Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I eat cookies everyday and since I started I've increased my lifts and lost weight faster.

I don't like white bread though. I like cookies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
What kind of cookies?
Ive been eating lots pf sourdough + avocado + poached egg + cream cheese brekkies

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Yea I started getting my pubsubs on multigrain instead of white so I can fit more southern style cheesecake in

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So uh I just had the strangest form of successful gym session

I've skipped for two days now because on Thursday I had two back-to-back office parties, the second of which was at a rodizio and thus involved endless amounts of meat and generously portioned cocktails until 12:30, when I had to sprint to catch the last train out

which was delayed by 90 minutes because lol Hoboken, and the trip is 90 minutes to begin with, so it was 4 AM by the time I got home

And then I was up at 5AM to catch the train back in to work

So naturally yesterday evening I didn't get to do any gym either because by 9:30 I was interested in nothing but sleeping for 11 hours, which I proceeded to do, all according to keikaku

Now it's snowing and I got back into the gym and discovered that for some reason I was able not only to break through my previously unattainable bench press PR of 184, but got it to 194 and nearly 199 before running out of steam; and then double cardio sessions without even getting that fatigued

I'll let you know when my book's coming out

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I fuckin hate squats and i wish theyd gently caress off why is it that i camt squat what the gently caress is wrong with me FFFUUUCK

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Try some variety, like front squats or goblet squats or suitcase squats.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Kettlebell suitcase squats are great btw. Asymmetrical movements in general are cool.

*core, stabilizers, etc.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Pulsing pain in my elbow for best part of 24 hours now.

That's good though, right? No pain no gain?

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Could be cancer, or ultra-cancer.

Doctors recommendation? Lift more weight until you cant feel no more

Note: I am not a doctor

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Data Graham posted:

So uh I just had the strangest form of successful gym session

I've skipped for two days now because on Thursday I had two back-to-back office parties, the second of which was at a rodizio and thus involved endless amounts of meat and generously portioned cocktails until 12:30, when I had to sprint to catch the last train out

which was delayed by 90 minutes because lol Hoboken, and the trip is 90 minutes to begin with, so it was 4 AM by the time I got home

And then I was up at 5AM to catch the train back in to work

So naturally yesterday evening I didn't get to do any gym either because by 9:30 I was interested in nothing but sleeping for 11 hours, which I proceeded to do, all according to keikaku

Now it's snowing and I got back into the gym and discovered that for some reason I was able not only to break through my previously unattainable bench press PR of 184, but got it to 194 and nearly 199 before running out of steam; and then double cardio sessions without even getting that fatigued

I'll let you know when my book's coming out
It's almost as if rest is important?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fartbox posted:

Could be cancer, or ultra-cancer.

Doctors recommendation? Lift more weight until you cant feel no more

Note: I am not a doctor

I've opened my xmas bottle of bourbon and will do that until I can't feel instead.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

sassassin posted:

Gotta do some reverse curls brother.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Chief McHeath posted:

Gotta do some reverse curls brother.

How will they help my hosed up shoulder?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

sassassin posted:

My inner elbow still hurts from that dumbass arm wrestling match. Only if I'm lifting something heavy like 5 bags of groceries on one arm though. I hope it's gone in a few days, it's been like 3 or 4 so far.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I've arm wrestled drunk a few times, and every time my hand and elbow have hurt afterwards. Don't do it.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
How long before it went away? It seems just like regular golfer's elbow. I may have to postpone my benching day tomorrow.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I don't remember it's been a while. When I've had pain my elbow and wanted to bench, I've laid down, grabbed the bar and felt out how it feels to put the weight on the joint. If there is like a stinging pain, I don't bench.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 11, 2017

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Mine only triggers when I'm almost in full elbow flexion. So if I do a pull up, it's pain free until like the top 1/4 of the movement. During heavy OHP it felt fine until the bottom portion of the negative. I dunno, I'll just see how it feels in a few days. I'm sure it's not serious, otherwise I'd think I'd feel pain during a lot of day to day stuff.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I arm wrestled last festivus, couldn't bench for almost 2 months, i think.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Well, I can do pushups with no pain at least. Guess for a few days I'll just do pushups/lower body. My triceps could use the work anyway and they are good for your shoulders.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

sassassin posted:

How will they help my hosed up shoulder?

The post I quoted mentioned elbow pain?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I heard light, neutral grip curls were good for your elbow but I'm not sure for exactly which problem or how effective it really is.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Chief McHeath posted:

The post I quoted mentioned elbow pain?

The elbow pain is a product of the ongoing narrative that is my hosed up shoulder/life.

I hope. Hate to think I have a third problem.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
i would post about my recent injury but i dont want to appear weak

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I took the thread's advice to heart regarding my knee tendonitis and haven't squatted in many weeks. I can say I miss it just a *little*. Only lifting the upper body is so much less intense.

Looking forward to my knee immediately hurting again upon trying my first squats after xmas!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
is it acceptable to use a rack for OHP?

ive just normally used barbells but im getting up there in the weight and i dont like lifting barbells from the floor.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 11, 2017

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Yeah it's cool

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
lifting poo poo over your head is probably like the original lift in human history. Cavemen prob did it to impress cave women or dudes if they were gay on the DL.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

id argue the deadlift came first

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I can lift more weight cleaning my press first but feel it more in my shoulders off the rack. Try both.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I do my deadlifts off pins with the pins at the lowest level because it makes it much, much easier to add weight to the bar.

The range of motion is like, 1.5 centimeters off where it would be from the floor, but this morning one of the gym newbies felt compelled to stop me and "form check" me because she was convinced this would lead to me being more likely to injure myself, despite lifting well below my 1RM and with immaculate form and a super tight core.

Was she trying to gently caress me?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
All women know that extra inch makes all the difference.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I do my deadlifts off pins with the pins at the lowest level because it makes it much, much easier to add weight to the bar.

The range of motion is like, 1.5 centimeters off where it would be from the floor, but this morning one of the gym newbies felt compelled to stop me and "form check" me because she was convinced this would lead to me being more likely to injure myself, despite lifting well below my 1RM and with immaculate form and a super tight core.

no she prob felt bad for your lazy rear end lmao

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
It's a DEADlift. You have to pull it from 6ft under the earth or it doesn't count.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

We've made a lot of progress as a lifting society if women are giving men unasked-for form advice.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Fallows posted:

id argue the deadlift came first

yeah ripping stuff out of the earth is important

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

There is a guy at my gym who does this but he also drops the weight back on to the pins from the full height.

On a related note, it is nearly impossible to find a straight Olympic bar at my gym.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I just roll the plates onto a 2.5 to add weight. No muss, no fuss.

I always assumed the fear of death gave me an extra boost on the bench and only asked for spots when going for maxes. But today my 4th set was a little iffy so I asked for a spot on the 5th and it was easy as hell. :iiam:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

nooneofconsequence posted:

I just roll the plates onto a 2.5 to add weight. No muss, no fuss.

Same.

nooneofconsequence posted:

I always assumed the fear of death gave me an extra boost on the bench and only asked for spots when going for maxes. But today my 4th set was a little iffy so I asked for a spot on the 5th and it was easy as hell. :iiam:

Fear of shame is more powerful than fear of death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Fallows posted:

no she prob felt bad for your lazy rear end lmao

i am UNBELIEVABLY lazy, but its worked out for me okay for me so far soooooo