Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dexo posted:

It was abolished when neither Hinata or Hanabi got a curse mark.

I thought that was because they were both from the Main branch and Neji already got his? It probably happened before Naruto became Hokage though since neither Boruto or Himawari have one (not that Naruto would have allowed it to happen anyway).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Don't think too hard about the branch family thing, it doesn't make that much sense and it's clearly not a plot point that any of the writers care about now.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Hah, apparently Boruto really does live in fear of the day his baby sister will kick his rear end again. And Hinata just fukken accepts it.

"Oh my God, she's gonna kill me! Again!"
"Yeah, prolly. I'll pick out a nice plot for you honey."

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Nov 9, 2017

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the new episode of boruto is cool

i don't know poo poo about the manga but it's cool that boruto seems like he's actually good at ninja'ing as opposed to naruto kind of falling rear end backwards into godly power and that kakashi even seems to think it's a point against him

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I like that Kakashi doesn't seem to age, he just gets taller (seriously, he didn't look all that much different when he was a kid either).

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the new episode of boruto is cool

i don't know poo poo about the manga but it's cool that boruto seems like he's actually good at ninja'ing as opposed to naruto kind of falling rear end backwards into godly power and that kakashi even seems to think it's a point against him

I also liked that Kakashi addressed Boruto being basically chunin level while in the academy. I know the power creep got pretty insane in naruto, but when Naruto graduated from the academy he was struggling to make a single clone. His son can do multiple nature transformations and he's what, 10?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I got unreasonably hype when kakashi turned out to be using an actual disguise and not henge no jutsu. The writers have access to all these easy mode plot devices with ninja magic, and yet they keep doing things the clever but hard way. I love it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Especially because against some people it’s probably more effective.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

JahRoo posted:

Don't think too hard about the branch family thing, it doesn't make that much sense and it's clearly not a plot point that any of the writers care about now.
If it's from Part 1 of Naruto most of the time the manga didn't care and the spin-off manga super doesn't care.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is this a good place to talk about Shippuden if I'm watching it rn? :shobon:

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

As long as you're not afraid of spoilers on account of boruto being a sequel show, this is probably as good a place as any considering the shippuden threads been dead for like 9 months.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

JahRoo posted:

As long as you're not afraid of spoilers on account of boruto being a sequel show, this is probably as good a place as any considering the shippuden threads been dead for like 9 months.

No that's totally fine! I read the manga before when it was releasing up until some point during The Fourth Great Ninja War, I can't remember up until where but pretty far into it. I've also been told about the ending with the Chakra tree woman and that's what honestly put me off finally watching Shippuden last year. I originally just dropped the manga in my teens when I stopped watching anime and manga for ages. I recently watched the episodes of Sasuke and Naruto's final fight and I didn't really like the chakra Gundam part of it but when they were both exhausted beating the gently caress out of each other that ruled.

I just finished the reunion arc and now Naruto is finding out about Chakra types. I was initially annoyed that Sasuke was so much stronger than the other two but then it was specifically mentioned he must be using drugs and forbidden jutsu for rapid growth so that's fine by me. Also I guess Yamato said he hadn't actually tried hard yet and Sai got zapped saving Naruto.

I remember there being a lot of revisionism around Hokage history and The First becoming super important and the strongest ever when Madara became relevant but I don't care and The Yellow Flash will forever be the strongest Hokage of my heart :patriot:

e: My only gripe is that Naruto seems no stronger than before the timeskip really. He still can't do the Rasengan single handed, the giant one kind of sucks, he broke out of a genjutsu but not enough, and the nine-tails stuff is really bad and he shouldn't use it! I remember he gets hella strong over the course of Shippuden but it's kind of lame he hasn't really seemed to have progressed even compared to Sakura.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 10, 2017

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
There is a bunch of lame stuff in naruto, like the chakra gundams, but Naruto's power level growth is one of the better parts of the series imo. He has to work pretty hard, and come up with patchwork solutions to his flaws (mostly poor chakra control), in order to become strong enough once he stops relying on the fox.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mymla posted:

There is a bunch of lame stuff in naruto, like the chakra gundams, but Naruto's power level growth is one of the better parts of the series imo. He has to work pretty hard, and come up with patchwork solutions to his flaws (mostly poor chakra control), in order to become strong enough once he stops relying on the fox.

Yeah there's a lot of lame stuff coming but the core of Naruto is really good and fun if you just accept that, I actually love the pre-timeskip stuff a lot and Naruto vs Sasuke still holds up imo. The animation for it and the forest fight with Orochimaru look great and have great choreography.

