more that 15 mins or so, then your gear could probably do with an upgrade.

They lowered the time limit in the demo to 20 mins but I'm sure in the full game it will be 50-60 mins and you'll never come close to hitting it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

I have literally never heard complaints about the time limit in general before now and they are a complete nonissue in 99% of hunts, like you have to be at an extremely weird skill level to be incapable of killing/capping in 50 minutes but also not carting 3 times over that entire interval (assuming your gear is not lagging way behind). The demo is just the stage demo so it has a tiny time limit, but that is not standard and suddenly people who have never played MH before are acting like it is.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Romancing SaGa 3 is getting a remake in the same vein of the Romancing SaGa 2 remake coming out this week on the PSN. No release date to announce.

https://twitter.com/SaGa25kawazu/status/939838048388313088

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I played a lot of SFII in the arcades back in the day, and while I am old and get confused with things like "Supers" and "Ultras" I am so buying this.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah I wouldn’t mind a fighting game without insane complex move sets

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Okay, so now that the conferences of this year are over, what are the major console releases for 2018? Because I was thinking about it, and kinda falling short on notable titles.

MonHun and DBZ Fighterz are in January, There's Shadow of the Colossus in February, God of War is in March.

Spider-man doesn't have a fixed date but it's confirmed for next year - barring any unforeseen issues.

I'm probably the only person here interested in Detroit because I'm a sucker for detective games so I'm not going to count it.

I could see The Last of Us Part II being a very late 2018 launch but I wouldn't bet on it.

Ghosts of Tsuchima is obviously very early in development.

FF7R is having a very troubled production and it's going to be episodic, so not anytime soon.

I would be very surprised if Kingdom Hearts III came out next year but I wouldn't bet on it.

Death Stranding is a mid-to-late 2019 release at best.

Whatever three projects FROM is working on are either still in it's beginning stages or they are the best company in the world at keeping secrets.

Anything that I'm missing?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Yakuza 6
EDF5
Red Dead Redemption 2
Dragon Quest XI

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I wanna see what happens to RDR and loot boxes

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I wanna see what happens to RDR and loot boxes

It's probably going to have the exact same system that GTA Online has. It made Rockstar a billion dollars, they'll probably keep using it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TLOU2 is 2019

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Samuringa posted:

Okay, so now that the conferences of this year are over, what are the major console releases for 2018? Because I was thinking about it, and kinda falling short on notable titles.

MonHun and DBZ Fighterz are in January, There's Shadow of the Colossus in February, God of War is in March.

Spider-man doesn't have a fixed date but it's confirmed for next year - barring any unforeseen issues.

I'm probably the only person here interested in Detroit because I'm a sucker for detective games so I'm not going to count it.

I could see The Last of Us Part II being a very late 2018 launch but I wouldn't bet on it.

Ghosts of Tsuchima is obviously very early in development.

FF7R is having a very troubled production and it's going to be episodic, so not anytime soon.

I would be very surprised if Kingdom Hearts III came out next year but I wouldn't bet on it.

Death Stranding is a mid-to-late 2019 release at best.

Whatever three projects FROM is working on are either still in it's beginning stages or they are the best company in the world at keeping secrets.

Anything that I'm missing?

Ghost of Tsuchima is actually in advanced development. Don't remember if they promised a 2018 release date (don't think so), but iirc Sony said they didn't want to reveal it too early like they've sometimes done with their games.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Ni No Kuni II :colbert:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Shenmue 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ace Combat 7.
Far Cry 5
Vampyr