Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

viral spiral posted:

Who's the main antagonist of TPM even?

I believe this thread has landed on Jar Jar Binks. He's the most down-trodden and displays outdated racial stereotypes so he's the one the audience in supposed to sympathize with...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like it could be Obi-Wan, but it's not structured well. You can also make the argument for Qui-Gon.

What about Anakin? He's supposed to be the big bad of the series, correct? We don't meet him until an hour into the film, and even then, the audience was supposed to identify with a little kid?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It's a children's movie you idiot. The answer is yes: kids are supposed to identify with the kid onscreen.

Who is the main antagonist? Well let's see the main antagonist of the prior film was the Emperor, Darth Vader, and some stormtroopers. Now the antagonists are the Emperor, his previous acolyte who is a demon with a giant red lightsaber, and some droids that function as stormtroopers. Is this that difficult for you?

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 10, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

These are all bad old takes.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Jewmanji posted:

It's a goddamn children's movie you idiot. The answer is yes: kid's are supposed to identify with the kid onscreen.

I'm talking about the audience as a whole. In this context, who was the main protagonist? Was it Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan? Nobody knows (because it was filmed on an incoherent script).

Bonus points: Who was the main antagonist? Palpatine hasn't revealed himself as a Sith Lord yet, so we're left with 1) Droids, 2) Viceroy, and 3) a Darth Maul cameo. I'm leaning towards the Viceroy, but he's clearly not a threat to the protagonist(s) like Darth Maul is. So, who's the main antagonist of the film?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
That's not lack of coherency. That's you unilaterally rejecting the structure of the film around an ensemble cast and an uncertain, abstract antagonistic force as opposed to a specific antagonist, a phantom menace, if you will.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Yaws posted:

I believe this thread has landed on Jar Jar Binks. He's the most down-trodden and displays outdated racial stereotypes so he's the one the audience in supposed to sympathize with...?

As much as I despise these nonsensical prequels, I won't call George Lucas a racist for the Jar Jar Binks character. In fact, I believe his comment about Disney being "white slavers" was the most accurate thing he has said in years—decades even.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

viral spiral posted:

Palpatine hasn't revealed himself as a Sith Lord yet

The emperor shows up literally in the first two minutes of the film.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jar Jar is the character who undergoes a Campbellian hero's journey, but he is not the viewpoint character, as the film frames him as an embarrassing and contemptible hayseed.

Obi-Wan's perspective most matches that of the viewpoint through which the story is observed, a condescending snob who is utterly taken in by the villain's illusions (it's important to remember that The Phantom Menace is a movie in which the bad guy gets everything he wants and then throws himself a parade), but he's uninvolved with the entire second act.

Qui-Gon is the one who contends with the antagonists most directly, but his inner emotional state is always of secondary importance to those of the more open characters around him, to whom he's a mentor and adviser.

Anakin is the protagonist of the larger trilogy, but he's positioned as much for the characters around him to react to as he is to make decisions on his own, and he's really just along for the ride in the third act.

Padme is the most relatable, as she's the one observing and reacting to the events unfolding around her throughout the entire film, and her tragic flaw is the one expressed in this movie, specifically on the floor of the Senate, but the body double switcheroo is a complication.

So based on that analysis, if I had to choose one single character as The Phantom Menace's sole primary protagonist, I would say it's Padme.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Jewmanji posted:

The emperor shows up literally in the first two minutes of the film.

The protagonist(s)* didn't know that.

Who's the main protagonist again?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Revenge of the Sith is the movie in the entire series that has the clearest single protagonist, honestly.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

viral spiral posted:

The protagonist(s)* didn't know that.

You are unaware of the basic literary conceit of dramatic irony.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Bongo Bill posted:

Revenge of the Sith is the movie in the entire series that has the clearest single protagonist, honestly.

Well, yeah; Lucas finally figured it out in the third prequel after intense criticism of the first two.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Jewmanji posted:

You are unaware of the basic literary conceit of dramatic irony.

Well, I'm glad a forums user with a racist username such as yours is here to educate me about it!

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

viral spiral posted:

Well, I'm glad a forums user with a racist username such as yours is here to educate me about it!

Nah, it's ok. He's Jewish!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

viral spiral posted:

You're welcome. I recommend you start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony#Dramatic_irony.

Sincerely,
Someone who is Jewish.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I am really looking for to The Last Jedi, though; despite my criticisms of it being too similar to ESB. At least the Disney films illustrate competent filmmaking (I know, :barf:), and I really like Rey. It will be sufficient escapism at the very least in these turbulent times.

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Any way ep III is supposed to be pretty great

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Jewmanji posted:

You're welcome. I recommend you start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony#Dramatic_irony.

Sincerely,
Someone who is Jewish.

Maybe you should put that wikipedia link (with a disclaimer) beneath your newbie Trump avatar as an easily accessible point of reference? Really, your username comes off pretty racist at face value.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

viral spiral posted:

I am really looking for to The Last Jedi, though; despite my criticisms of it being too similar to ESB.

