Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

PerrineClostermann posted:

Is it wild quotes about bitcoin time?

Ah yes, Brianna is Boston's greatest moonbat. She did a recent rant about the dangers of moon meteorites too I think.

Edit: here we go, totally doesn't look like a crazy person at all... https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/feb/28/brianna-wu-claims-companies-could-destroy-cities-b/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
She has a history of being at odds with reality, but in this case she’s apparently quoting some guy who talked to Ars. And whether that guy is also an idiot or Ars got him out of context, a statement that was probably intended to be “I’d current trends hold...” was misinterpreted as “current trends WILL hold”.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Ah yes, Brianna is Boston's greatest moonbat. She did a recent rant about the dangers of moon meteorites too I think.

Edit: here we go, totally doesn't look like a crazy person at all... https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/feb/28/brianna-wu-claims-companies-could-destroy-cities-b/

I mean she's not entirely wrong. Dislodging large chunks of rock and sending them into a trans-earth injection could pose a massive danger to anything it hit. The kinetic energy of an artificially constructed asteroid strike would be enough to wipe major cities off the map.

The logistics of pulling something like that off on the other hand are so enormous that building a fleet of ICBMs is cheaper.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Craptacular! posted:

She has a history of being at odds with reality, but in this case she’s apparently quoting some guy who talked to Ars. And whether that guy is also an idiot or Ars got him out of context, a statement that was probably intended to be “I’d current trends hold...” was misinterpreted as “current trends WILL hold”.

https://twitter.com/Spacekatgal/status/939708183358115840

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
i really am sort of bright

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

source your quotes please

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2004875.msg26048093#msg26048093

Or dirty poo poo like this

Or the :qq:ing from every comment on

https://www.facebook.com/NiceHash/

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 10, 2017

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Lots of people with 6+ GPU's or ASICs complaining that the only way they can figure out how to mine is with NiceHash and that they are out a lot of money. Guess it's too hard to spend a few minutes researching alternatives.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

mysteryberto posted:

Lots of people with 6+ GPU's or ASICs complaining that the only way they can figure out how to mine is with NiceHash and that they are out a lot of money. Guess it's too hard to spend a few minutes researching alternatives.

they came with stars in their eyes. they spent tens of thousands of dollars on hardware to use exclusively with nicehash and kept all their poo poo in web wallets. ignoring the signs in their way, they pressed onward like ants marching toward a lump of sugar. now, at the blindingly obvious conclusion, they are laid to waste in the sun. one such creature raises a crackling arm skyward, its precious bitcoins scattered on the parched earth, out of reach. the others lie twisting on the salted ground, no quarter from the elements. with a primal screech, the vultures of schadenfreude descent from the heights of the internet to feast upon their entrails. the self ownage is complete.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

they came with stars in their eyes. they spent tens of thousands of dollars on hardware to use exclusively with nicehash and kept all their poo poo in web wallets. ignoring the signs in their way, they pressed onward like ants marching toward a lump of sugar. now, at the blindingly obvious conclusion, they are laid to waste in the sun. one such creature raises a crackling arm skyward, its precious bitcoins scattered on the parched earth, out of reach. the others lie twisting on the salted ground, no quarter from the elements. with a primal screech, the vultures of schadenfreude descent from the heights of the internet to feast upon their entrails. the self ownage is complete.

:bitcoin:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/NiceHashMiner?src=hash

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lol I am the cheap rickety box holding thousands of dollars in computer equipment

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oh my god Christmas came early, some of those are just... magnificent

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://twitter.com/Truexile420/status/939876058702032897?s=17

I mean poo poo on my wooden thing that sits in a wintered garage safely all you want look at these tropical solutions jfc

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Risky Bisquick posted:

I mean poo poo on my wooden thing that sits in a wintered garage safely all you want look at these tropical solutions jfc

It is all dumb. It is dumb all the way down.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Risky Bisquick posted:

I mean poo poo on my wooden thing that sits in a wintered garage safely all you want

Okay.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Load temps in the high 40s, garage is 10c because of the miner.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Risky Bisquick posted:

Peachfart posted:

It is all dumb. It is dumb all the way down.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

Thank you for contributing to the end of the world, thanks to all of the small contributions from individuals like yourself we're on track for getting this whole thing over and done with way ahead of schedule, great job

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Risky Bisquick posted:

I actually chuckled out loud at this, nice 👍

Bitcoin is the new gift that keeps on giving

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Buy flame retardant its cheap and it works for computer components on wood. The chances of lighting a 2x4 on fire properly is unlikely but why risk it. Once dust settles in the dominos get set up for a bad day

I like some risk in my pancakes but lets practice safe breakfast

Hmm cant think of any others

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lol if you think that any of the people building mining rigs are thinking about fire safety

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
Guy tries to figure out why mining rig won't boot. https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/16236/monitor-not-displaying-anything-not-sure-if-the-rig-boots-ready-to-pay-if-someone-helps-me-start

Takes a few posts before he uploads this pic:

Who would have thought mashing a CPU into a socket would end badly?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
all those pc building guides that say installing a cpu may take more force than you think is enough and the creaking sound is normal. He really took it to heart and jammed it in.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

mysteryberto posted:

Guy tries to figure out why mining rig won't boot. https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/16236/monitor-not-displaying-anything-not-sure-if-the-rig-boots-ready-to-pay-if-someone-helps-me-start

Takes a few posts before he uploads this pic:

Who would have thought mashing a CPU into a socket would end badly?

