Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Electric Bugaloo posted:

....and have the whole thing be an unstable wobbly mess when you fail to add a key structural element, like the cardboard backing that people often throw out.

The shelf that is likely supported by four pegs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cojawfee posted:

The shelf that is likely supported by four pegs?

I was joking, mostly. Not very well tho.

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe
I'm hoping you guys can help me with my new turntable. I just bought a whole new stereo system, with a AT-LP120 from Audio Technica. I put it all together and leveled it and balanced the tone arm and calibrated the stylus with a protractor from vinyl engine. Everything went smoothly afaik.

The problem is when I play anything on it I can see the woofers on my speakers just banging, like full extension, even when there isn't really even any bass on the track. The player is hooked up to the phono input with the preamp switch turned to phono on the table itself, but it also happens when I switch it to line and hook it up to another spot on my receiver. It's happened with 2 different records so far (all I have right now). I'm seriously worried I am going to damage my speakers. Anybody know what's up?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

It's rumble from the turntable, usually the bearing.

You can buy rumble filters or get a phono preamp with one built in.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

naughty_penguin posted:

I'm hoping you guys can help me with my new turntable. I just bought a whole new stereo system, with a AT-LP120 from Audio Technica. I put it all together and leveled it and balanced the tone arm and calibrated the stylus with a protractor from vinyl engine. Everything went smoothly afaik.

The problem is when I play anything on it I can see the woofers on my speakers just banging, like full extension, even when there isn't really even any bass on the track. The player is hooked up to the phono input with the preamp switch turned to phono on the table itself, but it also happens when I switch it to line and hook it up to another spot on my receiver. It's happened with 2 different records so far (all I have right now). I'm seriously worried I am going to damage my speakers. Anybody know what's up?

What happens when you use another source , like a CD player?

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

What happens when you use another source , like a CD player?

Works great. No problems on anything but the turntable.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

First make sure your receiver doesn't have a low pass filter built in. Some of them do.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
Picked these up last week for $80,

Yamaha NS-550's, I can't find much info on them but from an initial listening they might replace my Dynaco A-50's.

Really need to get off my rear end and hook up my A/B selector to properly compare them.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

So, my local Walmart sells vinyl now. They’ve got a decent selection of 180 gram classic albums. For the hell of it (and because my collection was missing both) I bought Nevermind and American Beauty, and the sound quality seems to be pretty good on both. $22.97 each, no matter if it’s 1 or 2 LPs (and they had a few picture discs for the same price, like Thriller and Purple Rain).
They also were selling Audio Technica turntables but I didn’t catch the price.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Does this thread have any feelings on the Teac TN-400S? I'm trying to get (back) into vinyl and I can get a new one for $280. Seems like a pretty dang good deal and I'm not seeing any major issues.

Quick edit: my local craigslist does not have too much. A Dual 505-1 popped up recently for $200 and I think I might be better off with the Teac.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

DeNofa posted:

Does this thread have any feelings on the Teac TN-400S? I'm trying to get (back) into vinyl and I can get a new one for $280. Seems like a pretty dang good deal and I'm not seeing any major issues.

Quick edit: my local craigslist does not have too much. A Dual 505-1 popped up recently for $200 and I think I might be better off with the Teac.

They're meh. This is great though:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/teac-tn-420-turntable :420:

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
So, I have a Empire 698 (which is working fine) , but I am reading that the headshell is a unicorn part. I notice it ‘slides’ into place instead of having the 4 wire hook-up like most cartridges.

Anyone know about these and able to tell me more?

I’ve mentioned it before, but I picked this, a Kenwood KA-9100 a KT-8300 two JVC Zero 5’s, all working in mint condition WITH the original boxes for $500 . It also came with a custom handmade wooden stand and a stack of mint condition records. Deal of the century

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dr.Caligari posted:

So, I have a Empire 698 (which is working fine) , but I am reading that the headshell is a unicorn part. I notice it ‘slides’ into place instead of having the 4 wire hook-up like most cartridges.

Anyone know about these and able to tell me more?

I’ve mentioned it before, but I picked this, a Kenwood KA-9100 a KT-8300 two JVC Zero 5’s, all working in mint condition WITH the original boxes for $500 . It also came with a custom handmade wooden stand and a stack of mint condition records. Deal of the century

Kenwood's are great. I have the baby, baby brother, the KA-501, and I love it. The 9100 is a beast though.

But yeah, that was robbery. Either the Empire alone or the amp could easily go for $500 or more by themselves.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 19, 2017

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I found a Napa Valley 100 cassette holder today for $5 :toot:

I got one about five years ago and have been looking for a matching one ever since.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 20, 2017

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
KT-8300 Stereo Tuner. Just this morning it was playing fine, then cut out and the volume was muted to like....10%. Turning it off and on didn’t fix it. Giving it an ever so gentle ‘technical tap’ on upper left portion of the faceplate did.

It’s cut out twice this morning, but currently been playing for more than an hour without incident. Any ideas?

I just sent the KA-9100 to be serviced last week and would have sent this too, but this is the first time having a problem with it?

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
Dry solder joint. Go over it with a soldering iron.

Dry joints are easy to spot.

Google images will help.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Got back from holiday at future in-laws' to find my tape deck had arrived :rock:

Sansui SC-2100

Except my new belts haven't arrived yet.

poot
Apr 21, 2010
I found a Sony ps-333 turntable at my parents house. Does anyone know if i'ts decent and worth saving from storage?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

poot posted:

I found a Sony ps-333 turntable at my parents house. Does anyone know if i'ts decent and worth saving from storage?