How do you have criticisms of a film you haven't seen?

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Steve2911 posted:

How do you have criticisms of a film you haven't seen?

I watched the trailer (AT-ATs, Super Star Destroyer, Rey getting trained with the Force, etc.).

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Huh, who knew!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

But honestly, speaking of these shots above, when Lucas replaced them the primary motivation wasn't even in terms of improving the effects themselves per se--it was in terms of just plain making the shots way better on a basic level. Just look at the original version of the sequence where Biggs is being pursued by a TIE fighter:

Man you just don't get it! The lovely models are good in a charming way, or some other vague, indefinable adjective! The CGI added lacks life, and some other vague indefinable adjective!

Jorj ruined it!

Jewmanji posted:

If this is the first of your many undefendable fusillades please consider this my white flag. Your critique is simply too airtight.

FUNDAMENTALLY flawed!

Where's my obvious mustachio twirling villain explaining his evil plan to the camera in a film called "The Phantom Menace"?

I also already think a film I haven't seen yet is too similar to The Empire Strikes Back! I'm gonna lose it!!

E:

viral spiral posted:

It will be sufficient escapism at the very least in these turbulent times.

Oh, lol. Nice work.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

viral spiral posted:

I watched the trailer (AT-ATs, Super Star Destroyer, Rey getting trained with the Force, etc.).

Probably not going to stop anybody from beating the usual drums, but:

https://twitter.com/Breznican/status/939738342941274112

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 10, 2017

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

The Unfetered One posted:

Any way ep III is supposed to be pretty great

Revenge of the Sith? No, it's pretty bad.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Who's the main antagonist of Oedipus?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah. You have got to stop name dropping ancient literature in order to buttress you argument.

Oedipus what a charterer in Oedipus Rex.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

Well you see, we've learned a lot about the Fundamentals of writing High Quality Scripts since then. Scripts that are not Just Bad.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Have there been any recent like major all digital compositing movies lately?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Empress Brosephine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho9zoH8Bi-U

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The majority of films are completed all-digitally nowadays. The exceptions are largely people like Christopher Nolan and Quentin Tarentino who have the pull to spend money on film. It's a big problem, actually, because there's not enough business to sustain the infrastructure you need for film, overnight processing and delivery of dailies etc.

Going slightly further back, by the time George Lucas is looking at digital cameras, composition itself has been all-digital for at least a decade. No big names are working with physical mattes by the end of the nineties because they suck. It's really the cameras you want to look at for why AOTC and ROTS have the particular 'look' they do.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
I'm afraid of any social media at this point. loving Google Now always highlights websites with giant spoilers in the title.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
You are all foolish. The actual main character of the phantom menace is The Republic.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Phantom Menace switches protagonists halfway in, like Psycho.

It’s initially Jar Jar, then he gets replaced by Anakin - because the racist Jedis literally perform a blood test that determines Anakin is genetically superior.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Hay guys. Who was the MAIN misogynist in Empires Strikes Back?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yaws posted:

Yeah. You have got to stop name dropping ancient literature in order to buttress you argument.

How about Jurassic Park, then? Is Dodgson the main antagonist? He's in the film for maybe five minutes. Is Dennis? He dies before the halfway mark.
Past those two you have John Hammond, who's bad but hardly adversarial, or the raptors, who are hostile but not people.

I'm not trying to say that the Phantom Menace is the equal to Jurassic Park (or Oedipus) but rather to point out that criticizing it for not having an immediately identifiable main protagonist or main antagonist (Palpatine, btw) is very limiting. Many stories don't have main protagonists or antagonists. Many well respected stories don't.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Phantom Menace switches protagonists halfway in, like Psycho.

It’s initially Jar Jar, then he gets replaced by Anakin - because the racist Jedis literally perform a blood test that determines Anakin is genetically superior.

The problem is Jar Jar only get introduced 1/4 into the movie.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

How about Jurassic Park, then? Is Dodgson the main antagonist? He's in the film for maybe five minutes. Is Dennis? He dies before the halfway mark.
Past those two you have John Hammond, who's bad but hardly adversarial, or the raptors, who are hostile but not people.

I'm not trying to say that the Phantom Menace is the equal to Jurassic Park (or Oedipus) but rather to point out that criticizing it for not having an immediately identifiable main protagonist or main antagonist (Palpatine, btw) is very limiting. Many stories don't have main protagonists or antagonists. Many well respected stories don't.

No, my main point was that you lazily brought up Oedipus without even a vague understanding of the myth of Oedipus. You thought you'd get some Smart Points by invoking his name.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Munkaboo posted:

I'm afraid of any social media at this point. loving Google Now always highlights websites with giant spoilers in the title.

There haven't been any confirmed spoilers out in the wild yet. There are some people claiming certain things but nothing solid. Seems like Disney has people on Reddit and other places getting rid of them, even on the leak subreddits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Seriously a significant number of scenes in Wolf of Wall Street were digitally composited.

It's so pervasive you don't even realise it's being done most of the time.