I totally agree that his growth rules when he's not relying on the fox, it's just a shame that it fells like his growth all starts after the reunion. I really liked Yamato's speech about Naruto saving people with his own power not the fox's and I really liked that Naruto took that on board. It's also insanely funny to me that Naruto's dad invented the Rasengan which I at first assumed was because he too struggled with handsigns but then I remembered literally everything else Minato did had insanely fast handseals and chakra control.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
rasengan was supposed to be the base for elemental versions, but minato died before he got that far. it's unclear how he viewed the basic version, but considering how ridiculous the dude was it probably wasn't up to his standards.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Despite the excessive amounts of filler (which I'll admit, there are some arcs i actually kind of like) I actually think the Naruto anime (both of them) is better than the manga in some aspects, mostly due to the fight scenes and the fact they actually bother to explain some aspects the manga just sort of glosses over (such as Anko's connection with Orochimaru).

Hell, some characters like Tenten have gotten more screen time/development in a single episode of the anime then they have in the entire manga combined and despite being almost exclusively original material so far the Boruto anime has been surprisingly decent.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
tenten got plenty of focus in the best thing to come out of naruto, rock lee's springtime of youth.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

tenten got plenty of focus in the best thing to come out of naruto, rock lee's springtime of youth.

That was good too. Speaking of which, whatever happened to the Sasuke-related follow up to that that was supposed to come out?

I just always found it weird that in the main manga she seemed more like a prop than she did an actual character. I think she's only shown actually fighting like twice in the entire thing, every other battle we typically just cut to the aftermath and leave the anime to fill in the details.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 10, 2017

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Larryb posted:

That was good too. Speaking of which, whatever happened to the Sasuke-related follow up to that that was supposed to come out?

I just always found it weird that in the main manga she seemed more like a prop than she did an actual character. I think she's only shown actually fighting like twice in the entire thing, every other battle we typically just cut to the aftermath and leave the anime to fill in the details.

She was made to have a vagina.

No, really. Kishi made Lee and Neji and wanted to keep up the 2 boys 1 girl thing the teams had to he made Tenten on a whim and put 0 work into her character. Every bit of her characterization is the creation of Studio Pierrot and Springtime, to the point where Tenten at the end of the series is just her straight-man Sprintime chacter.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flytrap posted:

She was made to have a vagina.

No, really. Kishi made Lee and Neji and wanted to keep up the 2 boys 1 girl thing the teams had to he made Tenten on a whim and put 0 work into her character. Every bit of her characterization is the creation of Studio Pierrot and Springtime, to the point where Tenten at the end of the series is just her straight-man Sprintime chacter.

And it shows, aside from a line about her wanting to be a great female ninja like Tsunade (which is never mentioned again) she barely exists as far as the main manga is concerned (hell, I don't think she's shown up in Boruto at all yet). It's almost funny really, has there ever been a character in any other series that's as much of a non-entity as Tenten is?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 10, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

she was in the boruto movie, at least :sigh:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

dogsicle posted:

she was in the boruto movie, at least :sigh:

Ah that's right, she was one of the ones running the Chunin exams if I remember right. Though on that note, has Kiba shown up yet either?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Larryb posted:

Ah that's right, she was one of the ones running the Chunin exams if I remember right. Though on that note, has Kiba shown up yet either?

he was with the group of naruto's classmates who carried him home when he got drunk. also got a cameo in one of the recent eps as a celebrity ninja who endorses dog food.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
In Boruto, it's better just not know that your favorite Naruto ninjas probably aren't going to show up very much. Sai got a surprisingly high amount of airtime teaching Inojin the ninja art jutsu.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sai is superior to Sasuke.

I really liked Kakuzu letting Hidan get cut up lmao. I remembered Hidan's immortality but forgot about his curse and skelton outfit until I saw them again. I can't remember Hidan's exactly but I have a vague idea he has like a load of arms and each one has a different Chakra type.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Hidan is immortal because of his religion or something, it's not fully explained. It seems grossly OP since all he has to do is get his body parts reattached if they get cut off, but none of the other godly ninja we've met in the story bothered investigating this cult full of immortal assholes to figure out how they do it.

Kakuzu is more of the generic anime science situation where he uses other people's hearts to prolong his own life, which is possible because of some forbidden technique he stole before defecting from Takigakure. (Each heart is taken from different ninja so they have affinities for different chakra types)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ah yes that sounds familiar, and I think the Shuriken hits them all at once or something on a cellular level! Agreed on it being weird that Orochimaru or Sasori weren't at all interested in Hidan's immortality or any of them really. I'm glad he just has to live at the bottom of a hole and it never came back up.

It's cheesy but "How can someone who can't save even one friend be Hokage" is very effective narratively.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sai had issues, but he was willing to put in the work to deal with them instead of dedicating his life to acting how he thought was cool when he was 12 years old

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hidan despite his immortality was probably the weakest of the Akatsuki. Cause if you decapitated or mauled his body to uselessness he was still helpless and could not do anything.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

sai had issues, but he was willing to put in the work to deal with them instead of dedicating his life to acting how he thought was cool when he was 12 years old

"Sasuke I have decided to capture you because I want to see the bonds Naruto has forged with you. I also took this book out of the library, it's called 'How To Not Be A Huge Baby Bitch'"

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hidan despite his immortality was probably the weakest of the Akatsuki. Cause if you decapitated or mauled his body to uselessness he was still helpless and could not do anything.

Well that's true for an awful lot of the other members too! I do agree though because outside of his immortality his curse doesn't seem that strong when you know how it works and you're part of a team rather than solo. So far he hasn't shown any huge damage output that the other members are capable in various ways either.

e: I'm watching the start of their fight with Shikamaru now and yeah Hidan kind of sucks and needs Kakuzu to hold his hand. Clearly only hired for his immortality and love of killing.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 11, 2017

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I'm assuming the reason nobody bothers with Hidan's Immortality is because he's the only known practitioner of his religion and could you imagine actually asking him how he did it. Especially if it's legitimately from his god and so you'd have to actually join the religion and act like he does. Also Akatsuki, even with the extended backstory we later discover, are still a pretty cool collection of villains marred by an incredibly stupid meta-plot.

I think it was in fact pointed out at one point that Hidan and Kakuzu are stuck together because they kept killing their previous partners, and whilst Hidan isn't particularly capable on his own he's an insanely useful trump card if you can get him to pay attention. I don't think there's a character shown who could actually survive his mutual damage gimmick if he didn't gently caress around.

Heck, I think one of the games has a fantastic tag team Jutsu for Hidan and Kakuzu which basically amounts to Hidan getting off the ritual and Kakuzu hitting Hidan with everything he has. Which is arguably why they're partnered in the end, they can't hurt/damage one another too much and neither is really good at the whole no collateral damage thing.

I can see plenty of uses for both, it's just like most of the Akatsuki Partnerships they are theoretically great together but in practice can't work together long enough to save their own lives. In contrast to Kisame and Itachi who are in fact successful as partners.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 11, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It seems to me like up until Pain's assault on Konaha everything is good and it's not until the ninja war that the wheels really come off and the flood gates on all the dumbest poo poo comes out. I mean you still have Yin Yang chakra and Madara before then but w/e. The stuff I'm really not looking forward to is all in the ninja war and after. My main worry about Boruto is how OP everything gets and the magical chakra people are the main villains? Aren't those some of the worst parts of Naruto?

The episode with Asuma's funeral is by far the best episode of Shippuden by far and was amazingly well done, was there a guest director for it?

e: Why don't crunchyroll sub the omakes or after credits scenes :saddowns: Some of them look funny and others legitimately important or cool.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

My main worry about Boruto is how OP everything gets and the magical chakra people are the main villains? Aren't those some of the worst parts of Naruto?

Yeah, it's worrying, but so far Boruto has been better than Naruto ever was, and there's certainly a chance of it staying that way. Maybe when we get to the flash-forward stuff from the first episode, all the people capable of Gundam no Jutsu will be dead.

Besides, even when the power level bullshit was in full effect, I still enjoyed Naruto.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I don't think Bort will be as strong as his dad as long as Naruto has Kurama chilling inside him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Even without Kurama, Naruto still has Sage mode.

Naruto is dumb powerful.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think it was in fact pointed out at one point that Hidan and Kakuzu are stuck together because they kept killing their previous partners, and whilst Hidan isn't particularly capable on his own he's an insanely useful trump card if you can get him to pay attention. I don't think there's a character shown who could actually survive his mutual damage gimmick if he didn't gently caress around.

To be exact Hidan was recruited so he could be Kakuzu's partner, he was the newest member of the group. (After Tobi but he does not really count) Kakuzu would lose his temper and kill his other partners so they gave him a partner he could not kill. If Kakuzu mauled Hidan into uselessness then he could always put him back together. (Guy seemed to have a calm and pragmatic head on him when he did not lose himself to a rage.)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Dexo posted:

Even without Kurama, Naruto still has Sage mode.

Naruto is dumb powerful.

The thought was more "what could Naruto do that Boruto couldn't?" And my thought is Bort could technically learn sage mode at some point but he's never going to have a huge source of energy inside him, even if he's an Uzumaki.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
unlike naruto, bort is just a naturally gifted ninja. however, there have been several 'normal' ninjas who were completely ridiculous.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Bort also has a currently dormant unexplained eye power lying in wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Boruto is simply within Hiashi's master plan.