But that side doesn’t even have any fiddly bits... shameful design, intel

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
A reminder that southern California continues to be very much On Fire, and I just got an alert from the NOAA that my area in the Midwest is going to be under increased fire threat due to continuing drought conditions, low relative humidity, leaf litter and dry grass, and fast winds.

Just because it's winter in the northern hemisphere doesn't mean you get to stop thinking about fire safety.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Risky Bisquick posted:

Nice, looking good! Very good. Nice. Looking fine.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Some personal favourites from the NiceHash Mining Accident Futures Collection in handy blog link form

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kerning Chameleon posted:

A reminder that southern California continues to be very much On Fire, and I just got an alert from the NOAA that my area in the Midwest is going to be under increased fire threat due to continuing drought conditions, low relative humidity, leaf litter and dry grass, and fast winds.

Just because it's winter in the northern hemisphere doesn't mean you get to stop thinking about fire safety.

but how will they dry their strawberries???

Scarecow posted:

Yeah so far winminer has been a giant waste of power for me with 1080tis mining zen or some poo poo and not even hitting $4 per card

Wow, a waste of power you say? Gosh who woulda thunk

Zero VGS posted:

Buttcoin’s electricity usage is common knowledge. The networks already using more electricity than Ireland.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Has anyone cashed out of winminer yet?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Tremors posted:

Nah, I'm letting them keep my mortgage payments in their hot-wallet because they are Buttcoin Professionals (tm) and know what they're doing to keep my taco-dollars safe!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Tremors posted:

Yes, it was very easy, though I opted for litecoin because there is no network delay at all.

edit: twice already actually

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 11, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Tremors posted:

I think the minimum is $20 for Amazon GC so I should be able to try it some time today.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I love my dead, gay currency.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Themage posted:

Buttcoin’s electricity usage is common knowledge. The networks already using more electricity than Ireland.

Yes, I know that and it is unfortunate, I was just saying that individual is so batshit it invalidates any point she tries to make. A broken clock is still right twice a day.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

On the electricity thing, bitcoin is worth so much money now that being upset about electricity cost is getting a little irrelevant. You're going to have to also compare the electricity costs to run financial networks at this point, while not apples to apples, its not like its being pissed into the wind anymore. Unless you think money is worthless and shouldn't consume resources, which is another topic.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

1gnoirents posted:

On the electricity thing, bitcoin is worth so much money now that being upset about electricity cost is getting a little irrelevant. You're going to have to also compare the electricity costs to run financial networks at this point, while not apples to apples, its not like its being pissed into the wind anymore. Unless you think money is worthless and shouldn't consume resources, which is another topic.

please point me toward an analysis of the collective power consumption of fiat currency worldwide and tell me how it compares to bitcoin mining.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I don't even get the point of arguing, it sucks about the power consumption but there's nothing that can be done short of bitcoin users having a consensus and developing a workaround, or governments auditing citizens' power consumption.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
It makes sense in the context of pushing back against the True Believers who think that *coin will/should largely or entirely supplant national fiat currencies by reminding them that we'd have to literally dedicate entirety of the power budget of the developed world to make that happen. Which isn't gonna happen. Hence *coins are self-limiting in that respect, and will never and can never supplant basic national currencies that aren't built atop the ziggurat of computationally-expensive transactions.

Of course, the True Believer will never accept this reality, so having the argument in the first place is a fool's errand. :shrug:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

DrDork posted:

It makes sense in the context of pushing back against the True Believers who think that *coin will/should largely or entirely supplant national fiat currencies by reminding them that we'd have to literally dedicate entirety of the power budget of the developed world to make that happen. Which isn't gonna happen. Hence *coins are self-limiting in that respect, and will never and can never supplant basic national currencies that aren't built atop the ziggurat of computationally-expensive transactions.

Of course, the True Believer will never accept this reality, so having the argument in the first place is a fool's errand. :shrug:

Are any of the more optimized *coins sustainable in the long run though for transactions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Are any of the more optimized *coins sustainable in the long run though for transactions?

Not in any sort of meaningful way. They all require a fairly large amount of computational power be utilized to verify transactions. Sure, some *coins are more expensive than others at this, but they're all massively more expensive than your basic USD credit card transaction, to say nothing of cash. This is an issue inherent to the design of any massively distributed peer-based *coin network.

• Locked thread