It's a direct drive, so it can't be that bad. It probably will work without putting any more money into it as long as the needle is good. It's not very valuable but I wouldn't have any qualms about using it.

poot
Apr 21, 2010

wa27 posted:

It's a direct drive, so it can't be that bad. It probably will work without putting any more money into it as long as the needle is good. It's not very valuable but I wouldn't have any qualms about using it.

Thanks! Sounds decent enough to test at least.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Wooo, changed the belts, deoxit'd the pots, and lubed a stuck rail that was making things bad for reasons I still don't understand, and I'm solid. Doesn't sound too bad.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Is it worth investing in a new stylus for a Technics SL-BD20D? Stock it seems to have some issues with popping noises on every record I play (brand new or vintage). I was thinking something like the Audio-Technica AT92ECD would help. Do you think swapping the stylus would lessen the popping I am hearing?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

CRAYON posted:

Is it worth investing in a new stylus for a Technics SL-BD20D? Stock it seems to have some issues with popping noises on every record I play (brand new or vintage). I was thinking something like the Audio-Technica AT92ECD would help. Do you think swapping the stylus would lessen the popping I am hearing?

Have you been doing a regular cleaning of the stylus?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
If you’re still on the original cart I’d just pick up that AT.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you don't know when the last time the stylus was replaced, just replace it.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Might pay to check the arm is weighted correctly too (if it has that adjustment). I moved my turntable recently and must have bumped the weight, I noticed it wasn’t tracking correctly but there was also a lot of popping

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
P mount can’t be adjusted usually

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

So I went to clean the stylus because I'm a bonehead and never even thought of that. Unfortunately upon inspection I noticed the stylus was all jacked up. It looked bent, or like it was falling out of the cartridge. I ended up fully breaking it while trying to fix it, so now I have an AT cartridge on the way.

Also ordered a cleaning kit so I can be an adult and maintain my turntable. Thx for the help.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Once the needle is jacked up in some way it's better to just replace. You can fix them sometimes but it's only worth it if they're very valuable and not worn. Probably not even then honestly. Also the new cart will probably sound better.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I’m in the process of looking for a turnkey-ready table for my sister, and it turns out that Audio Technica has released two new well-reviewed units in the last year or so. Does anybody have any thoughts on the LP-3 and LP-5 yet? I’ve been aware of recent arrivals from other brands (Pioneer, Sony, etc) but these seem particularly interesting and the reviews have been notably more positive.

Based on reviews the LP-5 looks like it could be a definite direct-drive alternative to the ProJects/Regas that dominate in the $300-$500 range. It maintains the SL1200/LP120 shape but removes some of the more DJ-centric features for a sleeker appearance. The LP-3 is a tougher sell since there are quite a few new belt-drive tables at the $200-$300 range (although many/most in that range don’t have things like rca jacks or 33/45 rpm control switches) and also the LP-120 still exists for roughly the same price if you don’t mind a plastic 1200 clone with a hardwired stereo output. But if you’re not looking to spend more than $300, it looks like one of the ‘nicest’/most polished and complete new turntables you can get at that MSRP.

It seems like the market for both used and new turntables has really changed a bunch in the last few years since ~2011. I wonder if it’s worth updating the OP at some point.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It maintains the SL1200/LP120 shape but removes some of the more DJ-centric features for a sleeker appearance.

That's not how you spell "removes features for a much lower manufacturing cost". The appearance is a by-product.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It's a lot more expensive than a 120 and the biggest draw seems to be that it bypasses the built in phono amp more. Spec-wise they look very similar. Would have to do some listening to see if one could tell much difference, I guess.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's not how you spell "removes features for a much lower manufacturing cost". The appearance is a by-product.

Fair, but if you’re cross-shopping with- say- Regas and ProJects you’re probably not looking at those features as necessary selling points.

Dogen posted:

It's a lot more expensive than a 120 and the biggest draw seems to be that it bypasses the built in phono amp more. Spec-wise they look very similar. Would have to do some listening to see if one could tell much difference, I guess.

Yeah, seems like the plinth material may be a bit denser and the anti-skate also improved but otherwise a lot of features are very similar (though not actually interchangeable between the two tables, according to press). I don’t actually have a problem with the 95e like a lot of people seem to. IMO it’s a good enough cart for 99% of listeners until people start telling each other otherwise on the internet. In any case, I guess I’ll go back to cross-shopping used 1200s and new Debut Esprit DCs as eventual replacements for our current Debut 3.

Wading into the morass of other forums for information was a real bad idea- I guess the rising popularity of vinyl over the last few years has brought a lot more idiots to the fold/maybe I was a similar idiot back seven years ago when I got into this/maybe we’re all idiots and we never stopped being idiots, this is a vinyl thread after all. But anyway the word on Vinyl Me Please seems to be that an upgraded U-Turn Orbit is the best mid-range table a person can get, “the LP-120 is no better than a crosley”, and “Rega themselves admit that upgrading the cart on an RP1 is worthless and won’t have any effect.” Also Eastern European MDF tables are better than Hanpin-made tables because they require more work and therefore exemplify what vinyl is about and that is how you can tell apart the Urban Outfitters plebs from the true hobbyists who subscribe to a record of the month club that sends them basically the same records sold at Urban Outfitters.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -